Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby epilogue » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:05 am

Raire wrote:
risotto wrote:hello!! i'm working on making my rabbit free roam, right now he stays in his cage when we're away or we're asleep. his only problem is that he likes to push his litter box around and push it away from where we put it and pee where it used to be. do you know why he does this? we've tried putting down different boxes, but he still doesn't like it.
also what kind of chord protectors do you recommend that are easy to blend in with the walls?
thanks!

They are very... peculiar about where to pee, so really the only solution is to put the litter box back where he wants it. ^^;

I put them into black garden hoses (impossible to chew through & blends in with the shadows) and hide those behind the furniture, so I can't really help you with that. Pretty sure there are a few ideas when you search for "bunny/rabbit proofing".

the thing about him is he moves the box away from where he likes to pee. we put it where he likes but he pushes it away. i think he doesn't like the box/using a litter box.

thank you for suggesting those! i'll look into it <3
epilogue

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nervousdog » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:14 am

@risotto
How high are the sides on the litterbox ? Maybe it's just "too much effort" to get over the sides so he would rather move it to pee than to jump in to pee . Getting a box with shorter sides might help- as long as he doesn't pee over the sides !
My other suggestion would be to put something heavy on either side to he cant push it out of the way- if he wants to pee in that spot then he will have to do so in his box . However, it may create the problem of him deciding to pee somewhere else instead .
aquarius ♡ 3oh!3 stan ♡ dog trainer ♡ 5 . 10 . 20
nervousdog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raire » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:31 am

risotto wrote:the thing about him is he moves the box away from where he likes to pee. we put it where he likes but he pushes it away. i think he doesn't like the box/using a litter box.

thank you for suggesting those! i'll look into it <3

Oh =0
Yeah I recommend the same as nervousdog then, stones/stone plates may help with making the litter box heavier. Also I'm also questioning the kind of box you use, it is indeed very strange. Or maybe he dislikes the litter you use in it? Is that any different?
_________ Image

# If you have any question or problem, please send us a help ticket

:: avatar picture by Tanja Askani :: signature by Jayfrost ::
Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:56 am

BunnoBlizzard wrote:
Blue_Aussie wrote:Aww, that’s amazing that Max gets to free roam. Gem is now mostly free-roaming in my bedroom, I just gated if the half with my door so no one lets her out and in case a dog gets in (not that they would do anything).

My favorite thing is taking Romeo and Echo outside in the summer, It’s snowy and cold here right now otherwise I’d take Gemini out to see how she likes it.

My younger sister and I just made new rabbit toys yesterday, I’m so happy to say that Gem likes them, her old owner said she didn’t like toys but she seems to enjoy them now c:

Her old owner pry just had said that to make them justified for not buying toys, I mean, all bunnies can find toys they like if they give them a shot! They probably just tried to give them a toy once and they didn't use it or something not sure. What are their favorite toys? I'd love to hear so I can try them out with my bun! We move a lot so we're not able to get another rabbit quite yet and when I move to brazil my mum wants to get my little brother a cat since he's been asking for one for at least a year now. I'm still a super new rabbit owner, if you'd ever have any veggie or toy suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Sorry I’m just now seeing this! My rabbit’s (Romeo, Echo, and Gem) favorite toys are Willow baskets, apple branches and tp tubes. They really love weaved cardboard mats and sea grass mats as well!

My boys are very picky with veggies but Kale is their favorite! I’ve just begun to introduce Gem to veggies but she loves kale the best so far too.
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ivyy. » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:50 am

Blue_Aussie wrote:
BunnoBlizzard wrote:
Blue_Aussie wrote:Aww, that’s amazing that Max gets to free roam. Gem is now mostly free-roaming in my bedroom, I just gated if the half with my door so no one lets her out and in case a dog gets in (not that they would do anything).

My favorite thing is taking Romeo and Echo outside in the summer, It’s snowy and cold here right now otherwise I’d take Gemini out to see how she likes it.

My younger sister and I just made new rabbit toys yesterday, I’m so happy to say that Gem likes them, her old owner said she didn’t like toys but she seems to enjoy them now c:

Her old owner pry just had said that to make them justified for not buying toys, I mean, all bunnies can find toys they like if they give them a shot! They probably just tried to give them a toy once and they didn't use it or something not sure. What are their favorite toys? I'd love to hear so I can try them out with my bun! We move a lot so we're not able to get another rabbit quite yet and when I move to brazil my mum wants to get my little brother a cat since he's been asking for one for at least a year now. I'm still a super new rabbit owner, if you'd ever have any veggie or toy suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Sorry I’m just now seeing this! My rabbit’s (Romeo, Echo, and Gem) favorite toys are Willow baskets, apple branches and tp tubes. They really love weaved cardboard mats and sea grass mats as well!

