Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Postby akuma <3 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:50 am

melbelle6 wrote:
xXFalloutXx wrote:
.Middy. wrote:How do your dogs do in the car? If they don't have any issues in the car, 2 1/2 hrs is nothing. Just give them some chews and a couple potty breaks. My 10 month old just rode 9 1/2 hrs last Friday, and she did perfect!

Charlotte and Maggie are super heavy sleepers in the car.
Dagger shakes like a leaf and drools and when he was a puppy he peed sometimes (he's now almost 9, he stopped peeing thank god)
and
Layla is kinda bouncy, she jumps and walks around if we're not holding her and she drools a lot.
our truck isn't big enough to hold a crate. we'd put one in the back of our trailer but I don't think it's legal or safe....

Depending on how big your dogs are (I'm still fairly new and don't know everyone's dog yet) you could just put their beds in the backseat with a chew stick to keep them occupied. When I moved, my mom and I took Penny in our car. Since she is small she just chilled on her bed in the back. Buddy went with my brother and dad in the truck, but he got very anxious in the car. He was fine after about two hours. (Our trip took about two days)

they don't have their own beds ;~; they sleep on my bed or on the couch.

we've tried the chew thing but after a while they get bored and start whining and Layla has a tendency to bark.
Maggie just looks out the window 99% of the time and it's so cute! we got lil goggles for her cause she likes sticking her head out the window sometimes :)
Image πšŠπš”πšžπš–πšŠ ~ β™‘ Image
she/her - adult -
x | x | x
akuma <3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:51 am

^ mr.robot has chosen not to neuter their dog for a reason. They know what they are doing and it is possible to own an intact dog without issues. It sounds like Coburn is dog aggressive and needs better management - aggression isn't solely linked to whether a dog is intact or not.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NopesaurusRexx » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:14 am

Keriae wrote:
    ^ mr.robot has chosen not to neuter their dog for a reason. They know what they are doing and it is possible to own an intact dog without issues. It sounds like Coburn is dog aggressive and needs better management - aggression isn't solely linked to whether a dog is intact or not.

I misread the question, I'm sorry, I realized this afterwards, but I have very little time to be on CS nowadays and I didn't edit my post.
It is not solely linked to it, but it has large ties. I've known him since he's a puppy and he is one of the gentlest dogs you will ever meet. His aggression is the fact of dominance and the fact that another non-neutered dog is a threat to his dominance. He lives with other dogs and they don't have issues. For Coburn, it is dealing with being neutered or not

"You wanna make yourself useful?"
"Not particularly."

ALL PETS IN THE GROUPS MARKED TRADE GROUP ARE CURRENTLY FREE
NopesaurusRexx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby IQuit;; » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:19 am

@ feeding your dog carrots

Chance is funny when given carrots. He stares at you the entire time and he licks his lips often. XD
i've quit cs.
IQuit;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sathalina » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:41 am

-inhales deeply-

So I was thinking about getting a Newfoundland.
Saw this as a dog fellows club and I was sorta kinda looking for some advice? O: How are their behaviors towards certain things, they good with children or smaller pets like birds or pet mice? I own a Dumbo rat and she has her own little running room throughout the day.

Anything about them would be fantastic! I've been reading a large portion of their breed for the past week, but if anyone owns any personally I would really love to hear from y'all
Sathalina

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mr.robot » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:54 am

NopesaurusRexx wrote:
Keriae wrote:

I misread the question, I'm sorry, I realized this afterwards, but I have very little time to be on CS nowadays and I didn't edit my post.
It is not solely linked to it, but it has large ties. I've known him since he's a puppy and he is one of the gentlest dogs you will ever meet. His aggression is the fact of dominance and the fact that another non-neutered dog is a threat to his dominance. He lives with other dogs and they don't have issues. For Coburn, it is dealing with being neutered or not

I'm not neutering my dog for a behavioural issue that he both currently does not have and has little chance of developing in the future. If he becomes same-sex aggressive (common in American Bulldogs, a part of his mutt.) then I will muzzle him and manage it that way.

for now, he is safe, he is harmless and the surgery has no benefit for both me and him.
mr.robot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:21 am

NopesaurusRexx wrote:
Keriae wrote:

Dominance in dogs is outdated and debunked. There's also no evidence that neutering decreases aggression. It appears that it was a rumor made up by slay/neuter advocates who believe all animals should be neutered no matter what. The hormones produced by the ovaries and testicles are actually important for regulating the body especially when the dog is growing.
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:32 am

But sometimes fixing a dog can help with escaping.
β”Œ
β”‚
β”‚
β”‚
β”‚
𝐬𝐑𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰
π‘ π˜©π‘’/π˜©π‘’π‘Ÿ
═════
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ
─────
β”‚
β”‚
β”‚
β”‚
β”˜
═════
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
───────────────────
hi! my name is shadow &
i am a dog enthusiast &
writer! artist, roleplayer.
pms open!!
═══════════
TH ✧ art ✧ link here ✧ ©
───────────────────
β”‚
β”‚
β”‚
β”‚
β”˜
shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:35 am

so. things with scout have gone down again. he ripped open the sides of his muzzle trying to get out of the crate and it's to the point where my mom is thinking of giving him back to the pound because she just can't handle that with us moving into an apartment. it's causing himself physical harm from being in a crate and trying to get out and he's not allowed out because he eats anything and opens cabinets if he were allowed out while we aren't home. I honestly don't know what to do anymore to try and fix the issue. she's not going to put up with it and with me leaving for basic training in July, I can't really be there to help. unless my recruiter takes him like he said he would if we ended up on the verge of him going to the pound, it looks that way for him. i have no idea what the issue is anymore. he gets his exercise, we tried putting things in there with him to keep him busy but nothing is working.

@shadowwolf; we fixed scout for that reason and he will still bolt given the chance. so I have to disagree with that. .
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:44 am

Sounds like Scout has some very bad separation anxiety. Have you worked with a trainer? Done alone training? Have you tried a Thundershirt? There is a product that you plug in like an air freshener that releases calming pheromones, and they make collars similar to flea collars like that as well. Can you hire a dog walker to come spend time with him during the day or enroll him in doggy daycare? You might want to check with your vet too, he may need medication for his anxiety issues, at least for a while, while the behavioral side of it is being addressed.

If you do have to rehome him and the recruiter won't take him perhaps you can find a no-kill rescue that will take him. He may need a home where someone is there most of the day. So sorry your family is going through this, I feel bad for Scout too as well.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me