Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby cribunni » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:31 pm

sunflower, wrote:
      hi! so, i've had my crestie for a little under 6 months. he's so happy with his current home, and he's doing great!
      anyways, for the past two months, i've been interested in getting a leopard gecko as well. i've finally convinced my parents to let me get one! i have some questions for leopard gecko owners.

1. do you prefer reptile-carpet or eco-earth for flooring?
      2. how big should their terrariums be? i've heard 20 galloons, but i'd like a second opinion.
      3. i plan on getting mine from a reptile expo coming up in january. what kind of questions should i ask the seller?
      4. how many crickets do you feed a full-grown gecko? how often?

it'll be about a month until the expo, so i plan on doing tons of research, but i figured i'd start here.

any help is appreciated! thank you!

ahh what a good choice! Leo’s are amazing pets~

1. I prefer reptile carpet, just because there is a slight risk of impaction with any loose substrate. However, your gecko could get its claws stuck in the carpet, and crickets may be able to get underneath. It’s honestly completely up to you. (You could always use tile, or even just paper towels)

2. 10 gallons is suitable for baby leopard geckos, however a 20 gallon is the best size for an adult Leo. (The tank should be longer than it is tall, as they can’t climb the walls)

3. I suggest asking how old the animal is, who it’s parents are, and what they’ve been feeding. (If the seller seems unwilling to answer your questions, I wouldn’t buy anything from them)

4. Adult leopard geckos can be fed every 2 or 3 days, (babies every day and juveniles every other day) and should be fed as many crickets as they want within a 15-20 minuet time period, there really isn’t an exact number!

Hope I was able to help!

ImageImageImage
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
MATTY !! ANY PRONOUNS !! LESBIAN
deviant art . toyhou.se . art shoppe .
cribunni

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunflower, » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:35 am

aloe~ wrote:
sunflower, wrote:
      hi! so, i've had my crestie for a little under 6 months. he's so happy with his current home, and he's doing great!
      anyways, for the past two months, i've been interested in getting a leopard gecko as well. i've finally convinced my parents to let me get one! i have some questions for leopard gecko owners.

1. do you prefer reptile-carpet or eco-earth for flooring?
      2. how big should their terrariums be? i've heard 20 galloons, but i'd like a second opinion.
      3. i plan on getting mine from a reptile expo coming up in january. what kind of questions should i ask the seller?
      4. how many crickets do you feed a full-grown gecko? how often?

it'll be about a month until the expo, so i plan on doing tons of research, but i figured i'd start here.

any help is appreciated! thank you!

ahh what a good choice! Leo’s are amazing pets~

1. I prefer reptile carpet, just because there is a slight risk of impaction with any loose substrate. However, your gecko could get its claws stuck in the carpet, and crickets may be able to get underneath. It’s honestly completely up to you. (You could always use tile, or even just paper towels)

2. 10 gallons is suitable for baby leopard geckos, however a 20 gallon is the best size for an adult Leo. (The tank should be longer than it is tall, as they can’t climb the walls)

3. I suggest asking how old the animal is, who it’s parents are, and what they’ve been feeding. (If the seller seems unwilling to answer your questions, I wouldn’t buy anything from them)

4. Adult leopard geckos can be fed every 2 or 3 days, (babies every day and juveniles every other day) and should be fed as many crickets as they want within a 15-20 minuet time period, there really isn’t an exact number!

Hope I was able to help!

thank you so much! this helped a lot!
my dream pets are the mini huskies from christmas 2008 :)
sunflower,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby demolition lovers » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:57 am

hey guys! so i've had my beardie, neville for four years now. i've had him since he was a baby, and he's always had a variety of greens, fruits, and squash etc. he also has superworms and crickets, (not too many ofc.) over the last year or so he's been very picky about what sort of "salad" he eats. his idea of perfect is just strawberries and blueberries. (which he can't eat every day.) he still acts normal and everything, just a picky eater. has anyone else had this problem? any ideas on how to trick him into not being a brat? thanks <3

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■
𝕀 𝕙𝕒𝕕 𝕒 𝕞𝕒𝕣𝕧𝕖𝕝𝕠𝕦𝕤 𝕥𝕚𝕞𝕖
𝕣𝕦𝕚𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣𝕪𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘
■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

demolition lovers

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby endermiss » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:39 am

