Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby eff » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:07 am

anyone know of any fairly cheap 30 gallon tanks? ideally for two moors.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby marshsiren » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:27 am

Topsy Turvey wrote:Does anyone know of any really low light plants?
I have a few Mystery snails and guppies in my new 10 Gal but the tank is in a very low light spot in the living room and my dad doesn't want to get a florescent light for it because he's worried that it'd use too much power for our batteries, especially combined with the filter.

I currently have Java Moss and am working on buying some Java Fern but I'd love some other ideas for plants that can handle really low light? I've found that duckweed has handled low light pretty well so I might put some of that in there but other than those three I'm at a loss for what else I could add! c':

I have had success with Brazilian pennywort, crypt wendtti, Cryptocoryne Usteriana,red lugwigia,. My personal favorite is Micro Crypt. If you have a local fishstore they should be able to direct you to some low light plants and there're usually cheaper and healthier.

hyde wrote:
      anyone know of any fairly cheap 30 gallon tanks? ideally for two moors.

If you can wait petco often has that 1$ per gallon sale. If you need the tank quick Craigslist/let go/garage sales/facebook and other websites like that often have cheap tanks in need of a clean.
marshsiren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paleosuchus » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:52 am

Sorry if this is a grim post, but I think I have done something wrong?
I mentioned before that my fish was suffering from fin rot. I bought some "betta fix" medication from petsmart, and medicated him like the package said. It said to do it for 7 days. Today was the 8th day and his fin rot was getting much much worse, so I decided to clean out his tank completely. I put him in a cup like I usually do when I do tank changes or extreme water changes. I used really hot water to clean out his tank, as well as all his plastic plants and hides. I also changed one of the filter pads but kept one the same and rinsed it. I put in the dechlorinater and waited about 30 minutes. I put him in his new tank and he immediately hid, which I figured is normal. I went to check on him after an hour and I didn't see him in any of his usual hides, and I ended up finding him with his fins stuck in the filter!! I gently plucked him out of the filter and he immediately sunk to the bottom. I see his gills moving, but otherwise he is just laying in one spot. He's usually very active so this isn't normal for him. Is there anything I can do?
Selene . they/them
aries . adult
Hoarding the Halloween’22 gummy snakes!
Stay foolish to Stay sane

Pet's name: Gumsworth, Lord of the Gumlings
credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby marshsiren » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:53 pm

honeybears wrote:Sorry if this is a grim post, but I think I have done something wrong?
I mentioned before that my fish was suffering from fin rot. I bought some "betta fix" medication from petsmart, and medicated him like the package said. It said to do it for 7 days. Today was the 8th day and his fin rot was getting much much worse, so I decided to clean out his tank completely. I put him in a cup like I usually do when I do tank changes or extreme water changes. I used really hot water to clean out his tank, as well as all his plastic plants and hides. I also changed one of the filter pads but kept one the same and rinsed it. I put in the dechlorinater and waited about 30 minutes. I put him in his new tank and he immediately hid, which I figured is normal. I went to check on him after an hour and I didn't see him in any of his usual hides, and I ended up finding him with his fins stuck in the filter!! I gently plucked him out of the filter and he immediately sunk to the bottom. I see his gills moving, but otherwise he is just laying in one spot. He's usually very active so this isn't normal for him. Is there anything I can do?

Okay,
What's you're tank like? size, nitrate,ammonia,nitrite,heater, is it cycled?
------------
If you're tank is a good size you shouldn't do a full water change because it can mess up your cycle.Click here to go to a good website about cycling Plastic plants, along with ammonia, and fin biting can cause damage to the tail. If you have a problem with him getting stuck in the filter (I assume its a hang on the back?) take panty hose and slide it on the part where the fins got stuck and secure it with something.
------------
I've never tried bettafix so i have no clue how well it works.
Doing frequent water changes(not 100%), if your temperature is on the lower side make it rise a bit, Indian almond leaves are some ways to help him heal a little. Keeping your tank
marshsiren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _Human_ » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:40 am

I'm new to the fish owning world buuuut my boyfriend and his grandparents both use to have huge tanks long ago. However, I'll be getting my first fish here soon, it'll be the first pet we own together as well as my first fish. I am going to get a betta and I'm so excited. I've done all kinds of research and I'm ready to become a fish mom. Are there any pointers I should know going into this though? Any tips or tricks?
_Human_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stumpy. » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:55 am

Bad news: orchid has fin rot <|3

Good news: I caught it before it got too bad, and I'm currently waiting for the aquarium salt in his quarantine tank to settle before I let him back in (after easing him in of course) I'll be changing out 50% of the water in his regular tank as well. ^^
Hungry for art.
he/him
wildlife biology major
Stumpy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DemureGirl » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:46 am

Topsy Turvey wrote:Does anyone know of any really low light plants?
I have a few Mystery snails and guppies in my new 10 Gal but the tank is in a very low light spot in the living room and my dad doesn't want to get a florescent light for it because he's worried that it'd use too much power for our batteries, especially combined with the filter.

I currently have Java Moss and am working on buying some Java Fern but I'd love some other ideas for plants that can handle really low light? I've found that duckweed has handled low light pretty well so I might put some of that in there but other than those three I'm at a loss for what else I could add! c':

Anubias is another good one. One of my faves too

I just learnt that one of my one month old Goldfish fry has the exact finage I'm looking for! Huge butterfly tail and double anal fins. Also happens to be the biggest of them all!
DemureGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amsie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:01 am

honestly in love with those mini 5gal nanoaquariums. first and foremost,
      need to get my danio into a 10gal so i can get him a school since he
      killed his last one.

anyone know of any budget-friendly 5/10gals that i can get in the uk?
      dollar per gallon seems absolutely wonderful but just isn't the case
      here in england.
amsie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _Human_ » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:27 am

065D9A3B-FDD5-4B73-B7FA-184E476D1C9A.jpeg
Jarvis
065D9A3B-FDD5-4B73-B7FA-184E476D1C9A.jpeg (59.32 KiB) Viewed 50 times
83AF9CA5-8FBD-4AF6-8525-A80833247C1C.jpeg
Fish tank
83AF9CA5-8FBD-4AF6-8525-A80833247C1C.jpeg (433.43 KiB) Viewed 50 times

Username: WanderLustL
How many fish tanks do you have: 1
Types of fish that you have: 1 betta double tailed fish
Your fishs' names: Jarvis ((Like from iron man)
How long have you had fish: New fish mama

Pic of him when we first got him, I'm setting up his tank as we speak and soon he'll be in his new paradise.
_Human_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DemureGirl » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:53 am

amsie wrote:
      honestly in love with those mini 5gal nanoaquariums. first and foremost,
      need to get my danio into a 10gal so i can get him a school since he
      killed his last one.

anyone know of any budget-friendly 5/10gals that i can get in the uk?
      dollar per gallon seems absolutely wonderful but just isn't the case
      here in england.

The dollar per gallon thing is something I too wish was a thing here x___x

Have you checked any local ads? (or depending on how old you are, asked your parents to do so). I've gotten a bunch of nice tanks that way... but still not as nice a deal as that dollar a gallon though :thumbdown:
DemureGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me