πŸ•· Invertebrate Enthusiasts πŸ•·

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: πŸ•· Invertebrate Enthusiasts πŸ•·

Postby phoca » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi y'all. I was wondering if anyone here might know how to mount nudibranch eggs on a glass slide?? I couldn't find any thread about microscopy, so I figured I'd just post here. Should I use a well slide??
Also, Is it possible to use a glass slide as a coverslip? I've tried is before, and it sort of worked, but it was very difficult to focus. Any tips??
ImageImageImage
phoca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kaizoku » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:07 pm

lady of the lake wrote:Hi y'all. I was wondering if anyone here might know how to mount nudibranch eggs on a glass slide?? I couldn't find any thread about microscopy, so I figured I'd just post here. Should I use a well slide??
Also, Is it possible to use a glass slide as a coverslip? I've tried is before, and it sort of worked, but it was very difficult to focus. Any tips??

I'm not too experienced using well slides (I'm use to looking at/staining microorganisms), but have you tried using dyes? Something as simple as iodine might make it easier to view the eggs cell components. Immersion oil might also help, but that depends on what magnification you plan on using (usually used to help focus on cells at 100x).

I wouldn't recommend using another glass slide as a coverslip, as they're usually too thick and it's hard to focus the microscope with one of them on top. But if that's all you've got, you might as well try! It could be easier with dye!

Edit: I have no idea the size of these eggs so if my methods seem weird with their size, feel free to correct me. Cx
β™‘
β™‘

nix β™‘ he/him
gaming + anime
medical scientist
need help?
newbie guide & index
Kaizoku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby phoca » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 pm

Kaizoku wrote:
lady of the lake wrote:Hi y'all. I was wondering if anyone here might know how to mount nudibranch eggs on a glass slide?? I couldn't find any thread about microscopy, so I figured I'd just post here. Should I use a well slide??

I'm not too experienced using well slides (I'm use to looking at/staining microorganisms), but have you tried using dyes? Something as simple as iodine might make it easier to view the eggs cell components. Immersion oil might also help, but that depends on what magnification you plan on using (usually used to help focus on cells at 100x).

I wouldn't recommend using another glass slide as a coverslip, as they're usually too thick and it's hard to focus the microscope with one of them on top. But if that's all you've got, you might as well try! It could be easier with dye!

Edit: I have no idea the size of these eggs so if my methods seem weird with their size, feel free to correct me. Cx

Thank you so much! The eggs are very small, and suspended in ribbons of an albumen-like jelly, so these sound like good options. I'll try oil immersion!! Thanks again! <3
ImageImageImage
phoca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awts2003 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:29 pm

Nevermind
Last edited by awts2003 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awts2003

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spiderfish » Thu May 02, 2019 5:44 am

Does anyone here own/have owned an Orchid mantis? I've been wanting one for ages, and an LPS has finally got some in, so hoping they have one left when I go. But the internet is giving me lots of mixed advice about care :\

I have some plastic tanks that fit the min. enclosure size, but some sites says plastic are best, one says glass only, and others say mesh/screen tanks? I already have coir fibre on hand for my snails, so bedding isn't an issue. As for perches, would spider wood work?
And oh my god, what do I feed it? I thought they ate flies,but some sites are listing thinbe like crickets and locusts. One even says something about dipping them in honey.

Help please :/
-wip-
-wip-
-wip-
spiderfish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby phoca » Sat May 25, 2019 7:12 pm

Y'all I just got pet garden snails and I love them. they were in my grandmother's garden and she doesn't like them eating her lettuce, so now they are my babies!!! I keep them in a portable terrarium with soil, moss, and a shallow water dish. I LOVE MY SNAILS SO MUCH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I made them tiny party hats to wear for my friend's birthday. The pic is on my insta but my insta is private so whatevs if you want to follow me for the sole purpose of sick snail pics, go ahead :
LINK TO MY SNAIIIIIILS
You can unfollow me after but please look at my children i love them. (also i dont know how to put pictures into replies on forums such as this)

PRAISE GOD FOR SNAILSS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHH I LOVE THEM SKSHGHFHSK
ImageImageImage
phoca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emjayy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:58 am

I'm thinking of getting some jumping spiders. My new landlord said I could not bring my tarantula but.. she never mentioned spiders πŸ€”πŸ€ͺ

β™‘ roses, reasons, gay best friend.
β™‘ saoirse don phalaistΓ­n
β™‘ complete item collection - 29/12/19
β™‘ complete pet collection - 09/01/20
emjayy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bunny ! » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:07 pm

Im extremely sad that this forum is so small compared to the other ones, I love insects but esp stag + rhino/elephant beetles. id love to own an atlas beetle or a japanese rhino beetle one day but atm i own a stag beetle (dorcus ritsemae volscens) !
β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–°

[ lemon - he/they - bi & trans ]
i used to be lemonmime - sig credit
lio fotia is my boyfriend, and
Vehemoth Phosbat is our best friend !

β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–° β–°
bunny !

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Star_Bun » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi everyone, I know this is for invertebrate lovers and I am definitely NOT but I need your guys help. Does anyone know like, spider body language? There is a very scary about 1-1 1/2 maybe 2 inch dark brown/black spider that appeared in my bathroom(it has now made its way elsewhere in the house who knows) and itd run around for a second but then stop, lift it’s abdomen and shake it then run around again. It’s legs are thin so it’s not a jumping spider (cause they usually have thick legs right?) and it did this movement while on the wall and while on the floor. It’s a longish spider too, not round like a widow but not super long like some get. Anyways, thank you for any info???? I know this was a bit over the place but it’s late and The arachnophobe in me and clouding my brain at the thought of it hiding in my sons toys rn qwq
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆ
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ

Hi ! I'm star_bun, but call me star < 3
I'm always open to PM's and making
new friends !
avi and signature art by
nervousdog

Star_Bun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hapalopus » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:36 am

It was probably webbing! It looks like they're shaking their butt around when they lay down webs. In the tarantula hobby it's often called a 'happy dance' because they tend to do this right before eating and they look happy and kinda cute when they do it. It looks like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1ePzmQIrNs

It might also have been its heart beating, depending on how delicate the butt-shaking was. You can see what that looks like in this video at the 3:25 mark, and more closely at 3:38 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx_SUQIsugs

| INFP-T | 4w5 | phlegmatic |
| yak dæmon | asatru | pan lesbian |
| ben 10 fictionkind | bison therian | gnollkind |
| genderfluid | xenogender | he/she |

photo taken by me
hapalopus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups