Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Postby mr.robot » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:52 am

Shadow~Wolf wrote:But sometimes fixing a dog can help with escaping.

Nope.

A dog, altered or not, hell bent on escaping will escape unless the owners are responsible / smart enough to take precautions, such as a tie out, building an outdoor kennel, higher fencing, coyote rollers, simply not allowing their animal outdoors unsupervised, etc.

Thankfully I am lucky enough that Harley is a velcro-dog. He will not leave my side outdoors and now walks to a perfect heel after months of intense training.
mr.robot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:55 am

@imzadi83
yeah. I mean my mother isn't going to spend anymore money on him. he use to be medicated on Prozac and that had him calmed and relaxed every day but my mom is literally at her last straw and she's just tired of it. his anxiety has gotten worse ever since we got him back and honestly, I wish I could help him but I am in no position to help him anymore. my mom doesn't have the time nor money to invest in a professional trainer over his anxiety. he'll most likely go to the humane society if my recruiter doesn't take him but hopefully he will. right now his face just looks awful from the wires from the crate ripping his skin open and we'll be in the apartment tomorrow so all in all, I have no idea how it's all going to play out.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:04 am

Child proof locks on the cabinets?
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby iAmDiversity » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:45 am

Stonefly wrote:Just a quick question for you guys, I am trying to rehome a clients dog because they simply do not have time to work with the dog and give it the attention it needs. I am going to be taking some Pictures of him for his rehome ad and I was just wondering what kind of photos you guys think would catch a potential adopter? I'm going to have a clear photo of him but I wanted some other cute photos to show some of his personality..
He is an American bulldog/pitbull mix, around 6 years old..so any help at this point would be fantastic!

With the fullbody photo it can be good to have something in the background that give a clue of his size to make it easier to imagine how big he is irl than with just the measurement. As for other photos I'd say something that really show off what's positive about him. Loves car rides, biking or playing with other dogs? Then it would be nice with a photo showing it to potential adopters^^

I've had my foster dog Lucy for two months now and I hoped that she could possibly move to a new home by the end of the week, but it turned out that if the person interested in her decide to actually adopt her, she won't be able to take Lucy until a month from now. Since I got invited to possibly travel abroad for a week or two really soon, plus sprained my ankle really bad a week ago and have been relying on family members to take the dogs for most of their walks, I've decided that the best thing is for her to move to another foster home.

I'm currently staying at my bfs place but will drive the 5ish hours home tomorrow (due to a doctors appointment) where I have nobody that can help me out. Since Zennah goes well with any dog, I can give her exercise and let her socialize even if my ability to move is limited, since we can drive to the dog park every day. Lucy however is friendly but tough and loud when playing (I've heard it's typical sighthound behavior from my contacts) so I wouldn't let her play with any other than Zennah, and even to Zennah it's a bit too much sometimes.

I'm hoping Lucy moving to another foster home will set some fire to the butts of the people handling the adoptions, cause they've been doing a really bad job of promoting her. I've been emailing descriptions and lots of photos but they still haven't done ANY updates on her page on their webpage, which in it's current state doesn't really reflect her personality is or how she is in a home.
Looking for any eggs
or chameleons from
this litter!
Pet's name: Moon Moon
iAmDiversity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:44 pm

"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby IQuit;; » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:53 pm

mr.robot wrote:
Shadow~Wolf wrote:But sometimes fixing a dog can help with escaping.

Nope.

A dog, altered or not, hell bent on escaping will escape unless the owners are responsible / smart enough to take precautions, such as a tie out, building an outdoor kennel, higher fencing, coyote rollers, simply not allowing their animal outdoors unsupervised, etc.

Thankfully I am lucky enough that Harley is a velcro-dog. He will not leave my side outdoors and now walks to a perfect heel after months of intense training.

I have to agree.
Both my adult dogs are fixed but they Will run away if the door is left even slightly open
Then we have to chase them over because they think we are playing a game of keep-away
i've quit cs.
IQuit;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby samm. » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:46 pm

My Min Pin Xander has Parvo. We caught it extremely early, so they're hopeful that he'll pull through, but it still really sucks. We couldn't afford to leave him there for treatment since the cost would be well over $400 so we're treating him at home, which still costed a little over $200. I've got a problem though, and I'm hoping someone on here can help? Nothing medical wise of course, I know asking isn't allowed! The vet said to bleach everything that Xander has come in contact with, and this is where my problem is. He tends to sleep with me at night, and I sleep in the living room on a leather couch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't bleach ruin the leather?? If so, is there anything else that I can use on the couch to clean it, without damaging it? I personally don't care if it gets damaged, but that sofa is like my fathers prized possession and he'd kill me if I ruined it.
samm.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hxneystorm » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:20 pm

Yep yep yep
    Sophie's possibly teething
    She's biting everyone and pretty much anything
    And just
    Chewing

And the thing is, her teeth are very sharp

And it hurts like heck when she nips you

Any tips to stop her nips?
Image Image Image
──────────────────────────
──────────────────────────
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
────────────────────
────────────────────
[kals] x [lair] x [spotify]
[ clay ] x [ sig ]
Image Image Image
───────────────────────────────
hailey/roman - she/her - adult - aest
hi! my dm's are always open if you need a
place to chat or a rp partner. stay safe!!
Image Image Image
hxneystorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mr.robot » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:42 am

Honeystorm~ wrote:
    Yep yep yep
    Sophie's possibly teething
    She's biting everyone and pretty much anything
    And just
    Chewing

And the thing is, her teeth are very sharp

And it hurts like heck when she nips you

Any tips to stop her nips?

Frozen carrots / frozen rags / frozen dog toys. They'll soothe her gums and help to dislodge her teeth as naturally as possible. Right now, her mouth is a major source of discomfort and she'll express that by using it. You're going to have to be patient, teach her biting is not okay and build up her bite inhibition from there.
mr.robot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:06 am

Sage is also teething :c

𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