Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby amsie » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:31 am

im still a teenager, but im the one sorting out the tanks and whatever because
      (if you have seen my earlier posts) my mom is clueless as to what she is doing
      with fish.
      retail-tanks are impossible to get large enough (about 60-100 quid for a 3gal)
      for my fish, let alone my moms two black moores that are in the 15l. and so
      considering everyone is only getting the retail tanks, second-hand tanks are
      just as small, just a little cheaper and dinged up a bit.

so, any online sources where i could get a 5gal tank / 10 gal tank / 30-40 gal
      tank? i really want to start a nano aquarium as a tester (5 gal), need to get
      the danio a new tank (10gal) and move my moms moors into a 30-40gal.
amsie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _Human_ » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:45 am

amsie wrote:
      im still a teenager, but im the one sorting out the tanks and whatever because
      (if you have seen my earlier posts) my mom is clueless as to what she is doing
      with fish.
      retail-tanks are impossible to get large enough (about 60-100 quid for a 3gal)
      for my fish, let alone my moms two black moores that are in the 15l. and so
      considering everyone is only getting the retail tanks, second-hand tanks are
      just as small, just a little cheaper and dinged up a bit.

so, any online sources where i could get a 5gal tank / 10 gal tank / 30-40 gal
      tank? i really want to start a nano aquarium as a tester (5 gal), need to get
      the danio a new tank (10gal) and move my moms moors into a 30-40gal.

Have you tried maybe amazon? It will take some time for the tanks to get in but a lot of the time their products are a little cheaper than buying in store.
_Human_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amsie » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:01 am

^^
      amazon.co.uk doesn't really sell aquariums. for example, if you look up
      "aquarium"/"tank"/"15 gallon..."/etc. it's all fish-related supplies, like
      water filters, filter media, etc. rather than tanks.
      i've noticed by going onto amazon.com, you'll find loads of really cheap
      aquariums, but that just isn't the case over here. and i even found this
      insanely cheap 10 gallon for $30, but $102 shipping.
amsie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _Human_ » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:14 am

Dang I’m sorry v_v
_Human_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoMoYA » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:49 am

Topsy Turvey wrote:Does anyone know of any really low light plants?
I have a few Mystery snails and guppies in my new 10 Gal but the tank is in a very low light spot in the living room and my dad doesn't want to get a florescent light for it because he's worried that it'd use too much power for our batteries, especially combined with the filter.

I currently have Java Moss and am working on buying some Java Fern but I'd love some other ideas for plants that can handle really low light? I've found that duckweed has handled low light pretty well so I might put some of that in there but other than those three I'm at a loss for what else I could add! c':

I had a Hornwort plant for a while with pretty low light and it seemed to do fine. Maybe try them ~ the guppies actually really enjoy it too <3
。⋆🎀⋆。
🪦🕊️
。⋆🎀⋆。
˚ ◌༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥ ˚ ◌༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥ ˚ ◌༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥ
Art Fight ♡ Thoma irl

MoMoYA

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoMoYA » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:51 am

Keighan. wrote:I know. tadpoles and fish are not related. But i know some people raise tadpoles with fish so i wanted to ask.

i got a few tadpoles, but my cat somehow got a hold of one, and like bit his tail off. he's having a hard time swimming now, and I put him in a small shallow tank, alone. but like. is he going to be okay?? i love him so much ssksk.

He should be fine. I kept tadpoles for a while, and one of mine was picked up and broke/kinked his tail. For a while he wasn’t happy, having trouble, and then he kind of adjusted. He finished just fine, and became a wee frogger <33 I think he’ll be okay
。⋆🎀⋆。
🪦🕊️
。⋆🎀⋆。
Art Fight ♡ Thoma irl

MoMoYA

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoMoYA » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:56 am

Angelus Gaston wrote:

Just got given a 48lt tank by my sister, it has the filter ( going to re-cycle it to be shore ) and I'm planing on getting a heater so I can finally get my Betta. Just wondering what other fish I can get I was looking at fish like Mollies and platties but I'm open for other ideas for a small community tank.

I'm not use to tanks, my mum and dad kept fish but that's a while ago and I've only kept a goldfish pond ( which I'm hoping to set back up with a raised pond come warmer weather) so it's all new to me.

What gender of betta were you planning to get? If you were to get a male, the only other thing you could really have would be maybe snails and shrimp, loaches, or multiple female bettas. I’m the case of a female, essentially anything goes. They can be housed with guppies, shrimp, snails, loaches, mollies, platy fish, other females, etc. Although neither of them can be housed with goldfish; I wouldn’t recommend housing goldfish with anything else except maybe snails.
。⋆🎀⋆。
🪦🕊️
。⋆🎀⋆。
Art Fight ♡ Thoma irl

MoMoYA

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:03 pm

Direwolf_1411225 wrote:
Angelus Gaston wrote:

Just got given a 48lt tank by my sister, it has the filter ( going to re-cycle it to be shore ) and I'm planing on getting a heater so I can finally get my Betta. Just wondering what other fish I can get I was looking at fish like Mollies and platties but I'm open for other ideas for a small community tank.

I'm not use to tanks, my mum and dad kept fish but that's a while ago and I've only kept a goldfish pond ( which I'm hoping to set back up with a raised pond come warmer weather) so it's all new to me.

What gender of betta were you planning to get? If you were to get a male, the only other thing you could really have would be maybe snails and shrimp, loaches, or multiple female bettas. I’m the case of a female, essentially anything goes. They can be housed with guppies, shrimp, snails, loaches, mollies, platy fish, other females, etc. Although neither of them can be housed with goldfish; I wouldn’t recommend housing goldfish with anything else except maybe snails.

You can house other fish with a male betta ( wouldn't recommend females as they can still fight to the death).

I'm not getting a gold fish for the tank as it's to small ( I only house gold fish in a pond as I don't have a large enough tank ). I'm planning on getting some mollies and a few other schooling fish the betta can't eat ( to match my sunk ship theme)

I have done a ton of research on what can be kept in a betta tank and the lads in the fish department will tell me if I can't.
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:00 am

amsie wrote:
      honestly in love with those mini 5gal nanoaquariums. first and foremost,
      need to get my danio into a 10gal so i can get him a school since he
      killed his last one.

anyone know of any budget-friendly 5/10gals that i can get in the uk?
      dollar per gallon seems absolutely wonderful but just isn't the case
      here in england.

c: If you don't need a lid we found some really cheap ones here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CROCI-Wave-Zen ... t-supplies or here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobby-Goldy-Aq ... ies&sr=1-7
If you don't have any other animals that will try to get in you can use a sheet of plastic as a lid to stop anything jumping and reduce evaporation: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=aquarium+c ... _sb_noss_1
Or a 29 litre here with a lid, led and filter: https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aqua ... itre-tank/
You could also try somewhere like Pets at Home or Maidenhead Aquatics, the one near us often had ex-display tanks for cheap.
Or if you just need a super cheap box of water to store fish in you can use plastic storage containers, just make sure they're food safe ones c:
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amsie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 am

Lonin wrote:
amsie wrote:
      honestly in love with those mini 5gal nanoaquariums. first and foremost,
      need to get my danio into a 10gal so i can get him a school since he
      killed his last one.

anyone know of any budget-friendly 5/10gals that i can get in the uk?
      dollar per gallon seems absolutely wonderful but just isn't the case
      here in england.

c: If you don't need a lid we found some really cheap ones here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CROCI-Wave-Zen ... t-supplies or here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobby-Goldy-Aq ... ies&sr=1-7
If you don't have any other animals that will try to get in you can use a sheet of plastic as a lid to stop anything jumping and reduce evaporation: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=aquarium+c ... _sb_noss_1
Or a 29 litre here with a lid, led and filter: https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aqua ... itre-tank/
You could also try somewhere like Pets at Home or Maidenhead Aquatics, the one near us often had ex-display tanks for cheap.
Or if you just need a super cheap box of water to store fish in you can use plastic storage containers, just make sure they're food safe ones c:

thanks so much! also, how do i know the sizing of the tank in terms of gallons/litres?
      like how do i convert 35cmx28cm to gallons? i've looked for some online converters
      because my maths is atrocious but couldn't find any, which has put me off of some
      tanks.
amsie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me