Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby northy. » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:40 am

@mintu1: wow! they have such a great greta form over those jumps. i've never seen a pug fit enough to jump on a sofa, nevermind do agility, haha. I imagine its only short sessions due to breathing? I'm doing to start doing agility with my dog in summer, looks like he'll have some competition from this lil lady!

So on the 25th of Feb it was the UK's national dally rally. There were masses of dalmatians meeting across the UK. There was 1005 overall, 83 at the rally I attending! Here are a few pics.

Vida has a dental abscess at the moment. its gone down loads and she is on antibiotics rn, check up next week. We has a photo shoot with a family friend a few weeks back though, so here is a little update pic!
northy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liv :) » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:11 am

mintu1, your dog is so cute! I love seeing successful agility pugs, proof that the breed can be athletic when they are well-bred.

I took Bluebelle on her morning walk today... it was stressful to say the least.

Everything was fine at the start. Blue was walking nicely on a loose leash. Once we got about halfway through the walk, this black lab came sprinting at us from out of nowhere.

It got Blue really riled up, whenever she sees other dogs she gets really excited. The dog was just all over her and the icing on the cake was the owner, who came casually walking after the dog. All she said was “haha sorry”. Like, we’re right near a road, and your dog is off leash approaching strangers and their dogs. What if Blue was aggressive or fearful? What if a car was coming and the dog ran onto the road? A recipe for disaster, that’s what.

So, once we passed that dog, we came across yet ANOTHER loose dog... I saw it roaming across the streets, running back and forth across the road. Needless to say, we turned around and went the other way because we weren’t going to take any chances.

But guess what? THERE WAS ANOTHER LOOSE DOG NEAR THE END OF OUR WALK. It was going along our street, and it scared the crap out of me. Didn’t see it until last second. I was really scared, at first it seemed like it was going to attack us because it was kinda slinking along after is in a stalking crouch... but it didn’t, thank gosh. It was still really annoying, though. Like I said earlier, Blue gets riled up by other dogs and a loose dog following us is no exception.

It was a very handsome dog, though. Some sort of husky. No collar and its fur was very very dirty. Couldn’t really tell what its weight was because it had so much fluff. I suspect that the dog is lost. Unfortunately, we’re currently in no position to find its owner, we just had to get Blue away from it ASAP which was very very difficult.

It’s very strange, seeing so many loose dogs at once. Dogs being loose around here is very rare... off-leash dogs in inappropriate places, maybe, but dogs just randomly roaming? Not so much.

On another note, guess who learned shake a paw with both paws within minutes?! Blue did! She’s so smart, I can’t wait until our yard is fenced so we can start working on backyard agility and disc!! Right now though, our 100ft leash is a substitute for off leash and helps us work on her recall and retrieving. Not to mention it’s a good workout for her.
liv :)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby northy. » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:52 am

@doggas: your dog is absolutely gorgeous! She'll defo do well in agility and she looks so collie thats its no surprise to me that she learns so fast!
    as for what you said about people who walk there dog with loose/no lead, i'm so glad someone else finds this so frustrating! some people at the top of my street have two labs and they love to show off how well trained they are, constantly making them walk to heel with no lead when they take the bins out or are fetching something from the car, its great their dogs are well trained but what gets to me is that on my way back from college i see their dogs running across the roads whilst they're on 'walks'. quite a few people do this near me. its a threat to the life of the dog, road users, the public, and the owner! being off lead in built up areas only benefits the owners egos. if their dog was to catch a new scent, or one they liked, it only takes a split second for them to run in front of a car and get hurt or have the driver crash trying to avoid them. leads don't cost much and for me i'm only a short walk away from various dog walking areas where they can be off, care free. its a pet peeve of mine. sorry for this little rant of sorts haha, i just read that post and i just agreed so much.
northy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flossie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:23 am

Lacey is upset that our snow is mostly gone, she just walks around the garden scratching at the tiny patches left lol.
Never seen a dog have so much fun in it though! She wanted to be out constantly, even if it ended in a bath to get rid of the snowballs each time. Super hilarious to watch her run in it out the front though, you could only see her tiny head in some parts.
Flossie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 am

Everyones dogs seem to love the snow. Then again, mine are shorthair chihuahuas.
I'd love a larger dog but family seems against it, but love these babs all the same.

