Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby PeachFuzz » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:35 pm

JiminSpazz wrote:Hello guys! Just a quick update:
Aggie, my female veiltail, has passed away. She had a really bad case of popeye, then eventually swimbladder problems and dropsy.
She was hanging on and suffering and I was going to put her down, but when I came home... it looked like she... exploded... maybe she ate something she wasn't supposed too? I don't know. she only pooped twice the entirety she was in the hospital tank too, (two weeks) so I really don't know exactly what when wrong or what I did wrong.
And I have a question for ya'll, because as of now all of my bettas are living with guppy fry, do you think that bettas are entirely solitary creatures?
this question was brought up on a betta fourm I am on, and I thought it was very interesting.
my point of view on this is that no, I do not think bettas are entirely solitary creatures. I think in the wild it'd be almost impossible for a betta not to encounter another fish, but not necessarily another betta. you know what I mean? obviously, you can create betta sororities, but this probably does not happen in the wild and the females will probably get frustated with their small territory and is why most sororities don't end well. And male bettas are sometimes put in communities, and do just fine. But I believe this myth that 'bettas kill everything in their tank' should stay though. Because most people keep bettas in smaller tanks, I think it'd be best for innocent guppies, female bettas, and even other male bettas get slaughtered.
What do you think?

I'm sorry to hear about Aggie. You didn't necessarily do anything wrong; sometimes things just happen, out of our control.

Betta splendens are solitary by nature in the sense that they aren't naturally inclined to seek out other fish outside of breeding and food purposes. This doesn't mean they can't get along with other fish. I've successfully kept community tanks with a betta centerpiece and less successfully kept sororities (would never suggest).
"Betta splendens will always kill any other fish" is a myth just as much as "all Betta splendens will do fine with other fish" is. I don't think spreading false information is the best way to help fish-keepers and their fish.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scuttlefish » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:27 am

Hime wrote:
sugar pixel . wrote:Thanks! I'll see if I can modify the cartridges and take out the carbon, as it doesn't look too hard. Perhaps I can try to craft some cartridge with some coarser filter material at my LFS? I mean, it's pretty much filter material with plastic connected to it to keep it in place.
Could I stick a bag of Biomax aquarium noodles in it? Would it help it filter better?
Strange about the heater. I've yet to start cycling it, as the stand hasn't arrived, but I'll definetely test it out! I'll get an actual thermometer, as the sticker thermometer in the set isn't very reliable.

How long will it take to cycle a 55 gallon tank? What if I used some sort of start-up bacteria product?

Some manufacturers make different types of filter media/cartridges that's specifically made for their filters, so maybe do some googling if that may be an option? Any modification you do is at your own risk pretty much and if they end up breaking the filter, or even if not but it still breaks, guarantees usually don't apply anymore. But generally if it's not something too crazy and doesn't really disturb the way the filter works, then why not. I've added some more bio material into my U3's biomax box and don't run it with fine filteration/active carbon pads and so far so good. I even considered filling up my PickUp with biomaterial instead of the sponge it has, but decided that may not be the best idea and the sponge does good job. :lol: Just keep in mind more stuff there is in the filter the slower the water circulation through it will be, especially if it's very fine/dense stuff. Some brands actually give their filters output as it would be without any media in the filter and then they also give what it is with their recommended medias in the filter. Would altering the content make it better filter, that I don't know. Would depend on how it runs with modifications and what sort of mess the fish make. Biomasses generally do improve the biological filteration, given there's enough oxygen, but their mechanical filteration aspect is not always the most useful.

I don't think size matters when it comes to cycling a tank, so about a month probably give or take some. ^^ Start-up bacterias can unfortunately be hit and miss quite often. Not all the products even contain both sorts of needed bacterias, or so I've been told. Tetra and Prodibio's products have best success rates as far as I know, though that may be old information as I haven't lately looked into what's the new thing when it comes to cycling tanks. Ton of people around me have started their tanks with bacteria products with no issues at all. But I do it, and the cycle crashes on the 2nd or 3rd day. Then I battled nitrite for 1,5 weeks I think? Sure it ended up eventually cycling faster than with the classic cycle process, but the fish I had gotten were exposed to nitrite and most seemed to end up with some internal damage as they died fairly quickly. Basically with most bacteria products you need to add the fish usually 24-48 hours after adding the product. Othervise the bacteria will die as they got nothing to 'eat'. They say add only one 3rd of the planned stock first so the bacterias won't be over loaded. Now I got less than that so not sure if that was my issue... The general recommendation at one point also was that you don't use bacteria products with the traditional ammonia fishless cycle. Said they didn't work well together.

Okay, thanks for the informartion! I'll probably end up using the regular fishless cycle, I don't want to risk dead fish!
Is there any easy to care for plants that don't need extra light? They just need fertilizer tabs or something every week?
I used to be sugar pixel .

Microllama Adoption Center

scuttlefish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keletheryl » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Help!

I noticed tonight that my female betta has these white spots on her eyes... Everything I looked up said that it was because of bad water quality, but our water quality is fine... any other reason why she might be like this?? She's also more pale than usual, but looks otherwise healthy.

Here's what our test kit said:

GH: 30
KH: 40
PH: 6.5
NO2: 0
NO3: 20

╭━━━━━━━━╮
• Stamps •

╰━━━━━━━━╯
╭━━━━━━━━╮
• Credit •
NebulaWolf
╰━━━━━━━━╯
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╭━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╮
• Bio •
Hello! My name is Keletheryl. I love
all things fantasy or mythological. I
live in Canada, BC! I am an animal
lover and own lots of pets! See you
around!

╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯

Keletheryl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:21 am

Just planning ahead for the future here; I want to let my pleco get as big as I can and he will be living in his own tank in about 1.5 years maybe less not sure. Trying to decide what size tank to go with. Smallest tank he can comfortably fit in? Either 55 gallons or 75...I know 75 works good because my Lfs has one in a 75. However would a 55 work? With no other fish in it?
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:38 am

@sugar pixel.: Googled that tank kit you got, and I see it has LED lights... I haven't really heard many good things when it comes to tanks that come with LED lights. The DIY LEDs work great for most when build properly, but the kit versions not to much(I'd look for any feedback about this tank from persons who have live plants). Also based on the manufacturers page the tank ends up with mere 3 lumens per liter, which is very very low(easy/low light plants are considered to need 10-20 lumens per liter). So your odds of keeping plants nice and healthy is not that high. But plants are weird and sometimes they manage despite the odds. You could try anubias, cryptocorynes, valisneria, hygrophilas, limnophila, microsorum... But avoid any red variations there may be, since at least from my experience those really need quite strong light to survive.
Liquid fertilizer once a week is usually easiest way(usually best to add day after a water change, as some water conditioners may 'lock up' the nutrients if fertilizer is added at the same time). Root tabs usually should last weeks, but they are only effective on small-ish area, where as liquid spreads around the tank. Also if you end up with plants that aren't planted in the ground, liquid is definetly the way to go.

@Crum: What sort of pleco he is exactly? There are many sorts and some stay manageble size while others can grow absolutely massive. Like for bristlenose 27gal will do usually just fine, as that specie usually doesn't grow super big. Though I've seen few males who ended up bigger than average. For some really massive species I'm not sure that a 75gal would be enough. ^^'
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:59 am

@hime he's just a regular common pleco. I know the 75 gallon is fine but I'm just wondering if I'd be able to get away with a 55 gallon since they're cheaper and take up a bit less space
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:12 am

Crum wrote:@hime he's just a regular common pleco. I know the 75 gallon is fine but I'm just wondering if I'd be able to get away with a 55 gallon since they're cheaper and take up a bit less space

I wouldn't go with a 55. Many common plecos outgrow 75g but it's a good minimum.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WhiteWater ; » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:37 am

Crum wrote:Just planning ahead for the future here; I want to let my pleco get as big as I can and he will be living in his own tank in about 1.5 years maybe less not sure. Trying to decide what size tank to go with. Smallest tank he can comfortably fit in? Either 55 gallons or 75...I know 75 works good because my Lfs has one in a 75. However would a 55 work? With no other fish in it?

I second with what Peachfuzz said! I used to own (until we moved and I had to hand him down to a close friend of mine) a common pleco who started off in a 55 gallon. It seemed lot's big at the time and even for the first little bit - and although 55 may be big for some common plecos, that's not always the case as each fish tend to differ in size. My boy easily reached 20-22 inches and was upgraded to a 90 gallon.

Owning several large tanks, I can also say that in the end - if you have access to both a 55 gallon and a 75 gallon, go the largest you can get. not only is it good to have extra room to work with (literally!) and for a bit higher of a price, the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain and keep clean!

Another thing, is keep in mind common plecos spend a lot of their time on the bottom of the tank, when they're not on décor or the sides of the glass. They don't often swim back and forth in the mid/high levels of the water, meaning it's not so much the true gallons of the tank that matters (obviously it does - you can't house a common pleco in say a 20 or 30 gallon - happily at least) but the dimensions. A tank with a wider bottom surface area is better for plecos!
────────────
bree | female canadian | reptiles | fish | cars
hello there! i'm whitewater, but you can call me white or bree!
i'm simply a weird atlantic canadian who has a fascination with cars,
reptiles, photography, dead things and drawing! feel free to shoot
me a pm if you just simply want to talk,
or if I could help you with anything!
────────────────────
discord: WhiteWater #2061
toyhouse: whitewater
commissions: art shop
art trades: open
────────────
WhiteWater ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:38 pm

So I have a pleco that has not grown recently and was wondering if he was a bristlenose or common. I bought him from meijer so I don't exactly trust that their identification is correct. They said he was a common.

Here are the links to his pictures.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPFkdnEBPQd ... y=skai.dog
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPFkZTvhvC7 ... y=skai.dog
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sharklava14 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Hello! My friend who is COPPA'd had something to say :

Hello! So I'm not currently a fish owner but I have been in the past but I am thinking about getting a male beta fish/Siamese fighting fish? (I think that's the other name) anyway, I thought you guys would be the perfect people to tell me if their longer lives and smarter brains are worth the weekly tank clean and interaction. Please PM my friend Sharklava14 here and she will be sort of the messenger, thanks for your support! My username is malluvsduckies btw for any of you traders :thumbup:
sharklava14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me