My boys are very picky with veggies but Kale is their favorite! I’ve just begun to introduce Gem to veggies but she loves kale the best so far too.

That flippin' cute! Max keeps jumping on my bed and peeing, do you have any suggestions to help me with this?
hi hi!! i'm ivyy. but you can call me isabella or bella <3

she/her - virgo - owner of two cats and three dogs - previous bun mom - animal enthusiast - equestrian

credit to iceycrushed for making my avatar for my use only <3
ivyy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:11 pm

^hmm... If Max doesn't usually do this, I'd recommend washing everything on the bed in case he smells something that he is perhaps marking? Also, if Max isn't using his litter pan, perhaps try a new design of box or litter. Or have multiple styles for him to choose from in all his favorite potty areas.

I'm not very experienced with free roam rabbits obviously because my 3 aren't at this time, but from what I've learned over the years, maybe that will help :D

Update on my fur-babies, Gemini is doing amazing, I went shopping and bought new stuff to redecorate her area and she loves it. The boys are getting used to her at this point and aren't marking as much in there pen but I still can't wait for January 5th when they get neutered! I'm so excited to get then bonded and hopefully have them all free roaming in my room by spring. C:

Edit: I forgot to add this to the favorite toy list... My rabbits favorite toy is just a cardboard box with 2 holes in it. its there favorite to jump on, run through, and hide in!
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ivyy. » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:07 pm

Cute! I've also tried washing my bed but that hasn't worked yet :( He keeps chewing things like my new book that I bought and my cardboard box for my air freshener thing even though they are out of reach! Good thing Gem and your boyos can be bonded! Excited for you :>

she/her - virgo - owner of two cats and three dogs - previous bun mom - animal enthusiast - equestrian

ivyy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raire » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:43 pm

BunnoBlizzard wrote:Cute! I've also tried washing my bed but that hasn't worked yet :( He keeps chewing things like my new book that I bought and my cardboard box for my air freshener thing even though they are out of reach! Good thing Gem and your boyos can be bonded! Excited for you :>

Well, you will never stop the chewing ^^;
If he keeps chewing those, then they aren't out of reach for him XD Best to give him toys (wood/hay) to chew instead.
_________ Image

# If you have any question or problem, please send us a help ticket

:: avatar picture by Tanja Askani :: signature by Jayfrost ::
Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:05 am

BunnoBlizzard wrote:Cute! I've also tried washing my bed but that hasn't worked yet :( He keeps chewing things like my new book that I bought and my cardboard box for my air freshener thing even though they are out of reach! Good thing Gem and your boyos can be bonded! Excited for you :>

That's too bad.. I think there might be a pet spray for buns to try and prevent chewing, you could try that out? Thank you, I'm very excited to get them bonded lol!

My Netherland dwarf, Echo, is also a chewer, I have to constantly tell him no while its his playtime everyday.. It was so bad that he dug and chewed at the carpet on one side of my room (getting wood this winter so I can free roam him!) What seems to help the digging and chewing is a diggy box in his cage to let out extra energy. You put a box filled with shredded paper, paper balls or sand. It really helped with Echo! Also, if you don't give Max fresh apple sticks already, I'd suggest trying that! Not the ones from the store but straight off a safe non-treated apple tree. Or, another great chew diverter is kilned pinecones. :)
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ivyy. » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:11 am

Blue_Aussie wrote:

That's too bad.. I think there might be a pet spray for buns to try and prevent chewing, you could try that out? Thank you, I'm very excited to get them bonded lol!

My Netherland dwarf, Echo, is also a chewer, I have to constantly tell him no while its his playtime everyday.. It was so bad that he dug and chewed at the carpet on one side of my room (getting wood this winter so I can free roam him!) What seems to help the digging and chewing is a diggy box in his cage to let out extra energy. You put a box filled with shredded paper, paper balls or sand. It really helped with Echo! Also, if you don't give Max fresh apple sticks already, I'd suggest trying that! Not the ones from the store but straight off a safe non-treated apple tree. Or, another great chew diverter is kilned pinecones. :)

Great! I think I can pull off the digging box! I'll try that on first!!

ivyy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me