Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby blueh » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:53 am

i dont like her. her tanks need upgrades and instead of providing that, she buys more animals. id consider her something of a hoarder. impulse buys pets constantly. supports betta sororities. supportive of brian barczyk. dangerous anthropomorphism. has repeatedly put her animals in danger--ie, taking her crested gecko to the store, bringing reptiles into places that only cause stress, etc. i'm pretty sure she brought some animals with her to vidcon? also the whole turtle thing where she literally bought 80 turtles illegally without the means to care for them. the entire blackthroat monitor (you dont just get a monitor and not know what species it is??) thing. i've heard things about her fish being in overstocked tanks but i cant verify that because i im not a fish person. she makes how to care videos waaaaaaaay too soon after having a pet for only a short amount of time. she doesn't respond to criticism at all.

personally i only see a hoarder. if she really cared about her animals, she'd focus on giving them tank upgrades instead of buying more.

my reptiles (aka my personal pets)
1.1 Uromastyx geyri, 3.1 Uromastyx ornata, 1.0 Uromastyx acanthinurus nigriventris, 2.0 piebald ball pythons, 1.0 puma ball python

i study lizards & bugs and like animals

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
blueh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:08 am

blueh wrote:
i dont like her. her tanks need upgrades and instead of providing that, she buys more animals. id consider her something of a hoarder. impulse buys pets constantly. supports betta sororities. supportive of brian barczyk. dangerous anthropomorphism. has repeatedly put her animals in danger--ie, taking her crested gecko to the store, bringing reptiles into places that only cause stress, etc. i'm pretty sure she brought some animals with her to vidcon? also the whole turtle thing where she literally bought 80 turtles illegally without the means to care for them. the entire blackthroat monitor (you dont just get a monitor and not know what species it is??) thing. i've heard things about her fish being in overstocked tanks but i cant verify that because i im not a fish person. she makes how to care videos waaaaaaaay too soon after having a pet for only a short amount of time. she doesn't respond to criticism at all.

personally i only see a hoarder. if she really cared about her animals, she'd focus on giving them tank upgrades instead of buying more.

what's wrong with Betta sororities? they've been done before, and if you have a large enough tank it can and has been done, depending on the temperament of your fish. And when I mean sororities, I only support a mostly female one.

But anyway, about Taylor, I personally dislike like. here are my reasons:

- she was gone for 22 hours when her power shut down or whatever. this cooked both her croc. skinks and Pacman frog. why did she not check before she went to sleep or something ???
- right after her skinks died, she already got 2 more
- she's lied about how she got 2 of her kittens
- blames breeders for the death or mistakes of most of her pets, including her halloween crab and a beardie
- she doesn't support the weight of her snake's body
- she has most of her animals as 'show animals' not to care for them properly
- if you look at her rat videos, her rats are SO SKITTISH. she's had them for M O NTH S. if she handled them everyday, they'd be tame.
- her cowfish was for show. the process is get new pet -> dies -> make crying video -> get new pet -> repeat
- she has specifically said in her twitter that she has no time and she's always busy, either her 'job' or she's sick.
- I agree with the monitor situation. she didn't even know the species. she impulse bought it with only looking at info less than a day before getting it
- she impulse buys. a lot.
- many more I could rant on and on but this is CS so I'm not sure I can do that.
- I believe she doesn't know most of the care of most of her animals

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:23 am

Birb wrote:
    I've never watched Taylor so I can't personally comment on her as an individual, but many of the negative points brought up against her are, in my view, reflective of a very worrying trend.

There are things that Taylor has done that I don't agree with, but I don't dislike her as a whole. I've seen YouTubers with more pets than her. Though there are some rumors out there that reach so far. The fact that she's getting cyberbullied over ridiculous claims, that people have nothing better in their lives to do but to make, really gets to me. It's unfair. You can educate someone, you can even just not watch their content, but nothing calls for bullying and threatening others - no matter what they did.

I will say that i do agree with that worrying trend as there are many Pet YouTubers I refuse to watch because they don't care for them properly and just want "quantity over quality" when it comes to animals. I won't list those accounts I dislike, but I will say that Maddie Smith is probably my favourite Pet YouTuber. She's incredible and takes such good care of her animals and isn't constantly getting new pets. She also takes amazing care of her Tegu's, which is rare to see. I really think she's one of the best pet owners out there.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby saorsa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:43 am

I don't watch Youtube, mostly because nearly anybody could upload a video claiming that they're some reptile expert, and doing that has spread the wrong information about husbandry for so many species of reptiles.

On that note, I have read that a few people here want to breed cresteds.

