The Rat Thread

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Rat Thread

Postby eff » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:05 am

LizardsAreLovely wrote:How many rats do you own;; Two
What brought you to the rat thread;; I love rats and I desire to talk about them ^^
Do your rats know any tricks;; They know how to go everywhere except their litter pans. Pretty great trick!

I just got two baby rats not that long ago and oh my goodness I love them to bits! One can't see too well yet is brave, loving and active while the other is laid back, sweet and a bit more shy. My whole room reeks of rats and they play-fight while I'm trying to sleep but other than that they are a joy to have around.

I've had them only for a couple of weeks but I can't imagine a life without them. Love my lil rex girls <3

oh, does your room smell bad?
      how do you clean their cage? size of cage? male/female? males tend to have more of a musk,
      but i can't see their being a huge issue with just a couple females.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sandy Hoofprints » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:35 am

^^ Babies are notorious for smelling bad because of they eat more protein (or they should, if from a breeder they will recommend that - eggs, chicken, etc). There are also several ways to try and cut down the smell. I have 6 girls and it doesn't smell bad unless I get really behind. I have pee rocks in litter trays so they are litter trained (they love to pee on rocks for some reason). Then I only clean the full cage every 1-2 weeks, and clean the litter trays and wash hammocks twice a week. The more you clean them the worse the smell is supposed to be bc they scent mark if it doesn't smell like them.
▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
Sandy
◈ Vet Student ◈ Irish ◈ Image
◈ ♀ Rugby Player ◈ ISFJ/ISTJ ◈

toltsfwphocother
▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲
Sandy Hoofprints

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Valac » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:06 am

hyde wrote:
LizardsAreLovely wrote:How many rats do you own;; Two
What brought you to the rat thread;; I love rats and I desire to talk about them ^^
Do your rats know any tricks;; They know how to go everywhere except their litter pans. Pretty great trick!

I just got two baby rats not that long ago and oh my goodness I love them to bits! One can't see too well yet is brave, loving and active while the other is laid back, sweet and a bit more shy. My whole room reeks of rats and they play-fight while I'm trying to sleep but other than that they are a joy to have around.

I've had them only for a couple of weeks but I can't imagine a life without them. Love my lil rex girls <3

oh, does your room smell bad?
      how do you clean their cage? size of cage? male/female? males tend to have more of a musk,
      but i can't see their being a huge issue with just a couple females.

Females. They are in a double floor critter nation, I wash their fleece and change their pans once a week as well as spot clean everyday. I probably exaggerated on the smell, not so bad but compared to my lizards they smell a heck of a lot worse.

Sandy Hoofprints wrote:^^ Babies are notorious for smelling bad because of they eat more protein (or they should, if from a breeder they will recommend that - eggs, chicken, etc). There are also several ways to try and cut down the smell. I have 6 girls and it doesn't smell bad unless I get really behind. I have pee rocks in litter trays so they are litter trained (they love to pee on rocks for some reason). Then I only clean the full cage every 1-2 weeks, and clean the litter trays and wash hammocks twice a week. The more you clean them the worse the smell is supposed to be bc they scent mark if it doesn't smell like them.

^^ also I added rocks a while back but they still prefer to pee on their fleece. Its whatever I suppose but at least they are getting a lot better at using their pans. They don't have it down 100% but I've caught them using em' quite a few times Just gotta keep at it!

Returning player. Not sure whats going on anymore
Valac

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sandy Hoofprints » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:25 am

Oh you should totally not use fleece, it stinks really bad! Try dust extracted shavings, hemp, chopped cardboard, etc. They also offer them great enrichment as you can scatter their food into the substrate for them to dig for. Great youtube channel called Isamu Rat Care does videos on different substrates and their advantages <3
Sandy

toltsfwphocother
Sandy Hoofprints

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nervousdog » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:00 am

I gotta say I love my mother in law ( well, boyfriend mom ) . We are such bad influences on each other 🤣
She found a post of someone desperately trying to rehome 2 male rats, 4.5 months old . She sent it to me like the sneaky devil she is,, knowing I LOVE rats .. I had up to 7 at one time and 9 in total, all boys and all so loved . I even have my heart rats paw tattooed on my arm .
So I tell her that I would love too but I rlly can't . WELL this sneaky devil is already messaging the girl getting their story so on so forth ( something I would do too, did I rub off on her or did she rub off on me ? LMAO ) . So then she sent me a message telling me she thinks we are gonna have to pick up these babies .
I don't condone what she is ( well, we are ) doing, but I can't say I actually truly hate it either .

