Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Topsy Turvey » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:43 pm

I'm very seriously considering breeding blue Mystery Snails as after getting my first boy I'm just absolutely in love with them.
I know what I'd do with the babies and deal with the abundance of offspring but I'm curious as to what people who currently do or have done this would want to warn me or just make me aware of. (ie, needs how the needs of babies differs to the adults, what age they can breed and what sizes they are at such a time ect,,, just whatever you want basically!)

And if you don't have advice but breed them, I'd love to see your setups if you'd be happy to show me! <333

╔═════════════╗

Topsy ❅ She/Her ❅ Bi

A high key anxious mess~
Sorry if I take a while to reply,
I get overwhelmed very easily.
Feel free to poke me if I'm
taking a while!

Art links to my FR profile.
Credit: Cellar x Elijah

╚═════════════╝

Character Clear-Out!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Spreading Awareness about Preventing Fish Abuse

Postby SpottedSnake » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:28 am

As a hobbyist fishkeeper, I see countless people keeping fish in bowls and other inadequate habitats. The unfortunate thing about this is that is isn't even entirely their fault, as these ideas about keeping fish as decorations are very common and even encouraged by pet store employees. Many of these fish owners would have never housed their fish in improper habitats if they had simply known not to, but most non-fishkeepers have no clue that bowls and vases are harmful for their fish. Within fishkeeper communities, proper fish care is well-known, but this information generally stays within these communities.
My goal is to spread awareness about the harm improper housing is causing to these fish, especially betta fish and goldfish, who are the most common inhabitants of these bowls. If people simply knew that fish should be kept in a properly maintained aquarium, so many fish's lives could be saved. How can you help? Simply add the paragraph and/or image below to your signature (feel free to reformat it if you would like):

Say no to fish bowls!
Let's work together to spread awareness about proper fish care and husbandry, and combat the widespread misinformation that's harming thousands of improperly cared for fish.

(If you want, you can add
to the beginning of both of these sentences, and
to the end.)

This is the link to the image in my signature if you would like to add it as well, just add [img]in%20front%20of%20it%20and[/img] behind it in your signature.
https://i.imgur.com/qLPNDWw.png

With your help, we can help people learn how to properly care for their finned friends, and avoid the unnecessary harm caused by misinformation.
Remember, it's animal abuse, not just dog and cat abuse! Other animals can still be adversely affected by neglect, and it should be brought to our attention. Fish aren't just decorations, they're living, breathing, animals that you can help save!
Last edited by SpottedSnake on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpottedSnake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Spreading Awareness about Preventing Fish Abuse

Postby SpottedSnake » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:47 am

If anyone reading this has a fish in a bowl/vase/inadequate tank, feel free to PM me for help about upgrading them to a proper home! I'd love to help you and your fish out.
SpottedSnake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:49 am

rant about our new moores in a tiny tank

my mom likes fish. she says she likes their personalities, but im now 100%
      sure that they are just decorations.

im not huge on fish - but i am a huge animal lover. i actually have my own
      fish - a single danio in a 7 gallon tank. danios are supposed to be in groups,
      that i know. he used to be in a group in a 3 gallon tank that my mom bought
      to look pretty. its a 15 litre tall. he was in a group of 5 but killed all but
      1 very quickly because of territory and whatnot. i said the tank was too
      small but she didn't listen.

now that the fish killed all the other danios, he went with our old goldfish
      who was living in my 7 gallon tank. the goldfish died of, what i hope, age
      and my mom flushed him down the toilet. now the danio lives alone in our
      very, very old 7 gallon tank. she didn't want him because he killed all of
      her other danio and she said he was mean. i was very, very briefly considering
      a betta at the time and she came up with the excuse to give me the danio
      that she didn't want because the very old tank was rather ugly.

now i have a rather ugly spherical 7 gallon tank with one danio in it. i don't
      want to buy anymore until i can get a 10 gallon tank.

my mom now has an empty tank. or did.
      we were in town today and i wanted to go to the pet store because i love
      small furries and wanted to at least go see them. i blame myself so much
      because she started saying "only if i can get a fish".

i've been angry at her since she tank ordeal initially and she hasnt got a fish
      since. but we are getting money soon and i said "promise me you will buy a
      new tank in december" and she promised. she promised to get one moore by
      december.

we got to the pet store and got the lady working there that two moores could
      totally fit in a THREE GALLON TANK. i was so angry i walked out and i saw in her
      bag when she came out TWO moores.

i am so upset, because this is all my fault that two baby moores are going to grow
      up as these decorations. im also mad because moores were one of my favourite
      fish and now were gonna have two in a three gallon tank in a room no one is ever
      in.

im so upset.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:00 am

hyde wrote:

december.

totally fit in a THREE GALLON TANK. i was so angry i walked out and i saw in her

i am so upset, because this is all my fault that two baby moores are going to grow
      fish and now were gonna have two in a three gallon tank in a room no one is ever
      in.

im so upset.