Pip looking longingly through the window

Atty starting to freak out in the snow

Atty is 20 weeks old but is as tall as pip. He has freakishly lanky legs.
Hope you all enjoyed the snow. My dogs couldn't go outside because of the wind and how it blew
all the snow into the court. If we were to put them out the other day, we'd of lost them in the
snow.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mintu1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:19 am

@ ryan ross.
Well actually they are as long as you would expect for any other dog. While there are Pugs who have issues not all of them do, sadly though you have to look quite hard to find a breeder who has healthy dogs. My roommate who I train with has an english springer spaniel and the two do the same ammount of work (aside from jump height) and they are both in the same condition once we are done. Obviously now during the time we have snow there is only so much we can do with a straight line consisting of two jumps and a tunnel lol. Good luck with your dog, agility is the best thing my dog knows so I am sure he will love it too!

@doggas
Yeah that was my goal from the beginning, I wanted to crush the common view that Pugs are not able to be athletic or obedient. It is great fun each time we go to a competition seeing the suprised faces of everyone not expecting a Pug to be there xD It'll be fun to see how the agility side reacts as I have only participated in Rally-O competitions before.

On the issue with loose dogs I just have to agree, I could never let my dog loose by a road where there are cars and I cant understand people who do. So much could go wrong and once it does it goes really fast. I have had a similar experience where there was this husky who was loose approcah the springer spaniel and it lunged at her, luckily my roommate was fast and grabbed the husky by it's scruff so it couldn't get to her dog. Once the owner appeared they didn't even take their dog until we told them to get the dog and then they just left without saying anything. How can you be so ignorant when your dog was just about to attack another dog. We know this dog from before and it is known to have bitten another dog already.
Slowly getting back into CS after being on a 2 year hiatus, nice to meet you all again!
Mintu1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby General Chaos » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:24 am

IMG_20180304_130213_495.jpg
IMG_20180304_130213_495.jpg (254.11 KiB) Viewed 36 times

He's kinda cute, I guess. Hehe, anyway figured I'd share another picture of Banjo!

He has his own IG now, so if you want daily updates go check out Banjo_the_cavie
General Chaos

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:45 am

Aw, it's heartwarming to look at all the cute doggies :)

Dog Food Recall

Steve's Real Food https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/steves-real-food-raw-frozen-dog-food-recall/
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby warmblood » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:58 am

looking into investing a little in reelraw. the website says great stuff about it, but it's not exactly cheap so i'm a little hesitant. plus, my dog does have a sensitive stomach, so im not sure how he would react with eating a raw diet.
however, it looks much more convenient than i thought it would be, since all i would have to do is thaw it out and feed it haha.

has anyone tried reelraw? if not, any advice on feeding raw would be great!
warmblood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:46 pm

pills wrote:looking into investing a little in reelraw. the website says great stuff about it, but it's not exactly cheap so i'm a little hesitant. plus, my dog does have a sensitive stomach, so im not sure how he would react with eating a raw diet.
however, it looks much more convenient than i thought it would be, since all i would have to do is thaw it out and feed it haha.

has anyone tried reelraw? if not, any advice on feeding raw would be great!

I've never even heard of this company so can't give you advice in that regard.

Chloe has a sensitive stomach but tolerates raw fine depending on the protein. But I wouldn't let a sensitive stomach stop you from trying raw. You want to make the switch gradually and I wouldn't advise mixing it with his regular food as that can upset some dog's stomachs. I'd suggest giving him a bite mid way between his meals then slowly increase the amount as you decrease the amount of one of his regular meals. Also start him out on the same protein that he normally eats.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me