So here I am, now looking for some good cages that aren't too big, but are big enough .
Gosh I'm so excited .. I miss my boys so much, they were truly my world .
I also love my mother in law haha
aquarius ♡ 3oh!3 stan ♡ dog trainer ♡ 5 . 10 . 20
nervousdog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sandy Hoofprints » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:15 am

@nervousdog, sounds like you're about to be a rat mamma again! I wish you the best of luck they are so amazing, and so addictive!
I have 6 rescues and am maxed out both in cage size, time and in the size of my room, however I keep seeing perfect lonely girls that need rescued in my city and it takes every ounce of self control not to take them.
I have got my two cages second hand for cheap (and one free) on fb c:
Sandy

toltsfwphocother
Sandy Hoofprints

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby KimetsuKitsune » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:16 am

Rats rats, were the rats, celebrating yet another birthday bash. MICHAEL its your birthday today, cake and ice cream is on its way, and MICHAEL, youve been such a good boy this year, open up your gifts while we all cheer.
the real miku!
empty sekai resident

Xavi
he/they
transbi+audhd
cosplayer+voice actor

pjsk, vocaloid, danganronpa
she-ra, pokemon, atla/atlok
toh, amphibia, mlp, splatoon
kny, beastars, bna

kinnie to miku, kokichi,
catra, denki, korra, hunter,
marcy wu, gorou, michiru

KimetsuKitsune

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Johto » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:03 pm

Helloo there

My aunt's rats might be having babies and if they are, I'll be taking two of the babies. Even if they aren't, my mom said we still might be able to get one this year. Does anyone know any places that have the best cages for them, or any websites with information resources on keeping them?
Anna | She/her | Nonbinary
Fictional middle aged
man Enthusiast | I love
Zelda, Pokemon, Sonic,
FFXIV, No More Heroes,
MGR, Okami and Devil May Cry

I love animals in general, I
think marine life is really cool

Fandoms on my Carrd
Carrd | Toyhouse | Click if you dare
Funny video that I change sometimes

(I go by TwilightBard on most platforms)
Johto

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:13 am

Pokedex Holder wrote:Helloo there

My aunt's rats might be having babies and if they are, I'll be taking two of the babies. Even if they aren't, my mom said we still might be able to get one this year. Does anyone know any places that have the best cages for them, or any websites with information resources on keeping them?
      That's exciting! Would this be your first time owning rats? I would high suggest doing lots of research on your own on rat care and the best cages, as there are pros and cons to them all. Personally I prefer the Critter Nation cages as they are easiest to clean, decorate, and are well made.

Also I see you mentioned if your aunt's rats doesn't have babies, your mother might let you get one. Please ensure you always have more than one rat as they are social creatures!

Best of luck on your research! (Also I love your avatar and signature!)

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Johto » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:12 pm

Gamora. wrote:
    Pokedex Holder wrote:Helloo there

That's exciting! Would this be your first time owning rats? I would high suggest doing lots of research on your own on rat care and the best cages, as there are pros and cons to them all. Personally I prefer the Critter Nation cages as they are easiest to clean, decorate, and are well made.

Also I see you mentioned if your aunt's rats doesn't have babies, your mother might let you get one. Please ensure you always have more than one rat as they are social creatures!

Best of luck on your research! (Also I love your avatar and signature!)

Yes, it will be my first time. I'm searching everywhere I can for the best advice on raising them, and I'll keep doing this even after I get them. The Critter Nation cages look really nice, I'll be looking into those.

I'm definitely getting more than one, since I know that other pets need company. I'll probably be sticking to 2 rats, since that seems to be working out well for my aunt.
Anna | She/her | Nonbinary
Fictional middle aged
man Enthusiast | I love
Zelda, Pokemon, Sonic,
FFXIV, No More Heroes,
MGR, Okami and Devil May Cry

I love animals in general, I
think marine life is really cool

Fandoms on my Carrd
Carrd | Toyhouse | Click if you dare
Funny video that I change sometimes

(I go by TwilightBard on most platforms)
Johto

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me