Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Postby akuma <3 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:48 am

.Middy. wrote:How do your dogs do in the car? If they don't have any issues in the car, 2 1/2 hrs is nothing. Just give them some chews and a couple potty breaks. My 10 month old just rode 9 1/2 hrs last Friday, and she did perfect!

Charlotte and Maggie are super heavy sleepers in the car.
Dagger shakes like a leaf and drools and when he was a puppy he peed sometimes (he's now almost 9, he stopped peeing thank god)
and
Layla is kinda bouncy, she jumps and walks around if we're not holding her and she drools a lot.
our truck isn't big enough to hold a crate. we'd put one in the back of our trailer but I don't think it's legal or safe....
Image πšŠπš”πšžπš–πšŠ ~ β™‘ Image
she/her - adult -
x | x | x
akuma <3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby just peachy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:08 am

xXFalloutXx wrote:
.Middy. wrote:How do your dogs do in the car? If they don't have any issues in the car, 2 1/2 hrs is nothing. Just give them some chews and a couple potty breaks. My 10 month old just rode 9 1/2 hrs last Friday, and she did perfect!

Charlotte and Maggie are super heavy sleepers in the car.
Dagger shakes like a leaf and drools and when he was a puppy he peed sometimes (he's now almost 9, he stopped peeing thank god)
and
Layla is kinda bouncy, she jumps and walks around if we're not holding her and she drools a lot.
our truck isn't big enough to hold a crate. we'd put one in the back of our trailer but I don't think it's legal or safe....

Depending on how big your dogs are (I'm still fairly new and don't know everyone's dog yet) you could just put their beds in the backseat with a chew stick to keep them occupied. When I moved, my mom and I took Penny in our car. Since she is small she just chilled on her bed in the back. Buddy went with my brother and dad in the truck, but he got very anxious in the car. He was fine after about two hours. (Our trip took about two days)
just peachy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby orpheus. » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:23 am

On the topic of dogs in cars, how would you go about getting a dog used to travelling in vehicles?
    Lyra's gotten better over time, but she still shakes like crazy and drools everywhere, thankfully the yelping stopped a couple of months ago but we still get it every now and then - I've tried counter-conditioning but she won't take treats from me in the car. She's usually fine when we're driving and the windows are down but freaks out whenever we stop or slow down.

I'm asking because there's a possibility she's going to have to go on a 5-7 hour long car trip later this summer - might not happen but it could, so I'd like to be prepared.
╔═════════════════════╗
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
π‘ŠπΈ'𝐿𝐿 𝑁𝐸𝑉𝐸𝑅 𝐺𝐸𝑇 𝑇𝑂 𝐻𝐸𝐴𝑉𝐸𝑁 𝑂𝑁 𝐴 𝑁𝐼𝐺𝐻𝑇 𝐿𝐼𝐾𝐸 𝑇𝐻𝐼𝑆.

those nights when your friends are gone,
when you're holding on for someone to leave with

those nights when you crave someone
to be there at dawn, to wake with, 'cause aren't we all just
looking for a little bit of hope these days?

oekaki . art insta . @danti#6119 .
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘

β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•
orpheus.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:29 am

cardigan wrote:
    Shadow~Wolf wrote:Carrots are safe. Lucky is addicted to them. The new puppy likes them too.
    Well she is here now. They have been playing together and are now napping together. We asked our vet about the walks and he said we cant walk him at all. Their going to the vets today so lucky can get his leg checked on and she can get a check up. They were just watching "Space Buddies" and fell asleep while watching it. I can give my attention to both of them. Please stop questioning how responsible I am. I can handle it and its honestly annoying how every one has just been saying how we shouldn't have gotten this pup. No "Congrats!" "Yay! Puppy!" "Hope she settles in well!" just "blah blah bad breeder" "You can't give lucky attention blah blah" because of course you'd all know if i could or not :I
    I have a very short temper. I'm just expressing how i feel.

-snip-

Throwing a temper tantrum because we're concerned isn't okay.
    Frankly, it's concerning how often you talk about not liking Lucky. To directly quote one of your posts, you feel like you hate Lucky. You got Lucky immediately after Sally, and then Sage (or whatever you choose to name her) when you got bored of Lucky.

