Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0

Postby Blood Storm » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:43 am

bramble- claw wrote:
herpluvin wrote:
bramble- claw wrote:
anyone else have jawfish?( salt water that is)
I have a blue spotted jawfish x.x his nick name is paranoia - lol. ( not in a mean way )
then I have a fire angel, a potters angel,a fairy wrasse,and a few other ( both are in 2 "large" tanks^^ C: )

I want to set up another saltwater tank and plan to do it down the road. We had a 30 gallon FOWLR(I tbink thats what its called) tank with two clownfish, two scooter blennies, a sifting goby, and a blackfin blenny. We lost the tank to a sudden red slime algae bloom.

cute^^ I looked up what a scooter blenny is ( I haven't had a blenny in a long time, x.x I had one of those yellow and purple ones-)
this is a picture of my tank^^ well me and my moms- we share the tank XD
awww...my mom says you can get rid of red slime off with underwater fans/circulation fans- our kitchen one sometimes gets red slime, but it goes away w/h the fans.

we tried everything but after we killed it all off, it came back within a week.

I am wanting to set up a 10 gallon nano tank with either an anemone and a pair of clownfish, some corals and a small fish of some sort, or a few pieces of eelgrass and a couple dwarf seahores(a ten gallon tank is the maximum tank size for them, they are so small that in a bigger tank they would not find enough food, no matter how much you put in there for them).
BloodStorm
Blood Storm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Roadhog » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:15 am

hm. thats weird-

but cool! Me and my mom were gonna try seahorses but we ended up not having seahorses x.x
But cool^^ C:
not accepting pms right now unless I add you to my friends list.
finally quitting. I've told myself I'll quit soon, and I never did, but I finally feel like I should quit. Still keeping my characters/deviantart though. I've wanted to quit for a long long time, but I'm doing it.
Nobody on here talks with me , is friends, and I try to chat on the FR thread but nobody responds much.
Quitting CS and flightrising.

All my fr dragons/stuff went to one of my real life best friends, so don't ask for my FR stuff.
Roadhog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HorseLover! » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:18 am

HorseLover! wrote:Two part question

1. Scales

So my comet gold fish use to be pretty much all orange, now we just passed a year together and he's starting to get white on him- is this normal? I will post a pic once I get onto my computer.

2. Tank
So- Ollie the goldie is in a small tank- 10 gallons and I don't like it. But my friend has a rather large tank and she doesn't like it- so I was thinking about taking hers from her, I know a comet needs 55 gallons- but how many does a comet + a common need? Her fish is only small compared to Ollie though, he's like 60% smaller them him.

Last edited by HorseLover! on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
HorseLover!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deletedaccplsignore » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:22 am

HorseLover! wrote:

1. Scales

So my comet gold fish use to be pretty much all orange, now we just passed a year together and he's starting to get white on him- is this normal? I will post a pic once I get onto my computer.

2. Tank
So- Ollie the goldie is in a small tank- 10 gallons and I don't like it. But my friend has a rather large tank and she doesn't like it- so I was thinking about taking hers from her, I know a comet needs 55 gallons- but how many does a comet + a common need? Her fish is only small compared to Ollie though, he's like 60% smaller them him.

I believe that goldfish change color depending on the amount of light (or at least it's what I've heard ). Usually in darker tanks they develop darker black spots. I don't know about white though...
"Undisputed, respected, saluted
And seen for the wonder I am
Yes, my teeth and ambitions are bared
Be prepared!"
deletedaccplsignore

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HorseLover! » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:33 am

I edited a picture in :) it's just above his fin behind his gill.
HorseLover!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blood Storm » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:42 am

HorseLover! wrote:I edited a picture in :) it's just above his fin behind his gill.

with age goldfish change color. almost all goldfish babies start out golden with black edged fins, then the edging fades, leaving a solid colored fish, then they develop white or black markings.

black goldfish start out life black with a bronze spot on their flanks, and white goldfish are always white. they too use this style of coloration.
BloodStorm
Blood Storm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kalrine » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:49 am

1. Scales

2. Tank

1. Scales
There is a pretty simple answer to this. The darker the area you keep your goldfish in, the more white his/her scales become. I once had a little goldfish named Orange. His named described him exactly; we named him Orange because he was the deepest, most vivid, strongest shade of orange we had ever seen in a goldfish. He lived 8 years (went through 3 tank changes) before he died trying to eat my little cory catfish, who got stuck in Orange's mouth and cut Orange up really bad on the inside before escaping. Orange really liked to eat smaller fish, and we made the mistake of forgetting that and putting in a prickly little catfish. Anyway... He would have lived longer, but by the time he died, he was almost pure white because we kept is tank mostly out of the light.

2. Tank
First off, as you already know, Ollie will definitely have to move into a bigger tank as he grows. Our goldfish Orange was in a 40gal tank (still growing) when he died, to give you an idea. All single-tail goldfish (referring to the difference from fancy-tail) can get up to a foot long.
Here is the difference:
Comet
Common
Only the tail fin length is different.
Because just one adult goldfish would need a 55gal, 2 would probably need around a 90 or 100gal, 85 minimum, maybe. Keep in mind that some goldfish fight (Orange would pick on the females we used to have with him, he even killed one of the 2), so it may not work out.

╒══════════════════╕
► ► ► ► ► ► ► I like rhythm games. ◄ ◄ ◄ ◄ ◄ ◄ ◄
╘══════════════════╛

Kalrine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HorseLover! » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:00 am

I'm so glad he's not poorly then, i just thought it was strange that he's over a year old and now he's changing aha, I just get worried about my babies. Thanks for you help!

Her tank is at least triple mine so I'm hoping that I can keep them both and give them. Better life, I don't want to keep Ollie in his tank at the moment, what happened was there was a carnival and I went to make sure the goldfish where being treat as they should as as I was walking I saw this orange thing in the grass, someone had poured Ollie out of his bag and left him to die on the grass, so I picked him up and rescued him- sure I could of give him back to the vendor and be sold on but I would rather him be in my double figures tank rather then a little 1 maybe 2 gallon Kritter keeper they where selling.
HorseLover!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starfalling » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:45 am

Starfalling wrote:
Starfalling wrote:I still couldn't get a picture because I had to ake my dog for a walk. Anyways it is fuzzy and kind of resembles mold.

Also he is acting fine otherwise.
If I'm not answering, I'm probably at work. I usually get on in the late evening my time (listed timezone below)

Pronouns are they/them and you can call me Starfalling, M, or Morgan. I'm in Pennsylvania which is on EST (CStime -4)

I love trading, although I'm recently back from a long hiatus so I'm not fully up to date on demand. For any current event pets, I’ll only trade them away if I have a double, and I don't trade growing pets

I use bold a lot because it's easier for me to read, since you can't change other people's font size and being zoomed in constantly is annoying

I am a holibomber!
Sig was getting long, my counts have been moved to trade rules

Starfalling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dia. » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 am

Starfalling wrote:
Starfalling wrote:
Starfalling wrote:I still couldn't get a picture because I had to ake my dog for a walk. Anyways it is fuzzy and kind of resembles mold.

Also he is acting fine otherwise.

I suggest doing a search on the internet to see if you can find what it is.
White, fuzzy, moldy looking could be anything from bacterial to fungal to parasitic. It could also and effect of stunted growth from being in a tank that is too small or anything else.
So please get a picture so we can at least kind of see it, find a picture online that closely resembles it in it's location and appearance, or do your own research.
hiya i'm dia
she/her
INTJ

bookworm
scientist
plant lover
dog mom-->

CS Fanart Archive

Characters

art fight; *team*
CS Help | Site Rules
[avatar] | [signature]