Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby DapperMayhaps » Sun May 26, 2024 10:53 pm

Meoauniaea wrote:Hello!

I don't know if/when I introduced my current dog!
Her name is Lilypad, and she's a husky-pit mix (some traces of Chow as well), per her EMBARK test. Compact and lean, lovely shepherd-like build, and she's really expressive with MASSIVE upright ears that make her kinda look like Bolt, if Bolt was a Husky.

She's a registered AKC Canine Partner and has earned CGC and CGCA over the last year. We're working on TKN (I just need to get the videos to submit the paperwork, and unfortunately my cell phone video quality is best described as prehistoric potato). We're hoping to do more with Trick over the next year.

She's not expressed much interest in Rally, and she's not really into the idea of FastCAT (nor do I have a car, and it's an hour away). Dock Diving isn't available locally just yet, but there are two facilities under construction I believe, and the only agility facility is too far away for me. However, we're active in the Canicross scene, and we're now the heads of the club!

Lily graduated Service Dog training just two weeks ago! Which is incredible! She's been working on this for two years now, and she passed one of the biggest tests of all: a brand new environment duo, no backup, and she aced every bit of it. She did the movies (boring, but she liked the popcorn, lol), and then the mall! She completely ignored two aggressive small dogs while there and was polite around another service dog, which was awesome as we've not had the ability to work alongside other teams much. She also rode an escalator for the first time; these are pretty rare here so this was the first time we actually had a chance to use one, since the other theatre closed permanently during covid. We also took an elevator. She handled two panic attacks like a champ, doing pressure therapy and blocking at the time, as well as gave deaf alert cues when needed.

I cannot say enough about how PROUD I am of my dog.

Also, bonus: her first trip to the movies had three small kids right behind us with their mom and dad, all of the kids under six years old. Young enough that the parents were reading the screen text to them, as we were seeing The Phantom Menace. She completely ignored all of the kids (who were honestly incredibly well behaved), and afterwards the mom of the group leaned over the seats and told me "I don't know about you, but I think she did GREAT!!" and *keysmash* that was honestly the most validating thing I've ever been told by a complete stranger. I had warned the group behind me that she LOVES kids to a fault and was friendly, but also that it was her first time in a theatre setting, so if she was disruptive we'd leave. They were so chuffed with her performance, and I let the kids pet her and told them how she helps me after the screening, so the parents were incredibly pleased with the whole experience and the kids were extremely respectful. Honestly, those parents deserve a reward.

It's really cool to see how much this dog has changed me as a trainer. I had to say goodbye to my previous SD about two years ago, who was my first dog I ever trained, and I'm so proud to see Lily following in her pawsteps.

I love the fact that she is training to be a rescue dog because I feel that way they can also help others, not only you. It's like spreading love to everyone. I think you are very proud, and so am I. Can't wait to hear more from you two
𝔇𝔞𝔭𝔭𝔢𝔯𝔐𝔞𝔶𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔰
DapperMayhaps

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me