Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby ~Atlas~ » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:25 am

@multipledinosaurs yeah it seemed wrong to me :/ I think I’ll try and call the vet a day or two before the surgery and see what she suggest for preop and postop care. Y’all have been sooo helpful thank you c: I’m not as nervous anymore haha

Yeah I heard bunnies love bananas, but he tried them and didn’t seem to like them much — maybe the texture freaked him out cx he loves pineapples, mangos and papayas he’s a very exotic bun hehe

I love beetle cats they’re so cute! I love 60s hippie stuff like that. I named Morrison after Jim Morrison from The Doors, which was a 60s psychedelic rock group if you’ve never heard of him c: whenever he wants to come out of his cage we joke that he “wants to break on through to the other side” (which is a song by The Doors lmao)
~Atlas~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:05 pm

I've been wanting to start my own rabbitry for a couple years now but I can't decide on the breed. These are my top choices;

English Spot

Belgian Hare

Checkered Giant

Holland lop.

I'll most likely be doing two out of four of those breeds, or picking one breed and then another different for meat rabbits. But I'm insanely in love with Belgian hares and I feel like BH's and CG's would make the best looking kits of the two, but maybe not the most ideal meat rabbit.. Welp, I'd love input <3
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Burrito Bunny » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:43 pm

@~Atlas~

The first rabbit I got had /just/ been neutered, so I got a taste of the very hormonal male before he settled down haha. He was extremely eager and would hump everything and anything, even if it was inanimate. I found that giving him a roughly bunny sized stuff animal may give him a better way to release that energy. I mean, even after he's been fixed the urge won't go away entirely, he'll just be in more control. For me, the stuffed animal really helped divert my male's attention when attempting to bond him with my little female who wasn't all too interested in that behavior haha.

As for ripping out the stitches, it shouldn't be too big of a concern. I recently got my newest female spayed for the first time (usually the animals I get have already been fixed prior to adoption). She handled the stitches alright, in fact the first day she didn't even move much because she was in pain. She didn't perk back up fully until she was well on the way to recovery. However, the vet told me if she was getting too rambunctious I could confine her to a small space for a few days and then she'd be completely fine.

I know for my female the vet wanted her to eat and drink right before the procedure. They specifically wanted to feed her treats while she was going under, and made sure she had water (although they also gave her an IV line during surgery). I would call them up and ask to talk to the surgeon for confirmation. It's possible the receptionist didn't know that rabbit surgeries are not the same as dogs or people.
Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:36 am

Man, my favourite Pet YouTuber's bunny passed away, it's so sad.

Also, the chances of me ever getting a bunny/bunnies at this point are slim to none. Damn allergies.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Atlas~ » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:02 am

@burrito bunny
Thank you for all that I do! He had his surgery this morning. He’s still resting there but the vet tech sent me a picture and said he’s doing well c: I’m v anxious to have my little baby back home with me haha but he’s in good hands

Yeah when I talked to the vet tech and asked if it was ok to feed him before surgery, she was like “yeah absolutely.” So they know what they’re doing which is good bc that was worrying me

Hopefully this neuter will fix his jumping but if not I’ll just put a towel in his cage! When he was in his little cage on the way to the vet this morning, he was going crazy on the towel that we put in there to line it cx as long as it’s not my arm (or someone else’s lol) all’s good, it’s honestly so funny to watch
~Atlas~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby triplethesix » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:15 am

anyone have rabbit care tips?
    i’m getting a rabbit in a few weeks and i want them to have the best care possible!
triplethesix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose.bloom » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:23 am

any tips to help with molting?

boonz doesn't seem to stop, and i really dont know what to do! plain old brushing
    isnt seeming to do the trick?
rose.bloom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Burrito Bunny » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:41 am

rose.bloom wrote:
    any tips to help with molting?

boonz doesn't seem to stop, and i really dont know what to do! plain old brushing
    isnt seeming to do the trick?

You can try plucking his coat if he allows you (some don't mind, others hate it). Basically just pet the rabbit, and gently grab the fur and pull out anything that's extremely loose. Don't pull hair out, just gently ease out the tufts that are already falling out. This can help catch more hair than brushing.

You can also try brushing in the wrong direction, although again if the bunny doesn't tolerate it well then stop of course. Brushing normally should get at least enough hair that his digestive system will be fine.
Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xiangling » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:49 pm

wow, i am really inactive in this thread. a lot has changed since i last spoke-
i've gotten a new bunny, called mochi- she's a lionhead and she's about 2-3 months old.
she seems to be really sensitive around her ears and has little to no fur there? i don't know if this is normal or not and a google search won't tell me anything :(
and, @rose.bloom, i suggest to do what burrito bunny said- pluck his coat gently. use a wire brush if you cant seem to get all the loose hair out, maybe? sorry, i'm not much of a help.
ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚ potato mochi tastes so much better when you have something to be happy about!

Image sunny Image fifteen Image any/all
xiangling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Atlas~ » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:50 pm

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with a rabbit runny nose? My bunny had had the sniffles in the last, and I could tell bc he was constantly sneezing and had runny eyes/a runny nose. I took him to the vet about 2 months ago for it and they prescribed antibiotics for him that seemed to work well. The cost of that visit was $125. Now, it seems like he has a runny nose again, but he rarely sneezes. He’s a lionhead, so do you think it might be because of his fur? I know CS isn’t for vet advice, I was just wondering on y’all opinions. I would do anything for him, but financially he’s adding up. This summer I’ve already spent almost $500 (closer to $700 but my parents helped me out a little) on him between his neuter, new cage and food/litter. If there’s any way I could help him get over his runny nose without another costly vet visit, that would be great! He’s acting, eating, and pooping normally and acting like his little annoying self so I’m trying to not be too concerned!
..Image
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
thosethosethose
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♥ who..pale ♥
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
inyourinyour
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
╔═════════════════╗