Meeting With a Stray Dog

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Are you a Wufi Fan

No, this is the first time I see this thread
38%
No, though I do like reading about her
No votes
Yes, she´s so cute!
63%

Total votes : 16

Re: Meeting With a Stray Dog

Postby animalobsessed1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:26 pm

OMG! I am so excited!
Wufi was once again being over-excited, when I suddenly remembered what Ferocious used to do. Ferocious was the dominant dog at the place where I got Lala, don´t ask why they named her that; I don´t understand those people either. Those dogs were pretty much feral dogs that were just simply used to human contact (even though they officially belonged to those people, they didn´t really do anything other than feed them). So by dominant, I mean dominant, and not insecure, defensive, and aggressive. (People often seem to mistake those dogs for being dominant. An example of that are dogs with Small Dog Syndrome.)
Whenever the one-year-olds got over-excited, she would take their muzzles in her mouth and push them down.
So when Wufi was acting over-excited today, I decided to try that. I grabbed her muzzle, making sure my arm came from on top of her, and not in front of or next to her (something I don´t usually do, as I don´t want to intimidate her by coming from the top). Instead of wrapping my fingers completely around her muzzle and holding it, which is what my dad always does to freak her out and make her even more nervous and excited, (because he´s an idiot who refuses to believe me that running around crazily and whining and peeing everywhere does not necessarily mean that she is happy,) I kept my fingers straight, imitating the bite. If Wufi had wanted to, she could have easily just walked away, I was just symbolically holding my hand in that position, without applying any pressure or trying to forcefully keep her there.
Instead of walking away, she lowered her head and tail, (the tail was lowered, not between her legs! And I´m telling you, Wufi is the kind of dog who will have her tail between her legs if she is even the tiniest bit fearfull of something.) and then started going down slowly, until she was eventually in a lying down position. When I removed my hand she got back up, but I immediately grabbed her muzzle again before she could start running wildly around the place again, and she slowly lay down again. When I removed my hand the second time, she stayed down, watching me alertly. (not fearfully!)
After that, when I got up, she continued calmly lying down and watching me. When I called her, she jumped down and trotted over to me (instead of racing up, failing to stop, and running past me the way she usually does :lol: ).
Later, after my dad had gotten her excited again, I tried it again, only this time, I didn´t came from on top. Instead, I came from the front and guess what... it didn´t work! She just completely ignored me! I pulled my hand back and tried again, coming from on top the way I had the first time, and it worked!
Now I´m wondering if this was just luck and is just something strange that Wufi does, or if it is actual dog communication. The thing is, I´ve never seen/heard any dog trainer mention anything like this before. One of the dog trainers (my favorite one, the one who got me started) that I went to with Lala did something like this (exept that he also did apply a bit of pressure to push them down) to teach the dogs to lie down on command, but he never mentioned anything about it being natural dog behavior. Then again, he didn't explain any of the other things he did either... He just told people what he was doing, then chose a dog to demonstrate it on, and people saw it work and decided he was right. He never said anything about why the dogs reacted the way he did. (Probably because most people there wouldn´t have been interested in that anyway, they only cared that it worked.)
If you think I seemed kind of defensive as I was explaining what I did, that´s because there are people out there who will call you cruel if you even touch a dog with your hand, unless it specifically comes to you and nudges you for attention. If you just randomly touch a dog, it is considered hitting, and therefore abusive. Have you ever seen one of those idiots? It´s sad, isn´t it?

Aaaand two weeks ago I went to the beach with her, and I managed to coax her to jump into the river that flows into the ocean. The next time we went to the beach, she just walked straight into the water, without even hesitating. In fact, she kind of seemed to feel safer in the water than on the sand. I think that is because of conditioning. When she was in the water, I paid special attention to keeping her calm, but when we were just walking on the beach, I wasn´t paying as much attention to her, and due to my carelessness, she kind of got into a bit of a scared state (not frantic though), and now it has just become a habit that she gets scared on the sand, and feels relaxed in the water. (Only the river though, I haven´t tried making her go into the actual ocean.)

She is also getting less naive. Today when I wanted to wash her, she actually realized what was going on when I got the towel and took off her collar. We lost the cat collar when we accidentally :lol: went swimming in the ocean (due to the changing tides 8-) ). Unlike before, she was not happily wagging her tail as I carried her into the bathroom.

And we also went to the vet again, but this time it was a different vet, and this one said she had fungus and mites! Then he just gave us some new ointment and nothing else... (we´re beginning to question if they even know what they are doing...)
At the vet I also saw a litter of adorable puppies lying around. There were seven of them and they didn´t even have their eyes open yet.

That is all. There will be no updates during Christmas times because

When we get back I might post one last update, and that will be it. She is now a perfectly normal house dog and there is nothing out of the ordinary to report.
Read my newest story, Ricekagure: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2416413
Collection City: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1889365&p=58661597#p58661597
Read my true story about a stray dog: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=797402&p=20143783#p20143783
And here´s my fictional rat story: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=889005&p=22810405#p22810405
I´m giving away free pets. Read my trade rules to find out the details.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Favorite Quotes:
♠ The world is round, it has no point. ♠
♠ Value the present moment, for it is all you will ever have. ♠
♠ Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness. ♠

I learned an awesome new word! Defeatism - I am a defeatist. :D
animalobsessed1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Wow, that's awesome! I'm so happy for you and Wufi!
I might try that on my dog, when he gets super hyper active.
You are taking her with you to Germany, right? (:
I hope she gets over her skin problems! Good luck with her :)
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby animalobsessed1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:21 pm

No, we´re not taking her with us. We´re going to put her with my friend´s dogs and have the same people look after Wufi that also look after her dogs.
We´re only going to Germany for a while, then we´re going to come back to Panama for another four months, so taking her on a two day flight on a plane would be rather pointless.
We´re still not sure what we´ll do with her after those four months, we don´t even know where we are going to go. I might get to stay in Germany, if I go to a boarding school, because my dad and brother want to go back to South Africa (which I hate!). If the boarding school in Germany doesn´t work out, I might be able to stay here in Panama with my friend, but either way, it´s not certain what will happen with Wufi.
Read my true story about a stray dog: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=797402&p=20143783#p20143783
And here´s my fictional rat story: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=889005&p=22810405#p22810405
ImageImage
ImageImage

Favorite Quotes:
♠ Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness. ♠

animalobsessed1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:22 am

Ah, I see. I thought you were moving there or somthing. :P
I hope you get to go where you want the most, and you can take Wufi with you! I'm sure the school would'nt mind and adorable little dog following you to classes? :D
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby animalobsessed1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:20 am

Except that she wouldn´t be following me. She´d be too busy running all over the place and tearing down the whole school! :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Favorite Quotes:

animalobsessed1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:13 am

Haha! :))
_

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me