LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby catcher. » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:20 pm

Hello there rabbit lovers
I'm interested in getting a rabbit, but I know hardly anything about them, so whats a better place to ask on CS then a topic with experienced rabbit owners?
So here are some things I want/need to know

What kind of cage do they need?
What kind of food do they need/like
How much do they generally cost per month and/or year
How often do you need to take them to a vet, when you do how much does it cost
How hard is it to care for a rabbit/How do you care for a rabbit
How do you pick out a rabbit? (I was planning on using pet finder but I want to what to look for in a rabbit)
How many other rabbits should they be kept with?

I am a complete newbie to rabbit owning unfortunately :?

FYI- I will not even bring it up to my parents for a year or so that I want a bunny, I want to know a lot about them first. I'd probably be the sole owner and pay for everything.
Thank you in advance
Hey sorry I haven't been on. Busy lately, I don't use my computer much anymore anyways
catcher.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sleipnir » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:14 am

GreenWolf wrote:Hello there rabbit lovers
I'm interested in getting a rabbit, but I know hardly anything about them, so whats a better place to ask on CS then a topic with experienced rabbit owners?
So here are some things I want/need to know

What kind of cage do they need?
Cage will depend solely on the size of rabbit. For my 10 lb rabbits I have a 24x24 inch cage with plenty of head room. A dwarf will need a lot less room.

What kind of food do they need/like
A GOOD pellet will do very well, though some are expensive. I use Heinhold feed. Adding herbs like sage, oregano, clover, ect. Are good too, same with carrot TOPS. Rabbits don't actually dog up carrot roots, which are pretty much sugary starch bombs because, well - that's what roots are for, especially on carrots. A little bit is okay, but it should be considered a sugary treat, as should any root stock. Apples and other fruit are delicious treats too. For more on diet I'd suggest looking up the page by the House Rabbit Society.

How much do they generally cost per month and/or year
I have a Rabbitry so I can't help you here.

How often do you need to take them to a vet, when you do how much does it cost
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm fairly good at treating rabbits at home. They generally don't get sick, but a check-up regularly might be a good idea if you can find a good rabbit vet.[/i]

How hard is it to care for a rabbit/How do you care for a rabbit
How do you pick out a rabbit? (I was planning on using pet finder but I want to what to look for in a rabbit)
[b]Here's where the fun starts! Choosing bunnies, you might consider looking at the ARBA breeds. Check with owners if different breeds and get a feel for their general temperaments. If you want a small, easy to handle "forever"-bunny you might look at Netherland dwarfs, since they have round heads and tiny ears. A Britannia Petite, also a small, elegant breed, however, might like biting. A Flemish Giant will generally be pretty laid back, a Checker might be high-strung, a Rhinelander will be curious and, watch out, nibbly.
Care also depends on the breed and conditions. A wire cage needs a resting pad so your rabbit won't get sore feet. A running breed will wanna get out and exercise, and also make very good show jumpers! They have a national club now. A white rabbit - ESPECIALLY a buck - will require a little extra care in that he will need urine stain remover sometimes. Aside from feeding and watering, when you get your rabbit out, you might want to make a habit of occasionally checking ears for mites and teeth for alignment.
Aside from that, they are fairly low maintenance. If you have them out, watch those wires, though.

How many other rabbits should they be kept with?
Unless you have a bonded pair, it might be dangerous to keep rabbits together. Bucks will often fight with each other, does can be very territorial, and un spayed/neutered rabbits will end up killing each other. If you want to keep more than one together I'd suggest looking at a pair who are already bonded.

I am a complete newbie to rabbit owning unfortunately :?

FYI- I will not even bring it up to my parents for a year or so that I want a bunny, I want to know a lot about them first. I'd probably be the sole owner and pay for everything.
Thank you in advance

One more tip: when looking at rabbits, I'd suggest going to a rescue or a breeder for a mismarked or pet quality animal. That way you can have more confidence in the bunny's health. Pet store rabbits sometimes not even eight weeks old. Some come from breeders, so if you have to go to a store you ought to see if you can find the manager or someone who would know where those bunnies came from.
Sleipnir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby catcher. » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:19 am

Okay thank you :)

Edit~ I think a netherland dwarf sounds like a rabbit I would like, but I'm going to try to learn about them more first to make sure.
Hey sorry I haven't been on. Busy lately, I don't use my computer much anymore anyways
catcher.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:28 am

GreenWolf wrote:Okay thank you :)

Edit~ I think a netherland dwarf sounds like a rabbit I would like, but I'm going to try to learn about them more first to make sure.

Neatherland are nice but can be very uptight sometimes due too there size, not all are bad
I've met some super sweet ones ^^ if your looking for small try researching holland lops or Dutch, mini Rex are really sweet too and they have a unique coat (sooo plush). Do some more research I originally wanted a neatherland dwarf but after some research I found Hollands were a better match.

