Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby *~GECKO~* » Mon May 15, 2023 8:56 am

huskyhiccups wrote:
4V0C4D0 wrote:
huskyhiccups wrote:
    snip

hey there!

first of all, please, please don't jump right into ownership/leasing !! most barns i've seen will ask for previous experience, before leasing, for a good reason. i would recommend going into lessons first to make sure you can be around the horses. you'll want to be able to catch, groom and tack like the back of your hand. going into an ownership will be really expensive, and you definitely won't enjoy it if you aren't 100% sure with what you're doing. learning about ownership/ leasing through books, videos, etc. just isn't enough, you'll need your own firsthand experience. taking lessons generally is better and i'd recommend at least a year or two of that, so you get to learn how to ride and handle different horses.

when i came to my barn, i met kasha, a 26 y/o mare. we took two lessons together before i asked if i could lease her, mostly for the purpose that the lessons weren't teaching me anything and i needed my own time to really learn her. that was two years ago, now i'm going to be taking lessons again in order to learn to ride a different trickier horse. however, since then i've ridden at least four different horses at the same barn, and before that, i'd already had four years of experience with probably over 10 horses, at the minimum. point being is take your time !! leasing and owning is fun as long as you have the appropriate experience (and definitely work your way up to ownership ! owning a horse is NOT like owning a dog or a cat, and it's not to be taken lightly.)

hiya!! don't worry, please! I'm following the advice I got on the previous page(s) & from the FB group I mentioned before. I did not realize how silly (to put it nicely) it actually would be for me to just jump in to owning/leasing. I guess my mind just jumped to that extreme because of the lack of options in my area (extremely rural).
    Also, like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm familiar with catching, grooming, tack, anatomy, etc. (I did leave a few of those out on my previous post but I sorta hinted at it) when I was at the horse camps. We were responsible for waking up early with the staff, catching the horses, cleaning/mucking stalls, feeding (measuring, etc.), grooming, and tacking! One of my favorite memories was learning to properly clean and trim hooves. I'm not sure the proper words so bear with me here, but they never let us actually "trim" the hooves (just showed us tools, explained why/how they're used, things to look for, and so on) since they were already neatly trimmed, shoed, etc. but we did get to use picks and such to clean out mud, grass, etc. c:
    We were all pre-teens or early teens and had the staff there to help educate us and make sure everything was done right, but it was such valuable lessons and I look back on those moments very fondly. It's a huge reason as to why I would want to own/lease one day, but you all make a very good and clear point that I need the experience first, and I promise I'm taking it to heart!! <3

very cool! also, it's cool that that horse camp taught so much. not sure what camps were like, but even at my 1st barn, they would never teach us how to bridle them altho we did groom, pick and saddle. and i was placed in their advanced class by the time i left!
but yes, any experience with horses is so lovely. i don't blame you for thinking of jumping in right away! there's def a lot of things from the surface that aren't really thought of, hence the big big reason why working up is such a smart thing to do. good luck on your horse journey! def hmu any time if you wanna talk about horse stuff. i need more horse friends !! :lol:
*~GECKO~*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verdana » Mon May 15, 2023 10:12 pm

It can depend! My yard ran an amazing summer camp and by the end most kids could put a bridle/saddle together after taking them apart for cleaning. They could tack up and untack with supervision, groom, lead, and at least handle the horse on the ground kinda. And that was a three day camp. It depends who runs it!

I am now the barn representative for my university riding club and very proud of it. Who knows? Maybe next year I'll make the team lol

I jump Wednesday. More on that as it happens. Meanwhile a drawing I done did of horsies and Bob and Jester
Attachments
IMG_20230514_221152.jpg
IMG_20230514_221152.jpg (3.84 MiB) Viewed 194 times
IMG_20230512_093631.jpg
IMG_20230512_093631.jpg (6.05 MiB) Viewed 194 times
IMG_20230506_143418.jpg
IMG_20230506_143418.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 195 times
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby *~GECKO~* » Tue May 16, 2023 12:23 am

wow, those are so good! i love them!! just noticed the bottom pic has horses in it. so adorable!

yeahh some barns also just are meant to be grown out of. i'm really happy at my new barn though. i came as a totally unconfident rider, may as well have been a total beginner, after having some scary experiences with my first lease horse. i was already well-versed w/ western at this point, but i could barely even canter a circle without being terrified. now i'm mostly riding with some of their lesser-worked-with horses, which has been sm fun!

*~GECKO~*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verdana » Tue May 16, 2023 7:22 am

4V0C4D0 wrote:wow, those are so good! i love them!! just noticed the bottom pic has horses in it. so adorable!

yeahh some barns also just are meant to be grown out of. i'm really happy at my new barn though. i came as a totally unconfident rider, may as well have been a total beginner, after having some scary experiences with my first lease horse. i was already well-versed w/ western at this point, but i could barely even canter a circle without being terrified. now i'm mostly riding with some of their lesser-worked-with horses, which has been sm fun!

4V0C4D0 Also true!

And darwins! I forgot to say but CONGRATS on your new horse! How is that going? What a beautiful appaloosa
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darwins » Sat May 20, 2023 1:46 pm

Verdana wrote:
4V0C4D0 wrote:wow, those are so good! i love them!! just noticed the bottom pic has horses in it. so adorable!

4V0C4D0 Also true!

And darwins! I forgot to say but CONGRATS on your new horse! How is that going? What a beautiful appaloosa

super great!!! thanks for asking. i named him "fig newton", fig for short. or newton if he's behaving like a genius haha.
    i can't bring him home just yet, but he will be home with me in the mountains in about 6 weeks. i see him 1-2 times a week.
    he's super goofy. he and i clicked really well. he follows me around at liberty already. he loves water. my pup loves him.
    i'm working on some fun tricks with him when i go to see him (':

a couple pics for fun

darwins

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vash ♡ » Sun May 21, 2023 1:23 am

ohhhh be still my heart a spotty!!! huge POA enthusiast here but im crossing my mare to a knab in the next couple years! we already booked to him it's just when my fiancé gets our finances sorted out and we fix up a baby-safe paddock for her at the barn

════════════════════════════════════
she • adult • audhd & chronically ill
struggling equine nutrition student, im barely on here.

════════════════════════════════════
fell in love with a pisces moon,
now i'll follow you wherever you go.
vash ♡

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verdana » Tue May 23, 2023 9:59 pm

IMG_20230523_105452.jpg
IMG_20230523_105452.jpg (242.17 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Yesterday I got to hop around on Cherry! She is 13'2 if her shoes are stacked, 8 year old bay New forest pony mare. Boy is she fun! We jumped everything the Big Girls (Roxy, tobiano hunter type, nervous but KEEN, pictured, and Queenie, big chestnut 1.20 showjumper) jumped, including a 70cm upright on a dogsleg. She is so cool! Did my whole warmup without stirrups, spent the first 20 mins working on whisper soft transitions, and then whizzed around jumping. I had the best time.

I did miss Bobby though. He really is the bestest boy.
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby *~GECKO~* » Wed May 31, 2023 3:47 pm

@Verdana
omgg those horses sound cool :3 but wow you are brave!! i dunno but i can do bareback, i just hate when it's a saddle with no stirrups tho. like i've got this mare at my barn, literal angel once you're experienced enough and i will throw on our bareback pad (firm believer in no raw bareback) and a halter and we'll like canter around the property and stuff but when there's a saddle? nah dude i need my proper stuff hahah
*~GECKO~*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minimire » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:15 pm

hey everyone! so i'm very, very new to the equestrian world and i actually have some questions about the fei shows!

so what exactly are the fei shows? i mean i love watching the show jumping livestreams but i'm always confused. how often are they held and in which countries usually? who can qualify to participate in the fei? what's the difference between the world cup and a national cup? are all fei shows the grand prix?

sorry if some questions are so silly but i can't seem to find any straightforward answer online!
minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verdana » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:22 pm

The team is back together! I'm back home, and for the first time since February 2020 I got to see Sitara. Special baby child. My heart is very full. Saturday I'm going to spend time with my Other Girls, and I'll take lessons at both places while I am here. Always stuff to learn!
Attachments
IMG-20230622-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20230622-WA0015.jpg (129.76 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Screenshot_2023-06-23-10-17-53-031_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg
Screenshot_2023-06-23-10-17-53-031_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg (450.77 KiB) Viewed 61 times
IMG_20230622_144908.jpg
IMG_20230622_144908.jpg (4.46 MiB) Viewed 61 times
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me