Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Imzadi83 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:04 pm

hyde wrote:(bit of back story on the dogs, skip if you want the problem)

Pippin is a jack-russel x chihuahua cross. He is seven years old (had him when I was quite little, too little to own a dog in my opinion) and more or less, trained himself. I think he used to bark at dogs, but I am unsure as that was many years ago. He wasn't really allowed out to be taken on walks as we were in a big city. Large dogs walked off-lead and had mauled our neighbours chihuahua x jack russell, who was on a lead. We've moved, so he's started going on walks and loves it! Now, he doesn't bark at dogs on walks yet doesn't like 'em getting too close and will edge away. He walks on a retractable lead (by flexir) that's pretty much always loose. I like it this way, and only tighten the length of the lead when he stops to sniff other dogs urine, food on the road or to mark his territory (which I let him do in the park). I don't think I'd like to have him off-lead, though as he is epileptic. If he were to run away and I couldn't catch him, a night alone could lead to his death as he'd seizure.

Atlas is a year and a bit old, and a fully bred, perfect health chihuahua. We got him off of a friend who has been breeding KC Registered chihuahua's for a while. It is nice because she comes round with Atlas' family often, and he very much remembers them.

the problem
Atlas does have anxiety. When I open the dog cupboard and get out the harnesses and leads, he'll run into his crate and whimper. I've tried separately walking the dogs yet he hates being away from Pip, who doesn't mind being away from Atlas.
He barks at other dogs (but not aggressively) and tries to pull on his harness, in an attempt to meet them. There are no parks near me that are barred off, so he's never been off lead. He has got the body shape of a greyhound and, believe me, can run. His harness can't fit his body shape. We've tried xs, s and m but none work because of his weird body shape (i'll try and get pictures if anyone wants) and so was wondering what I could do to train him? I've seen harnesses designed to tighten when they lunge so it stops the pull but my mom said that was cruel? I've also seen vibrate collars that stop barking (i wouldn't want to shock him).

First thing is I would get Atlas off the retractable leash (you didn't say if you're using it for him too). The ability to pull and get more leash and get closer to the dogs can contribute to his anxiety. Also by using this you are teaching Atlas to pull on leash. It also distracts him from paying attention to you instead of getting to the other dog. If you want more leash for him I'd recommend a long line. That way you can give him more leash when he isn't pulling instead of him pulling to get more leash. Honestly though I wouldn't give him that much freedom right now on walks, save that for parks/yards.

It depends on where the harness tightens whether I'd consider it cruel or not. By itself though it may not solve the problem as it doesn't for a lot of dogs. For some dogs is just increases their anxiety. Front clip harnesses can be of help but no harness is a substitute for training. I'll link you a video playlist on loose leash walking which also contains videos on reactive barking. Also pay attention to giving into leash pressure and "let's go". At some point you may need to do some counter-conditioning as well.

Start working on loose leash walking indoors in boring environment, then in your yard, etc. If he's attached to Pippin you could use him to help if you have a helper. Walk them together as long as Atlas is on a loose leash, if he pulls Atlas stops and Pippin continues. He may be encouraged to keep the leash loose if he knows it's the only way he can keep up with his buddy (in this case you are using Pippin's proximity as a reward for keeping the leash loose). If he becomes over aroused by Pippin walking away have Pippin turn around and go the other way and walk with him as he goes past, practice this back and forth in front of your house before taking it on a longer round the block type walk.

Remember to up criteria slowly, offer high value rewards when you up the criteria, and that setbacks happen.

Loose Leash Walking Videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFy6kjcK22M&list=PL7287C737FB745168

Harness Help - You may need to desensitize him to getting ready to go on a walk since this alone is causing him stress. You can do by paring going for the leash/harness with a treat. Do it at random times a day but don't take him on a walk. Practice both picking up the stuff and putting it on/off him. Also teaching him to help put his harness on may give him a sense of control and up his confidence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7edMjwEY1c

What kind of harnesses have you tried, brand wise? Also what type, roman, step in, etc? Chloe was a tough fit too, I lost count how many I tried and sent back. Here are some I recommend...

