.:Pet Amphibian Chat!:. (Frogs,toads,axolotles,newts ect.)

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: .:Pet Amphibian Chat!:. (Frogs,toads,axolotles,newts ect

Postby PeachFuzz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:27 pm

cat;; wrote:Got a sponge filter today.. and I have no clue how it works XD Could someone explain?

The air pump pushes out water through the lift tube and then takes in new water through the sponge. The pockets in the sponge provide area for the good bacteria to develop.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cat;; » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:40 am

There isn't an air pump.. It's just this and there's nothing else.. I know everything is in the package and all but it doesn't move air or water through it it just sits there..
cat;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:47 am

cat;; wrote:There isn't an air pump.. It's just this and there's nothing else.. I know everything is in the package and all but it doesn't move air or water through it it just sits there..

You need an airpump for it to work. Otherwise it will just sit there. Using a sponge filter without a pump is liking using a regular filter without plugging it into an outlet. It does nothing.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cat;; » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:54 am

Oh okay.. Thanks lol I'm dumb

update:
I'm thinking of switching my darling axolotl over to earthworms soon. He's been on blood worms and 1 block doesn't even seem to be enough he eats every last worm of them and attacks at the turkey baster when I am putting the food in the water. How many earthworms can he eat? He's a juvenile and super active and always hungry for more XD
cat;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gecko » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:14 am

Fed the frogletts tody. Some jumbo canadian nightcrawlers (big earthworms).

Went and bought them some of their own individual soaking tubs to feed them in and soak them in, so that there isn't any cross contamination betweent them and/or my geckos so everyone has their own tub now which makes me feel better and makes cleaning easier as I am not as paranoid about bacteria from individuals getting to the other(s).

Zelda as usual ate like a champ. Everything I have read says let them eat till they will not willingly take any more. Well, lets just say that today I didn't limit her and she didn't even want to move for a few minutes after I finished feeding her the last that she would willingly go for hahahaha.

Leon ate pretty good too, though not as well as Zelda. He used to be pretty willing to go after things but he hit a rough patch but seems to be coming out of it again thankfully. He ate quite a few of them cut in half for easier eating.

And of course Mr. I am hungry but will not eat on my own Pax was a butt but I got him to eat maybe 2 1/2 or 3 worms, cut into thirds to make it easier for him to get them down. He did pretty good, I didn't have to force feed him this time just grab the tip of the worm and rub it across his mouth then he would open his mouth and I'd just place the end inside. Spoiled bugger... He won't open anymore when he is done eating, and will just sit there and face the corner of the tub in defiance. I wish he would eat more like Zelda, but I am glad that he got as much as he did down for now.

Pax and Zelda side by side (the goopy yuckiness in Pax's is shed and dirty water from the worms and his dirt. Zelda was done already so I cleaned her tub out and put clean water in for her soak.

Such a chubby girl

Leon Top View + Underwater View

Pax Top View + Underwater View

Zelda Top View + Underwater View (red is blurry sorry)

Love my lil chubby frogletts. ovo They are such a fun species to work with.
Ignore oekaki timers I always leave the tab open >:'D

𝙳𝚒𝚜𝚌𝚘𝚛𝚍 𝙸𝙳
𝚐𝚎𝚌𝚔𝟶 #𝟺𝟽𝟻𝟸
𝙲𝚑𝚎𝚌𝚔 𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚜𝚎 𝚌𝚕𝚘𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚎𝚜!
𝚂𝚒𝚖𝚊 𝙰𝚍𝚘𝚙𝚝𝚜
𝙼𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚊 𝙳𝚘𝚐𝚜
𝚃𝚒𝚗𝚢 𝚃𝚊𝚒𝚕𝘴 𝚁𝚊𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚢

gecko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cat;; » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:56 pm

AH! Guys! So I got my wisdom teeth taken out Monday and I have been in so much pain for the past couple of days, I had my mom, and sister both look after my axi, and they never changed his water! He was swimming in his own filth and when I had the energy I went upstairs to check on him, and his tank was disgusting! I do 30% water changes every single day, and they haven't done it! So of course, I immediately used my net to get out all the poop and other things floating around and began to change the water. After I took out like 70% ( It was so dirty that's all I could do. Almost a complete water change! Poor guy is probably terrified. Anyways, I started to fill up the bucket with new water and put in conditioner and all, and I checked the temps of the leftover water and the new water and it was so off, the hot water heater in my house is broken! I put icecubes in it and everything I could think of and finally added it when it was within 2 degrees of the other water, but poor guy! I was freaking out. And I know a 70% water change was a terrible Idea.. I don't even know what made me think of it, but I was under pain meds and a lot of stress. Hopefully he is going to be okay :( His tank is still unfiltered because I got a sponge filter, but no air pump and when I ordered the dang airpump online it came in but it was the wrong size so now I have to order another one and I hope it'll be in in a few days..

On the bright side, he's finally on earthworms btw. No more messy blood worms! I do plan on getting him a buddy sometime this summer maybe, Hopefully an albino or something. He seems so lonely. But also, all he's in is a 10 gal, so I would have to get a 20 gal :/ idk if it's worth it. Maybe I should just try to keep up with him XD
cat;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jfk » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:38 pm

My frog passed away today. Her name was Sweety, and I had her for 7+ years. My family is 99% she was an African Dwarf frog. We got her when my old neighbor moved out.

Even though she didn't do much, and I couldn't pet her or anything, I still really miss having her in the family.

:(
~the nighttime is almost ours~
jfk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cat;; » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:09 am

Im sorry for your loss, and she lived a great life i'm sure. RIP Sweetie <3
cat;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sweet n sorrow » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:52 pm

This was a long time ago, buuuuut:

One day in summer when I was walking to camp with my mom and sis like every other day in summer when we went to camp, I saw a garden toad on someone's lawn! I wanted to keep it cause it so adorable, so my mom looked around and saw a recycling bin and it had a plastic salad container in it, so we used that to capture it. Ee kept walking to camp and when we got there we showed the camp consoler. We couldn't keep it so my mom walked back home with it. When camp was over she said she had gone to the pet store to buy some crickets or flies((I forget)) and after that my sister said we should let it go, cause we can't keep a pet(we already had one)) and it was a wild toad, so we went to our backyard and let it out<3 this was so long ago, I was 8 or something(currently in double-digits, but won't say exact age cause of some creeps on the Internet)) and I think I might have named it toady?(so original.) but yeah uvu so I had a "pet frog" so a while:3 I really like reptiles and amphibians and stuff more than hamsters and puppies. I'm different, so what?
sweet n sorrow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AquariumQueen » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:44 pm

I love this thread, even if it is a bit slow :p
I do not currently own any amphibians sadly. I've kept African Dwarf Frogs before, but my most recent frog passed away a few weeks ago.
I also really want an axolotl, I just need to buy some more things to set up. I've done a ton of research though, so I'm educated haha
I've also kept a ton of temporary pet toads over the years, either overnight or just catch and release.
I love the fish, ESPECIALLY bettas. Trade me!
I was gone for a couple months, so I'm trying to catch back up on the pets from Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and the month pets during that time.
AquariumQueen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me