Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Tainted~Wings » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:30 am

So my boyfriend's cousin is selling her horse and my boyfriend is thinking about buying it. I don't want him to because he wants as something he can look out at and call pretty. Now I have had horses all my life and each one has a job and when they don't it's because they're older and retired. Now I feel there is no point in him getting it because the horse will have no purpose. Does anyone have an opinion on what I should tell him or if I should let him get it
Tainted~Wings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LissaJo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:27 am

Lane Frost</3 wrote:So my boyfriend's cousin is selling her horse and my boyfriend is thinking about buying it. I don't want him to because he wants as something he can look out at and call pretty. Now I have had horses all my life and each one has a job and when they don't it's because they're older and retired. Now I feel there is no point in him getting it because the horse will have no purpose. Does anyone have an opinion on what I should tell him or if I should let him get it

if he just wants one to look at and call pretty, why not suggest that he maybe save a companion only type horse.. something maybe with an injury that cant be ridden? ultimately, it's his money.. if he can properly care for it, then he can do as he wishes

so yesterday I went to a one day training competition (5 trainers, 5 halter broke only horses, and 5 hours to show what they can do) - it was fun to watch except the trainer who got disqualified for abusing his horse (he was trying to lope it in a small roundpen.. I know a lot of well trained horses would have hesitated and had a hard time keeping balanced in it, let alone a 3 year old who had about 3 hours of training at this point).. he was whipping the horses hard - they told him to stop and then he was kicking the horse as hard as he could with spurs on.. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I think someone said something so he got off and tied the horses reins onto his saddle and forced his horse to stand there with its head down while he left to go do something :evil: :evil: :evil: then they had a rain delay and someone had been videoing him &
showed it to the event host/horse owner and judges (he was kind of in a corner, hard for the judges, the sponsors, and owner of the horse to see).. he was disqualified, told to leave, and the owner had to go over and doctor her side and mouth since she was bleeding

if he was willing to do all of that at a public venue, in front of a huge crowd, I can only imagine what his training tactics are like in his own barn! it was a really sweet little filly and if I had the extra money, I probably would have stayed for the auction and tried to bring her home with me
LissaJo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ξƞçɧαƞtєđ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:27 am

@Luzien: Nope, no second horse. Buck is just doing the jobs of two horses. lol

Mr. Willy right now is healing from a contusion to his front right fetlock, but he did recently turn 3 so I think he only has another year to wait before he starts carrying weight. Willow is already practicing with weighted packs and both are pretty good leading (at least for me XD). I cannot believe he's three already...I remember posting about him here when I first got him as a feral 5 month old. lol Geez does time fly. But once they are broke to ride, they'll mostly just be used for pony rides, some small kid lessons, and I should be able to rent their kid-carrying services through churches and their plays during holidays like Christmas and Easter.

@ryan ross.: A topic that continues to intrigue me how different horse care is internationally. It is amazing on how different horses are cared for in the US as compared to Iceland, Greenland, Russia, India, etc.. The biggest thing that surprised me is that horses in Iceland and such where forage is not all that plentiful- the horses are fed, for their main source of nutrients, fish instead of forage.
Horses in rocky areas are also more prone to need shoes then horses who live in relatively sandy or soft terrain.
Horses in other areas may need different types of vaccines as compared to horses who live in other parts of the globe.
There is really so much to this topic it would be incredibly easy to write a long research paper on it. :)

Pics:

Got a before and after gif for Mr. Buck- still can't believe how much he's changed.

Mr. Buck helping me study for one of my honors college classes XD (only had time to either ride or study...decided not to choose and just do both lol)

The photo that got Buck his fame and the meme it was paired with. lol
"тняσυgн αcтιση, α мαη вεcσмεs α нεяσ
тняσυgн dεαтн, α нεяσ вεcσмεs α ℓεgεηd
тняσυgн тιмε, α ℓεgεηd вεcσмεs α мүтн
αη∂ вү ℓεαяηιηg ғяσм тнε мүтн α мαη тαкεs αcтιση."
ξƞçɧαƞtєđ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tainted~Wings » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:36 am

@lissajo

I would prefer if he wants one to get a companion only horse or one with an injury. It really doesn't make sense to buy a green broke horse that has potential in jumping to sit and call pretty. If he wants to call a horse pretty he can go look at my 5 that I ride. But if he wants one of his own I'd prefer it not to be a horse that can be rode
Tainted~Wings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Brynmala » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:29 am

@tainted wings - a young and active horse is just going to become bored and difficult to handle if it is left as a field ornament. I appreciate that he's trying to help out his cousin by taking this specific one on, but that isn't a good reason to have a horse that will do nothing.

We have two horses - mine, Ollie, is a 26 year old chestnut 3/4 Hanovarian gelding. He's a soppy old thing, but like any warmblood has his moments of shear stupidity. He did dressage in his youth (jumping just isn't him), but now we just amble around the lanes and bridle paths... sometimes rather faster than I'd like! He's getting a bit arthritic now, but needs to keep moving or he'll seize up completely and he gets bored and unmanagable if he's doesn't go out for a couple of weeks.

My partner was given an Arab a couple of years ago (yes really, how kiddies pony book is that?!). Prophet is a 20 year old Old English bred chestnut sabino (minimal sabino, but not as minimal as Ollie, who is only just recognisable as sabino if you know what you are looking for). He's very much a one person horse, and I'm not his person... He had a green break in his leg as a foal so he has a lot of scarring and frequently looks not quite sound, but the vets say he's fine to ride.
Brynmala

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wolfiegirll » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:37 am

Hi! Today I’m going to this huge riding arena for a color guard tournament on Sunday. They are doing flags and barrel racing today. I’m pretty sure I will do flags but I don’t know about barrels. I’m not the most experienced rider which makes me worried I would do something wrong. Should I do this?
Hey! You can call me River or Wolfie!

Feel free to trade or pm anytime!!

ps. i need to redo my signature so just ignore it. I'm too lazy to do it rn lol
Wolfiegirll

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 am

Popping in to let people know I'm alive and my horses are alive, but our teacher was kinda sneaky mean and put deadlines of 3 fairly big assignments on the same week, which is next week and we had a fall holiday just this week... Plus I've been trying to work out 3 feeding plans, out of which one is for a friend and two are related to the assignments. So I've been bit caught up with all of those as of late. But I shall try eventually get to replies etc. what has been going on with my ponies. Sometime late next week the latest I hope, since I need to have the school stuff done Tuesday-Thursday the latest.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Popping in here to say hi there.

I've got 2 horses. An elderly retired gelding who I used to 3 day event on, and a 2 year old quarter horse who I am currently trying to learn how not to die on. I say that with only slight sarcasm as she took off with me yesterday and I fell rather hard when she ran us both into a barrel, knocking me right off the side. I'm a bit sore.

Today was a better day though, we (trainer and me) are working on reprogramming this runaway thing she's got going on into something a little more productive, and she didn't take off with me today. She did a couple of times for the trainer which is actually a good thing because she was able to do some more work with her.

Here is my baby, Spider. Prior to explosive runaway incident LOL.

And a very old photo of my gelding and myself prior to his retirement, this was his very last show before he started hurting in his legs.

Can't make out my face in either one, per CS rules.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ryukrem » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:22 am

I've been so MIA I'm making it my goal to be active on this thread. The discussion here are so amazing.

Baby girl has been going so well lately. She's uber chubbs from being on grass all summer and gets real peeved when I ask her to move her hind end, but regardless shes been very well behaved and this winter will be hardcore bootcamp in hopes to be ready to show first level next summer.

What are your "off-season"/winter goals?

ryukrem - lesbian - taken <3

prefer to roleplay off site. pm me.

roleplay search
ryukrem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:48 am

@ Hime
hope all your assignments did go well, and you and your horses are still well :D

@
ξƞçɧαƞtєđ wrote:@ryan ross.: A topic that continues to intrigue me how different horse care is internationally. It is amazing on how different horses are cared for in the US as compared to Iceland, Greenland, Russia, India, etc.. The biggest thing that surprised me is that horses in Iceland and such where forage is not all that plentiful- the horses are fed, for their main source of nutrients, fish instead of forage.
Horses in rocky areas are also more prone to need shoes then horses who live in relatively sandy or soft terrain.
Horses in other areas may need different types of vaccines as compared to horses who live in other parts of the globe.
There is really so much to this topic it would be incredibly easy to write a long research paper on it. :)
_____
Mr. Buck helping me study for one of my honors college classes XD (only had time to either ride or study...decided not to choose and just do both lol)

The photo that got Buck his fame and the meme it was paired with. lol

i really did think you got a secnd horse, but it is lovely that Buck has so much fun...he changed sooo much....love the pics...how he helps you study is great :D and the last one....soooo true and funny :lol:
awww Willy was hurt,poor thing, hope all heales well and he can do stiupid things again soon! ^^
Willow is a good girl :thumbup:
time goes really fat that is true, for all three! they id go a Long way and now Sound wonderful on the right way, and also what the two donkey could do in a year or two^^

to what you did write to ryan ross.: with the topic to different horse care internationally.
yes, this is really interesting and even changing....
in iceland they sometimes get dryed fish when the winter is bad and not enough mineral and such, but it was always as extra to hay, not alone feed^^, nowdays it is not as often with the fish, but some still give it now and then, it is told to not be a bed source to hay , now they often feed the horses with mineralsalt and hay when outside on winter pasture....but there are also other places, some dessert horses sometimes get dry meat or milk to there hay

to the rocky Areas, i think it will also depend on the breed of horses and what they are use for, there are some tekken breeder who say they ride there horses in rocky areas without shoes, but that sand can dry a hoof out to much a that the Need shoes to protect the hoof as sand cuts the hoof down with sime like sandpaper ..but also breed different...and even sometime even with horses from the same breed but diffferent areas.

but that with different types of vaccines as compared to horses who live in other parts of the globe, is so true, that is not easy for rider who travel a lot....
and how people Keep there horses is interesting too....in the moment there is a big at group/herd stalls with large padock and a pasture, or a paock trail who really sounds lovely, even when you only have an acre or half an acre. ^^ while other say it is alright to Keep there horse tyed up or all day in a stall...or stall with pasture-paddock time.... some have a stll that is closed up with small windows, other are airy and open with low walls or only pannels as wall-fence, also how big they are does change every now and then, also if a horse can intereact over the stall wall with other horses next to it or not or if they are closed up to the Roof..... and why People do this or that....
and Color, there are study to what Color is best in which area of the stable or what horses goes bether with what colored wall

it is great that you do think about this topic and maybe want to write a long research paper on it....could you write now and then something about this here too :?:

@
trico wrote:
      I've been so MIA I'm making it my goal to be active on this thread. The discussion here are so amazing.

Baby girl has been going so well lately. She's uber chubbs from being on grass all summer and gets real peeved when I ask her to move her hind end, but regardless shes been very well behaved and this winter will be hardcore bootcamp in hopes to be ready to show first level next summer.

What are your "off-season"/winter goals?

that is great^^ with some more training over the winter season you will get her ready till spring-summer, dont worry.
i did read that some do pulling/driving and forest or trail training in autumn-winter , so they dont do to much but still build good muscle and work on small problems they have...or do groundwork and brain work.
Did you alreay make a plan with your trainer?
hardcore bootcamp...Sounds like fun :lol: good luck and fun^^

to your question:
....i think..maybe find a horse to ride now and then...but still unsure as i often train horses to go my way, without knowing it, till to late...and i dont want that someone has a horse that only i can ride then^//^
Last edited by Luzien on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me