Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Imzadi83 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Human Rayla wrote:
Shadow~Wolf wrote:super excited for lucky's birthday, i'm planning it a week ahead. what do you all do for your dog's birthdays?

I bake him a cupcake and he gets a frozen treat. Last year I brought him to get a pupcup from Starbucks but this year I’m making dog ice cream. He gets a present from me, my boyfriend, and my boyfriend’s parents. My grandma gave him something last year but idk if she’ll make a habit of it. We also bring him for a long car ride since that’s his favorite thing ever.

This year I’m making his birthday gift, a snuffle mat. You just get a mat with holes that you tie long strips of fabric everywhere. You put treats or kibble in it for them to find.

Anyone else make a homemade toy? I’d love to know for future things I can make for him.

Oh, I'll have to consider making a snuffle mat, that sounds doable for me. I've never made ice cream, though I've bought dog ice cream for Chloe before. I usually give it to her for gotcha day since that's in July.

The only homemade toys I've ever made are sticking a treat in paper towel tube and folding in the edges or putting one in a dixie cup and shoving in another cup. I've pinned a lot of things on Pintrest but never done much.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Faybell » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:48 pm

^ You should look into it, it’s no sew! It literally only takes a mat with decent sized holes (I’m getting a mat for the sink), a yard or two of fabric (depending on the size of the mat), scissors, and a bit of patience to make! :D

I just bought premade mix that makes dog ice cream. I went to a small local pet shop and I didn’t want to leave without getting something. I’ll try making it from scratch next year.

Edit: but yeah this is what I mean by snuffle mat. :D
Faybell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:19 pm

Human Rayla wrote:^ You should look into it, it’s no sew! It literally only takes a mat with decent sized holes (I’m getting a mat for the sink), a yard or two of fabric (depending on the size of the mat), scissors, and a bit of patience to make! :D

I just bought premade mix that makes dog ice cream. I went to a small local pet shop and I didn’t want to leave without getting something. I’ll try making it from scratch next year.

Edit: but yeah this is what I mean by snuffle mat. :D

Thanks! I'll have to give it a try.

Yeah, I've tried the mix too. Chloe has liked it but it really freezes solid, lol. Other then gotcha day and when we go out for ice cream I like to stuff it her Kong as a treat. I've also bought the premade Dogsters ice cream as well. Is it hard to make from scratch? Do you need an ice cream maker?
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Faybell » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:04 pm

^ I was planning on getting a bone silicone mold to freeze it in. He actually really loves ice so I think he’ll prefer it that way.

I usually just follow DIY’s on YouTube. She pretty much says if you want it to be creamy/fluffy like ice cream you need a ice cream maker but you can freeze it solid if you want. This is for watermelon but I’m sure it works the same for other flavors as well. The base for every ice cream DIY I come across uses plain yogurt so not hard at all. They just mix in whatever flavor they want to make.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e3g4P1MEKmk
Faybell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:01 am

eleutheromania wrote:
    Its good that you've got her started in agility and obedience, are you planning to start conformation puppy shows?. Did her breeder genetically test her for MDR1 etc? Or will you have to send it in yourself to make sure she's clear of everything genetically? Does Bentley have his health clearances or is he a puppy too at the moment?

Not sure about the conformation shows yet... I will have t test her myself to make sure she is clear. Bentley is only a pup as well, so I will need to make sure he is clear and healthy, but if he isn't, I have no problem with finding a new healthy stud dog. Bentley is a red tri. He is also standard size.

I am also interested in the studs from Lakemichiganaussies.com they are already tested and ready.
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:13 am

-
Last edited by shadow~wolf on Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pangolin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:26 am

I've been wanting to make a snuggle mat for my dogs (and prob my rats) but the only mats I can find are called 'fatigue mats' that are for standing on for long periods of time and they are huge and expensive! What did or are you guys using to make yours? I certainly have the fabric for it. (Certified fabric hoarder here).
{ Pangolin - Call Me Pan }
| Dexter | Honey | Sadie | Athena&Rhea | Rusty | Parker |
Pangolin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:32 am

Pangolin wrote:I've been wanting to make a snuggle mat for my dogs (and prob my rats) but the only mats I can find are called 'fatigue mats' that are for standing on for long periods of time and they are huge and expensive! What did or are you guys using to make yours? I certainly have the fabric for it. (Certified fabric hoarder here).

i used a rubber sink mat with holes in it! then cut the fleece to match sizes and then tied them around.
https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/blog/diy-make-your-dog-or-cat-a-snuffle-matt/
shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Faybell » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:23 am

Pangolin wrote:I've been wanting to make a snuggle mat for my dogs (and prob my rats) but the only mats I can find are called 'fatigue mats' that are for standing on for long periods of time and they are huge and expensive! What did or are you guys using to make yours? I certainly have the fabric for it. (Certified fabric hoarder here).

What shadow said. I couldn’t find any in my area but I found a few online for 5 bucks. I’m sure as last resort you could also just buy a normal small rubber mat and make the holes yourself. I don’t trust myself not to accidentally cut my hand so that isn’t an option for me lol.

Edit: Also you can buy them premade for 20+ dollars. I was just looking for a fun project to do. If you find a mat and have fabric lying around (like an old fleece blanket), it’d just be much cheaper to make yourself.

Shadow~Wolf wrote:Lucky has a homemade snuffle mat! but it's gotten really old and dirty
so i'll probably be throwing it away soon and getting a new one. it's worked well for us!

I’m glad to hear that it worked for you and Lucky! Hopefully It’s a hit with Wick as well. :D
Faybell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pangolin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:17 am

Human Rayla wrote:

What shadow said. I couldn’t find any in my area but I found a few online for 5 bucks. I’m sure as last resort you could also just buy a normal small rubber mat and make the holes yourself. I don’t trust myself not to accidentally cut my hand so that isn’t an option for me lol.

Edit: Also you can buy them premade for 20+ dollars. I was just looking for a fun project to do. If you find a mat and have fabric lying around (like an old fleece blanket), it’d just be much cheaper to make yourself.

Shadow~Wolf wrote:Lucky has a homemade snuffle mat! but it's gotten really old and dirty
so i'll probably be throwing it away soon and getting a new one. it's worked well for us!

I’m glad to hear that it worked for you and Lucky! Hopefully It’s a hit with Wick as well. :D

I'd defs lose a finger trying to make all those holes myself, lol. I was going to buy a premade one but if I can do it for cheaper, I'll normally do that since my dogs love to ruin things.
{ Pangolin - Call Me Pan }
| Dexter | Honey | Sadie | Athena&Rhea | Rusty | Parker |
Pangolin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me