Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby Burrito Bunny » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:29 am

DaniVik
I'm sorry to hear all that :( You sound like such a good owner, and you clearly love your buns so much. I'm sure they are all very happy with you. I hope everything turns out okay for Kovu, good luck!

King Kakashi
This is a very informative organization: https://rabbit.org
Good luck!
Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:05 am

Burrito Bunny wrote:DaniVik
I'm sorry to hear all that :( You sound like such a good owner, and you clearly love your buns so much. I'm sure they are all very happy with you. I hope everything turns out okay for Kovu, good luck!

King Kakashi
Good luck!

Thank you! Want to be sure I'm doing what's best for a little bun <3

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spectacular. » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:26 am

King Kakashi wrote:
      Can someone please direct me to a proper resource for the best setup for a bunny?
      There is a lone bun at a local rescue I want to adopt. But I want to know what the proper spacing would be and if it would be okay to contain little bun in a smaller cage while I'm away at work.

He's an old fella and has been at this rescue for a long time.

Personally, I don't follow the house rabbits society recommendations.
I find as long as you give them space to sit upright, lay down fully extended, and give them adequate exercise them they are fine.
All mine are kept in 18x24 besides by brood does and litters who are in 24x24 and my flemish who is in a solid bottom 36x24 I believe.
I find as long as they are mentally stimulated, have time out and are interacted with they do perfectly fine.
spectacular.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:28 am

spectacular. wrote:
King Kakashi wrote:
      Can someone please direct me to a proper resource for the best setup for a bunny?
      There is a lone bun at a local rescue I want to adopt. But I want to know what the proper spacing would be and if it would be okay to contain little bun in a smaller cage while I'm away at work.

He's an old fella and has been at this rescue for a long time.

Personally, I don't follow the house rabbits society recommendations.
I find as long as you give them space to sit upright, lay down fully extended, and give them adequate exercise them they are fine.
All mine are kept in 18x24 besides by brood does and litters who are in 24x24 and my flemish who is in a solid bottom 36x24 I believe.
I find as long as they are mentally stimulated, have time out and are interacted with they do perfectly fine.

I have no issue letting them free roam in my room while I'm home. I just want them secured while I'm away at work for the day or while I sleep just to be safe.

Also, I have a dog, so I'm thinking of getting a baby gate for my door that way I can keep the door open for ventilation and still let my cat in and out. (My cat is honestly scared of my rats so he won't bother a bunny).

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spectacular. » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:34 am

@king kakashi
all rabbits need a cage, even if its left open to a larger play area.
it makes them feel secure, kinda like a kennel for a dog.
they have some good ones online that are multi-levels and have ramp doors so they can go in and out with ease.
Depending on the size of the rabbit make sure you get a baby gate tall enough. c:
for example, a dwarf breed would be fine being contained by a two-foot gate but a larger breed would easily jump that size.
spectacular.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby gamorasass » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:36 am

spectacular. wrote:@king kakashi
all rabbits need a cage, even if its left open to a larger play area.
it makes them feel secure, kinda like a kennel for a dog.
they have some good ones online that are multi-levels and have ramp doors so they can go in and out with ease.
Depending on the size of the rabbit make sure you get a baby gate tall enough. c:
for example, a dwarf breed would be fine being contained by a two-foot gate but a larger breed would easily jump that size.

My dog is 80 lbs and huge, so don't worry, the gate will be quite tall lol
      Thank you for your input!

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DaniVik » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:16 pm

Burrito Bunny wrote:DaniVik

King Kakashi
Good luck!

Thank you ♥
The big swelling went back and is really small right now, we did the ultrasound scan and it is filled with some fluid. Maybe it's a haematoma or an abscess, but as it seems to go away on his own we decided not to do the surgery. I just have to look after it and go back if it grows bigger again or if it doesn't go away. The vet removed the other 2 sweelings with local anaesthetization, so we didn't have to put him in narcosis. I had him in my room for 24 hours to be sure he or his friends doesn't lick on the fresh wounds. He is back with them now and his happy self :) next week on friday we have the next vet appointment to remove the stitches. We sent the swellings she cut out to the pathology just to be sure if they are really calcifications. Possibly the results will be there on friday. And on thursday I have a vet appointment with Monty, the vet wants to look at his ear infection again. Hopefully it got better!

And here are some pics of my rabbits and some Informations:

Group 1

Monty, neutered male, some lionhead x lop mixed breed from the shelter, born september 2010

Kovu, male, lionlop mix, son of my former rabbit Nala, born 27.03.2012

Kiano, neutered male, mini lop mix, son of Kovu (his mother is from a friend of mine, she has his 2 brothers), born 17.09.2014

Group 2

Kiara, female, lion lop mix, got her at a pet store (I'm against buying pets at a pet store, but I had to buy her when I saw her. Sadly she is a good example why not to buy at a pet store, she has some problems), born in august 2013

Cookie, neutered male, mixed breed, got him from a breeder who wanted to sold him as a breeding buck for meat rabbits, born in july 2016

Phönix (Phoenix), neutered male, possibly mini lop mix, possibly born around august/September 2017. I walked my dog in a park and was on the way to the parking lot as I saw a pet carrier laying in the bosket. It was right beside the park entrance and looked like thrown away. I went looking if it was something in there and indeed it was this little guy! He had to be around 6-8 weeks when I found him :( as we just lost Princess a few days before we decided to keep him.

This group looks kinda funny when they chill together, cause they are all different in size. Phönix weights only 2 lbs and Cookie weights nearly 9 lbs :lol:
Image & Kiano
DaniVik

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spectacular. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:38 am

i'm pretty sure yall are the only people who will understand.
i did a bad, i was concidering getting into holland lop breeding and my
mentor offered me this buck as my foundation boy. I know I should have
prepared more but he is just so darn cute! Meet Baldwin <3

@DaniVik
It looks like most of those are holland lop mixes. c:
Monty has the common holland "tree trunk" legs.
they are very adorable.
spectacular.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DaniVik » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:09 am

Cute little boy!

Holland Lop could be in some of them, but since I'm from Germany I don't think "real" Holland Lops / Mini Lops were involved. Phönix seemed to be part Mini Lop since he has the typicall face when you put his ears down. He can put them down on himself, but he mostly doesn't do it ^^ I just write "mini lop" most of the time cause I think it's more understandable. The german "Zwergwidder" is kinda the same as a mini lop, but they are different in shape (just google Zwergwidder to see pics). As far as I know holland lops / mini lops carry the dwarf gene? "Zwergwidder" are without the dwarf gene, I think thats why their ears are a little longer and they are a bit bigger. There are some breeders who Import holland and mini lops to breed them here too :)

Kovus results are there and he doesn't have a tumor ♥ I'm so glad. And Montys ear infection went back, so I hope he will be feeling better soon :)
Image & Kiano
DaniVik

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kainé » Tue May 01, 2018 3:17 am

Hey y’all :)
I’d like to know if any of you have ever bonded two rabbits together, and when do you feel it’s safe for them to move in together without any risk of fighting or disagreement between them.

I’m in the process of cementing a bond between two of my bunnies, but there is still some nipping. Not too much but one likes to boss the other around and I still don’t trust them to be on their own yet. 😬
Kainé

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me