Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby Kazin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:32 pm

Blue_Aussie wrote:Aww! What a cute boy! I love his name c:
What breed is Marshmallow?

Thank you! ^-^

I could be very wrong, and I'm not well-versed in rabbit breeds, but I believe I was told he is a New Zealand rabbit. Definitely a medium-large breed though, that's all I'm absolutely sure of xD
Kazin
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:16 pm

Awwwww! Very cute, baby.

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ancient Frost » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:17 am

Does anyone know if rabbits can tear the skin on the back of their neck by moving their head wrong? Yesterday, I saw that Meatball had a cut on the back of her neck. I checked her cage thoroughly for anything she could have cut it on but couldn't find anything. I have no idea what caused it. I'm giving her extra food and am keeping an eye on her. Breeding season started today but I'm not going to breed her until it heals. If anyone knows how this could have happened, let me know? Thank you!
Ancient Frost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raire » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:33 am

Ancient Frost wrote:Does anyone know if rabbits can tear the skin on the back of their neck by moving their head wrong? Yesterday, I saw that Meatball had a cut on the back of her neck. I checked her cage thoroughly for anything she could have cut it on but couldn't find anything. I have no idea what caused it. I'm giving her extra food and am keeping an eye on her. Breeding season started today but I'm not going to breed her until it heals. If anyone knows how this could have happened, let me know? Thank you!

Might have scratched herself with the back leg, did you already check her nails?
_________ Image

# If you have any question or problem, please send us a help ticket

:: avatar picture by Tanja Askani :: signature by Jayfrost ::
Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ancient Frost » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:25 am

Raire wrote:
Ancient Frost wrote:Does anyone know if rabbits can tear the skin on the back of their neck by moving their head wrong? Yesterday, I saw that Meatball had a cut on the back of her neck. I checked her cage thoroughly for anything she could have cut it on but couldn't find anything. I have no idea what caused it. I'm giving her extra food and am keeping an eye on her. Breeding season started today but I'm not going to breed her until it heals. If anyone knows how this could have happened, let me know? Thank you!

Might have scratched herself with the back leg, did you already check her nails?

I didn't think about that. I'll check and see is her claws are long after school.
Ancient Frost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RandomSia » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:01 am

@Ancient Frost, check if any of them broke too, if one was long and broke it would be sharp too.
RandomSia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:48 pm

I'm finally going to neuter my 2 dwarf rabbits, Romeo & Echo! Waiting to hear back from the vet with a date, but should know by tomorrow. I hope that fixing them will stop their marking and mounting behaviors, I guess ill have to wait and see!

If anyone has any info about before or after care of neutering rabbits, id love to hear it!

Update:
Well... Apparently its gonna be 190 each... When I called a couple months ago for a price, I was told about 85 each.. :roll:
so... I don't know what my plan is now lol...
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RandomSia » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:52 pm

Blue_Aussie wrote:I'm finally going to neuter my 2 dwarf rabbits, Romeo & Echo! Waiting to hear back from the vet with a date, but should know by tomorrow. I hope that fixing them will stop their marking and mounting behaviors, I guess ill have to wait and see!

If anyone has any info about before or after care of neutering rabbits, id love to hear it!

Update:
Well... Apparently its gonna be 190 each... When I called a couple months ago for a price, I was told about 85 each.. :roll:
so... I don't know what my plan is now lol...

Check for a rabbit society in your state! We got a certificate for neutering our boy and only paid like 20 or 30 dollars i think. You had to go to one of the vets on the list but the list is usually pretty good.
Honestly, it is pretty important for their health. The chances of a rabbit getting cancer when they aren't fixed or don't regularly breed are really high, like 75% for males and 85% for females.

After care for neutering is essentially nothing lol. Just make sure they are eating/drinking normally and not licking out their stitches but it's such a simple procedure for males that after 2 days they are basically good. No cone or anything like a dog either. Females are a lot harder I've heard.
RandomSia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:26 am

^Thanks! I’ll look into that!

Edit:
I couldn't find where to get a certificate or anything like that? Do you call?
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raire » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:44 pm

My two females went through the procedure last year and both did well.
They were pretty much lying in a corner and suffering silently (half of it was probably giving me the stink eye). They didn't really eat the first day but drank lots of water. Water HAS to come from a bowl if you don't use one already, so much easier on them.
Give them their favourite treats, maybe squish a banana for them so they only have to lick it up.

But overall the buns knew what to do.
I didn't catch them trying to clean themselves every time (especially during the nights), but wheneverI saw them trying to lick the stitches i would just gently interrupt them (aka just moving towards their general direction, not making any noise)
_________ Image

# If you have any question or problem, please send us a help ticket

:: avatar picture by Tanja Askani :: signature by Jayfrost ::
Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me