Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby elizae » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Little Flower Child wrote:So, I was wondering if Ghost's coloring was any good or possibly rare (probably not). But anywho, I got him from WalMart; before you tell me that it's bad to buy from those places -- I know, I just felt bad for the poor thing and I gave in. Anywho, what would you say about his coloring..? It's kinda unique in my opinion. Click here to see my baby, Ghost.

yup, he's a bit of a special butterfly, or, well, crowntail.

there's some pretty interesting colored bettas. he might have been what the breeder didn't want, so that's why he looks so out-of-the-ordinary. a lot of times, fish in big chain stores are the bottom of the pile. high quality fish are very expensive. i've seen bettas from the same brood go from 5 dollars to 35. it depends on what the outcome is supposed to be vs what actually was produced.

but, congratulations! He's very pretty.
elizae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoomzoombadaboom » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Username: asteroid ricochet.
How many fish tanks do you have: One.
Types of fish that you have: One female veiltail Betta.
Your fishs' names: Haven't decided yet for the Betta, considering the name Aqua. I don't remember my previous fishes' names.
How long have you had fish: I had a few fish a long time ago, cheap little glow fish from Wal-Mart. I just got my new betta fish today.
i quit cs, if any of my old friends see this, thank u for the memories :)
zoomzoombadaboom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tigerlily ❤️ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:50 pm

elizae wrote:
Little Flower Child wrote:-Snip-

yup, he's a bit of a special butterfly, or, well, crowntail.

there's some pretty interesting colored bettas. he might have been what the breeder didn't want, so that's why he looks so out-of-the-ordinary. a lot of times, fish in big chain stores are the bottom of the pile. high quality fish are very expensive. i've seen bettas from the same brood go from 5 dollars to 35. it depends on what the outcome is supposed to be vs what actually was produced.

but, congratulations! He's very pretty.

I'm surprised the breeder wouldn't of wanted him! He's so pretty and thank you for the compliment, Ghost appreciates it (hehe). He may not be high quality to the breedier, but to me he's high quality. <3 He's my boy!
Put your text here - make sure
it is not wider than this!

Signature coding by
sedition.
Tigerlily ❤️

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:18 pm

Floofems<3 wrote:
Yeah, you were right about the poisoning - I checked the parameters as soon as I got home from school and the ammonia had spiked from 0 to 1ppm so I'm guessing that was what killed them. However, I'm really not sure what could have caused the ammonia spike; it may have been with me changing some of the filter media, or maybe one fish got sick and died, then began decomposing and that caused the spike? I'd say the latter is the least likely because the night before they were all swimming around happy and as normal.

That does sound like cycle crash as I believe 1ppm is pretty high(at least that would be the case with nitrite)... Of course the dead fish could have caused the ammonia to rise up even more, but techically when cycle is working as it should there should not be that fast and drastic rise in ammonia/nitrite even if stuff is decomposing. Like I've had one dead fish in my tank probably for couple weeks before I found the body, and the water parameters were fine for the whole time(though I don't have ammonia test, just nitrite and nitrate). Though I think you have smaller tank than I do, and with those the water quality can change much faster.

wildfire456 wrote:Hello! I'm currently keeping guppies in a pond just outside my house. There's a filter and a heater installed, and a water feature to keep the water flowing. The fish seem happy and healthy and they're breeding like crazy.

I live in Australia and we're currently in the middle of a heat wave (with the hottest day supposedly tomorrow). Is there anything I should be concerned about regarding the water temperature of the pond? I've been thinking about manually filling the pond with more cool water over the course of the day but we already have a topping-up system.

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated. This is the first big heat wave we've had since getting the pond fish and I'm not sure if I need to cool them down or not. Thanks!

(Also just for reference the maximum temperature we should hit is like 40 degrees Celsius. It might be higher)

Little late perhaps, but usually water tends to stay cooler than outside temperature, especially if there's lot of it and it's in ground rather than in a container on top of ground level. Just keep the pond well aerated and monitor the water temperature. Guppies are pretty hardy, so I think they can tolerate couple warmer days.
Adding cold water to replace the vaporated water is good. I know some people even add ice cubes to their tanks when the temps start to rise too high too quick.

valiant. wrote:thanks to everyone's help on here i created my set up for my betta yesterday! :)
so here and here is my finished 5 gallon, planning to cycle it for a few weeks before getting the fish!
planted amazon sword and some java fern with a mix of gravel and white sand!
i would love any further advice and tips for the tank. in these pictures the water hadn't settled completely yet, and after some advice from the tumblr community i took the roots of the java fern out of the soil so they would grow properly!

Looks like nice set up. :) Just remember to keep those plants fed even before you get the betta. What cycling method do you plan on using?

.sav wrote:Howdy, I need a lot of help with something...

