Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Day Of Silence » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:33 am

marking
Day Of Silence

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jazi » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:39 am

Imzadi83 wrote:
iAmDiversity wrote:The new thread looks great! ;3;

My foster dog Lucy might get a new home tomorrow. I'm so happy for her cause the people sound like the ideal home I've hoped she would get!!! o3o

I'll keep my fingers crossed for her. :)

@Jazi - Creed is totally rocking those goggles! :D I'd love to take Chloe to OC one day. We'd have to go sometime in October though cause that's the only time pet dogs are allowed. At least in MD, I don't know if OC in Jersey has different rules.

How'd he do with the crowds, smells, etc. It's an overload for the senses of a human, I can't imagine what must go on in a dog's brain.

We went to the Maryland part- there were some pet dogs on the boardwalk itself but not allowed in the shops or on the beach (during off season they're allowed according to the beach signs?). We didn't go on the beach because Link's car is clean and it would have gotten very sandy, but did go into the shops. Kitsune didn't come with us for that reason as well- he wouldn't have been able to do everything we did because he's a pet.

He did really well, actually. The only thing he struggled with was the people who passed us really close with skateboards when we first got there, but once he calmed down he was okay with that too. He was really interested in the super brave pigeons that would walk right up to him, and wanted to eat them, and he was really curious about all the little toys that move and make noise outside of the touristy shops, but otherwise he took it all in stride. He was very good, solid as a rock. Didn't even ask to pee on anything there (which he typically does at the boardwalk on the bay) and held it for several hours until we got back to the parking lot.

Part of having a service dog is having a dog that can take literally anything public access throws at them in stride, not just a dog that's kinda good in public and is task trained. We didn't train for a lot of these things and he certainly wasn't introduced to them as a young puppy because I used to live much farther from any sort of beach or boardwalk than I do now living with Link. Just like with the doggles, he was never exposed to them but accepted them quickly, and it's all a combination of extensive training and just good temperament that enabled him to shrug it off.
Jazi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:53 am

That's wonderful that he did so well. You've done a great job with him. Truthfully the people who pass so close on skateboard intimidate me, so I feel for him.

I only thought pets were allowed in October but I don't remember where I read it or how long it's been. Nice if there's a greater time. I can't imagine us being able to take a vacation again but a girl can dream.

Let us know if you ever take him to Assateague, I'd love to know how he reacts to the horses.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kasper » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:32 am

mark + a few replies!

@transkitty - loving the new layout!
    are you taking applications for nutrition experts?
    @jazi - i love creed's doggles! i'm considering buying lola a pair for car rides because i always worry her eyes will be damaged, but i'm not sure where to buy them.
    @iamdiversity - best of luck!
Kasper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ivory. » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:23 am

work

(#6) --.-

┌───────────────┐

hi! i'm ivory! i play a lot of pet
sites and even some video games
irisid is my v helpful brother! ♥
credits: x / x / x / x

└───────────────┘

┌──────┐

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

└──────┘
xxxxx
┌─────────────────────────┐

Image Image Imagex

└─────────────────────────┘
ivory.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jazi » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:35 am

Honestly I don't know if I'll ever take him there, because of that reason tbh. I wouldn't want to risk him reacting in prey drive to them and scaring or injuring them. Much like a zoo- just because a service dog can go to those places doesn't mean it's safe or fair to take them.

As for the doggles, there are a few places you can buy them online, but a nice pair can be quite expensive. Eventually I'll get them, but these are just little $10 guys.
Jazi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NopesaurusRexx » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:59 am

Quick question: what do you guys do about biting? I know a few different ways that people have used with their dogs when they are biting, but I'm curious of other ways. Harley bit me (not hard, there is no marks and no pain at all, but it was a bite) when I reached out to adjust his harness because it was too loose. I made him sit and gently grabbed his muzzle and told him no. What do you guys do?

"You wanna make yourself useful?"
"Not particularly."

ALL PETS IN THE GROUPS MARKED TRADE GROUP ARE CURRENTLY FREE
NopesaurusRexx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:18 am

I step back, assess how my dog may be feeling (are they feeling sick? In pain?), whether or not triggers have been piling up (like, dog is leash reactive and had seen multiple dogs that day), play the moment back in my head to find any signs the dog may have sent me they were uncomfortable and any possibly warnings, if there were any previous occasions where the dog had been pinched by the harness or signs the dog was uncomfortable with the harness being touched were ignored. I make sure to relax, keep my breathing even, make my body as soft and unthreatening as possible then invite the dog to me. I will then check the fit of the harness to see if it isn't chaffing, rubbing or pinching and then I take the dog home and give us both time to relax. I do not scold dogs ever for giving warning signs (growls, baring teeth, etc) or biting. The vast majority of dog bites happen because of human error, especially owner bites, and true 'out of the blue bites' are extremely rare.

I will not give training or counter conditioning tips over the internet once a dog has bitten. I highly suggest contacting a behaviorist for help.
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:27 am

NopesaurusRexx wrote:Quick question: what do you guys do about biting? I know a few different ways that people have used with their dogs when they are biting, but I'm curious of other ways. Harley bit me (not hard, there is no marks and no pain at all, but it was a bite) when I reached out to adjust his harness because it was too loose. I made him sit and gently grabbed his muzzle and told him no. What do you guys do?

I'd have said no straight after the bite. I would also work out why he bit me and muzzle train just in case, dont grab the muzzle as it puts you in the bite zone.
Also never make a dog do an action he gets rewarded for then punish him its defeating the training.

Last edited by Angelus Gaston on Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mooshidog » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:30 am

Ok my dog HATES getting her teeth brushed.

Any help with that ?
---------------------------
hi, i'm moose and i love you ♡
god, blm, pisces, 2/24/16
---------------------------
Mooshidog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups