Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby Ancient Frost » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:24 pm

I'm so happy. Both of my does kindle withing 24 hrs and they both had huge litters! Tortellini had 12 and Meatball had 11. I'm gonna see if they can handle this many kits before taking any out. Anyway, Happy Easter everyone. Give your bunnies lots of love!
Ancient Frost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:56 pm

Huge! That's great! What kind of rabbits are they?

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐢 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ancient Frost » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:54 am

_breezy_star_ wrote:Huge! That's great! What kind of rabbits are they?

I have Californian/New Zealand crosses. One of the 11 litter died last night though. It got squished, I think. :(
Ancient Frost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:02 am

Ancient Frost wrote:

I have Californian/New Zealand crosses. One of the 11 litter died last night though. It got squished, I think. :(

I had that issue too with one of my NZ does, and she squashed a couple. Good luck with the rest! They should be able to handle the litter size. Feed moms really good, lots of water and check for full baby bellies every day. :mrgreen:

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐢 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ancient Frost » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:06 am

_breezy_star_ wrote:
Ancient Frost wrote:

I had that issue too with one of my NZ does, and she squashed a couple. Good luck with the rest! They should be able to handle the litter size. Feed moms really good, lots of water and check for full baby bellies every day. :mrgreen:

Thanks!

On another, unrelated note, I'm trying to grow barley fodder for my buck and does during summer(I don't breed during summer). I read it takes about 8-9 days to sprout but my oldest one is 6 days and just today a saw a few tiny grass shoots. If anyone has advice or resources I might not have seen, I would be very grateful.
Ancient Frost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:46 am

Ancient Frost wrote:
_breezy_star_ wrote:
Ancient Frost wrote:[quote="_breezy_star_"Huge! That's great! What kind of rabbits are they?

I have Californian/New Zealand crosses. One of the 11 litter died last night though. It got squished, I think. :([/quote

Thanks!

On another, unrelated note, I'm trying to grow barley fodder for my buck and does during summer(I don't breed during summer). I read it takes about 8-9 days to sprout but my oldest one is 6 days and just today a saw a few tiny grass shoots. If anyone has advice or resources I might not have seen, I would be very grateful.

Is not bad when it shows now^^ did you mix under some herbs too for rabbit? so they get not only one thing to eat but variety :)
dandelion, plantain, blackberry leaves, and chickweed , lettce, herbs for rabbits

--harvest and dry part for winter and cold season too
- However, it is important that you not give your rabbit any new vegetable,greens and such suddenly and in large quantities. Since rabbits are extremely sensitive eaters, it is important that you slowly test your rabbit’s ability to handle one vegetable at a time. Once you have ascertained that a vegetable is safe, you can add it to your rabbit’s diet

maybe have a look here, not sure if this does help
- https://thefrugalchicken.com/grow-free- ... we-did-it/
- https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-care/b ... beginners/

- https://www.grit.com/farm-and-garden/gr ... zkrz12zreg
- https://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables ... bbit-diet/
-https://mollygreen.com/blog/feeding-rabbits-naturallygrowing-and-making-your-own-rabbit-feed/
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2-AKUQ0cA -- maybe
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ancient Frost » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:22 am

Thanks for the links but I think you misunderstand. I am growing barley fodder which is just barely sprouted when it is fed to the rabbits. It grows in plastic trays for a few days then it is taken out and fed to the buns. This is one of the sources I found on the subject: https://bharabbitry.weebly.com/growing-fodder.html
Ancient Frost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:09 am

hi! We are getting a rabbit this tomorrow, and it's going to be housed outside underneath our tree house. My Dad is building underneath it and reinforcing it, so that it's safe. We have chickens as well, in another section of our yard. I wanted to know if there was anything I should definitely know before getting a rabbit?

I've told my Dad to build some sort cooling system in the enclosure, as it can get very hot here, and I wouldn't want them over heating. Aside from that, is there anything else that we should include, or simply keep in mind?

I've never owned a rabbit before, and neither have anyone else in my family. We do have experience with other pets, such as Chickens, dogs, cats, gerbils, hamsters, and reptiles. I'm not sure what breed of rabbit it is, or how old it is, I will be finding out soon though.

Any advice is appreciated. :)
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 π–™π–—π–Šπ–†π–˜π–šπ–—π–Š"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"π–Žπ–˜ π–˜π–Žπ–‘π–›π–Šπ–— 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–Œπ–”π–‘π–‰."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ancient Frost » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:39 am

winstalgia wrote:hi! We are getting a rabbit this tomorrow, and it's going to be housed outside underneath our tree house. My Dad is building underneath it and reinforcing it, so that it's safe. We have chickens as well, in another section of our yard. I wanted to know if there was anything I should definitely know before getting a rabbit?

I've told my Dad to build some sort cooling system in the enclosure, as it can get very hot here, and I wouldn't want them over heating. Aside from that, is there anything else that we should include, or simply keep in mind?

I've never owned a rabbit before, and neither have anyone else in my family. We do have experience with other pets, such as Chickens, dogs, cats, gerbils, hamsters, and reptiles. I'm not sure what breed of rabbit it is, or how old it is, I will be finding out soon though.

Make sure to have some wood for them to chew on to wear down their teeth. If you are having it strictly for a pet, get it fixed. Lastly, make any diet changes gradually.
Ancient Frost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:29 pm

winstalgia wrote:hi! We are getting a rabbit this tomorrow, and it's going to be housed outside underneath our tree house. My Dad is building underneath it and reinforcing it, so that it's safe. We have chickens as well, in another section of our yard. I wanted to know if there was anything I should definitely know before getting a rabbit?

Hot Weather: Sometimes I would freeze a couple water bottles and then put them in the cages if it was hot out too. They usually lay against them and lick the condensation off the bottles. During fair we specifically had a freezer full of water bottles just for this purpose. lol Another trick I heard is going to the hardware store and buying a couple single pieces of tile and putting that in the freezer or fridge so they can lay on it. :)

Feeding: Find a good rabbit plain pellet (one that doesn't have a bunch of colored pieces and seeds) and a nice timothy hay for a regular diet. Leafy greens are also great for rabbits. And as it was mentioned, when changing diet or introducing new foods, do it a little at a time. Rabbits can have sensitive digestive systems.

Other: On the first page of the thread, I think the 3rd post down that I made, look for the section called "Rabbit Links"! I have some sites on there that you might find helpful!

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐢 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes