Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby riri57 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:46 pm

lance ☼ wrote:
oh man i can't imagine how hard that was :( they tried to guilt me into selling my girl because she wouldn't make it past modified in florida and they were like oh she could go for 30k as a BN packer and you can get a nice OTTB. called my trainer/best friend bawling bc she's the one who gave me imp and i didn't know what to do and she's like "you know you can say no right? that horse has changed you." they lorded everything over my head but that was the one thing i set my foot down on. we rescued that horse entirely feral and i brought her from the ground up, she's my pride and joy.

BAHAHA glad someone else appreciates a good dad joke. lmk how it goes and if you need we can kinda navigate it together bc i'm still class 1 and working on getting all my gear!!

oh my god graceland too is my second favorite!!

I'm sooo glad you got to keep your girl. And for sure! Same goes for you, I'm not on much at all but message me whenever! Thanks for chatting:D
^Tessa Gray <3
riri57

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ARCH4VED » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:11 pm

I use to take CARE of horses, a family friend, specifically my mothers! Anyway her and someone had an argument now doesn't ever wanna go back, ect ect.

Anyways I use to to run around in the pasture, hang out in the stall, and just have fun. Yee I absolutely love horses!
I have to redo this uh. I was CrazySilv_er

ImageImageImageImage
ARCH4VED

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby June Bug » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:40 pm

CW: Euthanasia (No need to engage if this upsets you <3)

I'm facing the possibility that it's time to put my boy down and I'm kind of struggling with it. I've bent over backwards to keep him healthy and happy, but it seems as though his Cushings and Insulin Resistance have now progressed to a point where we can't seem to keep his chemistry in balance. He has rotation in both front feet (10 degrees on the right, 14 degrees on the left) and is in supportive shoes. He's been on a strict diet, heavy doses of meds, and a careful exercise program, but he's now laminitic for the second time this winter despite all this.
I'm very afraid that he'll try to slough a hoof again (we managed to keep it from doing so ~5 years ago after a post-founder abscess) and don't want to put him through that again now that he's older and less otherwise stable.

He's currently comfortable on nsaids, but other than waiting it out, we don't really have any other paths to take. Hes bright and engaged, so I don't think he's really ready, but I also don't want to wait until he's really hurting.

Any words of encouragement that I'd be making the right decision to pick a day now before it gets worse would be very welcome. I've assisted with many a euthanasia of horses I've known and loved through the years, but this is the first time I'll be putting my own down.

Sorry for how long and upsetting this is, haha ^^;
June Bug
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:39 pm

@June Bug: *hug* I'm in similar boat with my older mare (she turned 28 this year), though less big issues more little ones (and stupid financial things).
Honestly repeating laminitis is not a good sign and the chances of those rotations getting worse is high each time. And with the metabolic issues laminitis will continue to be a risk forever. Which is probably something you already know. It really does sound like you've done what you can for him and I would be having same thoughts as you in that situation, if he isn't really getting better with the current laminitis episode and would need to be on pain medication long term to stay comfortable. So if you do end up going the euthanasia route, I would 100% understand.
It's a hard decision. I've had years to wrap my head around my situation and it still made me cry bad when I realized last year this will be most likely last winter for Heta. But at the same time, we've done what we can for them, we don't want to see our loved horse in pain and it's part of loving them to know when to let go. <3
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Meoauniaea » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:45 am

So I don't ride. I want to, but I cannot afford it. Models are just cheaper.

HOWEVER, I work at a therapy barn. And on Valentine's day, I had a cheeky pony bite me on the butt, after being SO careful because I knew he bites. He's so darn cute though. He just clearly was ready for dinner!

Currently working with twelve wonderful geldings and I can't say enough about them. My favorites have to be the Welsh pony (not the biter) and the Percheron-Arabian mix. I also have an extreme soft spot for the Haflinger, who is a big baby doll and just loves being pet on. He lets the volunteers braid his mane and make him look pretty while he sleepily stands there, eyes almost shut, just enjoying the attention. He's a welcome change from the two Haflingers I worked with as a teen, who liked to flip their 100 gallon water tub, make mud, and roll in it... on show day. ALWAYS on show day. I low-key do NOT miss Big Red and his mischief.

You can call me Hadley, that's fine too.
How to say my username (and the meaning)
Toyhou.se || Flight Rising || Pixpet || Final Outpost || PFQ
Discord: redfailhawk

Lilypad won her AKC CGC title on 10/18/23!
Lilypad won her CGCA title on 11/8/23!

NaNoWriMo Winner:
2018-2019-2020-2021-2022-2023
Meoauniaea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verdana » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:14 am

June Bug wrote:CW: Euthanasia (No need to engage if this upsets you <3)

I'm facing the possibility that it's time to put my boy down and I'm kind of struggling with it. I've bent over backwards to keep him healthy and happy, but it seems as though his Cushings and Insulin Resistance have now progressed to a point where we can't seem to keep his chemistry in balance. He has rotation in both front feet (10 degrees on the right, 14 degrees on the left) and is in supportive shoes. He's been on a strict diet, heavy doses of meds, and a careful exercise program, but he's now laminitic for the second time this winter despite all this.
I'm very afraid that he'll try to slough a hoof again (we managed to keep it from doing so ~5 years ago after a post-founder abscess) and don't want to put him through that again now that he's older and less otherwise stable.

He's currently comfortable on nsaids, but other than waiting it out, we don't really have any other paths to take. Hes bright and engaged, so I don't think he's really ready, but I also don't want to wait until he's really hurting.

Any words of encouragement that I'd be making the right decision to pick a day now before it gets worse would be very welcome. I've assisted with many a euthanasia of horses I've known and loved through the years, but this is the first time I'll be putting my own down.

Sorry for how long and upsetting this is, haha ^^;

Ah, JuneBug, and Hime in fact, I'm sorry to hear this. It's the awful inevitable with these big guys, huh? I've never owned a horse of my own, and so I've never had to be the one to make The Choice. My old coach used to say 'rather a week too early than a second too late'. And I really resonate with that. Sending lots of love and good vibes to you, feel free to DM if you need to talk it out. I remember when both of you were younger on this thread, when you bought Granix, when he was Grande. Hime I wanna hear about the Icelandic Pony family.

I've just moved to the UK for university and I started taking riding lessons at the place affiliated with the university in November? Maybe October.

Guys. I'm having a really nice time.

There was that initial weird sussing-out moment from the horse people, been sitting on a bunch of school ponies, couple of schoolmasters, but now sort of moving towards schoolmasters/babies and onto the More Exciting horses. They sort of tested me out with a Big Bay warmblood/Irish Draught gelding schoolmaster (who handed my ass to me a little, but I won't lie I loved it, 10/10 would do again) and then I had sort of a rough ride on a lesson pony who'd been trouble in the school (the lesson before, I'd gotten this just GORGEOUS 13hh skewbald New Forest mare pulled out of the New Forest as a feralish mare with a foal at foot, 8 years old and cute as a button, and JUST like a pony I used to ride back at home. The coach kept shouting out,
'She looks really happy!' and tbh I was glad because I was having a fantastic time on her, pressing all her lil buttons. She had ALL the transitions in place, from halt to canter and back down to halt. She had a lil leg yield! And a not-half-bad shoulder-in. Maybe the nicest I'd managed to ride lateral-work). And then I had a rough ride and felt very dejected because other Trouble School Pony didn't magically turn angelic for me like the previous Trouble School Pony (tbh I came off him 45 minutes later feeling as if I'd made the problem worse, not better).

And then on Monday I got Bob

Bob is REALLY FRIGGING CUTE. He's a big old Irish Cob/drum horse type, with stupid big hairy feet and a dumb white face, one brown one blue eye, a MOUSTACHE (!) with funny dark ears and a blue roan/sabino thing going on. He's a looker. About 8 years old, comes from a maybe not so nice home (origin story unclear) and the instructor describes him to me as 'a bit tense' when I'm getting on. And she's standing at my knee looking up at me, and I suddenly felt 15 years old with my old instructor from back home standing next to me and talking me through a new horse before a ride. It felt good to remember that I've got hours under my belt and experience, LOTS of different horses and mostly successful rides. Some real bad ones thrown in there, but when I look back at those really bad rides later, they're probably the ones where I learnt the most about myself, the ones that changed me for the better.

And I just sort of had a ride and enjoyed it. And it was simple. A little wiggly sometimes, a bit messy on the right rein, but he was an uncomplicated, fundamentally good loveable baby who just wanted to do a good job. He tried so very hard. His feet are Very Big and hairy and cantering is hard work, but he tried his best at laterals. And we had fun together and were both better for it and I'd happily do it again.

