Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Lonin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:08 am

c: They're ramshorn snails. Harmless and should just eat detritus. They won't get overpopulated as long as you aren't overfeeding. They could have come in on live plants if you have any.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 am

Lonin wrote:c: They're ramshorn snails. Harmless and should just eat detritus. They won't get overpopulated as long as you aren't overfeeding. They could have come in on live plants if you have any.

Awesome! Odd enough, I do not have any live plants. The only live plants I had in my tank was seaweed from the lake but I had gotten that early spring last year and they have been gone for a while. I noticed the snails after I got new fish. How big do they normally get?
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:44 pm

I would be careful about ramshorns. Personally I would remove it. I had 3 in my tank once, and i put them into a 1 gallon tank with a filter and left it for 2 months. Put very little food in it, once a week maybe. There were hundreds of them, they broke the filter, I ended up tossing the whole tank.
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Naeco wrote:Awesome! Odd enough, I do not have any live plants. The only live plants I had in my tank was seaweed from the lake but I had gotten that early spring last year and they have been gone for a while. I noticed the snails after I got new fish. How big do they normally get?

Weird. They must have come in on something though :D
There are a few different types, if they're mini ones they won't get much bigger than they are already.
What you do with them depends on your snail tolerance.We ended up with mini ramshorns in 6 gallon with a betta and never had any problems.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SuperNinjaDragon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Oh my! A group dedicated to fish! :D This is awesome! I have a question: what does being a member mean? Does it mean you help out other people or are you simply part of the group? Thanks!
(I haven't been very active on CS even though I joined ages ago, so if I don't reply to you I probably didn't realise you even replied/commented)
Image Image
(by odias and Acacia respectively)

Meet me in Flight Rising (^_^)
SuperNinjaDragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:22 am

Lonin wrote:
Naeco wrote:Awesome! Odd enough, I do not have any live plants. The only live plants I had in my tank was seaweed from the lake but I had gotten that early spring last year and they have been gone for a while. I noticed the snails after I got new fish. How big do they normally get?

Weird. They must have come in on something though :D
There are a few different types, if they're mini ones they won't get much bigger than they are already.
What you do with them depends on your snail tolerance.We ended up with mini ramshorns in 6 gallon with a betta and never had any problems.

I am assuming the fish but where I bought them do not carry ramshorns, only apple and mystery. Weird, huh? I am perfectly fine with them, I actually have a soft spot for snails and absolutely love them. The weird thing is that I was going to buy an apple snail due to algae but then these guys popped up.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Snowlondon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:38 am

Username: Snowlondon
How many fish tanks do you have: Just one
Types of fish that you have: Orange mollies, dwarf neon rainbowfish, blue neon show guppies, and dragon head guppies. (All small fish.)
Your fish's names: Oden, Loki, Freyr, Freyja, Tyr, and Triton. (We love mythology.)
How long have you had fish: Only since late December of last year.

Tank:
The orange one is Oden, and the shiny ones are Freyr and Freyja. The small one to the far right is Mr. Glowy, and sadly no longer with us.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxHi, I'm Snowlondon!
xxxxxxxxYou can call me Snow. I use
xxxxxxxxshe/her pronouns, and I love
xxxxxxxxwriting, drawing, and baking.
xxxBest Friend x Art Instagram x My Art Shop
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Snowlondon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cetacea » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:56 am

Hi, I was desperately searching for this thread aha, I knew it existed, but I really need someones personal advice.
So basically, at my siblings school, they had to make a terrarium/ aquarium and my sister's group had a betta fish, and at the end of the project she took the fish home since nobody wanted it, and literally forced it on me, since i already have a betta fish. But the worst part of it was that A) I have no place to put this fish (It's temporarily in a 1 gallon old vase I found, which I know is not good) B) It's dorsal fin is split right down the middle, it's a halfmoon (I believe), and the poor thing is struggling to swim with it. There was no decor in the small bowl she brought home so it looks like some kid literally pulled on it and split it? I don't know how to treat it, and I know they should heal by themselves, but it's not in the best conditions and I need to know if there are any steps I can take to get it better? I've never had a torn fin before.
Edit: I'll post a picture of him as soon as I can, but now looking at it, he has a bit of fin rot as well.
Cetacea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby boston » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:02 am

darrow wrote:
Hi, I was desperately searching for this thread aha, I knew it existed, but I really need someones personal advice.
So basically, at my siblings school, they had to make a terrarium/ aquarium and my sister's group had a betta fish, and at the end of the project she took the fish home since nobody wanted it, and literally forced it on me, since i already have a betta fish. But the worst part of it was that A) I have no place to put this fish (It's temporarily in a 1 gallon old vase I found, which I know is not good) B) It's dorsal fin is split right down the middle, it's a halfmoon (I believe), and the poor thing is struggling to swim with it. There was no decor in the small bowl she brought home so it looks like some kid literally pulled on it and split it? I don't know how to treat it, and I know they should heal by themselves, but it's not in the best conditions and I need to know if there are any steps I can take to get it better? I've never had a torn fin before.

A torn fin should heal on its own, it is much quicker with a filtered tank with a heater.
The best option to do is make sure the water is clean and the parameters are well since it’s temporarily in a vase. c:
be kind to others ♡
she/her
vet tech

ImageImageImage
boston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enacra » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 am

Username: Enzona
How many fish tanks do you have:
29 baby guppies, 5th or 6th generation I have raised
4 Adult male guppies, 1 from previous generation, father of the 29 babies
1 Golden platy (more red in color to me though)
Types of fish that you have:
Molly and guppy
Your fishs' names:
Sadly they are all named Fish.
How long have you had fish:
My first generation of guppies dates back to summer 2015 (or '14, cant remember.) I have had the same strain of guppies until now and almost all my guppies today are the grand grand grand grand children of my first guppies. I actually got my first guppies as a gift from my Headmaster, she was a badass woman and one of my best friends actually. When I had to go to a new school, she cried ;v;.
Enacra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me