Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Stripe12 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:20 am

So one of my guppies gave birth earlier than I expected, so I caught as many fry as I could and put them in here. So far I’ve found 4.
Attachments
68E4E737-84E9-466F-B251-B2AD1619B73F.jpeg
68E4E737-84E9-466F-B251-B2AD1619B73F.jpeg (145.17 KiB) Viewed 132 times
Stripe12

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Topsy Turvey » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:03 pm

Oh gosh I need help, my tank is being overrun by snails. My darling snails.
I got two ramshorns when I got my guppies as my tank was newly set up and the lady said it was probably best to get a spare in case one died. Sounded fair enough to me so I got two (the second was free). Later on I got a Java Moss plant that had a youngish tadpole snail on it who I also love and decided to keep.

Turns out none of my fish died -or snails- died and its been a month so it doesn't look like they're going to anytime soon either-although I would love to be pmed some advice about one of my guppies. But now they're big and strong and,,, breeding.

Initially I noticed them breeding then saw one clutch of eggs stuck to the tank so I decided to split them up so at least any new clutches would -hopefully- be separated from my main tank and they would stop breeding for the moment. Now in the new make shift tank there are two more clutches of eggs and still just the one in the other tank. That's a lot more eggs than I care to think about.

But the fun doesn't end there, when I went to check on the eggs this morning in my main tank was a baby tadpole snail next to the ramshorn eggs. Oh god now I'm in trouble.

I always thought the whole 'they can breed with themselves' thing was crap and still kind of do until I saw the baby tadpole snail as I only have the one adult.

Please pm me/post here with advice (I know I can kill them I'd just like to stray away from that option for the moment and figure out whether or not they can breed by themselves pretty much).

╔═════════════╗

Topsy ❅ She/Her ❅ Bi

A high key anxious mess~
Sorry if I take a while to reply,
I get overwhelmed very easily.
Feel free to poke me if I'm
taking a while!

Art links to my FR profile.
Credit: Cellar x Elijah

╚═════════════╝

Character Clear-Out!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:36 pm

We found this saying that bladder snails can reproduce asexually: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 142118.htm
If you don't want to get kill or get rid of them there isn't much you can do. They'll never stop breeding. Just leave them to it and maybe feed a bit less as their population is controlled by food. Not enough and some will die off, too much and more will appear.
You can try things like snail traps which you can make by putting some holes in a plastic bottle and putting some food inside but you most likely won't be able to get rid of them all.
Or you could try assassin snails but then you have the problem of being overrun with assassin snails c:
Some fish will eat them but the ones that could live with guppies can't be in a 5 or 10 gallon and the ones that can live in a small tank can't live with guppies.

And if you were charged for just basic ramshorn or bladder snails we'd maybe avoid that fish shop in the future. Most reputable places would be happy to give you a handful of snails for free for exactly this reason if you don't already end up with some from any plants you buy.
If they were fancy ones that's fine c:
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Topsy Turvey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Ahhh thank you so much for the tips, we got them from a local (inexperienced) guppy breeder and she ended up giving us the guppies and snails for free,,, Now I can see why. x'D

Today I ended up buying a single Mystery Snail before removing the Ramshorn and cleaning out my entire tank. I'm so glad I did as I had only seen two clutches of eggs in that tank and there ended up being multiple attached to each corner of the tank, I would've ended up easily having 100+ babies if I hadn't done that which is an awfully scary thought.

The guppies and the new snail are now all in their new tank and are settling in well.

The plans for the other snails isn't so easy, I've opted to 'dispose' of the tadpole snails as no one here is going to be willing to take them as they're considered more of a pest than the ramshorns. I've also disposed of all the eggs from the main tank and plan to do the same to the other one but I hope to do that at the same time as I get rid of the baby tadpole snails who I haven't managed to track down yet because they're too small.

I do hope to rehome the two adult Ramshorns though as I've grown quite attached to them and it doesn't seem right doing that to something that is well- more than an egg I guess. I wish I could've done the same for the tadpole snails but their eggs are so much harder to spot than the Ramshorns and I would've ended up worse than I am now.

╔═════════════╗

Topsy ❅ She/Her ❅ Bi

A high key anxious mess~
taking a while!

╚═════════════╝

Character Clear-Out!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:41 pm

There's nothing wrong with having snails in your tank unless you can't stand how they look. A lot of people with planted tanks bring them in on purpose as they eat dead plant matter and algae.
it's up to you what you do but don't worry too much about a snailpocalypse.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Topsy Turvey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:47 pm

God I love snails as much as I love having fish, if not more xD
I'm just happy to have a snail that wont constantly reproduce now c':

╔═════════════╗

Topsy ❅ She/Her ❅ Bi

A high key anxious mess~
taking a while!

╚═════════════╝

Character Clear-Out!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DemureGirl » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 am

Mt goldfish spawned two weeks ago. About 70 hatched but I think they have flukes so will likely die :(
DemureGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:17 am

So one of my female bettas is having issues staying down in the tank, she keeps floating back up, despite being treated for swim bladder issues for the past two weeks.

She’s always had this... belly? When she eats she bloats for a couple of days and it normally goes down. It’s happened since I got her almost 7 months ago. She’s been having a lot of issues lately.

I scooped her out of the 2 gallon medicated tank to clean it and it looked like she was laying eggs? No contact with a male and I read that female bettas don’t carry eggs so I’m confused as mess.
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DemureGirl » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:52 am

Skysong wrote:So one of my female bettas is having issues staying down in the tank, she keeps floating back up, despite being treated for swim bladder issues for the past two weeks.

She’s always had this... belly? When she eats she bloats for a couple of days and it normally goes down. It’s happened since I got her almost 7 months ago. She’s been having a lot of issues lately.

I scooped her out of the 2 gallon medicated tank to clean it and it looked like she was laying eggs? No contact with a male and I read that female bettas don’t carry eggs so I’m confused as mess.

The whole don't carry eggs without a male is a liiiieeee.

It sounds like she could be eggbound, but it could also be that she is constipated. Don't feed her for a few days and then feed her a cooked, de-shelled, pea. Repeat if need be. If that doesn't work then you may need to try epsom salts
DemureGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby marshsiren » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Username: marshsiren
How many fish tanks do you have: one 5.5g and a 10g
Types of fish that you have:2 bettas, a female(10g) and male(5.5) I also have a couple shrimp with the female.
Your fishs' names:Mooshu(male) + king(female)
How long have you had fish: (do not share your age!)4 years
(Hopefully the images aren’t too big, if they are i’ll link them, the first image is Mooshu and the second is king.)
————-
My plants are sprouting in the tanks so hopefully everything gets way more lush soon! (:
marshsiren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me