I didn't want to get this sharp with you, but complaining about us stating our concerns is immature. This is a dog thread, designed for the discussion of dogs. As long as we're respectful of everyone's opinions (which you aren't being), it's fully acceptable to say your views.

The only reason we're even bringing this up at all is because we care about the welfare of your dogs. You don't have to listen to us. They are dogs owned by you, and at the end of the day, you have the last say. Explaining why you are making the decisions you are making is definitely a great thing to do, but getting aggressive and defensive is unnecessary.

Once again - we only do this so your dogs can have the best life possible.
    We are not trying to attack you, but advise you.

We're all very happy you love your dogs, but we just want to help you.

If you take issue with anything I've said here, PM me. There's no need to create a thread war.

I didn't get Sage my dad did.
Its not opinions if you say you know thats what its about.
I'm not getting aggressive. Things on the internet sound different than how you'd state it in real life.
I've already said that i am not bored with Lucky. He is very fun.
β”Œ
β”‚
β”‚
β”‚
β”‚
𝐬𝐑𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰
π‘ π˜©π‘’/π˜©π‘’π‘Ÿ
═════
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ
─────
β”‚
β”‚
β”‚
β”‚
β”˜
═════
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
───────────────────
hi! my name is shadow &
i am a dog enthusiast &
writer! artist, roleplayer.
pms open!!
═══════════
TH ✧ art ✧ link here ✧ ©
───────────────────
β”‚
β”‚
β”‚
β”‚
β”˜
shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mr.robot » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:30 am

Harley either sits up and watches the world go by or he lays down and goes to sleep, with no inbetween. He may stick his head under the headrest to see out of the front windows if we're engaging someone outside of the car, but thats about it.

--

mini-rant: please, for the love of everything that has a damn heartbeat, stop telling me to neuter my dog. there is literally no reason for me to put him through that surgery. he wont be bred regardless, so why should i pay Β£300 to have him go through an unnecessary surgery?
mr.robot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lisica, » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:33 am

i realize i didn't post one of these; it's not required but i think it would be fun u-u
      Do you own a dog?: i own one!
      Favorite dog breed?: golden retrievers; i'm fortunate enough to have a boyfriend with a golden retriever puppy called scooby.
      Tell us about your dog(s), if you have any!: my dog, skye, is an eight year old border collie. she's black and white; with a white snout, neck, chest, tail and paws. she also has a few black toes which are the cutest things.
      Pictures of your dog(s): x
lisica,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kamukoma » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:34 am

Do you own a dog?: i own one
Favorite dog breed?: I really like german sheperds, though I have never had the chance to own one. I also like golden retrievers, because they are just so sweet and loving.
Pictures of your dog(s): x
kamukoma

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stonefly » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:46 am

Just a quick question for you guys, I am trying to rehome a clients dog because they simply do not have time to work with the dog and give it the attention it needs. I am going to be taking some Pictures of him for his rehome ad and I was just wondering what kind of photos you guys think would catch a potential adopter? I'm going to have a clear photo of him but I wanted some other cute photos to show some of his personality..
He is an American bulldog/pitbull mix, around 6 years old..so any help at this point would be fantastic!
β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ

"I always feel like I am fighting, but I never know what"

β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ β–ͺ

-- ToyHouse -- Free art requests -- Commissions Open --
Stonefly | Adult | Semi Inactive

β–Ύ|
β–΄|
β–Ύ|
β–΄|
β–Ύ|
β–΄|
β–Ύ|
β–΄|
β–Ύ|
β–΄|
β–Ύ|
β–΄|
β–Ύ|
β–΄|
β–Ύ|
Stonefly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dream~ » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:49 am

Oreo is a very good travelerer. We put a blanket or his bed on the seat and he just lays there most of the time... Unless he sees something/someone he wants to bark at. Funny story... So a few years ago when we were going to get our Great Pyrnees Livestock Guardian named Boomer, we had him riding in the car with us. He was a absolutely huge dog, and also had lots and lots of fur. So we were going through a drive-through place for food, when he started crawling over the seats, and eventually so that his front end was in the front of the vehicle. Unfortunately though, the people we adopted Boomer from kept him as more of a pet, with him in their yard with their livestock, which of course he was fine with. But our livestock isn't near our house, so wasn't really happy... In fact he basically forgot his job. So we were forced to give him to another person with livestock near their house where he would be happy. Sadly we got a call saying someone had poisoned him... Why anyone would poison a sweet friendly dog I have no idea. On a slightly happier note, we now own Arctic a Livestock Guardian dog who has done a excellent job. She is a white Anatolian Shepherd and a lovely dog.

-

So I've been researching a lot, and I'm starting to lean towards Chinooks... (Yes I know I have leaned towards a lot of breeds...) but I have been looking at breeders and I have found two that are almost (not quite...) relatively near us. We do go to that area sometimes, so it wouldn't be to absolutely horrible to have to make the trip. Of course I'm not making any major decisisions right now, I'm still researching breeds and everything included. There are very few Chinook breeders, I'm not sure if it's true but I have seen somewhere where it said that less then 100 puppies are born every year. Most of the breeders are very far away from us, and I would definitely like to meet any puppies, parents and owners before making decisions. Actually all of the Chinook breeders I have seen are all linked to each other in some sort of way, helping each other out here and there to maintain the breed as it is so rare. I'm not making major decisions now, but these two breeders are the closest, and I'm wondering if they are good breeders.

So I'm just curious, what exactly needs to be health tested? The breeders I looked at did mention that they were health tested in multiple things that they listed, but I would like to confirm that they health test everything important.
Here are the links to their websites. If someone could let me know if they look like a fairly decent breeder, I'd really appreciate it :)
http://www.mountainthunderchinooks.com
http://www.laughingmountainchinooks.com
Dream~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NopesaurusRexx » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:50 am

mr.robot wrote:

Harley either sits up and watches the world go by or he lays down and goes to sleep, with no inbetween. He may stick his head under the headrest to see out of the front windows if we're engaging someone outside of the car, but thats about it.

--

mini-rant: please, for the love of everything that has a damn heartbeat, stop telling me to neuter my dog. there is literally no reason for me to put him through that surgery. he wont be bred regardless, so why should i pay Β£300 to have him go through an unnecessary surgery?

Neutering can reduce aggression towards other dogs. There is a dog in the building I work at that is not neutered, Coburn, and any time he gets around another dog that isn't neutered he tries to attack them. My friends dog, Ches, has been bitten numerous times (to the point where Ches has tried to attack Harley because Harley looks the same as Coburn ). It's your choice, but you should do research on it before making a decision.

You guys, I don't want to add to this, but you really have been pushing on @Shadow~Wolf really hard. I didn't sleep the other night so the entire day I despised Harley. That doesn't mean I don't love him. I just didn't have sleep and he was too much for me that moment. I would never give him up, and it's normal to be frustrated with a dog, especially a puppy. I don't post it because I vent to my boyfriend, but this may be Shadow's place to vent.
Shadow has explained a lot and you still seem to jump to conclusions. Especially about the new puppy that the father bought. I haven't looked at the breeder, so I can't say anything about that, but yes, you said your opinions and then have continued to force them.
Like, seriously, reading the stuff y'all have said, the way you've said it honestly makes me scared to ask any questions here...

To the person who replied to my question (I've forgot your user right this second I'm sorry):
Thank you! I'll have to try some of the things you suggested. The bed we think was anxiety that no one talked to him that morning and he felt abandoned that I hadn't shown up yet. To clarify: my dad and boyfriend go to work at like 5-5:30 and are in the kitchen with his kennel, often they will say something to him before they leave but that day they didn't, I don't get up until 6:30.
It's been hard to get him the full exercise he needs, we've been doing good, but it's been pouring for days straight. He's getting a nice long outside play time today after I'm out of work!

"You wanna make yourself useful?"
"Not particularly."

ALL PETS IN THE GROUPS MARKED TRADE GROUP ARE CURRENTLY FREE
NopesaurusRexx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me