My Canine Kids - I'm pretty sure Chloe's is this one https://cloakanddawggie.com/collections/dog-harnesses-vests/products/copy-of-1101-precision-fit-dog-harness-nylon-step-in It's my favorite harness for her and is her go to in nice weather. It's soft, has a reflective trim, and a double D-Ring for safety. I personally don't feel safe relying on just velcro in a harness so although this uses velcro with the two D-rings I feel safe with this one. It's gotten a little dingy over the years but has washed up well. The company also makes other styles now...https://cloakanddawggie.com/collections/dog-harnesses-vests and you can likely find better prices if you shop around online.

Lupine - https://www.lupinepet.com/store/dogs/dog-harnesses/roman-dog-harnesses I have a Roman Style harness I use for cooler weather to go over her clothes. It's very adjustable and comes in a variety of colors and patterns. The only downside is it takes me longer to put on because I get it tangles and the weight of the leash pulls the back part to one side. I also like that you can get matching leashes in a 4-foot and thinner sized length. I appreciate that larger dogs need heavier leashes for safety, but for the little ones it can be too much weight.

Rope-N-Go - http://www.ropengo.com/ I bought this mainly to use in the tub. I don't know about walking Chloe in it because she's hairless and it comes up a little too close under the arms for my liking with her being hairless. But the rope is soft so it may not be a problem especially for a fur covered dog. You can get it pretty snug without it being too tight. Also if your dog has unique measurements/size fit they will do a custom harness.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TedTed13 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:15 pm

Hi, I just saw this thread on the front page and decided to mark and post.
I have a female Yorkie, named Tippy, that is about 4 years old. She is my first dog and I got her in July 2018.
I'm still pretty new to owning a dog, so I will probably be posting with questions, comments, and such in the future.
TedTed13

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:40 pm

TedTed13 wrote:Hi, I just saw this thread on the front page and decided to mark and post.
I have a female Yorkie, named Tippy, that is about 4 years old. She is my first dog and I got her in July 2018.
I'm still pretty new to owning a dog, so I will probably be posting with questions, comments, and such in the future.

Welcome, Tippy is a cute name for a Yorkie. Feel free to post pictures if you have any, we love looking at dog pics.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:44 am

-
Last edited by shadow~wolf on Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TedTed13 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:30 am

pictures are allowed you say? 😏 I have plenty of pictures
Attachments
ECD7D744-428A-40FC-8819-1068C2B527CC.jpeg
ECD7D744-428A-40FC-8819-1068C2B527CC.jpeg (117.11 KiB) Viewed 143 times
TedTed13

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Faybell » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:51 am

^ Cuuuute! There isn’t many yorkie owners in the club. I’d love to hear more about her when you have the time. I own a 1 1/2 year old male yorkie, named Warwick (Wick for short). He’s a little goofball but can be pretty stubborn at times.
Faybell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:49 am

just three of the photos with the new backdrop.
only $4 and its good enough even with the creases
the rest of them will be posted on their instagram
within the next few hours. figured i'd share here to
see if anyone likes them. piper would not stay in one
spot so no recent photos of her.

eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Licorice. » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Happy two year adoptabirthday Tyree! We are so proud of how far your have come!

ImageImageImage
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Licorice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TedTed13 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Happy birthday!^
@RWBY Rose sure. Tippy can be pretty stubborn too. She is quite a handful. One time she jumped in the trash can and got stuck until we came home and rescued her!
Since the image isn't showing up I'll link it here
TedTed13

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:24 pm

eleutheromania wrote:just three of the photos with the new backdrop.
only $4 and its good enough even with the creases
the rest of them will be posted on their instagram
within the next few hours. figured i'd share here to
see if anyone likes them. piper would not stay in one
spot so no recent photos of her.

-snip-

😍 My heart! Look at that precious little hot dog and marshmallow! Love the new backdrop, I wanna try getting one for my pups. Which did you end up getting?
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me