Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby .Middy. » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:34 pm

Picture of my dork for cuteness.

Anyways, I somehow ended up finding a rescue that sounds like a great fit for me? Honestly kinda confused by it lol. I’m personally not huge on rescues, but this girl is kinda tempting me! 9 month old black tri Aussie, already started in various sports, and she just sounds like a good fit!

Depending on what I hear Friday at my doctors visit, I may send in a application and just see if they might approve me. Seriously doubt they will since I have a intact female, my fence sucks, and I don’t run to the vet for every little thing, but who knows. Other big problem is they want to do a meet and greet with all people and dogs in the house, and I can’t take Chew to a meet and greet. He’s super dog friendly, but not so much people.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:34 pm

xels wrote:Also, you can use your hand in a curled five point claw shape to thunk him in a "bite" Your five fingernails tapping him sharply replicates the "bite" he'd get from siblings or Mom. Often puppies are taken earlier than ten to twelve weeks from Mom and siblings so they are not socialized to the consequences of playing too rough. If they were with their litter, they'd have the litter mate they hurt nip and squeal and they'd learn better.

This is a form of dominance theory which has been debunked. This is a very dangerous practice and I highly recommend against it as it can cause aggression. It is also unnecessary.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby juicebox! » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:39 pm

meeting with a 1 yr old lab gsd mix ! he sounds great. only issue is that he pees himself if dogs bark/nip at him.. is this something that can be trained out of a dog/worked with using confidence training? my dog used to do that as a puppy but stopped lol.
juicebox!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:35 pm

cosmic-quark wrote:hey guys! we got a lil golden retriever puppy about a month ago. his name is charlie, he's four months old, and he's absolutely adorable.

there's just one problem- he bites everything. he's torn up his "chew-resistant" bed twice now. whenever we go on walks, he's just fine for a bit and then suddenly he starts jumping up and nipping and biting my legs. he's bitten holes in most of my clothes by now and it's surprisingly painful for a puppy.

if I loop the leash around a mailbox and walk away for a bit, he calms down almost immediately, and almost all of the dog training websites I've seen say that this is just a phase that'll end soon. it wouldn't be that big of a problem normally, but I have a six year old sister who's terrified to play with him, and even my mum can't walk with him during the day bc of how much he bites. none of the advice I got from the dog training websites seems to be working, and waiting it out doesn't really seem like great option. does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this?

Here's a pic of the lil monster <3

When he bites/nips inappropriately,
make a loud, very loud, yelp or squealing noise. This is to mimic how his actual littermates would react if he was being too rough and he will learn not to nip. Will probably startle or even scare him, but that's the point.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cosmic-quark » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Thank you so much for the help guys! I'll definitely be trying out these techniques ^^

In the meantime, here's a pic of Charlie sleeping <3
          ImageImageImageImageImageImage
          ╭━━━━━━━╮
          ╰━━━━━━━╯
          ╭━━━━━━━╮
          cosmic-quark
          she/her aro ace
          future astrophysicist
          Buying characters!
          Design Contest!
          ╰━━━━━━━╯
cosmic-quark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:44 pm

cosmic-quark wrote:Thank you so much for the help guys! I'll definitely be trying out these techniques ^^

In the meantime, here's a pic of Charlie sleeping <3

I have a soft spot for Goldens since I have one too!
(: I would love to see some pictures of him but I can't get the ones that you are linking to load.. What image hosting site are you using? Imgur works well!
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:55 pm

My Nina is a real sweetheart, and she loves us and we love her, but if she gets off leash, she's gone. The first time she ran, I wasn't there, but the leash was dropped for barely a second and she ran off, and she's really fast (collie/heeler mix) so she was chased for a good four hours before she was lost in a park. Eventually she came back to the neighborhood, and with a lot of running and chasing, she was corralled back to the house, where no one caught her but she ran up the front steps, where there's a bed of thorny plants on one side and a railing on the other, in front of the house, so she was finally caught there. The second time, she was in the garage, and no one knew I was coming home right then, and I didn't think she'd be in the garage because we don't usually let her in there, but the moment I opened it she ran off. I sprinted after her, but on a sprained ankle I was slower, and though I'm not fast enough I could probably have trapped her or maneuvered her into some area she couldn't escape. I know the area well.

Unfortunately, she jumped a fence (a low one, more for show than anything else; it was only about three feet tall - she can't jump regular fences) and me and my sprained ankle had to run around it the long way because I couldn't climb over it, and I lost her over the other side of it behind a house. That was about five minutes in, and within another five she ran through the backyard, where I'd returned after losing her, and I chased her over to the front steps again, where she lay down and waited when she realized the chase was ending.

The problem is, the moment she's off the leash outside, she's gone. She'll come when called on leash, and while in the house, but not outside, and that's problematic. If she gets off leash in a crowded place, or when there's a dog nearby (thankfully there's never been a dog walking by either time she escaped; she's pretty aggressive), what are we going to do to catch her? She's not always going to be close to home, and we don't have a fenced yard for her to run around in so we can train her to come even with distractions. We can't lose her, and she already has a bit of a track record with local animal control for running off.

How do I train her out of her habit of running?
atlas // they/them
if you ever need someone to talk to my dms are always open
stay safe, be kind, and have a great day!
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:10 pm

schistad; wrote:
    meeting with a 1 yr old lab gsd mix ! he sounds great. only issue is that he pees himself if dogs bark/nip at him.. is this something that can be trained out of a dog/worked with using confidence training? my dog used to do that as a puppy but stopped lol.

Most likely it can, although I can't promise he'll ever be friendly with other dogs, but if you work with him you should be able to manage him fine. It all depends on you though.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ❤ Dipper ❤ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm Getting 2 New Rottweliers ~! Skylar (New Name: Bit) And Witty ~!!!!! Witty Will Be My New Service Doggo !
And Bit Is Just The Cutest Lil Fluff Ball EVER ~! I Just LOVE EM ~! Here Is Bits Link Where I'm Getting Him ~!

And Witts ! (He Just Has A Pic. My Frans, Fran Works For Like A Smol Service Dog Group ~! The Pit Is His Half Sister ! Molly ! )

]
❤ Dipper ❤

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stelpup » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:26 pm

Aww, how cute <3

Well. It's happened.
I knew it would.
I've prepped for it but...
It's worse than I thought.
Stella's started food guarding.
Well, not just food, actually.
Resorce garding. Major.
But it's worst with food.
Any tips (positive reinforcement) on stopping the food guarding?
-stellapup, creator of smitten kittens.
click to adopt yours today

ImageImage
stelpup

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me