Annoying Things People Do To/With Your Pet(s)

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Annoying Things People Do To/With Your Pet(s)

Postby Jealousy Empress » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:57 am

SableShine wrote:
~*~ LAURENTIA ~*~ wrote:
lil' noot wrote:
    What annoys me a lot is when people say purebred dogs are 'healthier' or 'better' than mixed breeds. Like, no. Lots of purebreds have tons of health problems. A good example is a bulldog. Because of it's wrinkly skin, it can easily overheat and have tons of skin problems. Bulldogs can't even give birth naturally because the puppies have too big heads. There are plenty other purebreds with other health issues. And no, it's not something that should be 'natural' or 'something that the breed has'. Stop breeding these sick dogs with each other or breed them with dogs that won't pass on such horrible genes.

Another example is pugs - purebeed pugs all have asthma. Yes, it's a pain, I would know I have two purebred pugs, but a lot of the time these issues are caused by inbreeding, not that the dog is just one breed of dog. Pugs are ONE OF THE ONLY EXCEPTIONS. All of them have asthma because they've naturally evolved flat noses and low metabolism.

It's not naturally evolved at all. They were bred that way by humans and we've bred them to be more and more exaggerated over time.

no, what I meant is that because of their genes, they've evolved to have shorter noses.
──🌸────
Hi! i'm Laurentia,
a panromantic asexual
Demi-girl with a love
for pugs, steven universe
and Angels. i'm nearly
always open to role-
play, PM me if you want
to do a 1x1. i'm a mod
on SU artists amino
as Lapis_lazuli JSYK!

────🌸──
link ● link ● 🌸
Jealousy Empress

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Scottish9 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Flossie wrote:For me, has to be when some people call small dogs "yappy ankle biters" or even sometimes "rats". It really annoys me, especially when some people remark that (according to them) no small dogs are trained. It makes me a bit angry, simply because, I put a lot of work into training my small bichon frise. She's extremely high energy and we are outside for hours everyday whilst I work with her.
Which leads me to another thing that annoys me. When I'm in the middle of training, which is very obvious to see, people coming over and interrupting by cooing at my dog. Her focus is really good, but when someone is literally, wrapping their hands around her without my permission, I get a bit annoyed. Sure, small dogs are cute and my dog is extremely fluffy like a teddy bear, but that doesn't give you the right to start handling her without my permission. She doesn't bite at all, but if you did it to another dog that you know nothing about, there's a high chance they might. Just a little rant, haha.

As a terrier owner, I agree. Yes, my dogs' coats get messy, and yes, they bark, but they are not untrained or rats. Mac was extremely easy to train and responds to hand signals--but only when I do it. It's weird. Gus is less trained but picks up easily. I'm honestly tempted to show my dogs' teeth to people who underestimate terriers. Their teeth are as large as a German Shepherd's (I checked this once) and they hunt badgers. Rats, my rear.
So, I am no longer really playing. I am sticking around to collect pets which I will exchange for art. Please only contact me about art or if you need some advice or a listening ear.
Scottish9

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:54 am

I think we all agree that people who touch our pets without permission are annoying, irresponsive little demons.

Also people who stereotype pets based on breed, size, age, etc. Those people are annoying, too.
atlas // they/them
if you ever need someone to talk to my dms are always open
stay safe, be kind, and have a great day!
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby S1520 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:19 pm

^ Well certain breeds often have similar characteristics, so I think it makes sense.

When my mom does things just to get a reaction out of our Chihuahua, sometimes it get's over the top. What else.... this next thing is understandable, can't be helped,
When a new person disciplines my dog by what they see as acceptable behavior, it makes my anxious Chihuahua very confused and more anxious. I let her lick my face and put her paws on me to get up to my level, others hate it but she's around me 75% of the time so it's normal to her. I guess she'll have to learn how to act around different people lol, even though she might not be capable of it. Ehhh doesn't matter a whole lot because it's rare occasions.
S1520

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:43 am

S1520 wrote:^ Well certain breeds often have similar characteristics, so I think it makes sense.

