The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What type of rodents do you have?

Rats
27%
Hamsters
17%
Gerbils
5%
Mice
11%
Guinea Pigs
15%
Chinchillas
2%
Degus
1%
None :(
15%
None, but getting some soon!
7%

Total votes : 339

Postby beebopbee » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:33 am

Username: azalea,
      Favorite type of rodent: gerbil !!
      Tell us about your pets: i've got two male lilac gerbils, lilac and dandelion and they live in a 20 gallon aquarium !!
      Other:
btuh
beebopbee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Postby dwarjam » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:30 am

I used to post in the old thread, but I guess I gotta refill the form anyway? :>

Username:
      dwarjam

Favorite type of rodent:
      rats!!! <3

Tell us about your pets:
      I have most been a rat owner, they're the perfect pets for me, although, I do not currently own any rats anymore, but I've got 4 degus instead.

my degus like to keep to themselves, except for Kermit, he's a sweet boy who loves hand cuddles and scritches!
      rest prefer to keep to themselves.
      Kermit and Mary are siblings, and so are Mao and Wu. Both pairs are from different families though.
      Wu has half a tail, as somehow there was an accident with a kid in her previous home that somehow ended up with poor thing's tail snapping off.
      I have identical huge cages for both boys and girls. Vetro Pet Inn 100.

Mary is the big one,
      smaller one facing the camera is Mao,
      and on the left side you can see Wu's butt.
      Kermit enjoying some scritches.

more Kermit: [link] [link]
      Kermit and Mary: [link] [link]

Other:
      besides 4 degus I own a lot of more pets.
      a whole army of rescue cats: Leela, Diego, Lana, and Lana's kittens Kriimu and Sorts
      (extra photos of Diego and the kittens that he loves a lot: [link])
      and a lovely dog Moritz

I'm sorry for a huge load of information, I just love talking about my pets!
- - - -
​​​​ᴠ​​​​​ᴀɪʀʏᴏ, ᴀ ᴏ

ᴀ ʜᴏᴍ ᴠᴀ ʏᴀ ʀᴀʏ

ᴠᴀɪʀʏᴏ, ᴀ ʀᴀʏ

ᴊᴇʀʜᴜᴍᴇ ʙʀᴜɴɴᴇɴ ɢ​​​​​​​​​​

- - - -

[ FR | TH ]
[ @dwarjam on other platforms ]

dwarjam

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mierose » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:50 am

I spent a bunch of time going through hamster youtube channels and looking at German-style cages, and now Rudy has a detolf. Knowing Ikea, you can of course guess that I came out with a desk I didn't need and multiple household trinkets (that I definitely didn't need). He's incredibly happy with it and has been a lot more active, and I'll say everything being see-through sure does make spot cleaning a lot easier. If you have space and the patience to build it (I almost didn't), I definitely recommend it!

Some pics of the boy (old and new):
x x x x x
The glass definitely makes taking good pictures more difficult aha
THE. SECRET. OF. LIFE. IS. TO. KEEP. LOOKING. UP

MickiJayGonny
KiffKnightDimi

Call me mier or rose | She/her | Lesbian | Sagittarius

Buttermilks

. .. .
mierose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby beebopbee » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:22 am

mierose wrote:I spent a bunch of time going through hamster youtube channels and looking at German-style cages, and now Rudy has a detolf. Knowing Ikea, you can of course guess that I came out with a desk I didn't need and multiple household trinkets (that I definitely didn't need). He's incredibly happy with it and has been a lot more active, and I'll say everything being see-through sure does make spot cleaning a lot easier. If you have space and the patience to build it (I almost didn't), I definitely recommend it!

x x x x x

i've heard about the detolfs! i might end up getting one for my gerbils. right now they are in a 20 gal tank <3
btuh
beebopbee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby gamorasass » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:41 am

azalea, wrote:
        Username: azalea,
        Favorite type of rodent: gerbil !!
        Tell us about your pets: i've got two male lilac gerbils, lilac and dandelion and they live in a 20 gallon aquarium !!
        Other:
      Welcome!!
    dwarjam wrote:
        I used to post in the old thread, but I guess I gotta refill the form anyway? :>

Username:
        dwarjam

Favorite type of rodent:
        rats!!! <3

Tell us about your pets:
        I have most been a rat owner, they're the perfect pets for me, although, I do not currently own any rats anymore, but I've got 4 degus instead.

my degus like to keep to themselves, except for Kermit, he's a sweet boy who loves hand cuddles and scritches!
        rest prefer to keep to themselves.
        Kermit and Mary are siblings, and so are Mao and Wu. Both pairs are from different families though.
        Wu has half a tail, as somehow there was an accident with a kid in her previous home that somehow ended up with poor thing's tail snapping off.
        I have identical huge cages for both boys and girls. Vetro Pet Inn 100.

Mary is the big one,
        smaller one facing the camera is Mao,
        and on the left side you can see Wu's butt.
        Kermit enjoying some scritches.

more Kermit: [link] [link]
        Kermit and Mary: [link] [link]

Other:
        besides 4 degus I own a lot of more pets.
        a whole army of rescue cats: Leela, Diego, Lana, and Lana's kittens Kriimu and Sorts
        (extra photos of Diego and the kittens that he loves a lot: [link])
        and a lovely dog Moritz

I'm sorry for a huge load of information, I just love talking about my pets!
      Welcome! They are so cute oh my goodness. Admittedly, I don't know a ton about degus so I'm looking forward to seeing posts from you! c:
    mierose wrote:I spent a bunch of time going through hamster youtube channels and looking at German-style cages, and now Rudy has a detolf. Knowing Ikea, you can of course guess that I came out with a desk I didn't need and multiple household trinkets (that I definitely didn't need). He's incredibly happy with it and has been a lot more active, and I'll say everything being see-through sure does make spot cleaning a lot easier. If you have space and the patience to build it (I almost didn't), I definitely recommend it!

x x x x x
      I never heard of that cage before, maybe because I'm Canadian, so I'll have to look it up! But such a cute lil baby aww <3

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Re:

Postby dwarjam » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:04 am

Gamora. wrote:
      Welcome! They are so cute oh my goodness. Admittedly, I don't know a ton about degus so I'm looking forward to seeing posts from you! c:

I did see from the poll that I am the first person to mention degus. :'>
    I'll definitely try to post here every once in a while, in the old thread I posted about my rats when I had my previous pair.

owning degus for a change is really different from rats, rats are social with humans and love affection from them, but degus don't really search for it, degus want to rather be with other degus (this is why I have two pairs) and that way they are happiest.
    I mentioned Kermit there, and how I said he is the nicest of the bunch and actually likes human attention, he used to be all the way opposite, he was constantly grumpy and angry and actually started to get depressed during my search for another pair of degus, I didn't want to get another pair from a pet store, I only get pet supplies from pet stores, so sadly it took me a couple of months till I found my new pair. after Kermit meeting his new cagemate, Mao, he changed and turned into the sweetest thing ever, completely opposite of what he was.
    as for the rest, they don't enjoy affection from humans like Kermit does, I did get all of them at a young age and they never really got used to humans handling them too much. so therefore I don't really try to forcefully pick them up anymore and only let them come to me if they want to, which all of them sometimes do, they don't mind human touch when they choose to come to you, and like that I get them to sit on my hands while snacking on a treat sometimes. :>
    they are very different from all the pets I've owned in the past, so it feels a little strange to have pets that don't care about your attention. :'D
    they are still really sweet creatures, though!
- - - -
​​​​ᴠ​​​​​ᴀɪʀʏᴏ, ᴀ ᴏ

ᴀ ʜᴏᴍ ᴠᴀ ʏᴀ ʀᴀʏ

ᴠᴀɪʀʏᴏ, ᴀ ʀᴀʏ

- - - -

[ FR | TH ]

dwarjam

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satuurnity » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:38 am

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for getting good pictures of my dwarf hamster? She's so hyper that it can be really difficult to get a photo that isn't blurred haha. Thanks!
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dwarjam » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:42 am

satuurnity wrote:I was wondering if anyone has any tips for getting good pictures of my dwarf hamster? She's so hyper that it can be really difficult to get a photo that isn't blurred haha. Thanks!

whenever I take photos of my pets, I always end up taking million takes and hopefully ending up with something that is not too bad. it also absolutely depends what you're using? I rarely use my phone to take photos of my pets, unless they're sleeping or actually staying still, but a good camera can capture everything perfectly even if they are moving around a lot.
    also check your settings, phones should also have a setting to capture things that are moving. maybe try that?

and I am not sure if that would work with hamsters, but holding a treat or a toy off camera always helps me. or making sounds with your mouth (whistling, whispering, clicking, other distracting noises where they wanna stay still and pay attention to the noise). :>
- - - -
​​​​ᴠ​​​​​ᴀɪʀʏᴏ, ᴀ ᴏ

ᴀ ʜᴏᴍ ᴠᴀ ʏᴀ ʀᴀʏ

ᴠᴀɪʀʏᴏ, ᴀ ʀᴀʏ

- - - -

[ FR | TH ]

dwarjam

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:25 am

satuurnity wrote:I was wondering if anyone has any tips for getting good pictures of my dwarf hamster? She's so hyper that it can be really difficult to get a photo that isn't blurred haha. Thanks!

Your best bet is to take many photos (like @dwarjam said) but with a fast shutter speed. Use a pencil or a paint brush and focus on that, before moving it away and snapping a billion photos of your hamster. [x] may help!
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:06 pm

I currently don't own any rodents. But I Did have several rats at one point and I am very knowledgeable on *most* rodents but specifically rats. Hopefully it's okay if if I pop in every once in awhile to give advice.

I do!! Need to sell my double critter nation. It's going to be a hassle.

Also thinking about mice... Hmm.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me