Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Licorice. » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:52 pm

Woot! Week 1 of the spring session is underway! I got to work with a crabby 22 year old solid paint gelding named Licorice. I found him to be sweet, but does anyone have relaxation techniques. He gets snappy at the mounting block and tried to nip a couple of times during grooming and in the arena. I have tried massage using the T-touch and when he shows positive behavior I continue the motion. I really want him to be comfortable and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas...
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

Licorice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lennon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:00 pm

When you're super excited about getting your new german made bridle but it breaks before you
even ride in it, (just one of the keepers so still rode in it), Now have to go through the hassle of returning it, plus the leather isn't as nice as I was expecting for the price.
Any who I'm happy to be brining this monster back into work. Starting light with 30-45 min walk sessions for a couple weeks and lunging every couple days. But I can't wait to start jumping again. This whole conditioning thing is killing me right now. But hey, taking it slow means less chance of injury.
looking for some basic equine art
please pm me
will pay well

"whatever you are, be a good one."

young adult on the west coast
animal enthusiast = border collies, horses, reptiles
music lover = PA!D, NF, Rainbow Kitten Suprise
collecting all rats
donations appreciated

trade✼howrse✼want art of my dog✼Flight Rising✼
©

xxxxxxxxxxxx

lennon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby APH Italy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Have any of y'all had to pass on owning a horse you loved dearly? I was leasing a TB X mare for about a year and had talked about potentially owning her. But it just got to the point of not being feasible anymore. She's old and isn't consistently sound. She can't jump and basically will have to be on previcox now. Which is like 200 bucks a bottle. Plus they've started putting back shoes on her and i cannot keep up with all her upkeep. I love her so much and we've had such a strong bond so I can't help but feel like utter garbage about the whole situation...

Am I the only one?
APH Italy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spirit23Wolf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:08 pm

APH Italy wrote:Have any of y'all had to pass on owning a horse you loved dearly? I was leasing a TB X mare for about a year and had talked about potentially owning her. But it just got to the point of not being feasible anymore. She's old and isn't consistently sound. She can't jump and basically will have to be on previcox now. Which is like 200 bucks a bottle. Plus they've started putting back shoes on her and i cannot keep up with all her upkeep. I love her so much and we've had such a strong bond so I can't help but feel like utter garbage about the whole situation...

Am I the only one?

This happened to me with my last lease horse I love him so much but I didn’t feel like I could give him the life that he deserved I spent so long with him we were together basically every day, doing something like lunging grooming or just hanging out in the field. It broke my heart to leave him and I still miss him a ton but in the end I know I made the right decision for him and me
Pet's name: Everest (Thank You KIONO)
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
Spirit23Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sforzando. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:34 pm

I started leasing today and the only things I knew about the horse I lease are: he was abused so you can't tack him up in the cross ties - he freaks out around rubber mats, he's got some spunk, and he's over 30 years old. so the first time I heard 30 I was a little iffy; I once leased a horse with arthritis and it was a disaster so I didn't want a repeat of that. but I got him out into the arena and he had one speed: go fast
he rides in a hackamore so I was preparing mentally but he responded to everything I did - I did western for a number of years and so I curiously did a little neck reining with him and he was perfect for it
apparently he competes for the kids in hunter jumping and that's such a good thing for me because I'm finally learning to jump and he's gonna help so much
elder scrolls instagram acc.
ImageImage
central time. not very active anymore. 911 dispatcher irl.
sforzando.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby toskurra » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:44 am

Image Hello ! First time on this thread, but it looks fun x nice to see some fellow riders/owners on here.
One of my best friends is a photographer and we recently had a photoshoot with my mare, Coco. I'm a little obsessed with her photos :D
My horse is a 16 yo ISH (Irish Draught x APH) who stands at about 15.3/16 hh. Her show name is Riverside's Touch of Coco and we do primarily dressage and show jumping! She's a dream to ride and a true schoolmaster. So excited for the summer x

Question for anyone else, what colors do you think looks best on your horse? And do you like being matchy matchy like me? (Pretty exident from the photo lol)
toskurra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Deku_is_best_boi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:48 am

toskurra wrote:
Image Hello ! First time on this thread, but it looks fun x nice to see some fellow riders/owners on here.
One of my best friends is a photographer and we recently had a photoshoot with my mare, Coco. I'm a little obsessed with her photos :D
My horse is a 16 yo ISH (Irish Draught x APH) who stands at about 15.3/16 hh. Her show name is Riverside's Touch of Coco and we do primarily dressage and show jumping! She's a dream to ride and a true schoolmaster. So excited for the summer x

Question for anyone else, what colors do you think looks best on your horse? And do you like being matchy matchy like me? (Pretty exident from the photo lol)

so pretty!! i do jumping and barrels with my horse and when it comes to western riding i love to be matchy matchy. I could care less about what i wear though. My breast collar, bridle, reins, my girth (well, part of it) and my saddlepad cover are blue! and i dont have a proper english/jumping saddle pad, i just have a white one (i dont remember what they are called lol), but i do want to get a blue one like yours! i have an jumping saddle, but i need a proper english bridle and a martingale. I currently just use one of my western bridles for jumping. OH! i also have black leg protecters and black bell boots, but my leg protecters are the same leg cause im kinda dumb lol. But i plan on getting blue leg protecters and blue bell boots to match my western tack and stuff.

My horse is a American Quarter horse, our vet said he might be an appendix, he is around 17/18 yo. I have had him for about a year now! His name is amigo, currently has no show name. He is a bay and is around 16-17 hands maybe (idk)? He isnt the best at ground work cause he can get somewhat agressive but is an absolute angel (sometimes) when it comes to riding. He LOVES doing barrels and i think he quite injoys jumping.

I also have a pony named Daisy. She is a pure blood haflinger (from what we know), and is around 10/11 yo. She is unridable and is not very good with groundwork. She gets very buddysour without amigo. But, she is the cutest thing ever. She would be a great pony riding pony or a therapy horse. she can be very sweet and gentle. And yes ik i said she isnt ridable but she can be ridden, as long as someone is leading her and it is not faster than a walk.
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
𝔹𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕤𝕠𝕟 𝕌𝕟𝕔𝕝𝕖
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
𝕀𝕣𝕠𝕙 𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨𝕤 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕔a𝕟 𝕓𝕖
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
━━━━━ ❝𝕋𝕙𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕥 𝕖𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝔼𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕙, 𝕀 𝕒𝕝𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕒𝕞 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕙𝕠𝕟𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕕 𝕠𝕟𝕖.❞ - 𝔾𝕠𝕛𝕠 𝕊𝕒𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕦 ━━━━━
╔═══════════╗

☁︎~~~~~~☺︎~~~~~~☁︎
𝐻𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑜 <3
𝑐𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑚𝑒 𝐷𝑒𝑘𝑢, 𝑜𝑟 𝑎𝑛𝑦𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑦𝑜𝑢'𝑑 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒
𝐴𝑛𝑦 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑛𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑠 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑘 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑆ℎ𝑒/𝑇ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑖𝑠 𝑝𝑟𝑒𝑓𝑒𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑑!
𝐼𝑚 𝑎 𝑏𝑎𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑙 𝑟𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑟, 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝐼𝑚 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑎𝑘𝑒 𝑎 𝑛𝑎𝑚𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑚𝑦𝑠𝑒𝑙𝑓!
𝑆ℎ𝑒𝑧𝑎 𝑤𝑜𝑚𝑎𝑛 𝑜𝑓 𝑓𝑎𝑚𝑒 (𝑎𝑘𝑎 𝑓𝑎𝑛𝑐𝑦) 𝑖𝑠 𝑚𝑦 𝑚𝑎𝑖𝑛 𝑏𝑎𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑙 ℎ𝑜𝑟𝑠𝑒
𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑖 𝑜𝑤𝑛 𝑡𝑤𝑜 𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑠: 𝐴𝑚𝑖𝑔𝑜 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑃𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑜𝑟𝑎
𝐼 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑒𝑡𝑒 𝑖𝑛 𝑎 𝑓𝑢𝑛𝑑𝑟𝑎𝑖𝑠𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑏𝑎𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑙 𝑟𝑎𝑐𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑆𝑡. 𝐽𝑢𝑑𝑒 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑦𝑒𝑎𝑟,
𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑐𝑒𝑒𝑑𝑠 𝑔𝑜 𝑡𝑜 𝑆𝑡. 𝐽𝑢𝑑𝑒!
𝐼𝑚 𝑎𝑙𝑠𝑜 𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑜 𝑃ℎ𝑜𝑡𝑜𝑔𝑟𝑎𝑝ℎ𝑦, 𝑀𝑜𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑐𝑦𝑐𝑙𝑒𝑠, 𝐴𝑛𝑖𝑚𝑒, 𝑒𝑡𝑐.
𝐷𝑚 𝐼 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑏𝑖𝑡𝑒!!
𝑆𝑖𝑔 𝑖𝑠 𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑎 𝑊𝐼𝑃
☁︎~~~~~~☹︎~~~~~~☁︎
✨😌' D
😌✨
━━━━━━━━━━━━
🎨 | ☺︎ | 🛢
⚓︎ | link | link
link | link | link
link | link | link