:c That sucks. You might not be able to stop your mum doing what she wants but at least you know better and can do better in the future.
Maybe try showing her how big goldfish get. She might not care but if you try to make her understand you've done about all you can to help them. Maybe see if she'll have the water tested after the goldfish have been in it for a bit but before a water change so someone can tell her about high ammonia levels?
Something like this
Black moors can live for 10-15 years and can grow to 8 inches in length. Image
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoMoYA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:08 am

Username: [url=account link]Direwolf_1411225[/url]
How many fish tanks do you have: 3
Types of fish that you have: Betta fish, Chuli Loaches, Guppies, Ghost Shrimp
Your fishs' names: My baby platinum betta is named Phantom, My sunset coloured betta and I can’t pick a name even though I’ve had him for a year (;w;), The four guppies are named Shadow, Winter, Flare, and Flame. The loaches are named Scauldy and Moldy (The other passed away, don’t remember her name ;w; I feel so horrible)
How long have you had fish: I’ve had fish for seven years.

Sunset boi:
https://sta.sh/22flhzs0azcf?edit=1

my BABEEEE (Lol Phantom):
https://sta.sh/21q2qax8f058?edit=1
。⋆🎀⋆。
🪦🕊️
。⋆🎀⋆。
˚ ◌༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥ ˚ ◌༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥ ˚ ◌༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥ
Art Fight ♡ Thoma irl

MoMoYA

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:18 am

Lonin wrote:
hyde wrote:

december.

in.

im so upset.

:c That sucks. You might not be able to stop your mum doing what she wants but at least you know better and can do better in the future.
Maybe try showing her how big goldfish get. She might not care but if you try to make her understand you've done about all you can to help them. Maybe see if she'll have the water tested after the goldfish have been in it for a bit but before a water change so someone can tell her about high ammonia levels?
Something like this
Black moors can live for 10-15 years and can grow to 8 inches in length. Image

problem is shes had these fish in the past, but she stunted
      their growths. she doesnt do her research - she sees something
      pretty and wants it. im still so upset, in tears. i am such an
      animal person and whilst fish arent my thing, animals are.
      she knows that. she knew how much this would anger me.

shes just come home with the fish now (i walked home alone).

-- midway through writing this my mom came into my room.

she said one of the fish was coming to live in my tank and
      the other alone in her 3gl. i refused, and she walked out.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:39 am

hyde wrote:
      problem is shes had these fish in the past, but she stunted
      their growths. she doesnt do her research - she sees something
      pretty and wants it. im still so upset, in tears. i am such an
      animal person and whilst fish arent my thing, animals are.
      she knows that. she knew how much this would anger me.

shes just come home with the fish now (i walked home alone).

-- midway through writing this my mom came into my room.

she said one of the fish was coming to live in my tank and
      the other alone in her 3gl. i refused, and she walked out.

If she likes pretty maybe introduce her to planted tanks and if you can explain the nitrogen cycle and filters to her, possibly bettas? Or if she doesn't find them gross maybe apple or mystery snails or shrimp? They come in all sorts of pretty colours and patterns.
Throw a bit of wood or some rocks in a tank, add some moss, java ferns and other easy, slow growing plants like anubias or crypts and you can make something really pretty c: that can be very low maintenance. Much better than a barren 3 gallon with some sad goldfish.
This does rely on her being willing to listen to you. You can't force her to do the right thing. Maybe take over their care a bit and lead by example as much as you can? If you're doing what you can to care for them it might help you feel a little bit better. Get a testing kit even if it's just a cheap strip one and regularly test the water. Get a little sponge filter if it doesn't have one. Do lots of little water changes. Get some fake plants and make the tank look nice if it doesn't already. You might not be able to give them the best life, but you can give them a better one c: Or focus your care on your danio if you can't do anything for the goldfish. You can be a good owner even if your mum isn't.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:14 am

thanks. calmed down a bit now, but still not speaking to her.

i've been planning out making my new tank (hopefully getting it for
      christmas!) being completely planted, ten gallons+ and have more
      danios. i am not a fish person, but he is my responsibility to make
      happy. i also love pet shrimp - oddly more than most fish, so i'll
      definitely have those in my tank!
      right now, getting real plants and replanting the tank is going to be
      a struggle due to finance, which is ever the more reason to not get
      two more moores. i haven't seen them yet, but gahh im so angry.

also, can we just mention how the employee of the pet store said
      proudly and confidently that a 15l was enough for a moore? i knew it
      wasn't true, but not knowing the exact amount then and there in the
      store (again, not a fish person. i can recite the cage minimums for
      gerbils, mice, hamsters and rats, certain parrots and all sorts, but fish
      our completely out of my depth) had me fuming.

if only i was older, just by a smidge, and i could be taken seriously.
      issue is, adults (which i am not even far off from now) genuinely see
      adolescents as idiots. i know so much about animals - literally more
      than i know about any other subject - and i get batted down for
      being sensitive.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Topsy Turvey » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:54 am

Does anyone know of any really low light plants?
I have a few Mystery snails and guppies in my new 10 Gal but the tank is in a very low light spot in the living room and my dad doesn't want to get a florescent light for it because he's worried that it'd use too much power for our batteries, especially combined with the filter.

I currently have Java Moss and am working on buying some Java Fern but I'd love some other ideas for plants that can handle really low light? I've found that duckweed has handled low light pretty well so I might put some of that in there but other than those three I'm at a loss for what else I could add! c':

╔═════════════╗

Topsy ❅ She/Her ❅ Bi

A high key anxious mess~
Sorry if I take a while to reply,
I get overwhelmed very easily.
Feel free to poke me if I'm
taking a while!

Art links to my FR profile.
Credit: Cellar x Elijah

╚═════════════╝

Character Clear-Out!

My pets