Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Hime » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:02 pm

If I'm counting right, today is the last day of medication and I can do a water change. Other than that one odd tetra death no other fish have had negative symptoms from the medication, or water quality as it's now been 10 days since last change. Hard to say has it been effective, but at least the fishes seem to be bit more active imo and definetly have a good appetite.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:21 am

JiminSpazz wrote:
방탄소년단 wrote:
      -sniP-

I'm pretty sure it just looks like poop, I don't see my bettas poop very often (they like to do it in private, I know they're pooping by the mess they leave behind) but uh, yeah XD If you see it again, take another photo, just to be sure. But that's what it looks like to me. How often and how much do you feed your betta?
he looks like my 3 year old veiltail with his scales like that, how old is he?

ohmygod i feel dumb. i don't think it was though? it doesn't really look like it in the photo, but it was like fluorescent orange, oh well aHA. maybe he has fluorescent colored poo, who knows. i was so scared when i first saw it i thought he had some fish disease or something. i feed him 6 days a week, he has a fasting day on Sundays. his food is like a granule kind of thing, i guess. i just give him a couple of them.
      i can't really be sure on his age? i got him on the 28th of dec in 2015, so i've had him for about a year. i'm not very sure on how old the bettas that they sell are, but yep. he was a lot prettier when i got him, now he looks a little intimidating, but oh well i love him
xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:16 am

방탄소년단 wrote:
JiminSpazz wrote:
방탄소년단 wrote:
      -sniP-

I'm pretty sure it just looks like poop, I don't see my bettas poop very often (they like to do it in private, I know they're pooping by the mess they leave behind) but uh, yeah XD If you see it again, take another photo, just to be sure. But that's what it looks like to me. How often and how much do you feed your betta?
he looks like my 3 year old veiltail with his scales like that, how old is he?

ohmygod i feel dumb. i don't think it was though? it doesn't really look like it in the photo, but it was like fluorescent orange, oh well aHA. maybe he has fluorescent colored poo, who knows. i was so scared when i first saw it i thought he had some fish disease or something. i feed him 6 days a week, he has a fasting day on Sundays. his food is like a granule kind of thing, i guess. i just give him a couple of them.
      i can't really be sure on his age? i got him on the 28th of dec in 2015, so i've had him for about a year. i'm not very sure on how old the bettas that they sell are, but yep. he was a lot prettier when i got him, now he looks a little intimidating, but oh well i love him

In the photo it looks like poo to me. Fish's poo can be all sorts of funky colours, depending on what they're eating and how well their digestive system is functioning. Could be he ate something different; maybe a bug fell into the tank? If he's acting normal otherwise I don't think it's anything to worry about!
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scuttlefish » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:28 am

CSF wrote:I'm away from my tank because of a holiday trip. I put in one of the dissolving blocks of food for my fish. I know my cory cats are fine with it, will the betta be as well? I'm guessing so because it's the same ingredients just different size block.

Also, somewhat off topic, but I made a fishtank :P

That's a nice fishtank!

How long will you be gone? Others have told me that if it's less than a week, then sometimes it's better not to put one in at all. Apparently it'll just dirty the water if no one eats it, but you probably already knew that! My fish doesn't eat those so I stopped giving them to him for vacations that are less than a week.
I used to be sugar pixel .

Microllama Adoption Center

scuttlefish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Autumnlp99 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Hey my dude bros
I'm getting back into fish keeping, only betta fish, I don't have enough space for large tanks anymore bc reptiles and rodents have taken over my house
Basically, I'm looking to do planted tanks, & I'm looking for things that need medium to low light, and are decently easy to care for, any recommendations?
Right now I have duckweed, and some other weird floating plant that I forgot the name of in the tank I'm currently cycling
Thank you!
Hey everyone! You can call me Autumn! I love to collect and trade!

Autumnlp99

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Leafy. wrote:Hey my dude bros
I'm getting back into fish keeping, only betta fish, I don't have enough space for large tanks anymore bc reptiles and rodents have taken over my house
Basically, I'm looking to do planted tanks, & I'm looking for things that need medium to low light, and are decently easy to care for, any recommendations?
Right now I have duckweed, and some other weird floating plant that I forgot the name of in the tank I'm currently cycling
Thank you!

Java fern and java moss are great for low light tanks and are super easy to care for. Anubias is a good one too. If you're using either root tabs or fertilized substrate Amazon swords are an option. Anacharis is nice and does well under medium lighting although it may not be legal where you live due to its status as an invasive pest species in some areas. It also grows very fast when well cared for so if you do get some be prepared to do frequent trimmings once it takes off!
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CSF » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:16 pm

sugar pixel . wrote:
CSF wrote:I'm away from my tank because of a holiday trip. I put in one of the dissolving blocks of food for my fish. I know my cory cats are fine with it, will the betta be as well? I'm guessing so because it's the same ingredients just different size block.

Also, somewhat off topic, but I made a fishtank :P

That's a nice fishtank!

How long will you be gone? Others have told me that if it's less than a week, then sometimes it's better not to put one in at all. Apparently it'll just dirty the water if no one eats it, but you probably already knew that! My fish doesn't eat those so I stopped giving them to him for vacations that are less than a week.

Thanks ^-^! I'll be gone until next Wednesday, the 11th.
CSF

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby adelphi prime. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:52 am

control wrote:Where do ya'll get your bettas? I'm still planning on a planted 10 g and 30 g this summer and I'm just getting my resources put together early. I don't want to buy from petco/petsmart because I don't like supporting their business in fish and reptiles, and I don't want to buy from walmart either. There is only one shop in my state that I know of so far that sells well taken care of bettas. I'm in the market for higher quality bettas than what I can find in the aforementioned stores, also.
Does anyone order them from someone/someplace online that is reputable/they can vouch for? I'm iffy about online ordering from a source I don't have anyone to tell me has treated them well in the past. I want a place that I can buy the pictured betta - I don't like randomized ordering.

Have you checked to see if there's a local fish store near you? A quick search online should bring up if you have any near you --> Fish Stores Near Me. I have a couple local shops where I get my fish.

On the other hand, check Ebay for bettas. That way you can look at how breeders or importers have done in selling their fish, as well as how they've done in keeping them healthy. Arielbetta, for example, does a really good job at keeping her bettas extremely healthy. She's where I got one of my more recent arrivals.

For other news, I have three more bettas! I divided up and prepared my empty 10 gallon. That makes 7 bettas and 10 goldfish in 6 tanks... it's quite the load of work. But worth it. Sorry for the sizes of the images... but these are Starscream, Amitola, and Iairos in that order.
    ImageImageImage
adelphi prime.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:42 am

Extermination² wrote:
control wrote:Where do ya'll get your bettas? I'm still planning on a planted 10 g and 30 g this summer and I'm just getting my resources put together early. I don't want to buy from petco/petsmart because I don't like supporting their business in fish and reptiles, and I don't want to buy from walmart either. There is only one shop in my state that I know of so far that sells well taken care of bettas. I'm in the market for higher quality bettas than what I can find in the aforementioned stores, also.
Does anyone order them from someone/someplace online that is reputable/they can vouch for? I'm iffy about online ordering from a source I don't have anyone to tell me has treated them well in the past. I want a place that I can buy the pictured betta - I don't like randomized ordering.

Have you checked to see if there's a local fish store near you? A quick search online should bring up if you have any near you --> Fish Stores Near Me. I have a couple local shops where I get my fish.

On the other hand, check Ebay for bettas. That way you can look at how breeders or importers have done in selling their fish, as well as how they've done in keeping them healthy. Arielbetta, for example, does a really good job at keeping her bettas extremely healthy. She's where I got one of my more recent arrivals.

For other news, I have three more bettas! I divided up and prepared my empty 10 gallon. That makes 7 bettas and 10 goldfish in 6 tanks... it's quite the load of work. But worth it. Sorry for the sizes of the images... but these are Starscream, Amitola, and Iairos in that order.
    ImageImageImage

I have looked for local pet stores and there aren't any. I live in the middle of no where, bssically. I was wondering if ebay was reliable, or if anyone knew specific sellers on ebay that were. Ordering online concerns me but right now I think is the best option for me to get bettas
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Autumnlp99 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:19 pm

PeachFuzz wrote:
Leafy. wrote:Hey my dude bros
Thank you!

Java fern and java moss are great for low light tanks and are super easy to care for. Anubias is a good one too. If you're using either root tabs or fertilized substrate Amazon swords are an option. Anacharis is nice and does well under medium lighting although it may not be legal where you live due to its status as an invasive pest species in some areas. It also grows very fast when well cared for so if you do get some be prepared to do frequent trimmings once it takes off!

Thank youuuu!! <3
I'm really excited to start setting up more fish tanks lol, I've got a 20g long that I'm going to set up tomorrow, going to split it too, I forgot how amazing fishkeeping was, only thing I have running now is a 10g with a male betta, either going to split that or get him some tank mates, gotta figure out if he'll kill a tank mate first~
Hey everyone! You can call me Autumn! I love to collect and trade!

Autumnlp99

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me