Goats

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: goats

Postby GoatLover20 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:44 am

Hey Mouse~!
So any kids yet? If so is it okay and healthy? I'd love chatting about goats Any time! Also since it seems you're having some problems with goats that are related breeding, I'd suggest either putting the bucks in another pen or whethering any bucks you won't be using for breeding. :) I know you don't have other bigger animals yet, But our bucks spend the spring/summer with our cows and sheep outside and are fine together. Haha So yeah, I can talk about goats forever.... Like I am seriously obsessed with goats.
GoatLover20

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .:FarmGirlAtHeart:. » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:47 am

Hello everyone! The kids are doing great!
I was wondering how you trim the hooves of little wild, bouncy, excited baby goats?

Also! The babies got their first collars! Right now they are just little break away cat collars.
Chloe
Orion
Faylinn

Everyday, it's getting closer...

Going faster than a roller coaster...
.:FarmGirlAtHeart:.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:11 am

I think the best way would be as you do sheep? Grab them, flip them onto their back, against your stomach (sitting/kneeling down is a good idea) and then use trimmers?
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .:FarmGirlAtHeart:. » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:11 am

Well, I got the baby hooves trimmed, and now I have a question about the mama goats.
The girls eat their grain way to fast, and they also tend to kick a lot during milking. Anything I can do?

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby monarch-ee » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:31 pm

Ahh, I've always wanted a goat!! I first fell in love with goats when I visited a petting zoo and saw the goats. They're so cute!
monarch-ee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scuttlefish » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:46 am

I'm sure you all would love to share your knowledge about goats....(I hope you do! :) I'm trying to learn a bit about keeping every animal. So then there was a goat thread...so why not? So...how does one take care of a goat? How much space do they need? Can you walk a goat? How docile are they? What do they eat? Do they usually have twins?
Mouse~ What happened with Jesse? I hope the kid came out well.
I used to be sugar pixel .

Microllama Adoption Center

scuttlefish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .:FarmGirlAtHeart:. » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:06 am

Aruni4 wrote:I'm sure you all would love to share your knowledge about goats....(I hope you do! :) I'm trying to learn a bit about keeping every animal. So then there was a goat thread...so why not? So...how does one take care of a goat? How much space do they need? Can you walk a goat? How docile are they? What do they eat? Do they usually have twins?

To care for a goat, you need to do the normal, feed, water, clean. There are also some other things, like trimming their hooves, brushing, milking, and just spending time with them. When they are young, I spend no less then three hours with them everyday. You may need to band your buckling if you want a wether. You also need to debud the babies. I don't bottle raise, but if you do, you will need to feed the babies quite often. Goats need a companion goat, or they can be very stressed and unhappy.
A goat should, at the very least, have 5 squared feet per animal. They really should have much, much more. My barn is at least 50'x35', probably more, and they have an acre outside to run around and play in. We are planning on expanding their area either this summer, or next summer.
You can walk a goat! It takes a bit of training, but soon enough, your goat will know that you are the leader, and will walk perfectly.
To humans, the worst my goats have ever done is accidentally kick me when I train them to milk. To the other goats, they are fairly docile, but as every animal, they all have their own 'pecking' order. They do fight a little, but as long as you dehorn them, the fights shouldn't get too bad.
Goats need water and hay. The does get alfalfa hay, grass hay, water, treats, and grain. My buck gets grass hay, water, and very little treats. Kids need milk.
Twins and triplets are the most common for goats to have, although they can have 1-5 kids.
All this information is based on what I have been told, and what I do. I saved me goats from a butcher last 4th of July, and they kidded on Earth Day and May Day. Everyone is healthy and happy. The care of goats will vary from goat to goat, as bucks, kids, does, and even every different goat needs different care.If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:59 am

.:FarmGirlAtHeart:. wrote:
Aruni4 wrote:I'm sure you all would love to share your knowledge about goats....(I hope you do! :) I'm trying to learn a bit about keeping every animal. So then there was a goat thread...so why not? So...how does one take care of a goat? How much space do they need? Can you walk a goat? How docile are they? What do they eat? Do they usually have twins?

Twins and triplets are the most common for goats to have, although they can have 1-5 kids.

We've actually had a Nubian had 6 kids before, and a mini Nubian my sister sold later had 6 kids too. Though it's pretty rare, but yeah twins and triplets are the most common, unless it's Nigerian dwarves then normally triplets or quads. Twins for a first fresher. Singles of course still happen though, just not as common in that breed.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mods: My nieces are Kaylee197 and Rosie197. We sometimes share an IP.
The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Byrdee ★ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:26 am

wow! wish i would've found this thread sooner. i will admit, i am obsessed with goats, and i'm glad there is a place to chat about them! i have been looking into getting a pygmy goat. well, two that is, considering they are herd animals. is there any tips i should know about first time goat owning? and also, what is the best pair of goats? two does? two wethers? i'd just like to know ouo
╔═════════════════════╗

xxshe / herxx

╚═════════════════════╝
Byrdee ★

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:23 am

Panthera. wrote:wow! wish i would've found this thread sooner. i will admit, i am obsessed with goats, and i'm glad there is a place to chat about them! i have been looking into getting a pygmy goat. well, two that is, considering they are herd animals. is there any tips i should know about first time goat owning? and also, what is the best pair of goats? two does? two wethers? i'd just like to know ouo

Depending on where you live, you may need a holding license, and you'll definitely need loads of room.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me