Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby Winstalgia » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:54 pm

thank you all!

We got the two girls a couple days ago, they are a gift for my youngest sister, but since shes young, they're more the family pets, and my dad and I take care of them. I forgot the breeds, but they are 12 weeks old and 8 weeks old. The 12 week old is a big one, and she was given the name carrot, but I call her Froppy. The 8 week one is brown grey and named Elaina.

Elaina is extremely mischievous and loves exploring and meeting people, shes not shy at all, not does she spookeasily.. froppy is the opposite of that, and will only be playful or outgoing if there is one person with her, sometimes two. She gets freaked out easily, we noticed, and would rather be in the cage.

The people we bought them from gave us plain pellets that should last another week, and we already had hay. Thanks for the water bottle or tile trick! I will definitely be doing that! It's supposed to be on the chiller side tonight (well, florida chilly, like 65 degrees lol).

They're adorable and I might post pictures if them at some point, but so far they've settled in nicely, and Elaina especially is warmed up to everyone.
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 π–™π–—π–Šπ–†π–˜π–šπ–—π–Š"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"π–Žπ–˜ π–˜π–Žπ–‘π–›π–Šπ–— 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–Œπ–”π–‘π–‰."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:09 pm

I used to live in Florida! lol I live in Michigan now, but it's been 110 degrees in the summers up here before. Humid and nasty! BLEH. Right now it has been consistently like 40-45 in the day time and like 30-35 at night. I'm so over the cold. My poor garden is like... hello... spring? Are you there? :lol:

Feel free to come back here or message me or someone else in the thread. Or visit those websites! Good luck on your new bunny adventure. :D And we of course want to see pictures when/if you have them. lol

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐢 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ancient Frost » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:55 am

My newest litters opened their eyes today. I was very glad that we are doing online schooling so I could take one of them to the video call and show my class. There are so cute. Two were out of the nest box yesterday even though their eyes were still closed, so I'm not sure how that happened. Also, I cleaned out the nest boxes the other day and was unable to salvage any of the fur. The next morning the doe had pulled a whole new nest of fur. I haven't seen any do this before.
Ancient Frost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:28 pm

Ancient Frost wrote:My newest litters opened their eyes today. I was very glad that we are doing online schooling so I could take one of them to the video call and show my class. There are so cute. Two were out of the nest box yesterday even though their eyes were still closed, so I'm not sure how that happened. Also, I cleaned out the nest boxes the other day and was unable to salvage any of the fur. The next morning the doe had pulled a whole new nest of fur. I haven't seen any do this before.

Oh yeah, I'd find blind/half blind babies all over. Those little guys can fly. :lol:
I also have never had a mother re-pull fur. lol At least she's very caring! lol

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐢 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ancient Frost » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:08 am

_breezy_star_ wrote:
Ancient Frost wrote:My newest litters opened their eyes today. I was very glad that we are doing online schooling so I could take one of them to the video call and show my class. There are so cute. Two were out of the nest box yesterday even though their eyes were still closed, so I'm not sure how that happened. Also, I cleaned out the nest boxes the other day and was unable to salvage any of the fur. The next morning the doe had pulled a whole new nest of fur. I haven't seen any do this before.

Oh yeah, I'd find blind/half blind babies all over. Those little guys can fly. :lol:
I also have never had a mother re-pull fur. lol At least she's very caring! lol

Baby buns sure can! If anyone has had their does re-pull fur, please let me know. I've never seen this before and wondering if it is normal.
Ancient Frost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:57 am

^I bred rabbits for about 2 years and never had a ribbit do this, but i also never removed the fur. When I cleaned the nest, I replaced the hay and placed the old fur back on top after throwing out the very messy stuff. Im sure its normal though if there wasn't any fur in the box and the kits are still young.
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:43 pm

so! They are both silver fox rabbits! And their names are now jazzy and froppy. Froppy being the black one.

All files are too big for me to.upload so I'll have to link it somewhere
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 π–™π–—π–Šπ–†π–˜π–šπ–—π–Š"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"π–Žπ–˜ π–˜π–Žπ–‘π–›π–Šπ–— 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–Œπ–”π–‘π–‰."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:11 am

winstalgia wrote:so! They are both silver fox rabbits! And their names are now jazzy and froppy. Froppy being the black one.

All files are too big for me to.upload so I'll have to link it somewhere

IMGR is free and you can resize or just link photos :)

I used to have a silver fox named Sharla years ago. :)

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐢 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Star_Bun » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:25 am

Hey all! I usually buy my rabbit the trash that is Walmart brand pellets (I know, terrible :c). But I've been able to save up a good amount of money with constant paychecks from my job so I can afford a better pellet!
So my question is, what's the best brand to get from tractor supply? That's really the only place I can buy rabbit food from other than Walmart without making an hour trip every time she's running low
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ

Hi ! I'm star_bun, but call me star < 3
I'm always open to PM's and making
new friends !
avi and signature art by
nervousdog

Star_Bun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:05 pm

Star_Bun wrote:Hey all! I usually buy my rabbit the trash that is Walmart brand pellets (I know, terrible :c). But I've been able to save up a good amount of money with constant paychecks from my job so I can afford a better pellet!
So my question is, what's the best brand to get from tractor supply? That's really the only place I can buy rabbit food from other than Walmart without making an hour trip every time she's running low

Buying bigger bags at the feed store will probably save you money. lol You can get a 50lb bag for probably less than $20... Or a 20/25lb bag for $15 or less. And with one rabbit, that will last a long time.

Purina ("complete" formula, since you're not showing) is probably the best one. But they might only have that in a 50lb bag. Another one is Manna Pro. They usually have that in 50, 25 and 5 pound bags. :mrgreen: They are both good feeds. The cheapest one is Dumor. They make that one in the smaller bags. I think there is a 10lb bag.... probably a 5 too.

Prices and bag availability will vary by location, but there ya go! lol I worked at a pet store and it's crazy that some 5lb bags there cost as much as much as a 25lb bag at the feed store. :what:

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐢 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes