Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
4%
Pigeons
15%
Bantams
18%
Other
8%

Total votes : 473

Re: Poultry Lovers -- Chat Thread/Club

Postby spaceferrari » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:55 am

ash. wrote:I have a question. Does anybody know what these would all look like?

Silkie x Mille Fleur Duccle
Silkie x Silver Laced Sebright
White Silkie x Buff Silkie

Anybody? I'm just curious because I'm thinking about breeding my chickens together to see what I get xD

I found a couple that may be close to what you might get:

Silkie/Mille Fleur Belgian D'Uccle

Silkie/Silver Sebright

I didn't find any specific white/buff silkie crosses, but I imagine they would be either color or simply a very light tan.
Perhaps close to this?
breonna taylor.
spaceferrari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm

That will make for a pretty bird! Id buy one!. My moms silkie/ameraucana looked like that but with brown instead of white.
Birthday: July 13 | Anniversary: September 18
Welcoming our daughter 1/7/19 ❤
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CrazyChickenDude » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:39 am

I'm back, after a long week or two of being grounded! I sadly had to cull Tom the Light Brahma two days ago. He was breathing hard and didn't want to sit up and eat anymore. (FYI, if anyone out there ever is in the terrible position of having to cull a suffering bird quick and doesn't want fuss/mess, I really do suggest you research the broomstick method- it was the quickest, easiest way for both me and Tom). R.I.P. Tommy!

So now onto a happy subject- is there ANYONE else out there who loves gamefowl? Orientals, American, basically just gamey birds in general? I just love the look of the Oriental birds, especially the Shamo and Malays but also Thai, and of course Madagascar Gamefowl.

Here are some pics of some birds owned by the guy I am probably going to buy my first pair of Ko Shamo from. (Since I doubt many of you know much about oriental gamefowl since they are so rare, a "Ko" Shamo is basically a bantam Shamo)

These are some Wheaten Ko.

Last edited by CrazyChickenDude on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓I like chickens🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓
CrazyChickenDude

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CaptainStumpy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Chickens!!
I love them :D

I breed Rare colours of Pekin and Cochin :) The Top Picture are of my Porcelain Pekin's, then Buff-Columbian Frizzled Pekin + 5 MIllefleur 1 Porcelain Pekin Chicks (some chicks also frizzled) Lastly my Mauve Cochin (with her Millefleur Pekin housemates)
CaptainStumpy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:57 pm

I think im gonna get me a tolburn polish cockerel. I LOVE the look and there is a lady that has a couple for.sale, 2 smooth and a frizzle, but im really picky about frizzles, some look really nice, others just look like they are unkempt *shrug*. I think ill ask if she has any hens or pullets available, id love to breed them
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:46 am

That is something I would love to have is a Polish rooster of any kind. Will have to wait for a while though. I don't have the resources to keep more than one rooster and Peedles is hopefully going to be with us for a long time.
Particularly, I'd love a light colored one, wheaten if that's one of the colors they come in. And I shall name him Bowie. ^_^

Speaking of roosters, I have the sinking feeling that BOTH of the EE "pullets" I kept out of the 5 we got in our order from Cacklehatchery the beginning of the month are roosters. I am going to cry! Seriously I'm so frustrated over trying to get an EE hen I'm really almost in tears here. I keep looking at that video on Cackle's website of those hundreds of gorgeous little EE hens and think "I only want one! Why is that so hard?!"

And I can guarantee the little white one with the severe crossbeak that died the day after we got them was a true pullet. And the 2 I gave my aunt are definitely pullets as well. That's just how my luck goes.

We hatch six eggs. I keep 5, give my aunt one. Hers is a pullet, mine are ALL ROOSTERS! I get 15 sexed pullets from Cackle, keep 3 EE's, one dies, the other 2 are roosters. My aunts will be 2 pullets again. :cry:
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:44 am

Did you contact cackle? I haven't dealt with them but i got to think that if you ordered sexed pullets and got 2 roosters, they would at least reimburse you for the 2 chicks, as well as for the scissorbeak that died as a chick.

how old are they? Im pretty good at sexing EEs. If you post pictures, i could try and help you figure out if they are roos or pullets. I would need photos of the comb and a shot of the chick from the side (profile) I have bad luck there too. My first batch of "straight run" EE turned out to be 2 pullets, 5 roos. My "mystery chick" from murray mcmurray is an EE roo. Sigh
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fjäll Räven » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:14 am

My mother just agreed to let me and CrazyChickenLady hatch a dozen show cochin eggs!
Oh I can't wait! ^^
Hoarding:
Fjäll Räven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Onew~ » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:46 am

So...

I got my new rooster a couple months ago.

He doesnt associate himself with the hens. Dunno if he even breeds them. In fact sometimes he might even avoid the hens or be afraid of them. Instead of leading, herding, or protecting the hens, the most he does is follow them.
Onew~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:01 am

Onew~ wrote:So...

I got my new rooster a couple months ago.

He doesnt associate himself with the hens. Dunno if he even breeds them. In fact sometimes he might even avoid the hens or be afraid of them. Instead of leading, herding, or protecting the hens, the most he does is follow them.

How old is he? He might just be inexperienced yet. My rooster is that way. He's a few weeks younger than the oldest hens. (all range in age from three to five months or so.) The Buff Orpington will bump into him and turn and run. He'll chase after her for a bit and then just kind of stop and wander off. And she'll have stopped and be squatting there looking back at him like "Hey! Where did ya go?!!" "I'm ready for you!" He's just not quite mature enough yet to figure it out.

MaineiacJay wrote:Did you contact cackle? I haven't dealt with them but i got to think that if you ordered sexed pullets and got 2 roosters, they would at least reimburse you for the 2 chicks, as well as for the scissorbeak that died as a chick.

how old are they? Im pretty good at sexing EEs. If you post pictures, i could try and help you figure out if they are roos or pullets. I would need photos of the comb and a shot of the chick from the side (profile) I have bad luck there too. My first batch of "straight run" EE turned out to be 2 pullets, 5 roos. My "mystery chick" from murray mcmurray is an EE roo. Sigh

Nah I didn't bother contacting Cackle for the pullets. They do guarantee 90% accuracy like pretty much everybody else. I'll have to wait on that till I see how all fifteen of them turn out. By the time they're two months or so I'll know for sure and cross that bridge then. I will post up some pics though when I have a few minutes of peace that I can get some good pics taken and get them online though just so you can see them.

As for the little crossbeaked EE, they did send an extra Speckled Sussex along to cover in case any of them would die on the way. They also, however, DO have a policy to guarantee all chicks will be free of any obvious defects noticable upon hatching. Now, yes, her beak was severely severely crossed, and she also only had one eye. To the point I didn't feel she'd have any decent quality of life. I considered calling Cackle right away about her. But then decided not to bother. I did end up with fifteen chicks total which was what I ordered, though only four were EE's with the fifth being the messed up little crossbeak. They would have happily reimbursed me with credit towards another order because of her obviously being messed up upon hatching. I'm sure somebody just missed it in the sorting. I understand that mistakes do happen and we are all human. But I figured it wasn't even worth the effort over a $2 chick. And by the time I place another order some time next year my silly self will have probably forgotten about it anyway.
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me