Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:38 pm

Tankie wrote:My Nina is a real sweetheart, and she loves us and we love her, but if she gets off leash, she's gone. The first time she ran, I wasn't there, but the leash was dropped for barely a second and she ran off, and she's really fast (collie/heeler mix) so she was chased for a good four hours before she was lost in a park. Eventually she came back to the neighborhood, and with a lot of running and chasing, she was corralled back to the house, where no one caught her but she ran up the front steps, where there's a bed of thorny plants on one side and a railing on the other, in front of the house, so she was finally caught there. The second time, she was in the garage, and no one knew I was coming home right then, and I didn't think she'd be in the garage because we don't usually let her in there, but the moment I opened it she ran off. I sprinted after her, but on a sprained ankle I was slower, and though I'm not fast enough I could probably have trapped her or maneuvered her into some area she couldn't escape. I know the area well.

Unfortunately, she jumped a fence (a low one, more for show than anything else; it was only about three feet tall - she can't jump regular fences) and me and my sprained ankle had to run around it the long way because I couldn't climb over it, and I lost her over the other side of it behind a house. That was about five minutes in, and within another five she ran through the backyard, where I'd returned after losing her, and I chased her over to the front steps again, where she lay down and waited when she realized the chase was ending.

The problem is, the moment she's off the leash outside, she's gone. She'll come when called on leash, and while in the house, but not outside, and that's problematic. If she gets off leash in a crowded place, or when there's a dog nearby (thankfully there's never been a dog walking by either time she escaped; she's pretty aggressive), what are we going to do to catch her? She's not always going to be close to home, and we don't have a fenced yard for her to run around in so we can train her to come even with distractions. We can't lose her, and she already has a bit of a track record with local animal control for running off.

How do I train her out of her habit of running?

You have to a) keep her from escaping & b) work on recall training.

a) Keep her on a leash or long line. If she's escaping from her collar/harness purchase one that fits better and make sure it is adjusted properly. If need be attach a leash to a harness and another to a collar so if she slips one you'll still have her on leash. Don't allow her to be loose in a yard with a fence short enough she can jump over. Check fences for holes, loose boards, and objects that are nearby she could use to jump over (like trash cans, fallen logs, etc.).

b) You don't need/shouldn't be letting her loose to train a recall, she should be on a long line so your yard would be fine to start. You will have to slowly introduce her to distractions. You may need to up your rewards and use reward scaling. And don't forget to work on the collar/harness grab, she doesn't get her reward for coming until you've successfully grabbed her otherwise she may dart away again. Being off leash should be treated as a privilege, not a right. Also don't use a recall to take her inside otherwise she can learn that coming to you means an end of outside time. Recall her often and then release her to go play again. When it's time to go in go and get her instead of calling her.

c) Tips and Tricks: On the subject of catching her, chasing her is a mistake. It just encourages her to run. Instead try calling her name, turning around and running away from her and she may decide it would be more fun to chase you. Squeak a toy, throw a ball, throw a handful of treats right in front of you, whatever she likes. If she darts away when you go to attach the leash trying turning it into a slip lead and catching her that way.

They have dog tags with tracking chips in them, you might want to consider investing in one just in case.

Also some people have trained an emergency recall and paired it with an extremely high value reward as well. I've never tried that myself but it is an option.

Here's some training videos for you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL9Rk-8KF9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5qsH5tjYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7XxG5KchQ8

-♡ShelterPets- wrote:Aww, how cute <3

Well. It's happened.
I knew it would.
I've prepped for it but...
It's worse than I thought.
Stella's started food guarding.
Well, not just food, actually.
Resorce garding. Major.
But it's worst with food.
Any tips (positive reinforcement) on stopping the food guarding?

Game 1) I would give her an empty bowl. After she realizes how worthless an empty bowl is take it from her (if you can't do it safely have someone else hold her on leash and pull her away) drop in some food, then give the bowl. Don't approach, wait for her to finish then take the empty bowl and repeat the process. Do this kibble by kibble if you can. Do this for each meal you can for several days.

Game 2) Give her a handful of food in her bowl. While she's eating drop in something of higher value then what she's eating. You may need to do this from far away but you want to get to the point you can walk by and drop it in.

Game 3) When she's eating call her name from several feet away and offer something better (you can use another bowl if you need) if she leave her bowl to some get it she gets than then you carefully head towards her bowl and drop another higher value reward in.

Eventually you can teach her a leave it and work on leaving her bowl and letting you take it. Of course this works for bowl aggression. If you're dealing with her guarding chewies try the trade game and teach drop or give. You can use this with toys as well. Is she resource guarding other things as well?

Here's some video's for you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie4efzjQsbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDeAKj2etMs
https://youtu.be/i60q52DqIuc
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:32 pm

❤ Dipper ❤ wrote:
I'm Getting 2 New Rottweliers ~! Skylar (New Name: Bit) And Witty ~!!!!! Witty Will Be My New Service Doggo !
And Bit Is Just The Cutest Lil Fluff Ball EVER ~! I Just LOVE EM ~! Here Is Bits Link Where I'm Getting Him ~!

And Witts ! (He Just Has A Pic. My Frans, Fran Works For Like A Smol Service Dog Group ~! The Pit Is His Half Sister ! Molly ! )

]

Ahh, not really. That's either Brutus or Hank (even though Hank is now passed), two pretty widely known fake service dogs.

Here's the video you took that picture from:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5Pp8wtnJA

And the American Bulldog's(not pit) name in the picture is male and is actually named Maurice...
Last edited by taurus ; on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Got another puppy at my friend's work. They were dropped off yesterday and her sister already got adopted. I'm sure she'll find a home very fast, she's a great puppy. Crazy though, she'll need an active home ready to deal with a very smart Aussie mix.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stelpup » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:32 am

Imzadi83 wrote:
Tankie wrote:My Nina is a real sweetheart, and she loves us and we love her, but if she gets off leash, she's gone. The first time she ran, I wasn't there, but the leash was dropped for barely a second and she ran off, and she's really fast (collie/heeler mix) so she was chased for a good four hours before she was lost in a park. Eventually she came back to the neighborhood, and with a lot of running and chasing, she was corralled back to the house, where no one caught her but she ran up the front steps, where there's a bed of thorny plants on one side and a railing on the other, in front of the house, so she was finally caught there. The second time, she was in the garage, and no one knew I was coming home right then, and I didn't think she'd be in the garage because we don't usually let her in there, but the moment I opened it she ran off. I sprinted after her, but on a sprained ankle I was slower, and though I'm not fast enough I could probably have trapped her or maneuvered her into some area she couldn't escape. I know the area well.

Unfortunately, she jumped a fence (a low one, more for show than anything else; it was only about three feet tall - she can't jump regular fences) and me and my sprained ankle had to run around it the long way because I couldn't climb over it, and I lost her over the other side of it behind a house. That was about five minutes in, and within another five she ran through the backyard, where I'd returned after losing her, and I chased her over to the front steps again, where she lay down and waited when she realized the chase was ending.

The problem is, the moment she's off the leash outside, she's gone. She'll come when called on leash, and while in the house, but not outside, and that's problematic. If she gets off leash in a crowded place, or when there's a dog nearby (thankfully there's never been a dog walking by either time she escaped; she's pretty aggressive), what are we going to do to catch her? She's not always going to be close to home, and we don't have a fenced yard for her to run around in so we can train her to come even with distractions. We can't lose her, and she already has a bit of a track record with local animal control for running off.

How do I train her out of her habit of running?

You have to a) keep her from escaping & b) work on recall training.

a) Keep her on a leash or long line. If she's escaping from her collar/harness purchase one that fits better and make sure it is adjusted properly. If need be attach a leash to a harness and another to a collar so if she slips one you'll still have her on leash. Don't allow her to be loose in a yard with a fence short enough she can jump over. Check fences for holes, loose boards, and objects that are nearby she could use to jump over (like trash cans, fallen logs, etc.).

b) You don't need/shouldn't be letting her loose to train a recall, she should be on a long line so your yard would be fine to start. You will have to slowly introduce her to distractions. You may need to up your rewards and use reward scaling. And don't forget to work on the collar/harness grab, she doesn't get her reward for coming until you've successfully grabbed her otherwise she may dart away again. Being off leash should be treated as a privilege, not a right. Also don't use a recall to take her inside otherwise she can learn that coming to you means an end of outside time. Recall her often and then release her to go play again. When it's time to go in go and get her instead of calling her.

c) Tips and Tricks: On the subject of catching her, chasing her is a mistake. It just encourages her to run. Instead try calling her name, turning around and running away from her and she may decide it would be more fun to chase you. Squeak a toy, throw a ball, throw a handful of treats right in front of you, whatever she likes. If she darts away when you go to attach the leash trying turning it into a slip lead and catching her that way.

They have dog tags with tracking chips in them, you might want to consider investing in one just in case.

Also some people have trained an emergency recall and paired it with an extremely high value reward as well. I've never tried that myself but it is an option.

-♡ShelterPets- wrote:Aww, how cute <3

Well. It's happened.
I knew it would.
I've prepped for it but...
It's worse than I thought.
Stella's started food guarding.
Well, not just food, actually.
Resorce garding. Major.
But it's worst with food.
Any tips (positive reinforcement) on stopping the food guarding?

Game 1) I would give her an empty bowl. After she realizes how worthless an empty bowl is take it from her (if you can't do it safely have someone else hold her on leash and pull her away) drop in some food, then give the bowl. Don't approach, wait for her to finish then take the empty bowl and repeat the process. Do this kibble by kibble if you can. Do this for each meal you can for several days.

Game 2) Give her a handful of food in her bowl. While she's eating drop in something of higher value then what she's eating. You may need to do this from far away but you want to get to the point you can walk by and drop it in.

Game 3) When she's eating call her name from several feet away and offer something better (you can use another bowl if you need) if she leave her bowl to some get it she gets than then you carefully head towards her bowl and drop another higher value reward in.

Eventually you can teach her a leave it and work on leaving her bowl and letting you take it. Of course this works for bowl aggression. If you're dealing with her guarding chewies try the trade game and teach drop or give. You can use this with toys as well. Is she resource guarding other things as well?

Here's some video's for you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie4efzjQsbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDeAKj2etMs
https://youtu.be/i60q52DqIuc

You are a life saver.yes she wildly guards other things, but food is the only thing she given me scars for... I've tried things similar to this but this is just great. thank you so much
-stellapup, creator of smitten kittens.
click to adopt yours today

ImageImage
stelpup

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby juicebox! » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:48 am

halogen. wrote:
❤ Dipper ❤ wrote:
I'm Getting 2 New Rottweliers ~! Skylar (New Name: Bit) And Witty ~!!!!! Witty Will Be My New Service Doggo !
And Bit Is Just The Cutest Lil Fluff Ball EVER ~! I Just LOVE EM ~! Here Is Bits Link Where I'm Getting Him ~!

And Witts ! (He Just Has A Pic. My Frans, Fran Works For Like A Smol Service Dog Group ~! The Pit Is His Half Sister ! Molly ! )

Ahh, not really. That's either Brutus or Hank (even though Hank is now passed), two pretty widely known fake service dogs.

Here's the video you took that picture from:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5Pp8wtnJA

And the American Bulldog's(not pit) name in the picture is male and is actually named Maurice...

the owner of hank and brutus is also known for scamming and lying. from taking all the donations that were supposed to go to a rescue to lying about his dogs even meeting. i wouldn’t send any money to someone associated with them, especially if theyre using his pics. and you said “fran works for small service dog group” i think fran lied to you.
juicebox!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Imzadi83 wrote:You have to a) keep her from escaping & b) work on recall training.

Thank you so much for the advice! I will definitely be trying these with her; she really does love her big milk bones and I'll be using those for emergency recall, which is probably important considering the number of busy streets nearby.

Also, on another note, do you guys think it's worth it to spend some money fencing off some of the yard so we can let her out to run? She doesn't get enough running time because our yard doesn't have a fence yet, but we're considering it. If we get a fence, any recommendations on type? Are the wooden board ones or the chain link ones generally better? How much space should a collie/heeler have to run around in? And if we get an area fenced off, when should she be allowed out?
atlas // they/them
if you ever need someone to talk to my dms are always open
stay safe, be kind, and have a great day!
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Thor is doing great! a lot has been going on the past week and I haven't been able to really talk and be on here for more than a couple of minutes, but he's doing absolutely amazing in his recovery!

He wasn't able to move with the e-collar on, so we haven't had it on him. Having it on him resulted in him getting it off, because it was a snap one that didn't hook to his collar,, and him whimpering all night. He hasn't licked the staples at all, and he's left it alone completely.

He took his last Amoxicillin this morning and the vet said he shouldn't have to take any more medication when he runs out of the last Amoxicillin. He's been such a good boy this whole time in the kennel too. First two nights were hard and there was a lot of whimpering and keeping people awake.

Now he sleeps in it just fine, though he won't go back in if he doesn't have a leash on.

He's really enjoyed his diet of canned food.
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bubbled Aurora » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:49 pm

I'm having some minor issues with my pug RN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: she follows me everywhere i go i only got her yesterday and im not sure why i think we have created some bond
Bubbled Aurora

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stelpup » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:01 pm

❤Freddy Fazbear❤ wrote:I'm having some minor issues with my pug RN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: she follows me everywhere i go i only got her yesterday and im not sure why i think we have created some bond

How old is she? Bonding is not a problem at all but should probably be countered with time in the crate or just alone time to make sure it doesn't turn into a separation-anxiety issue.
-stellapup, creator of smitten kittens.
click to adopt yours today

ImageImage
stelpup

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bubbled Aurora » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:13 pm

-♡ShelterPets- wrote:
❤Freddy Fazbear❤ wrote:I'm having some minor issues with my pug RN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: she follows me everywhere i go i only got her yesterday and im not sure why i think we have created some bond

How old is she? Bonding is not a problem at all but should probably be countered with time in the crate or just alone time to make sure it doesn't turn into a separation-anxiety issue.

4-5 years old i think she has anxiety issue because i was in bed and she sleeps down stairs and she non stops barking and scratching the door i have heard of the anxienty but the thing is she sleeps in my other relatives house since i am not aloud her in my house since my father is allergic to fur
Bubbled Aurora

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me