When my mom does things just to get a reaction out of our Chihuahua, sometimes it get's over the top. What else.... this next thing is understandable, can't be helped,
When a new person disciplines my dog by what they see as acceptable behavior, it makes my anxious Chihuahua very confused and more anxious. I let her lick my face and put her paws on me to get up to my level, others hate it but she's around me 75% of the time so it's normal to her. I guess she'll have to learn how to act around different people lol, even though she might not be capable of it. Ehhh doesn't matter a whole lot because it's rare occasions.

Yeah, this makes sense. A lot of people train their pets in really different ways, [i.e. my dog is only trained by hand signals because she's deaf, while some people train their dogs only with vocal commands] so it's nigh impossible to meet a pet that someone else trains that acts exactly like yours. Some people get super irritated with my dog when they come over and try and tell her to do something and she just sits there doing nothing and looking at them blankly. Many of them think she just 'wasn't trained' or 'doesn't listen', but she's impeccably trained with hand signals because she is deaf.
atlas // they/them
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby somnus. » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:45 am

One thing that I find terribly annoying is when people come into my room and stomp around, which scares my fish terribly. And then they'll touch the glass, knock on the glass, put their hands in the water and risk contaminating my tank with whatever was on their hands. They also make unnecessary comments, like "you should take out the divider in that little tank and let the bettas fight" or they'll suggest that I get fish that absolutely would not work or fit in my tank. My grandma's friend always suggest that I put some expensive shrimp in my bigger tank, but when I say they'll get eaten he gives me a disappointed look and walks away.

I also have a dog that was rescued from the street and was probably abused earlier in her life, and she's partially deaf and is quite skittish and gets scared at things she can hear. People think it's funny when she freaks out, and they intentionally make loud noises (fake coughing, clapping, stomping, etc) and it scares her so much.
hello! i'm somnus.
if you ever need someone
to talk to, feel free to pm me.
feel free to talk to me
about whatever bc i'm always
lonely and i love to chat c:
deus dormit
et liberi ignem faciunt
numquam extinguunt
ne expergisci possit
omnia divivit
tragoedia coram
amandum quae
et nocte perpetua
in desperatione
auroram videre potest
mane tempus expergiscendi
here are some lovely pictures of my animals
xxx
somnus.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby brindle. » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:29 pm

i have horses, and everyones like "can i ride them" or "theyre gonna bite me" and its soooooo annoying.

©

Ω▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
┌─────────────────────┐

'ello I'm not going to go by my real
name on here, so just call me alex xx
i ride horses, and own a few
im bisexual and confused about life
i love broadway musicals

└─────────────────────┘
ImageImage
┌─────────────────────┐
link - link - link - link - link - link - link

└─────────────────────┘
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬Ω▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬Ω
┌──────────────┐

farouche / shy
honestly I'm a disappointment
space / tb gelding
cassie / qh x tb mare
mira / warmblood mare
eli / halflinger gelding

└──────────────┘

brindle.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby AtlasHyperion » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:57 am

farouche wrote:
      i have horses, and everyones like "can i ride them" or "theyre gonna bite me" and its soooooo annoying.

I don't own horses, but I've ridden them since I was a little kid, and it's SO annoying when someone who's never seen a horse in person comes up to me to tell me about how riding is the most dangerous thing in the world. A, it's not, and B, I will slap you. I feel like they're explaining something to me that they don't understand at all, like a 2 year old explaining a doctor's job. I feel like that doctor.

Recently I've started volunteering at horse therapy, where kids and adults ride horses to get over/deal with mental, emotional, and physical disabilities, and it ranges from a former soldier's PTSD to a 5 year old's autism. It's amazing how understanding those kids are of the world around them. Because of their disabilities, they empathize with everyone, and they don't judge anyone for anything. Kind of straying off topic, so getting back on. Those kids have never once tried to explain my job to me, and it's wonderful to work in that sort of environment.

I have a former friend who kept telling me OVER AND FREAKING OVER how horses are the most dangerous thing in the world [um no mosquitoes and human inventions like cars and electricity have you lived under a universe your whole life or something] sorry little rant there but still it was SO annoying when I mentioned that I had riding so I couldn't come over to her house and she'd start lecturing me on something she'd never even tried before. OH. MAH. GAWD.

A similar situation that also bothers me is when people randomly touch my pets without asking or beg to touch them even though they can't. My foster dog got adopted on Saturday, but people who came over CONSTANTLY wanted to walk her and play with her and they wanted her to listen to them all the time. First of all, she's almost 11, and, second of all, she's deaf. She ain't playing with nobody.