Also the show yesterday went very well I got BOV and BOSV so rocket has a leg now.
Also one of the judges was vice pres of the holland lop specialty club and she ask me and another kid to help judge and teach us how to judge and chose the winning Hollands, that was really fun XD I picked the one I would chose to when and that was the one she chose for 2nd and the one she chose for first was a rabbit I had sold.
"I love rabbits, cavies, goats, horses, steer, swine, poultry, dogs and cats"

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:45 am

If you don't mind size, I recommend a Giant Chinchilla. (The top weight is 16lbs, but they are commonly 14lbs)
I have never met a mean Giant Chin, they are mellow, sweet, good natured, loving, and very friendly. They love to give kisses and snuggle. I have both Flemish Giants and Giant Chins, and in terms of a good loving pet, I would say Giant Chins over Flemish. (they are also easier to handle since they aren't as big as a Flemish.)
I think Dutch are perfect though when it comes to smaller breeds. And medium/small breeds, Mini Lops.
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sleipnir » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:40 am

Mini Satins are pretty nice too. I only have two but one has her coat coming in and it's the first time I've ever felt satin fur <333 She lives being pet, which rocks since I like petting her!
Sleipnir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:56 am

I forgot to suggest harlequins or jersey woolies my rabbit leader breeds jerseys and they are super sweet,
And I've got a harli and she is the sweetest darn thing ever!

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lee-Sins » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:26 am

Calling all bunny owners; I need you!

I am in need for a bit of help/advice, truth be told I have never owned a rabbit my entire life so maybe a bit more information needed. Even with that said I know they are fairly low maintenance and you check their teeth for alignment as well as ears for mites. I am afraid I don't know much else beyond that I don't even know the type of pellet to feed them. I was recently given two does, both have been together their entire lives this far and have had absolutely no problems. One is a creamy color with brown patches/freckles large ears. The other is a seal grey hue with large ears. Both are.. gigantic. Biggest rabbits I have ever seen and I have no idea what species they maybe (that or the old owner told me and I just forgot). Anyways I should be receiving them later on today/tomorrow and I'll take pictures of them with their hutch that I need to do a minor amount of work on. Though they are both very friendly and playful which makes it a bonus.

I basically need pointers for raising rabbits. What sort of pellet would you recommend? Treats? How to bathe them? Is there anything I can do to make them feel more comfortable? Anything else you feel I need to know?
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
quitting cs
liquidating account for art
trading bulk low lists/rare/very rare up

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Lee-Sins

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:40 am

wynter. wrote:
Calling all bunny owners; I need you!

I am in need for a bit of help/advice, truth be told I have never owned a rabbit my entire life so maybe a bit more information needed. Even with that said I know they are fairly low maintenance and you check their teeth for alignment as well as ears for mites. I am afraid I don't know much else beyond that I don't even know the type of pellet to feed them. I was recently given two does, both have been together their entire lives this far and have had absolutely no problems. One is a creamy color with brown patches/freckles large ears. The other is a seal grey hue with large ears. Both are.. gigantic. Biggest rabbits I have ever seen and I have no idea what species they maybe (that or the old owner told me and I just forgot). Anyways I should be receiving them later on today/tomorrow and I'll take pictures of them with their hutch that I need to do a minor amount of work on. Though they are both very friendly and playful which makes it a bonus.

I basically need pointers for raising rabbits. What sort of pellet would you recommend? Treats? How to bathe them? Is there anything I can do to make them feel more comfortable? Anything else you feel I need to know?

they are very easy and inexpensive pets. ONLY FEED THEM green timothy pellets anything you would normaly get at petco or petsmart has a bunch of unneeded stuff for your buns. You should clean their vents (down in there private area) every month with a qtip and mineral oil cut there nails at that same time two (with cat nail clippers they work best) DONT free feed them it will lead to weight issues if they are huge feed them a 1/2 a cup or more and timothy hay everyday hay is the best thing to give your rabbit!
Other than that you can buy toys and treats (carrots,apples etc) just no iceberg lettuce and have fun brushing and holding and just loveing on your buns XD oh and NEVER BATH THEM only if they are so dirty they cant even clean themselves.
hope this helps and have fun with your bunnies!

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby catcher. » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:28 pm

So I've been looking at bunny cages and stuff when I found out people use puppy pens, here are some questions
What should the flooring be? I've heard they slip on plastic
How high do the walls need to be?
How easy is it for the bunny to escape? (I have a jack russell terrier, a bunny on the loose is NOT good!)
What should the dimensions be? Is rectangle better than square?

Note I'll probably keep the bunny in my room with the door shut tight so the dog wont disturb him/her, I will make sure to inform family members to be VERY careful about this and to make sure Tally (my dog) wont door dash into the room, that is if I do get a bunny
catcher.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me