So my dad gave me his old 20 gallon tank that he hasn't used in years and I want to eventually get a divider to it and put Mufasa and a new betta in it. However, this tank has had water in it and has been sitting in front of a window for a few years, so there's a ton of algae on it to be cleaned, but it comes with a filter (that I need to buy filter cartridges for) and a heater... So on top of starting a cycle I'm going to be sending a few days cleaning it XD

Basically, I have two questions:

1) Mufasa is already in a cycled tank... How would I move him from his little three gallon tank to the 20 gal? The move is obviously not going to be for weeks because the new tank needs to cycle, but I'm worried about changing his tank. I've never changed a fish's home before

When moving fish you do basically the same thing you do when introducing new fish to your tank. Though you might be able to skip the temperature evening phase as I'd assume you are able to move him pretty quick and have the new tanks temp same as the old one's. 3gal is pretty small, so I might actually just empty some of it's water to the new tank, and then add some of the new tank's water gradually into the old tank until it's about 50:50 ratio between old and new water and then move him over to the new tank.
Cycling the new tank is going to be pretty easy as you already have one that's cycled. c; Just stick the new filter materia into the old tank for somedays(if they fit in there that is) and they should pick up the good bacterias, and then you can also run the filter from the 3gal in the 20 gal for some days after moving your fish to spread out even more bacterias. You could also take what ever bottom material you have in the 3 gal, put it in a cut off pantyhose and keep it in the new tank, since bacterias are all over the surfaces of cycled tank.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby valiant. » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:33 am

Hime wrote:
valiant. wrote:thanks to everyone's help on here i created my set up for my betta yesterday! :)
so here and here is my finished 5 gallon, planning to cycle it for a few weeks before getting the fish!
planted amazon sword and some java fern with a mix of gravel and white sand!
i would love any further advice and tips for the tank. in these pictures the water hadn't settled completely yet, and after some advice from the tumblr community i took the roots of the java fern out of the soil so they would grow properly!

Looks like nice set up. :) Just remember to keep those plants fed even before you get the betta. What cycling method do you plan on using?

i'm using an old filter and i've put some food in for a bit as well, it seems to be working so far!
valiant.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby StrikingEmber36 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Sorry I haven't been posting! School is hard ^^" Trying to get my grades up! Anyways, Im' overrun with guppies. I have over 50 fish right now. When they get to be two months, I believe a local fish store is going to take them in. I wish I knew how to ship fish though! Would anyone here be interested in guppies if I do end up shipping them?
@Little Flower Child
He is absolutely beautiful! I'm not a big fan of yellow-y fish in general, but wow does it suit him. But, I also have a soft spot for crowntails c;
I took some pictures of the bettas tonight, Kessel actually posed for once!
Image megan ~ she/they Image
hello! i make art sometimes
pls disregard my old stuff, i've been on this site since i was a literal child
i like to draw, roleplay, and trade!
i have a service dog and love dogs+fish!!
user since 2011 | previously JiminSpazz | x
StrikingEmber36

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tigerlily ❤️ » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:35 pm

JiminSpazz wrote:Sorry I haven't been posting! School is hard ^^" Trying to get my grades up! Anyways, Im' overrun with guppies. I have over 50 fish right now. When they get to be two months, I believe a local fish store is going to take them in. I wish I knew how to ship fish though! Would anyone here be interested in guppies if I do end up shipping them?
@Little Flower Child
He is absolutely beautiful! I'm not a big fan of yellow-y fish in general, but wow does it suit him. But, I also have a soft spot for crowntails c;

Thank you so much! That is actually orange, but it looks yellow because of camera quality; I wasn't a big fan of those colors either until I saw him. c: I'd love to see your bettas.

Signature coding by
sedition.
Tigerlily ❤️

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby StrikingEmber36 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:34 am

Little Flower Child wrote:
JiminSpazz wrote:Sorry I haven't been posting! School is hard ^^" Trying to get my grades up! Anyways, Im' overrun with guppies. I have over 50 fish right now. When they get to be two months, I believe a local fish store is going to take them in. I wish I knew how to ship fish though! Would anyone here be interested in guppies if I do end up shipping them?
@Little Flower Child

Thank you so much! That is actually orange, but it looks yellow because of camera quality; I wasn't a big fan of those colors either until I saw him. c: I'd love to see your bettas.

Well I have quite a lot of bettas XD Here is Kessel, my crowntail. Icho one of my twin tails, Tarou, my other twin tail, Jupiter my halfmoon, Ocean-Pony, who is a veil tail, and lastly Calypso my female crowntail. I have too many guppies to take pictures of, though XD
Image megan ~ she/they Image
hello! i make art sometimes
pls disregard my old stuff, i've been on this site since i was a literal child
i like to draw, roleplay, and trade!
i have a service dog and love dogs+fish!!
user since 2011 | previously JiminSpazz | x
StrikingEmber36

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tigerlily ❤️ » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:41 am

JiminSpazz wrote:
Little Flower Child wrote:
@Little Flower Child

Well I have quite a lot of bettas XD Here is Kessel, my crowntail. Icho one of my twin tails, Tarou, my other twin tail, Jupiter my halfmoon, Ocean-Pony, who is a veil tail, and lastly Calypso my female crowntail. I have too many guppies to take pictures of, though XD

Oh my gosh! All of them are beautiful, especially Calypso. I've never been a fan of female bettas but she was actually really pretty! :)

Signature coding by
sedition.
Tigerlily ❤️

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoomzoombadaboom » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Hello, fellow fish owners! I just got my first Betta, Aqua, a female veiltail, a couple days ago. We just introduced her to her new tank, a 3 gallon water garden, yesterday. I was just wondering if other betta owners have noticed that their fish hardly eats the first and second day after getting home from the pet store? Just to check that it's normal. I don't know what she was being fed at the pet store we bought her from, but she appeared healthy, and I am now feeding her pellets. When I drop them in the tank, she eats some, but never over half of them, and lets them either sit at the top or sink most of the time. I've been giving her the minimum recommended amount on the food; 6 tiny pellets, twice a day. Am I doing something wrong?
i quit cs, if any of my old friends see this, thank u for the memories :)
zoomzoombadaboom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me