I also have a cat [not a foster, got her when I was 3] and people are always begging [or just out of nowhere they do it] to pick her up, and it's so aggravating. She has nerve damage in her left hind leg and it's uncomfortable for her to be held in almost all the positions people hold her in, but then when she's screeching and yowling and clawing to get away from them the person THROWS HER ACROSS THE FREAKING ROOM LIKE OH MY FREAKING GOD I WILL SLAP YOU IN THE FACE okay calm down Tank and stop being a violent sociopath *deep breath and some internal screaming* okay let's move on. They also usually tell me that I need to train my cat and I'm like 'um wut you can't train cats boi whatchu talkin' about' [yes I know that some cats can be trained with enough patience but my cat is the spawn of Satan and listens to no one] and they think that they can explain to me how cats work and how I'm being SO CRUEL by not telling my cat how to exist. Yeah, sure, you keep on believing that. Anyways, back to the holding problem, people always want to either hold her around her chest and butt with support [which is a good way to hold a cat, but it causes my cat a ton of pain] or they want to cradle her [also a good way but painful for Margana]. Every time I try to explain to someone why they can't hold her that way, they tell me they know how to handle cats and completely ignore how she's MY CAT and I know her MUCH better than anyone else.

I can sum up all of my rants into one thing: people who think that all animals of one species are the same, or who think that they can get away with things or know everything about a species - they're aggravating.

EDIT: I know this post is super long already, but I have to make this little edit about my friend's dog, a Tibetan Mastiff, who's taller than her, and she's 5'4". [so lucky I'm only 5'3" WHY ITS MAH DREAM] Anyways, she named her five and a half foot tall dog "Lil' Guy" [don't even ask] and it makes us laugh uproariously when someone comes over to have a sleepover with us and she's just like "Oh you have to meet Lil' Guy" and the person's just like "okay sure he sounds cute" and they're expecting like a Dachshund or a Chihuahua or something small like that and then she tells them to turn around because "you're going to fall in love with him he's so adorable you will melt" or something like that while we struggle to get him through the door. It's so funny to see people almost faint when "Lil' Guy" looks like a lion instead of a puppy... hahahahaha now I'm thinking of the first time my mom came over to pick me up and she saw him and she needed to sit down for a moment because she was so surprised.

Splitting this into two paragraphs, one about Lil' Guy and one about the irritating experience we had... grrr I hate people. So once me and my friend took LG to the park [the local dog park doesn't allow him because he's caused several people and dogs to faint already], and you can imagine how that went. We sat down at the fountain and there were like 20 people who wanted to take pictures with him because they weren't entirely sure he was real... lol that day was fun overall. LG is the sweetest dog in the world, and obviously is trained not to act like a lap dog, and cuddling him is like cuddling a horse, and he doesn't lick people because they would probably have a heart attack. He's the best trained dog I've ever seen [my friend was not the only one responsible for his training, there were parents and professionals involved because yes she's rich] and listens to my friend's every word. He's similar to a service dog in that sense, actually. Yeah, I have to make 3 paragraphs wow this is long.

So while we were sitting at this fountain, this lady came to sit about 50 feet away with her son [probably 4 years old and adorable], and it takes her a while to see us and LG, but she finally turns around because her kid wants to pet him [bless his soul, he was so cute], and she starts screaming her head off. Lady, chill. I get why she was scared but could she not make everyone in a 10 mile radius incredibly uncomfortable please and thank you. So anyways, she finally stops screaming and she drags her kid away from LG and tells us that we shouldn't bring a monster like him to a park; we're going to give some kid a heart attack, and I'm sitting there thinking every kid who we've seen today wanted to pet him or ride him or something like that but she won't stop explaining to us how we're ruining the experience of going to the park for everyone... then my friend did the funniest thing. She took her earbuds out of her ears and looked at the lady like "oh hello there can I help you" and she says "sorry, were you saying something?" and the lady starts to rant AGAIN about how LG is a monster and my friend is just so calm when she says "I think you're really stressing Lil' Guy out with all the screaming, can you please leave?" I actually fell off the bench I was laughing so hard... she got roasted right then and we haven't seen her at the park since... but just to drive that in we saw the kid again once with his dad and he asked his dad if he could come talk to us and then this 4 year old asks us politely and responsibly before touching if maybe he can please pet her dog if we'd allow it. I almost melted just looking at the kid; he was so sweet. So he got to pet LG and everyone was happy and the end and wow I'm up really late and I've barely slept in the last few days and I'm high on insomnia and caffeine.

Congrats for anyone who read through all of this, so here's a cookie to reward you.
atlas // they/them
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Re:

Postby Jealousy Empress » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:11 am

Tankie wrote:
farouche wrote:

I don't own horses, but I've ridden them since I was a little kid, and it's SO annoying when someone who's never seen a horse in person comes up to me to tell me about how riding is the most dangerous thing in the world. A, it's not, and B, I will slap you. I feel like they're explaining something to me that they don't understand at all, like a 2 year old explaining a doctor's job. I feel like that doctor.

Recently I've started volunteering at horse therapy, where kids and adults ride horses to get over/deal with mental, emotional, and physical disabilities, and it ranges from a former soldier's PTSD to a 5 year old's autism. It's amazing how understanding those kids are of the world around them. Because of their disabilities, they empathize with everyone, and they don't judge anyone for anything. Kind of straying off topic, so getting back on. Those kids have never once tried to explain my job to me, and it's wonderful to work in that sort of environment.

I have a former friend who kept telling me OVER AND FREAKING OVER how horses are the most dangerous thing in the world [um no mosquitoes and human inventions like cars and electricity have you lived under a universe your whole life or something] sorry little rant there but still it was SO annoying when I mentioned that I had riding so I couldn't come over to her house and she'd start lecturing me on something she'd never even tried before. OH. MAH. GAWD.

A similar situation that also bothers me is when people randomly touch my pets without asking or beg to touch them even though they can't. My foster dog got adopted on Saturday, but people who came over CONSTANTLY wanted to walk her and play with her and they wanted her to listen to them all the time. First of all, she's almost 11, and, second of all, she's deaf. She ain't playing with nobody.

I also have a cat [not a foster, got her when I was 3] and people are always begging [or just out of nowhere they do it] to pick her up, and it's so aggravating. She has nerve damage in her left hind leg and it's uncomfortable for her to be held in almost all the positions people hold her in, but then when she's screeching and yowling and clawing to get away from them the person THROWS HER ACROSS THE FREAKING ROOM LIKE OH MY FREAKING GOD I WILL SLAP YOU IN THE FACE okay calm down Tank and stop being a violent sociopath *deep breath and some internal screaming* okay let's move on. They also usually tell me that I need to train my cat and I'm like 'um wut you can't train cats boi whatchu talkin' about' [yes I know that some cats can be trained with enough patience but my cat is the spawn of Satan and listens to no one] and they think that they can explain to me how cats work and how I'm being SO CRUEL by not telling my cat how to exist. Yeah, sure, you keep on believing that. Anyways, back to the holding problem, people always want to either hold her around her chest and butt with support [which is a good way to hold a cat, but it causes my cat a ton of pain] or they want to cradle her [also a good way but painful for Margana]. Every time I try to explain to someone why they can't hold her that way, they tell me they know how to handle cats and completely ignore how she's MY CAT and I know her MUCH better than anyone else.

I can sum up all of my rants into one thing: people who think that all animals of one species are the same, or who think that they can get away with things or know everything about a species - they're aggravating.

EDIT: I know this post is super long already, but I have to make this little edit about my friend's dog, a Tibetan Mastiff, who's taller than her, and she's 5'4". [so lucky I'm only 5'3" WHY ITS MAH DREAM] Anyways, she named her five and a half foot tall dog "Lil' Guy" [don't even ask] and it makes us laugh uproariously when someone comes over to have a sleepover with us and she's just like "Oh you have to meet Lil' Guy" and the person's just like "okay sure he sounds cute" and they're expecting like a Dachshund or a Chihuahua or something small like that and then she tells them to turn around because "you're going to fall in love with him he's so adorable you will melt" or something like that while we struggle to get him through the door. It's so funny to see people almost faint when "Lil' Guy" looks like a lion instead of a puppy... hahahahaha now I'm thinking of the first time my mom came over to pick me up and she saw him and she needed to sit down for a moment because she was so surprised.

Splitting this into two paragraphs, one about Lil' Guy and one about the irritating experience we had... grrr I hate people. So once me and my friend took LG to the park [the local dog park doesn't allow him because he's caused several people and dogs to faint already], and you can imagine how that went. We sat down at the fountain and there were like 20 people who wanted to take pictures with him because they weren't entirely sure he was real... lol that day was fun overall. LG is the sweetest dog in the world, and obviously is trained not to act like a lap dog, and cuddling him is like cuddling a horse, and he doesn't lick people because they would probably have a heart attack. He's the best trained dog I've ever seen [my friend was not the only one responsible for his training, there were parents and professionals involved because yes she's rich] and listens to my friend's every word. He's similar to a service dog in that sense, actually. Yeah, I have to make 3 paragraphs wow this is long.

So while we were sitting at this fountain, this lady came to sit about 50 feet away with her son [probably 4 years old and adorable], and it takes her a while to see us and LG, but she finally turns around because her kid wants to pet him [bless his soul, he was so cute], and she starts screaming her head off. Lady, chill. I get why she was scared but could she not make everyone in a 10 mile radius incredibly uncomfortable please and thank you. So anyways, she finally stops screaming and she drags her kid away from LG and tells us that we shouldn't bring a monster like him to a park; we're going to give some kid a heart attack, and I'm sitting there thinking every kid who we've seen today wanted to pet him or ride him or something like that but she won't stop explaining to us how we're ruining the experience of going to the park for everyone... then my friend did the funniest thing. She took her earbuds out of her ears and looked at the lady like "oh hello there can I help you" and she says "sorry, were you saying something?" and the lady starts to rant AGAIN about how LG is a monster and my friend is just so calm when she says "I think you're really stressing Lil' Guy out with all the screaming, can you please leave?" I actually fell off the bench I was laughing so hard... she got roasted right then and we haven't seen her at the park since... but just to drive that in we saw the kid again once with his dad and he asked his dad if he could come talk to us and then this 4 year old asks us politely and responsibly before touching if maybe he can please pet her dog if we'd allow it. I almost melted just looking at the kid; he was so sweet. So he got to pet LG and everyone was happy and the end and wow I'm up really late and I've barely slept in the last few days and I'm high on insomnia and caffeine.

Congrats for anyone who read through all of this, so here's a cookie to reward you.

every point you made was relateable, i have a pug and people think i called him "bentley" so i could boast about having a Bentley. i get a few problems like how "pugs are yappy little creatures you shouldnt have them" etc. LG sounds epic, i'd love to have a dog like that. :)
edit: thx u for le cookie.
──🌸────
Hi! i'm Laurentia,
a panromantic asexual
Demi-girl with a love
for pugs, steven universe
and Angels. i'm nearly
always open to role-
play, PM me if you want
to do a 1x1. i'm a mod
on SU artists amino
as Lapis_lazuli JSYK!

────🌸──
link ● link ● 🌸
Jealousy Empress

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby OliCat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:41 am

b1rdss wrote:One thing that I find terribly annoying is when people come into my room and stomp around, which scares my fish terribly. And then they'll touch the glass, knock on the glass, put their hands in the water and risk contaminating my tank with whatever was on their hands. They also make unnecessary comments, like "you should take out the divider in that little tank and let the bettas fight" or they'll suggest that I get fish that absolutely would not work or fit in my tank. My grandma's friend always suggest that I put some expensive shrimp in my bigger tank, but when I say they'll get eaten he gives me a disappointed look and walks away.

Oh god this is the worst! This is my betta Apollo he's in a 30L tank with 6 ottos and the amount of times people tell me why don't you get a pleco they're better algae eaters than ottos and I'm just like well a plec would be far to big for a 30 litre tank and my ottos are my pets and I love them they're not just there as tank cleaners, thank you very much.
Also the amount of people that see my betta and go oh hes a lovely decoration I might get a wee one for my kitchen and I'm just like you do know they are actual pets and are very intelligent and can be trained and everything and the also have to be fed and looked after they aren't a decoration
IMG_1026 (2).JPG
IMG_1026 (2).JPG (67.2 KiB) Viewed 138 times
OliCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me