Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby PemCorgis » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:51 pm

hyde wrote:okay so i have a bit of a problem.
i got given one danio and a 6.5 gallon tank. i know danios need to be in schools and at least a 10 gallon tank. i know this and so will able to get a 10 gallon in a couple months. i thought it would be best to get the fish after the tank is set up.
my problem is that the fish is slowing down a bit. he isnt zooming around the tank like he used to and i think that could be a result from having a smaller tank with no school and the only. company of ramshorn snails.
should i wait to get a school when i get the ten gallon or should i get them before?? new fishkeeper here.

imo I'd wait. Most danios actually do better in a 20L because it has a much wider tank for them to swim through. When you have a short tank, like a 10g, they run out of swimming room fast and it can stress them out more. I'm assuming you got a regular old zebra danio as well, so please correct me if I'm wrong. https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/danio-rerio/ Here's my favorite site to refer to on species requirements!
ImageImage
PemCorgis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:11 pm

i do have a zebra danio, yes. the issue is that i cant find anything bigger (and less than £150) than a 10gal. if i find something ill definitely get it.. i know in the US there are much cheaper tanks.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:37 pm

Do you need a stand as well? Have you tried looking for a second hand one?

But yup yup we'd definitely wait to get more fish. They'll probably be more stressed out being cramped in a small tank and you'll have issues keeping the water stable.
Your other option would be to buy a plastic storage box to keep them in temporarily until you can afford a proper tank. You can get big 45 or 90 litre ones cheap. Then you could buy a school now.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:27 pm

i'll avoid buying a school for now then. i don't need a stand as i'm getting a new room and i'll find the space for it there. as of the moment it's on my dresser which is uncomfortably too small for water changes and feeding.
i have about 50 ramhorn snails that keep breeding.. how do i make em stop?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ғᴏʀᴇsᴛ★ᴄʀɪᴛᴛᴇʀ » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:50 am

So I'm rearranging the tanks in my room, moving some fish, planning on getting some new ones, whatever. Because I had to but down my beatiful male peacock gudgeon the other day, after he developed swim bladder problems and later what semmed to be complete paralasys from his belly and down, I would like to change some things. I would've treated the swim bladder issue, but after he suddenly displayed partial paralasys in the body, I had no way of treating it and decided it was best to put him out of his misery. At that point he could only lay at the bottom or spin around uncontrollably when swimming, only having his pectoral fins to drag himself along with. Now, the only thing that had changed in my tank before he got sick was the addition of some amano shrimp. That's why I'm setting up a 30L/8g tank on my desk to move them into. Now, to my question: Do you think endlers whould do well in the 8g? Would a betta also fit? Or do they bicker with the amanos? In my experience my significantly larger peacock gudgeons completely ignored the amano shrimps. My other tank (with gudgeons) is a 45L/12g asian biotope. I've been contemplating getting some blue eye rainbows (Pseudomugil sp.) to go with my other southeast asian fish. The tank is 40cm by 35cm. Do you think this is a good size for a small group of these? Does anyone have experience with them?
ғᴏʀᴇsᴛ★ᴄʀɪᴛᴛᴇʀ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DemureGirl » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:05 pm

I've had a bit of excitement in my tanks. Marty, my calico telescope boy has been showing an interest in my girls, Molly, the black oranda and the newly named Sayuri the calico demekin. Spring is certainly here!

And speaking of spring, one of my local fish stores (ok, it's like two hours away but its as local as you get here!) had their goldfish spawn unexpectedly overnight. They didn't want the eggs, too much work to raise so offered to give out some eggs for free to anyone who asked. Unfortunately this was a Friday so I wasn't able to get there until Saturday. When I got there there were just casings left with the odd possibly viable egg.

Regardless I had a tank up and running so decided I might as well give them a chance. Got a bag full of "bits" and put them in my tank. There were a couple of whole eggs but as the week went on the ended up turning out infertile and grew fungus so one by one they were removed.

Then, to my absolute shock yesterday I saw one when I had a look in the tank. A tiny baby. And then this morning I found another. Somehow two eggs survived and hatched. So now I have to raise them as best as I can <3

DemureGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jun. » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:08 am

Username: Jun.
How many fish tanks do you have: none currently in use
Types of fish that you have: None at the moment
Your fishs' names:
How long have you had fish: (do not share your age!)

I actually don't have any fish right now, but I absolutely adore them and I'm planning on getting a couple goldfish when I have the money, and possibly (in the far future) a shrimp tank.
I'd love any advice for goldfish/shrimp (I've done and am still doing tons of research, but I'm sure there's plenty I don't know yet), as well as aquascaping advice. ^^
Yo, I'm Jun--I'm into cats
pomeranians and kpop
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DA
Currently listening to:
DPR Ian
Jun.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:53 am

Just got given a 48lt tank by my sister, it has the filter ( going to re-cycle it to be shore ) and I'm planing on getting a heater so I can finally get my Betta. Just wondering what other fish I can get I was looking at fish like Mollies and platties but I'm open for other ideas for a small community tank.

I'm not use to tanks, my mum and dad kept fish but that's a while ago and I've only kept a goldfish pond ( which I'm hoping to set back up with a raised pond come warmer weather) so it's all new to me.

CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rancidram » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:00 am

its been a while since I last posted on here. i've mostly been keeping up on flight rising. but heres the scoop:
i had to move into a new house recently, so transporting my fish was very stressful. i was especially nervous about the neon tetras since i always have bad luck with cleaning my tank with them. thankfully, no casualties.
anyways, ive been looking for a job and no luck so far. i want to get my betta his own tank because smaller fish are pigs. especially the dang guppies. I know many people that warn about guppies and bettas housed together. my betta is the biggest wimp and is not aggressive at all. ive never had problems with fin nipping and everyone gets along perfectly fine. I just my big boy to have his own space.
╔══════════════════════════════════════╗
r a n c i d r a m
black lives matter • empty the tanks • feminist
most likely inactive
ImageImageImage
╚══════════════════════════════════════╝
rancidram

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jun. » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:35 am

I have a 21gal tank that's just been sitting around, and after doing some research on what to put in it, I've decided on a betta. So does anyone have any advice for biotopes/aquascaping for a betta tank? A blackwater aquarium seems to be the best option, but I would love a second opinion as well as design ideas. ^^
Yo, I'm Jun--I'm into cats
pomeranians and kpop
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DA
Currently listening to:
DPR Ian
Jun.

My pets
My items
My wishlist