And that's where I'm at. Next lesson's on Monday evening.
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby OutFoxed » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:44 am

That's a hard story to hear - seeing that you've gone above and beyond to care for your horse shows good horsemanship and animal husbandry. The biggest struggle with being an animal advocate and caretaker is the fact that they can't tell us their problems and feelings, which we have to assume and guess. Going through the steps of veterinary diagnostics, excellent farrier work, and medication is the best way to use our knowledge to help give a quality life to those in our care. A major part of stewardship is being the voice for when an animal needs to move on - either to a new home or from this life.
    So often the societal pressures are influencing or taking away the right for an owner to make those decisions. Neither selling a horse or putting one down is a horrible decision - sometimes it truly is the kindest and best decision that can be made.
    The saying of "It's better to put an animal down a day early than a day too late" has a lot of depth behind it. I have seen and had animals on both sides of that phrase - the ones who are having a good day as their last, and those who are suffering beyond what they should have. Some instances the animal took a turn for the worst very quickly. From personal experience, being able to have the day end on a good note - with the animal not suffering and able to be in peace is much better than having an emergency situation where they are hurt, in pain, and in a drastic scenario.
    Things to consider - quality of life.
    You stated that the horse is relatively okay and managed on anti-inflammatories and painkillers, while also on management medication and lifestyle. That's great - but you also stated that the horse is going through laminitic changes with higher risk factors (like degloving the hoof).
    Are you willing and able to put the horse through a worse-case-scenario, are you able to cover that situation?
    Weighing out the risk factors - will the horse be comfortable and happy through the foreseeable future? A day, a week, a month, a season, etc.?
    What is the horse's quality of life? Can they eat, drink, pass waste, lay down/get up, walk/run?
    What is your quality of life? Financially? Are you able to find peace in the current situation or are you stressed?
    What are the risk factors? Laminitis - progressing beyond comfort; other leg issues; ulcers, etc.
    Does the horse have a job or work load? Can he do so comfortably?

A major thing to know - your horse doesn't understand that tomorrow is or is not coming.
    He only knows right now. He knows he is in pain. He knows that he doesn't want for food, water, affection.
    He does not judge you for making this decision

If the pain can be managed to a point where it goes away or is minimal - if the horse can lead a relatively normal life of eating and playing.

But if managing the pain leads to other illnesses (ulcers) or it cannot be subdued - then maybe it's time to let him go so he's not in constant pain or fear of being in pain.

Euthanasia is not a bad decision. It is not taken lightly. And no one who is in the position of making that decision does so on a whim.
    In most cases, it is the best decision for that animal.

Making this post, shows a lot of courage and thought has been put into it.
    The veterinary work, the farrier work, and the lifestyle change that you've done for this horse to give him the best possible outcome shows how much you care for him.
    Scheduling to put him to sleep while he's having a good day is just one more way that you are showing him how much you love and care for him.
    -
    It might help to schedule a 'fun' day for you and your horse before the scheduled euthanasia - do all the things he loves; have a spa day and a photo shoot; feed him all of his absolute favorite treats - let him pig out on grass and candy; spend time with him just sitting and watching him as he moves about the paddock/pasture; draw him; let him meet/interact with other horses or animals; take a walk down the road or down a nearby trail; go to a lake/pond
    If you're able to spend the time with him while he's feeling good - store those memories of him. Not when he's suffering and in an emergency situation.

- - -
    Hope that helps a little bit - whatever decision you make, is rightfully yours to make. No one should make you feel bad or anything for it.

You are supported in your decisions

@Hime - I can't believe Heta is almost 30 already! I've enjoyed reading your stories about your Icelandics and following their various training journeys. The way you've described them and shared all about them has given me such a deeper appreciation for the breed.

@Meoauniaea
    I get that - there's a barrier to horses and it seems once you have them it's a lot easier to be involved (and you can easily be horse-poor). If you're not able to take lessons or work at a barn for rides, then it seems nearly impossible to be around them.
    Sounds like you're doing it though - models are really nice; I've watched a couple youtube videos about people making custom horses and designing stable yards from scratch - amazing work and detail! Some of the Breyer Horse Auctions can get pretty pricey though! I used to drool over the Breyer catalog when it came out. I thought the Huckleberry Bey model was divine when he first came out.

Therapeutic barns are the best! I've worked at a couple and it's such an eye-opening experience to horses on a new level. One place I worked at seven Haflingers. They generally have a great disposition, and their build is great for the riders as well as short enough for the sidewalker volunteers. A couple of them drove as well!
    What do you do at the therapy barn?

@Verdana -
    Wow! That's got to be a neat change to move countries for uni!
    Have you noticed a lot of differences?
    What classes are you taking? (if you don't mind me asking - I'm a huge nerd. I've been reminiscing about my college courses lately and how fortunate I was to be able to take and experience such awesome learning opportunities - and also how weird it is to say that one of the classes I took was called Tack & Equipment XD

Imposter Syndrome is so real and sometimes very hard to shake!
    Every time I step away from the equine industry and come back, I have this total nervousness about being around horses and how I don't know anything. Then muscle memory hits hardcore and my body is like - it's a horse! we know all about horses! And I'm like, oh yeah, I actually do know things. Like a couple weeks ago I went with an acquaintance to help her at small horse show - and I immediately went into show groom mode, which I haven't done professionally in almost ten years.

