Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby satuurnity » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:28 am

Hime wrote:
valiant. wrote:
    hi guys! for the past couple months i've wanted to buy myself a betta and i'm getting fairly serious about it now, so i'd like to ask a few questions!
    i'm planning on a 3-5 gallon tank and i'm leaning towards using live plants to prevent damage to the fish fins. one thing i'm not too sure on is what gravel/sand these plants can grow in, i would really like to use a white sand, and in some videos that i've watched this has sufficed for live plants. i'm just curious as to what you guys use!
    another thing i'm not sure on is how often you should clean the water and what percentage that should be at. i've seen a lot of differing opinions and i'm curious as to what you guys do?
    one last thing i'm having troubles deciding on is a sponge filter, what are your personal favourites?

thank you!! :)

Plants aren't that picky about what they grow in, some don't even like their roots being burried. Too coarse gravel of course makes it harder for them to stick onto it with their roots. Too fine sand on other hand can clogg up and the roots won't get oxygen and nutrients properly as there's not enough flow to them. With white sand you need to make sure it doesn't contain anything that can dissolve into the slightly accidic water you want to go for with a betta. So basically anything coral sand etc. is bad in freshwater tank, as that will just boost the KH level and probably GH level as well, which you don't really want super high. I have some natural brown-ish mix sand in my tank. Can't remember the grain size of it anymore, but it's bit coarser than say average beach sand. Also keep in mind sand and gravel need bit different treatment when using the siphon/gravel vacuum.

You should do water change at least once a week imo, how large depends on the tank. Each tank is little different when it comes to water changes, so you kinda need to learn how your tank functions to figure out exactly how often and how much you need to change the water. How it's stocked and how much/what you're feeding in relation to the size are usually the things to take into considerations. Generally if doing weekly change 30-50% is okay size for the change, smaller than that doesn't do much to reduce nitrates(or allow you to clean up the bottom properly) etc. in the water and bigger one might swing the values too much. If doing two changes per week I wouldn't do 50% changes. So usually with new tanks it's good to monitor the nitrate value for couple weeks after the tank is fully functioning, to see how fast they move up, and also follow up how much poop there's to be seen(light sand is good and bad in this matter, since you can easily see if it's dirty or not). And then adjust your water change rutine accordingly. With planted tanks the nitrate value can be miss leading, since plants eat that up, so for example in my tank I can leave the water unchanged for two weeks with fish being fed every other day and there's very little rise in the nitrate reading. But I can still tell the water is 'dirty' as there's usually quite bit of poop on the bottom. Personaly I tend to stick to 33% once a week(sometimes I might stretch it to 8-9 days), with occasional 40-50% if the tank starts to look little too messy.

I wish you luck on getting a fishy pet in the future, and remember to cycle the tank before getting the fish. :)

Floofems<3 wrote:So I woke up this morning and every one of my five neon tetras are dead... I'm really upset about it because I know it was something I did wrong. I haven't had chance to check the parameters yet as I have an exam this morning, but I'm guessing it was either that or when I did the water change last night I changed half of the filter, which could have had something in it? Less likely but also possible is the fertilisers I've been using (although I've been using them for a while and they've been fine), a dish sponge I've been using to clean the glass (same story as with the fertiliser) or I could have put too much water conditioner into the water? Another possibility is I was under feeding them, but if I was I doubt they would all die at the same time.

They were fine last night :(

Very sorry to hear that. :( Sometimes things just happen with fish and the reason remains a mystery... All fish dying at once how ever does point out to poisoning of some sort or lack of oxygen, rather than disease which are usually more slowly killers. When using tap water there's always a possibility that it's consistency changed somehow and it had something in it that didn't get removed properly with the usual dose of water conditioner. The water conditioners shouldn't be dangerous if over dosed though and I doubt the fertilisers are either, though those can cause some irritation if fish gets direct hit from undiluted product but still not leathal. If the sponge hasn't come in contact with any sort of chemical(like it hasn't been used for anything else but the tank cleaning) I don't think that's it either...
The filter material change may have caused imbalance and thus nitrite spike, but the material itself probably wasn't the problem. Usually it's recommended you rinse out new materials to get rid of any dust etc., but still even without doing that I really doubt they'd have something very harmfull in them. Nitrite spike though would have had to be pretty big to kill the fish that fast or the fish would have needed to be weaked by something already before the spike. When I was setting up my tank some years ago, I remember some local fish people saying neons really weren't as hardy as they used to be and more than often were quite sickly and sensitive. So who knows, but sudden mass death is most likely from poisoning of some sort...

Shikajino wrote:Username: Shikajino
How many fish tanks do you have: 1; a five gallon that I upgraded from the measly one gallon I was allowed in college
Types of fish that you have: 2 Angel Fish; 1 Pleco; 1 Veil Tale Male Betta
Your fishs' names: Moo; Two Stripe; Lucky-Lucky; I.B. (which is short for Impulse Buy because he was the first thing I bought after college and he was incredibly unplanned)
How long have you had fish: About 12 years. I used to have a 10 and a 20 gallon from ages 10-17, then I went to college and we sold it all off. Then I could only have a one gallon (which wasn't nearly enough space and the fish died, so I stopped), but now that I graduated (and with my other pets) I only have space for a five gallon.

I really hope you are aware that the angel fishes and pleco will need much much bigger tank to grow healthy. :|

Yeah, you were right about the poisoning - I checked the parameters as soon as I got home from school and the ammonia had spiked from 0 to 1ppm so I'm guessing that was what killed them. However, I'm really not sure what could have caused the ammonia spike; it may have been with me changing some of the filter media, or maybe one fish got sick and died, then began decomposing and that caused the spike? I'd say the latter is the least likely because the night before they were all swimming around happy and as normal.
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wildfire456 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Hello! I'm currently keeping guppies in a pond just outside my house. There's a filter and a heater installed, and a water feature to keep the water flowing. The fish seem happy and healthy and they're breeding like crazy.

I live in Australia and we're currently in the middle of a heat wave (with the hottest day supposedly tomorrow). Is there anything I should be concerned about regarding the water temperature of the pond? I've been thinking about manually filling the pond with more cool water over the course of the day but we already have a topping-up system.

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated. This is the first big heat wave we've had since getting the pond fish and I'm not sure if I need to cool them down or not. Thanks!

(Also just for reference the maximum temperature we should hit is like 40 degrees Celsius. It might be higher)
wildfire456

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shikajino » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Hime wrote:
Shikajino wrote:Username: Shikajino
How many fish tanks do you have: 1; a five gallon that I upgraded from the measly one gallon I was allowed in college
Types of fish that you have: 2 Angel Fish; 1 Pleco; 1 Veil Tale Male Betta
Your fishs' names: Moo; Two Stripe; Lucky-Lucky; I.B. (which is short for Impulse Buy because he was the first thing I bought after college and he was incredibly unplanned)
How long have you had fish: About 12 years. I used to have a 10 and a 20 gallon from ages 10-17, then I went to college and we sold it all off. Then I could only have a one gallon (which wasn't nearly enough space and the fish died, so I stopped), but now that I graduated (and with my other pets) I only have space for a five gallon.

I really hope you are aware that the angel fishes and pleco will need much much bigger tank to grow healthy. :|

Yes, yes! I've had them in the past! They're all quite small now, and I'm rearranging to get everything set up so I can get a larger tank for them; no need to worry! :) Thank you for checking though! My end goal is to just have I.B. the betta in the 5 gallon when I'm done getting things sorted
All The World's a stage and I can't escape my monologue
Shikajino

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tigerlily ❤️ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:56 am

Username: Little Flower Child
      How many fish tanks do you have: Two! c:
      Types of fish that you have: 1 crown tail betta, 2 platies, and a plecostomus!
      Your fishs' names: Betta: Ghost, male platy: Brutus, female platy: Jasmine, and the plecostomus is named Oscar!
      How long have you had fish: I have had my betta for a few months now, my last one died of old age. The other three fish I've had for almost a week now, I decided that I wanted more fish.

I'm excited to join the club! I absolutely adore fish.
Put your text here - make sure
it is not wider than this!

Signature coding by
sedition.
Tigerlily ❤️

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby valiant. » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:28 am

thanks to everyone's help on here i created my set up for my betta yesterday! :)
so here and here is my finished 5 gallon, planning to cycle it for a few weeks before getting the fish!
planted amazon sword and some java fern with a mix of gravel and white sand!
i would love any further advice and tips for the tank. in these pictures the water hadn't settled completely yet, and after some advice from the tumblr community i took the roots of the java fern out of the soil so they would grow properly!
valiant.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tigerlily ❤️ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:34 am

valiant. wrote:thanks to everyone's help on here i created my set up for my betta yesterday! :)
so here and here is my finished 5 gallon, planning to cycle it for a few weeks before getting the fish!
i would love any further advice and tips for the tank. in these pictures the water hadn't settled completely yet, and after some advice from the tumblr community i took the roots of the java fern out of the soil so they would grow properly!

(If you've been told this already I'm sorry. ^^)
Lovely tank set up! Also, before getting fish remember to condition the water so it'll help calm the fish and the water will be more healthy! :)

Signature coding by
sedition.
Tigerlily ❤️

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby valiant. » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:10 am

Little Flower Child wrote:
valiant. wrote:thanks to everyone's help on here i created my set up for my betta yesterday! :)

(If you've been told this already I'm sorry. ^^)
Lovely tank set up! Also, before getting fish remember to condition the water so it'll help calm the fish and the water will be more healthy! :)

don't worry, it's already conditioned and i've been checking the ph. c;
valiant.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tigerlily ❤️ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:12 am

valiant. wrote:don't worry, it's already conditioned and i've been checking the ph. c;

Good good! :) Keep updates, I love seeing new tanks!

Signature coding by
sedition.
Tigerlily ❤️

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lorne » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:28 am

Howdy, I need a lot of help with something...

So my dad gave me his old 20 gallon tank that he hasn't used in years and I want to eventually get a divider to it and put Mufasa and a new betta in it. However, this tank has had water in it and has been sitting in front of a window for a few years, so there's a ton of algae on it to be cleaned, but it comes with a filter (that I need to buy filter cartridges for) and a heater... So on top of starting a cycle I'm going to be sending a few days cleaning it XD

Basically, I have two questions:

1) Mufasa is already in a cycled tank... How would I move him from his little three gallon tank to the 20 gal? The move is obviously not going to be for weeks because the new tank needs to cycle, but I'm worried about changing his tank. I've never changed a fish's home before

2) What would be a good divider for a 20 gallon tank?

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 16 people.
I have received 10 gifts.

₊˚⊹. ☾ Aria ☆ she/her ☆ Art shop ☽ .⊹˚₊Image
Lorne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tigerlily ❤️ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:20 pm

So, I was wondering if Ghost's coloring was any good or possibly rare (probably not). But anywho, I got him from WalMart; before you tell me that it's bad to buy from those places -- I know, I just felt bad for the poor thing and I gave in. Anywho, what would you say about his coloring..? It's kinda unique in my opinion. Click here to see my baby, Ghost.

Signature coding by
sedition.
Tigerlily ❤️

My pets
My items
My wishlist