.sunflower. wrote:hey guys! so i've had my beardie, neville for four years now. i've had him since he was a baby, and he's always had a variety of greens, fruits, and squash etc. he also has superworms and crickets, (not too many ofc.) over the last year or so he's been very picky about what sort of "salad" he eats. his idea of perfect is just strawberries and blueberries. (which he can't eat every day.) he still acts normal and everything, just a picky eater. has anyone else had this problem? any ideas on how to trick him into not being a brat? thanks <3

just... stop feeding him strawberries and stuff. tough love helped my animals (obviously don't starve them)
endermiss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:07 am

endermiss wrote:
.sunflower. wrote:hey guys! so i've had my beardie, neville for four years now. i've had him since he was a baby, and he's always had a variety of greens, fruits, and squash etc. he also has superworms and crickets, (not too many ofc.) over the last year or so he's been very picky about what sort of "salad" he eats. his idea of perfect is just strawberries and blueberries. (which he can't eat every day.) he still acts normal and everything, just a picky eater. has anyone else had this problem? any ideas on how to trick him into not being a brat? thanks <3

just... stop feeding him strawberries and stuff. tough love helped my animals (obviously don't starve them)

definitely stop feeding strawberries and blueberries. those should be only fed as treats as they have high "fatty" content in them. Feed them collard greens, kale, clover, dandelions, etc. the only greens you shouldn't really feed is iceberg lettuce. you should also feed a mix of vegetables as well. This includes broccoli, peas, squash, zucchini, etc. You probably know as you've had him for so long lol. The best way I've heard to make your beardie eat these is mixing honey or even the strawberries into it. Beardies can smell the sweetness and will eat it. Cut the strawberries into tiny pieces if you do go that route.

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby demolition lovers » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:50 am

vencrypt wrote:
endermiss wrote:

definitely stop feeding strawberries and blueberries. those should be only fed as treats as they have high "fatty" content in them. Feed them collard greens, kale, clover, dandelions, etc. the only greens you shouldn't really feed is iceberg lettuce. you should also feed a mix of vegetables as well. This includes broccoli, peas, squash, zucchini, etc. You probably know as you've had him for so long lol. The best way I've heard to make your beardie eat these is mixing honey or even the strawberries into it. Beardies can smell the sweetness and will eat it. Cut the strawberries into tiny pieces if you do go that route.

by greens i meant all veggies lol he doesn’t have the strawberries and blueberries all the time. he just...doesn’t eat the veggies until i fool him by adding small amounts of fruit in. it takes until he gets really hungry, yknow? i just worry that i’m doing the wrong thing, even though i logically know i’m not.

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■
𝕀 𝕙𝕒𝕕 𝕒 𝕞𝕒𝕣𝕧𝕖𝕝𝕠𝕦𝕤 𝕥𝕚𝕞𝕖
𝕣𝕦𝕚𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣𝕪𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘
■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

demolition lovers

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BudgieLover5000 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:10 pm

vencrypt wrote:
endermiss wrote:

Hi, I don't mean to be rude here,
but in what world are blueberries and strawberries too FATTY? If anything, they might be considered too "watery" or "sugary" to some animals - not fatty. Blueberries and strawberries literally have no calories and are not considered fatty by any means. I just thought I should mention this because it seemed odd, but correct me if I'm wrong.
BudgieLover5000

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi, I don't mean to be rude here,
but in what world are blueberries and strawberries too FATTY? If anything, they might be considered too "watery" or "sugary" to some animals - not fatty. Blueberries and strawberries literally have no calories and are not considered fatty by any means. I just thought I should mention this because it seemed odd, but correct me if I'm wrong.

ah sorry that's what I meant ^^' I put it in quotes because they don't contain a lot of nutrients compared to others. They mostly contain water and sugar sorry for the misunderstanding !

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cribunni » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:22 pm

Hello! I’m having a bit of trouble sexing my Leopard Gecko Sage.
They are nearly 4 months old, and I’m pretty sure they’re a boy but I’m not quite positive. I’ve only had Sage a little over a week, so I haven’t gotten the chance to actually pick them up to check yet.

It looks like they have the bulges here

But I can’t see any distinct pores here (what a dork)

Any help?

ImageImageImage
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
MATTY !! ANY PRONOUNS !! LESBIAN
deviant art . toyhou.se . art shoppe .
cribunni

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:43 pm

aloe~ wrote:
Hello! I’m having a bit of trouble sexing my Leopard Gecko Sage.
They are nearly 4 months old, and I’m pretty sure they’re a boy but I’m not quite positive. I’ve only had Sage a little over a week, so I haven’t gotten the chance to actually pick them up to check yet.

It looks like they have the bulges here

But I can’t see any distinct pores here (what a dork)

Any help?

They can’t be sexed until they’re at least 6 months old

❝ ❝

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me