I LOVE horses with mustaches! They are so adorable! And the hair can be unruly when you attempt to shave it lol!
    My friend's mare has a beard going on - which I tell her is unlady like, but the mare doesn't care and asks for more treats and scratches!

Are you riding the horses in training or is it like a weekly lesson?
    I think that can be hard when you're in a lesson with a different horse every time - you can't always work through problems or issues. Sometimes it's about dealing with the horse you have today, and with a lesson it's also about following direction.
    It'll make you a better rider because you have to be able to ride whatever horse you're given and have them perform the maneuvers; you're able to find your seat on any horse's back with confidence. But working with a horse through a problem over a period of time helps the horse. I love the problem solving aspect - finding what training technique is going to help the horse overcome the issue. Being able to document the before and after is very cool.
    - sorry rambling

Post pictures if you can!
    I love seeing all the horses - putting names to faces!

- - -

I'm hoping to get certified to teach sidesaddle this year - been studying a lot. But I need more opportunities to ride. Which has been an issue for a while.

I have one opportunity to ride (the horse I've been working with for years off and on). The owner isn't always easy to deal with. Like I get the horse in to a riding program where we get into shape and are able to start working towards goals, and then the owner is like That's My Horse and I'm going to do ... Which is super frustrating because I do all the hard work of getting the horse in a program and in shape to be affective in a dressage lesson, and then the owner swoops in and sets a majorly strict schedule (but then she never sticks to it!!!) So I bend over to make her comfortable and happy and she just brushes me off like I'm nothing.

And it all stings worse because I created a 'business' for equestrian services where I charge people for me to ride and work their horse - and this lady has never paid me a dime for my time. It's been a mutually beneficial relationship - I get pony time and get myself into riding condition, and she gets her horse worked and doesn't have a salty horse whenever she does finally show up to ride. There's such a difference in the horse's manners when I've been working with it for a little bit and then the gaps when she's been "working" with it.
    I rode the horse for the first time in a couple weeks (after previously working about 4-5 weeks consistently) and the ground manners were awful, and the horse kept bulging through my leg aids and pushing the shoulder through corners. Even with a rail - there wasn't a straight line! Okay - so the wind was pretty blustery and the horse was very LOOKY - so it was a MOVE FORWARD ride; you want to stand and look, nope move your feet, go forward!

I'm just so frustrated by the situation. And I haven't been able to find peace with it for like a month.
    Every thing about this woman has really gotten under my skin and irked me.
    I got a new (used) tack trunk (hers was falling apart and the lid didn't stay on. I scrubbed it and carefully organized everything. One day I come in to ride and the trunk is literally a mess - things everywhere, all of the tools in the grooming box basically thrown around. I had spent a few hours carefully cleaning her saddle and bridle, stirrups and girth, washed saddle pads - and she had no care about how any of it is. She piles things on top of each other all folded wonky. Sweaty girth on top of the saddle (fleece to the leather!)
    Like all the little things I did to make sure her things were kept in good condition and lasting a long time - nope she doesn't notice or care. But she will stand around and talk about how much money she spends on treats and supplements and a new saddle pad and this fancy item. And in the same breath talk about how much she works and how she doesn't have any money.
    Umm, excuse me - I literally have to save up coin change to buy gas to get to the barn. And all of my stuff is second hand. I need a new helmet desperately too. But have to save up the money and gas money to just to go to the tack store an hour away. (I need to try helmets on and don't want to order online - and I don't want the $40 pink Troxell from Tractor Supply.)

Oh my - sorry. Huge rant there
OutFoxed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verdana » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:20 am

Screenshot_2023-02-14-06-03-39-376_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2023-02-14-06-03-39-376_com.android.chrome.jpg (570.75 KiB) Viewed 74 times

This is Bob
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verdana » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:17 pm

Good lesson! Bob again. Other rider also on a greener mare, newer one I don't think I've seen before. I don't know much about her ride. Mine was lovely
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostface. » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:10 pm

hoping i can adopt a buckskin gelding from the BLM. technically a wild mustang but he let me pet him and seemed very attached to me when i went to visit. he has a friend that is almost his twin (probably from the same herd, maybe siblings). the twin seems very curious, i like his demeanor and would be keen towards adopting him purely for his inquisitive mind but i think im going to try for the gelding that was more attached to me because i think that foundation of trust will help me with the gentling process (-:
ghostface.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me