╚═══════════╝
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
Deku_is_best_boi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Kira Nightblade. » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:00 am

Hi! :D I don't have a horse, I hope to get one sometime in the future when I'm older,
but anyways, I'm just wondering what was your reaction when you got your horse('s)?
vibin
Sae the Fae#6926 on discord
.Kira Nightblade.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:12 am

i would say...oh my ...so much Money, time and work is needed for it and things it needs... and so much to think about.... ;)
....that i fully got when i got a bit older and older ..and did have to help out mre and more or even did take care of it later full on my own and did pay more and more...like i slowly payed of my horse from my parents, also things i did need ,that we did not have, i worked hard while bringing newspaper each weeked and also helping at home....also so much work while helping at the barn we had the horse at ;)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Licorice. » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:02 am

APH Italy wrote:Have any of y'all had to pass on owning a horse you loved dearly? I was leasing a TB X mare for about a year and had talked about potentially owning her. But it just got to the point of not being feasible anymore. She's old and isn't consistently sound. She can't jump and basically will have to be on previcox now. Which is like 200 bucks a bottle. Plus they've started putting back shoes on her and i cannot keep up with all her upkeep. I love her so much and we've had such a strong bond so I can't help but feel like utter garbage about the whole situation...

Am I the only one?

Is there a way that you could go out and groom her or spend time with her by walking her? That way you could still spend time with her without leasing/owning her.
------
I have been riding for 7 years and have never owned a horse. I have been fortunate enough to ride at the same location, but have never leased/owned a horse. My parents are not inclined to even potentially look at owning a horse due to the fact that I will be leaving for college soon. I volunteer at a therapeutic riding facility and have fallen in love with a horse that I work with. I really want to adopt him when he retires, but I know realistically that it probably will never happen. I just concentrate on the happy moments and spending as much time with him as possible and giving him as much love as I can.

Question:
Does anyone have relaxation techniques for horse?. He gets snappy at the mounting block and tried to nip a couple of times during grooming and in the arena. I have tried massage using the T-touch and when he shows positive behavior I continue the motion. I really want him to be comfortable and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas... A bit of background on him. No, I do not ride him, but groom and lead him at a therapeutic riding facility. I pm'd Luzien and did get a reply but they suggested asking on the forum for more ideas. We free lunged him in the arena before the lesson yesterday and it seemed to help a bit. They typically do not stretch/lunge the horses before lessons. I am not the one that rides him, but as soon as the rider is on he is better. It is just grooming and mounting. Just free standing he is fine but touching him he will pin his ears. He has Navicular disease in his front hooves and has pads under his shoes for balance and pain tolerance (I just found that out yesterday). I have been saying NO in a firm voice but it does not seem to help. I am only there twice a week and only work with him once a week (on Saturday's). He is handled by multiple people that all have different styles of handling and by different instructors with different approaches to horse training. Thank you to anyone that has any ideas/input.

Licorice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me