Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby StrikingEmber36 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:53 pm

@Good Grief.
Hm, I have two ten gal. with sand and I find it a bit hard to keep up with, even though it looks nice. i read somewhere that sand can make toxic holes or something like that and i've been nervous about it ever since then. i prefer gravel, but with bettas and their long fins sand or rounded gravel is probably better. but you said your tank isn't cycled? things like gravel keep beneficial bacteria on it. what i did when adding sand to a tank with gravel was that i let the tank cycle then i added the sand and spread the gravel below, inside, and on top of the sand. I also noticed you questioning your divider. i don't think the divider can do that? are you using the mesh-like divider? I don't think it's hurt any of my betta's fins, then again, none of them lean up against it.
and i just LOVE crowntails. my first crowntail was a grey/red/blue male named Zico that made me fall in love with the tail type. Now i have my dream betta, Kessel, a black crowntail with grey dragon scaling <3
Image megan ~ she/they Image
hello! i make art sometimes
pls disregard my old stuff, i've been on this site since i was a literal child
i like to draw, roleplay, and trade!
i have a service dog and love dogs+fish!!
user since 2011 | previously JiminSpazz | x
StrikingEmber36

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gvvdgrief » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Okay cool, I'll probably end up keeping the gravel then or getting higher quality stuff. I do have a mesh divider but I do believe its more probably him dragging his fins against the gravel, because hes quite the explorer and well, zips around a lot, hence his name - Zippy. I got some live Java fern plants to put in there, maybe he'll hang around that more. Thank you for the help!

and your betta sounds gorgeous!

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━---------
-=.==--------Todd / Adult / He/Him

Hi my name is Todd and I spend an absurd amount
of time thinking ab the band COIN. Returning long
time player coming back to trade a lil and see wha
ts up.

-----------------------
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Gvvdgrief

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby StrikingEmber36 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:20 pm

I've heard a lot of good things about java moss- I'm probably going to get some after Christmas for my guppies.
and oh yes, I love my Kessel
Screenshot 2016-12-23 at 8.18.41 PM.png
Screenshot 2016-12-23 at 8.18.41 PM.png (291.66 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Image megan ~ she/they Image
hello! i make art sometimes
pls disregard my old stuff, i've been on this site since i was a literal child
i like to draw, roleplay, and trade!
i have a service dog and love dogs+fish!!
user since 2011 | previously JiminSpazz | x
StrikingEmber36

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gvvdgrief » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:59 pm

A lovely fish indeed!

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━---------
-=.==--------Todd / Adult / He/Him

Hi my name is Todd and I spend an absurd amount
of time thinking ab the band COIN. Returning long
time player coming back to trade a lil and see wha
ts up.

-----------------------
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Gvvdgrief

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:36 am

In matter of sand... Which I personally find easier in medium sized planted tank, as I don't need to siphon it deep like gravel.

A. The toxic holes are essensially happening when the sand is too fine and it packs down so that the water can't flow through it > runs out of oxygen, which then leads to bad gasses forming due there not being oxygen to form different compound. So it cloggs up. Problem easily avoided by not picking too fine sand and applying too thick layer, occasionally disturbing the bottom(like stick your finger in it all the way to bottom glass and move your finger around) or getting trumpet snails to do that for you.

B. Sand also provides living surface for the beneficial bacterias, just like gravel and pretty much every single other surface in the tank. So if changing the substrate, which ever way, if the tank is cycled, changing all substrate at once can disturb the cycle momentarily.

JiminSpazz, he's gorgeous. :)
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satuurnity » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:40 am

Hey again! So I got an assassin snail when I first set up my tank to eat all the pest snails, and he's still doing fine even though there are no more pests for him to devour. My question is, would he eat trumpet snails? I wanted to get some to clean up and move the bottom of my sand but I think I read somewhere he (he's called Bob :lol: ) would eat them.
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:57 am

Floofems<3 wrote:Hey again! So I got an assassin snail when I first set up my tank to eat all the pest snails, and he's still doing fine even though there are no more pests for him to devour. My question is, would he eat trumpet snails? I wanted to get some to clean up and move the bottom of my sand but I think I read somewhere he (he's called Bob :lol: ) would eat them.

