Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby Blue_Aussie » Mon May 18, 2020 11:40 am

_breezy_star_ wrote:
Blue_Aussie wrote:Im getting a 10 week old angora tomorrow! His name is Apollo, if anyone has any angora tips, this will be my first!

What kind of angora? :mrgreen: I've only ever had english
(and i showed jersey woolies for 10 years, but they are dwarfs and not exactly the same. lol)

I'm pretty sure she said English angora, he wasn't selling so she is giving him to me for free. I have an extra cage because my other two bucks, Romeo & Echo, are bonded and in an exercise pen together, hopefully I can get Apollo bonded with them after a while but if not, that's fine too c:
Last edited by Blue_Aussie on Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZeXaL » Mon May 18, 2020 11:40 am

hope im not interrupting anything but omg I want a pet bunny like so badly, theyre my favorite animal but sadly i cant keep them because of my living conditions :( theyre super cute though and id love to have a pet bunny one day

x
x

𝓘'𝓜 𝓕𝓡𝓞𝓜 𝓣𝓗𝓔 𝓕𝓤𝓣𝓤𝓡𝓔!

Hi there, I'm Debby! The transfem that
the news warned you about and the punk
newbie around town! I'm a huge gamer,
weeb and writer as well as a punk enthusiast.
I also have an interest in computer science
and tech-related stuff! Hit me up sometime,
I don't mind making new friends. :3

xx.𝓓𝓞𝓝'𝓣 𝓨𝓞𝓤 𝓕𝓞𝓡𝓖𝓔𝓣 𝓘𝓣!
ZeXaL

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Mon May 18, 2020 11:44 am

ZeXaL wrote:hope im not interrupting anything but omg I want a pet bunny like so badly, theyre my favorite animal but sadly i cant keep them because of my living conditions :( theyre super cute though and id love to have a pet bunny one day

I hope you get your dream bun one day! I know exactly how you feel though! It took me 6 years of begging my dad before I got my dream dog, but she was worth the wait :D
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Mon May 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Blue_Aussie wrote:
_breezy_star_ wrote:
Blue_Aussie wrote:Im getting a 10 week old angora tomorrow! His name is Apollo, if anyone has any angora tips, this will be my first!

What kind of angora? :mrgreen: I've only ever had english
(and i showed jersey woolies for 10 years, but they are dwarfs and not exactly the same. lol)

I'm pretty sure she said English angora, he wasn't selling so she is giving him to me for free. I have an extra cage because my other two bucks, Romeo & Echo, are bonded and in an exercise pen together, hopefully I can get Apollo bonded with them after a while but if not, that's fine too c:

If he is english, they seem to have the most difficult wool. lol I don't know if it's just thicker or what. I always had mine trimmed down since I wasn't using the wool for anything. Always make sure you are checking close to their skin for any matted wool. Hopefully you have a comb/slicker brush? :mrgreen: And of course, get comfortable with scissors if you plan on keeping him trimmed. :)

ZeXaL wrote:hope im not interrupting anything but omg I want a pet bunny like so badly, theyre my favorite animal but sadly i cant keep them because of my living conditions :( theyre super cute though and id love to have a pet bunny one day

You aren't! No problem. lol I'm sorry you can't have one now, but I also hope you can have one in the future. They are definitely a fun pet to have. :D

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Siddy » Thu May 28, 2020 3:44 pm

I waited 12 years for my boys because my mom didn’t really want any and they’re the best things that have ever happened to me :> just keep waiting and don’t give up!! They’re so worth it.

You guys give such good advice here, I always google stuff but that’s hard because it always gives you the worse case scenario!
I have a mini rex that turned a year old back in April and he’s a sweet little guy. He’s had these snuffles since I got him a few months ago that I’ve been worried about but there’s never been any boogers or snot and that’s what they say to look out for and I guess it’s chronic in some my vet said? I wanted to mention that just Incase it’s important.
I had a New Zealand that passed away recently but he was always busy. Always running around, and jumping and just, busy.
This guy has never been nearly as busy? I am very sure it’s not gut issues I’m worried about him being depressed, and I’m not sure how to fix that.
The New Zealand was in a C&c cage that was a very good size, and my mini rex is in a larger guinea pig cage because every time we try to put him in a c&c cage he just tries to hide, won’t eat, and just looks sad?
We’ve even tried it for extended periods of time and he just doesn’t adjust. He’s technically a show rabbit but I’ve never showed him and don’t really plan on it because he’s so sensitive. I bought him at a rabbit show and he definitely lived in a hutch with many other rabbits in a small space on wire for the first 8 months or so of his life. I’m not sure if he’s just having a hard time adjusting to larger spaces and change, or if he’s just odd?
He eats great, loves treats, and shows no signs of being ill aside from the sneeze which my vet said wasn’t anything too major. When he’s in his cage he just lays in the same spot on a blanket he has or in his litter box but when we let him out in big spaces he hides and doesn’t run around. He DOES however run LAPS when he goes outside. He loves it outside, and eats the grass, and jumps all around, so I know he’s capable. He’s extremely cuddly and you can basically do what ever you want with him because he’s like jello. He grooms us and everything, he’s extremely sweet and for the most part seems happy but I just don’t understand why he acts so depressed most of the day unless he’s eating or receiving certain amounts of attention, and why he just lays hunched up all day or sleeps most the day. It’s so hard to explain because it’s odd? I’ve only had two rabbits and they’re so different from each other is amazing. I’m just worried and I want to make sure he’s okay. I’m getting paid Friday so I plan on taking him for a general check up but I want to know what y’all think??

Oh and another thing. The pen outside is in the corner of our dog fence that wraps around the whole yard and we have a wild domestic rabbit that somebody dropped off on our property. We feed her but we can’t get anywhere close to her and she just lays in our yard for the most part.
She’s been coming up to the fence when fen’s out and checking him out. They binky together and lay with each other while she’s on the other side of the fence (it’s a love story I swear y’all) and when she runs away he stops doing everything. Stops eating the grass, running around and just pouts? He won’t even eat for a bit afterwards.
I know he was with other rabbits before I got him in close proximity and unfortunately I haven’t been able to bond him to anyone so do y’all think that’s contributing to his sadness? My New Zealand who was an only bunny for three years would smell him through the bars of his cage when I’d let him out and the mini rex would groom him and act like the ‘submissive’ side of a bonded rabbit relationship but the New Zealand just wanted to attack him so I never tried to actively bond him because of their size difference and for the mini rexs safety. He’d always get sad when banjo snorted and charged at him too.
Do you all think he’s lonely? And bonding him to a rabbit would help him?
Should I be worried about his sniffles that happen every now and again?
Should I keep trying to get him used to a larger area and just take extreme precautions to make him feel more safe so that he can have more space? (I’ve been trying this since we bought him).
I don’t know, what do y’all think? He’s definitely odd.
Everyone I know in 4H tells me it’s because he’s white with red eyes and that they kind of lack some brain cells but I really don’t believe that ):

Sid
She/They | Adult
Commissions always open!
Want to contact me? PM me!
DA, Instagram
Toyhouse, Art Examples
(<- Sig Art ->)
Siddy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Fri May 29, 2020 3:41 am

@Siddy

I own a ruby eyed white as well, Romeo, and he is perfectly happy and super smart so don't let those 4H people fool you! Also, I can almost 100% guarantee that your bun is just lonely and needs a companion. Rabbits are social animals and need to have other rabbits to be completely content. Because you said he was a show rabbit, he probably isn't neutered which you will have to do to bond him to another rabbit. But once you have 1 rabbit its not a big deal getting a 2nd. Also, I wouldn't let him around the other rabbit outside, that can cause unwanted litters or pass illnesses to your bun.

If you have any questions or want any tips on bonding feel free to PM me! And I suggest watching some of the '101Rabbits' videos on Youtube about bonding as well c:
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:55 pm

I was in 4-H for 9 years and showed for 12, and all I remember people mentioning about REW (ruby eyed white) is that they can have vision problems. Not missing brain cells. xD LOL

I had a REW netherland that always had scanning eyes. Like she couldn't quite focus. Also they may be more light sensitive. But other than that, he shouldn't have any other issues just because he's REW.

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obsessed » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:06 am

@Siddy I work a lot with local breeders (and 4H is HUGE in my area) and man, they can be the actual worst sometimes. I agree with @Blue_Aussie. At eight months old, it's highly unlikely he wasn't bonded to the rabbits he lived with. Rabbits aren't herd animals in the (and I cannot stress this enough) traditional sense, but that doesn't mean they aren't herd animals who enjoy companionship.

It's a lot to pack into one post, so I'll summarize:
      1) If you're worried about the sneezing, and your vet has not found anything physically wrong, look into your bedding/hay as a possible culprit. If it's not dusty, you can either trust your veterinarian (the sneezes may end up just being annoying rather than harmful) or seek out a second opinion. This could be a different vet clinic altogether or a different veterinarian than you normally see at your usual one.
      2) Neutering pretty much puts and end to both accidental babies and most (in some cases, all) aggression issues. Like @Blue_Aussie said, I definitely recommend it to anyone who is not breeding or showing.
      3) I'm not sure what the time frame is here, but also allowing months for your bunnies to live near each other - in their cages - and hosting any meetings after on neutral territory are some essentials. Be prepared for scuffles and setbacks. Most bunnies who aren't raised together will not want to be friends right away.

I hope that's a little helpful? I definitely recommend researching it more from reputable sites and up to date books while you decide how you're gonna make the poor guy feel better.

On an unrelated note, one of my does had an absolute disaster of a litter last week.

She's usually a good mama, but my dumb dog was figuring out how to get into the rabbit room while I was at work (that's been fixed. Don't know how long this dummy was doing it. Ugh.) My other doe wasn't bothered, but this mama isn't lactating. On top of that, two of her three kits were peanuts :cry: I've been breeding Netherland Dwarfs for, I don't know, the last year and a half without encountering any. Hoping the last one will catch up, size-wise. One of the two peanuts passed away recently. A couple breeders recommended a hard cull right away, but I don't have the heart for it. I'd rather them be warm, safe, and comfortable at the end. The chill mama had five kits, no problem; she's fostering the remaining kit and peanut, and I'm supplementing their feedings. But man! What a week it's been with them.
Obsessed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:06 pm

Oh, I hated getting peanuts. Always so sad. I let them live with the others until they passed. They lasted 3 to 7 days usually. Always a little heartbreaking.

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:28 pm

I tried giving the 4 bun-kids some lettuce we grew in the garden... only Davey liked it. lol She basically inhaled it. Juniper gave it a few nibbles, but the other 2 wanted nothing to do with it. lol Perhaps I'll try again another time. :lol:

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes