Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby LOCW_Bluestarwarrior » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:28 am

Recent picture of my gecko Beep making a mess while eating!
(the splotchy bits on the glass are just water marks from when I mist him lol nothing dirty!)
------------
------------Call me Blue
------------adult // fan of a great
------------many things
------------ImageImageImage
------------
------------
------------ImageImage
------------Art credit - me
------------
LOCW_Bluestarwarrior

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby miissingyou » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:38 am

Ooh I’m so glad I found this thread. I just got a leopard gecko a few weeks back. Haven’t checked gender yet but we were told female, so name is Sonia for now!
She’s my little stalker, loves watching my hand lol.
Worm vs G E C K (linked for size)
She’s albino I believe? Due to the lack of black/dark spots.

Also, a question: if I put my hand in the tank (gently of course, I try not to startle her) she moves rather erratically towards my hand as if it were food for her to eat. This often startles me and I’d just like some tips on how to get used to it as I don’t want to jerk my hand out and scare her :( any ideas? (I always feed her before trying to handle her to make sure she isn’t hungry.)
xx.xxxxxxxxxverna
ཐི❤︎ཋྀ i will be much better then ཐི❤︎ཋྀ
..xxxxxxshe/he/it ♡ adult
xx.xxxxxxpfp by valkry
x.we have lots of people blocked,
xxblock evasion will be reported
miissingyou

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby FLYBOY » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:39 pm

DarkEXE wrote:Ooh I’m so glad I found this thread. I just got a leopard gecko a few weeks back. Haven’t checked gender yet but we were told female, so name is Sonia for now!

Also, a question: if I put my hand in the tank (gently of course, I try not to startle her) she moves rather erratically towards my hand as if it were food for her to eat. This often startles me and I’d just like some tips on how to get used to it as I don’t want to jerk my hand out and scare her :( any ideas? (I always feed her before trying to handle her to make sure she isn’t hungry.)

What worked for me when I was getting used to working with snakes was just telling myself "if I get bit, I get bit" and accepting/preparing myself for it to happen. Of course you probably won't, and if it does happen it's really not that bad, but it's hard to convince your reflexes of that. Just put your hand in the tank (it helps if you put your hand directly on the substrate or a decoration rather than just hanging it there) and tell yourself you're going to keep it there even if she spooks you, you just have to go in and commit to it. It'll be super nerve-wracking the first couple times and then you'll get over it pretty quickly.
xxxxxxxxx
┌──────────────┐
link • eldemore
link • link

────── ──────

male // bi // 18+ // usa
↠formerly rebel scum, reyes, ellis.
↠just here for the rp
↠ trying to finish my eldemore wishlist

└──────────────┘
FLYBOY

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby LOCW_Bluestarwarrior » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:25 pm

DarkEXE wrote:Ooh I’m so glad I found this thread. I just got a leopard gecko a few weeks back. Haven’t checked gender yet but we were told female, so name is Sonia for now!

If it helps at all I regularly feed my brother's Leo and get bitten all the time. I promise it doesn't hurt!
------------
------------Call me Blue
------------adult // fan of a great
------------many things
------------ImageImageImage
------------
------------
------------ImageImage
------------Art credit - me
------------
LOCW_Bluestarwarrior

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raven_Wolf » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:20 am

Anyone ever heard of a Wahlberg's Velvet Gecko? I didn't until I got this little one. He in a temp set up until I can finish his/her bioactive tank like I have for my chahoua. He/she is only a baby at the moment and has a lot of growing to do yet ^-^

ImageImage
Raven_Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby creativity-flows » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:55 pm

hi! sorry if this isnt the correct thread but;; I got a baby beardie named Spire around half a year ago,, ive done loads of research to make sure im taking care of him correctly, of course. My worry, however, is that its been getting very cold recently where I live. I've gotten him the correct lights and such, but I just can't imagine him being warm still. I'm not sure if it's paranoia, but he doesn't really like me holding him all that much, (despite the fact that I feed him lots; this is normal to my knowledge though,) so I'm not sure of what to do in order to try to ensure that he is comfortable. tysm for any help! ^^
-
oh, also, my beardie really doesn't like water all that much. I've tried just about everything;; shallow pools with room temp-warm water. ive tried different temps twice before but, as predicted, he didn't like those at all either /m\. i still, of course, mist him to keep him hydrated, but I'm not sure what to do, or if this is normal.
I love him vv much and just want him to be ok qwq Again, any help is appreciated! ♥

┌─────────┐
hello ! i'm creativity-flows,
feel free to call me flows ^^
my interests are sanders-sides,
danganronpa, musicals, acnh,
& a bunch more! pm's are always
open! <3 she/they; aro/ace;
cancer; hufflepuff;; credit

✧Come check out Notdogs!
Cool people: ☆♡☆ ☆♡☆
└─────────┘

--------------------------------------------------------
*pfp by honggseok!*
creativity-flows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:46 am

creativity-flows wrote:
hi! sorry if this isnt the correct thread but;; I got a baby beardie named Spire around half a year ago,, ive done loads of research to make sure im taking care of him correctly, of course. My worry, however, is that its been getting very cold recently where I live. I've gotten him the correct lights and such, but I just can't imagine him being warm still. I'm not sure if it's paranoia, but he doesn't really like me holding him all that much, (despite the fact that I feed him lots; this is normal to my knowledge though,) so I'm not sure of what to do in order to try to ensure that he is comfortable. tysm for any help! ^^
-
oh, also, my beardie really doesn't like water all that much. I've tried just about everything;; shallow pools with room temp-warm water. ive tried different temps twice before but, as predicted, he didn't like those at all either /m\. i still, of course, mist him to keep him hydrated, but I'm not sure what to do, or if this is normal.
I love him vv much and just want him to be ok qwq Again, any help is appreciated! ♥

hey there! do you have a thermeter and hydrometer to check your levels? what's your hot spot and your temperatures? it would be best to post it here. it would be best to purchase a thermometer gun to determinet the exact temperature of the suface. if you are worried about at night, then i would suggest getting a ceramic heat emitter, they do not emit any light only heat.

as for baths, beardies do not orginate in an environment that have large bodies of water. they should not be bathed often or frequently as it can lead to more issues rather than help. they should only be bathed if they are either impacted, or dehydrated.

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FLYBOY » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Went to a reptile expo today and picked up a couple new snakes! Batik morph blood python and arctic morph hognose ^^ (links because the images are large)
xxxxxxxxx
┌──────────────┐
link • eldemore
link • link

────── ──────

male // bi // 18+ // usa
↠formerly rebel scum, reyes, ellis.
↠just here for the rp
↠ trying to finish my eldemore wishlist

└──────────────┘
FLYBOY

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby foxxbreath » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:59 am

Ive had my ball python for 8-9 years, starting to think she may be a he due to smaller size. always been a regular eater, so i dont think that would cause stunted growth
recently switched from live to f//t for the first time in those 9 years. We tried when i first got her, but she was a baby so i couldn't let her go without food for as long as i would now in the case of a refusal ya know? She took live right away when we tried that so, she's been on live ever since until now

Third f/t feeding today, she decides to pull a smart one and try eating it sideways lol. She got it figured out though
i don't post much about her on CS but - just wanted to share i successfully switched from live, my wallet thanks her, and she tried eating it sideways initially which i found a bit funny
I never had any issues with live, but with bigger prey i figured it'd be more convenient. It takes longer to "set up" feeding because of thawing it and all but im at least able to multitask (like clean her tank) while she does eat, now, and of course it is safer.
Ive always fed in a seperate tub with live just to make supervising easier (im barely 5' so feeding in her enclosure wouldve been hard/risky live). Feeding seperate isn't needed and can be stressful to some snakes, but it's always been our routine and until i can get an enclosure that opens from the front (im hoping for a 4x2x2 at least size wise) im gonna have to keep doing it ya know

I joined a really really nice BP group on facebook that has a ton of really good care sheets. Since all my care methods are things I learned really young when I got her, im excited to upgrade my setup and things. A bit overwhelming, but we'll get there!
    ImageImage
    𝕭𝖊 𝖔𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖎𝖉𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖊𝖘 𝖕𝖊𝖔𝖕𝖑𝖊

𝕭𝖊𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖊 𝖆 𝖌𝖔𝖔𝖉 𝖒𝖆𝖓

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
foxxbreath

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:17 am

I got my first ball python today. I haven't named her yet, but I'm already obsessed. <3

Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me