He will eat trumpet snails but probably not all of them if you start with a good number. Since trumpet snails can hide in the sand they have an advantage over the assassin. Plus they breed very fast if they have a good food source!
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satuurnity » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:01 am

PeachFuzz wrote:
Floofems<3 wrote:Hey again! So I got an assassin snail when I first set up my tank to eat all the pest snails, and he's still doing fine even though there are no more pests for him to devour. My question is, would he eat trumpet snails? I wanted to get some to clean up and move the bottom of my sand but I think I read somewhere he (he's called Bob :lol: ) would eat them.

He will eat trumpet snails but probably not all of them if you start with a good number. Since trumpet snails can hide in the sand they have an advantage over the assassin. Plus they breed very fast if they have a good food source!

Ah okay, thank you! Do you think three/four would be a good number? It's only a ten gallon so I don't want it to become over run. Saying that there were hundreds of pond snails when I got the assassin and they'd gone in two days so maybe a few more than that?
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rockonyo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:37 am

Well I haven't been on chicken smoothie lots cause of school and pet, but today been the worst day ever, My betta fish (Neon), he die today, he live for 1 year almost made it to two, now I knew he would die cause he was very sick but still hold on, he had one eye blind, but he still was acting himself, now my dad fed him behide my back, now he has his fish, guppies which he tent to over feed just cause there like 200 in each tank, (Which I understand cause sometimes the baby fish dont get food cause of the bigger guppies get them first) Now there was a reason why I was fasting neon, his tummy was a bit bloat, however my dad been over my shoulder and keep telling me to feed them which I do, but I like to fast them sometimes then feed them, so they don't get hardcore bloat, well today I woke up a bit early, go flip the eggs (Cause we have baby chick eggs they are going hatch) and all then I have some food with my mom, and then I feed the guppies, since my dad and my two sister are gone away for 1 week, so I had to stay with my mom to take care of the animals, anyways, I go to see king, I see it dirty, (but not to dirty where he can die fast), then im like " Ugh i have to clean your tank but I need help with that, you will have to wait a bit king, " then I look at the bottom, where neon tank is, and since neon is a neon color and so is his rock, it hard to see him anyways, so I see his tail, but it up on the top, then I look closer and see him dead, but bloated hardcore, then I scream and cry and tell my mom, she said it die and told me to pick it up, 5 min later I had the courage to pick it up, which was hard cause it was my first betta fish death, so then I look closer and see the bottom of the tank is full of uneatten food, now I told my dad not to feed neon since he blind with one eye and he only eat from my hand, well I guess my dad fed neon for 2 days without me knowing, cause his water was dirty... So yea that how my day went, start good but ended worst, my mom yell at my dad on the phone cause it was the second death he cause it.
rockonyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:09 pm

Floofems<3 wrote:
PeachFuzz wrote:

Ah okay, thank you! Do you think three/four would be a good number? It's only a ten gallon so I don't want it to become over run. Saying that there were hundreds of pond snails when I got the assassin and they'd gone in two days so maybe a few more than that?

I started with 4-5 and ended up with maybe 20, as far as I could count at once(some were so small I couldn't really tell them appart from the sand grains). :lol: Basically the more food the fish leave un-eaten, the more trumpets you are likely to end up with. One person had bit of trumpet over run case, and after she cut back on feeding the numbers dropped to more managable level.
______
Medication day 3, I found a dead tetra this morning... :/ Or more like what was left of it, which wasn't that much, but enough to identify it as a tetra instead of a corry. One of the bigger ones I think as well, so bit odd. Everything looked fine yesterday and the fish have been pretty active in general over past few days. And very very hungry. I know it says in the medication instructions that I should feed lightly while using it, as it needs to be in effect for 9 days before you can do a water change, but they are so skinny I feel bad for them... :c
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me