A word of advice, I don't really recommend it for any minors. Most of the breeders in the crested community do not deal (buying and selling) with minors simply because they are not bound by a legal contract, and that can really screw us breeders over should something ever happen. (Which it does, a lot actually you'd be surprised.) Also, you need a lot of time and space for them, as cresteds can produce as many as 12 babies (even more, if the female retains from the male) from a single pairing, each needing to be housed separately after they reach around 5 grams. So you'll be needed to clean and feed and care for all those babies and be prepared if they don't sell right away. Which means.. more food and bigger enclosures. The market for cresteds is pretty bad right now since everyone and their sisters are breeding lower quality animals from petco and selling them for cheap. I have also seen people trying to breed their geckos and not even know how to sex a gecko. I just like to inform people before diving into breeding. It's similar to dog breeding. You want to make sure the pairing will be producing healthy babies that people will want to invest in rather than slapping together any old geckos just for the heck of it :)
Last edited by saorsa on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
adoptsbeaumont kennel
senegal zebraswmetoyhouse

adult • dog groomer • horse enthusiast
gamer • bookworm • artist
saorsa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:38 pm

foxxie wrote:I don't watch Youtube, mostly because nearly anybody could upload a video claiming that they're some reptile expert, and doing that has spread the wrong information about husbandry for so many species of reptiles.

On that note, I have read that a few people here want to breed cresteds.

A word of advice, I don't really recommend it for any minors. Most of the breeds in the crested community do not deal (buying and selling) with minors simply because they are not bound by a legal contract, and that can really screw us breeders over should something ever happen. (Which it does, a lot actually you'd be surprised.) Also, you need a lot of time and space for them, as cresteds can produce as many as 12 babies (even more, if the female retains from the male) from a single pairing, each needing to be housed separately after they reach around 5 grams. So you'll be needed to clean and feed and care for all those babies and be prepared if they don't sell right away. Which means.. more food and bigger enclosures. The market for cresteds is pretty bad right now since everyone and their sisters are breeding lower quality animals from petco and selling them for cheap. I have also seen people trying to breed their geckos and not even know how to sex a gecko. I just like to inform people before diving into breeding. It's similar to dog breeding. You want to make sure the pairing will be producing healthy babies that people will want to invest in rather than slapping together any old geckos just for the heck of it :)

I agree with the gecko breeding.i don't think minors should breed because anything can happen during their lives, whether it be school or a job or any other circumstances. You also have to have money in order to care for them, and if you don't have a stable job to house and keep them, you shouldn't be breeding them. Now if you have a parent supervising them, that's a whole different scenario.

I think that crestie and Leo breeding isn't necessary because there's hundreds of thousands of geckos that need homes. if you're wanting a new pet, try to go to craigslist or letgo or kajiji instead.

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby catra » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:10 pm

part of the problem is that when you criticize someone's terrible pet care and give suggestions on how to change it, you get called a "hater"
╭──────────.★..─╮
.˳·˖✶𓆩𓁺𓆪✶˖·˳.

just here to be silly :3
eli ~ adult ~ EST

feel free to say hello!

.˳·˖✶𓆩𓁺𓆪✶˖·˳.
╰─..★.───────────────╯
catra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby saorsa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:36 am

There are companies that provide all the reptiles to the pet stores, and while I know a few of the owners, I don't approve of the mass breeding and selling and unfortunately when you buy from people of of craigslist: the animal almost ALWAYS has a serious issue that will cost money and time to fix due to improper care, and we know that vets are expensive, and finding a good reptile vet is even more so. Buying from a breeder will not only save you money in the long run, but you'll also know that the animal was responsibly bred and well kept, as well as free of disease or genetic issues. Geckos that come from the large suppliers are often kept in tiny tub enclosures with nothing but an egg carton to climb on. I can't speak on most other lizards but I have seen some horrifying things with beardies, turtles, and leo's. I see too many people "rescue" from craigslist and not know what they're doing, or asking for money because they got the animal cheap but need to take it to a vet. But if you know what you're doing with rescuing, go for it
adoptsbeaumont kennel

saorsa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LOCW_Bluestarwarrior » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 am

Here is my son, Beep! I got him in August after months of research

He has a big terrarium; 18x18x24 exo terra. Here's a pic with the lid off when I was cleaning it!
------------
------------Call me Blue
------------adult // fan of a great
------------many things
------------ImageImageImage
------------
------------
------------ImageImage
------------Art credit - me
------------
LOCW_Bluestarwarrior

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby saorsa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:24 am

Aww what a sweetie! Love the set up as well, he's a lucky little guy!
adoptsbeaumont kennel

saorsa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LOCW_Bluestarwarrior » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:30 am

foxxie wrote:Aww what a sweetie! Love the set up as well, he's a lucky little guy!

Thank you! :D I want him to be as happy and healthy as possible
------------
------------Call me Blue
------------adult // fan of a great
------------many things
------------ImageImageImage
------------
------------
------------ImageImage
------------Art credit - me
------------
LOCW_Bluestarwarrior