Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby Cetacea » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:17 pm

hey there, after doing lots of research i've finally decided i will be getting a crested gecko soon. I have a quick question though, do they need a uvb light? I've heard that their food is suppose to supply most of the D3, but I've also heard that they benefit from a light. I think I know the answer to this question but I'd like to have a few answers since I'm little anxious since this is my first go of owning a crestie.
Cetacea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:44 pm

saffrons wrote:generally I can tell when she needs to poop because she looks a bloated above her vent. And she's never fully submerged in water, it's only ever on one half of the bathtub so she can get away from the water if she wants. I only started doing that because she'd pooped on my bed twice so I started putting her in the tub to see if she needed to go before letting her roam around on my bed. I've noticed she tends to poop when I take her out because she's more active instead of sleeping all the time in her tank. I also spot clean and do deep cleans regularly so I'm not taking any shortcuts.

I didn't mean to imply you were taking shortcuts, just that doing that (which you've been doing) is enough to keep the environment clean. :) Frequent moving into an environment like a water-filled bathtub (even if not fully submerged) is still stressful, though. If you're able to generally estimate when she needs to poop, you can let her poop in her enclosure before you take her out and let her roam on your bed. You can also put down a towel on top of your bed before putting her on there.

darrow wrote:
hey there, after doing lots of research i've finally decided i will be getting a crested gecko soon. I have a quick question though, do they need a uvb light? I've heard that their food is suppose to supply most of the D3, but I've also heard that they benefit from a light. I think I know the answer to this question but I'd like to have a few answers since I'm little anxious since this is my first go of owning a crestie.

I can't fully answer your question since I don't own cresties, so I'm not entirely familiar with their diet (and what nutrients it contains). However, while they don't NEED a ubv light, but they definitely benefit from it. I absolutely cannot see how having a UVB/UVA light can hurt, so if in doubt, I would provide one during day hours (or even just partial day hours if that's your choice). Even nocturnal reptiles, like ball pythons, are exposed to UVB light in the wild. Someone else may be able to give you a more complete answer in regards to the diet, though.

-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby saffrons » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:56 pm

winter & fireflii wrote:I didn't mean to imply you were taking shortcuts, just that doing that (which you've been doing) is enough to keep the environment clean. :) Frequent moving into an environment like a water-filled bathtub (even if not fully submerged) is still stressful, though. If you're able to generally estimate when she needs to poop, you can let her poop in her enclosure before you take her out and let her roam on your bed. You can also put down a towel on top of your bed before putting her on there.

See, I wait the 48 hours after she eats and then take her out and the movement of being out and about seems to stimulate her defecating since she tends to not move a lot in her enclosure after she eats. I was just looking for a solution to her defecating on my bed when I take her out, the bathtub itself doesn't stress her out since I also feed her in there so if I just eliminate the water and put her in there with some paper towels that could still work?
█▓▒░xxxxxxx
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░○
█▓▒░
█▓▒░xxx
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░He/him
█▓▒░Snake dad
█▓▒░Bi
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
█▓▒░
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
░▒▓█
♦Worms come out of the woodwork♦
♢Leeches crawl from out of the dirt♢
♦Rats come out of the holes they call home♦
♢I fall apart and the snakes start to sing♢
saffrons

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gecko » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:56 am

darrow wrote:

As long as you feed a good diet (repashy, pangea) they dont need uvb. If you do add a light try making sure they have spots to hide from it completely if they want. If they want more uvb access, then they will climb for it to bask. ( :
Ignore oekaki timers I always leave the tab open >:'D

𝙳𝚒𝚜𝚌𝚘𝚛𝚍 𝙸𝙳
𝚐𝚎𝚌𝚔𝟶 #𝟺𝟽𝟻𝟸
𝙲𝚑𝚎𝚌𝚔 𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚜𝚎 𝚌𝚕𝚘𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚎𝚜!
𝚂𝚒𝚖𝚊 𝙰𝚍𝚘𝚙𝚝𝚜
𝙼𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚊 𝙳𝚘𝚐𝚜
𝚃𝚒𝚗𝚢 𝚃𝚊𝚒𝚕𝘴 𝚁𝚊𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚢

gecko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CSF » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:11 pm

Hazza; wrote:louie nearly 3 years old. from petco nearly 2 years ago.

I had some friends look into it and the morph is called a red stripe. Compared to most you would find now for sale, yours is very subtle. I personally like this better ^-^
Last edited by CSF on Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CSF

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:05 pm

saffrons wrote:
winter & fireflii wrote:I didn't mean to imply you were taking shortcuts, just that doing that (which you've been doing) is enough to keep the environment clean. :) Frequent moving into an environment like a water-filled bathtub (even if not fully submerged) is still stressful, though. If you're able to generally estimate when she needs to poop, you can let her poop in her enclosure before you take her out and let her roam on your bed. You can also put down a towel on top of your bed before putting her on there.

See, I wait the 48 hours after she eats and then take her out and the movement of being out and about seems to stimulate her defecating since she tends to not move a lot in her enclosure after she eats. I was just looking for a solution to her defecating on my bed when I take her out, the bathtub itself doesn't stress her out since I also feed her in there so if I just eliminate the water and put her in there with some paper towels that could still work?

It's really not recommended to move to feed, as this is stressful for your snake and can prompt regurgitation when being moved so soon after eating. The myth of cage aggression due to feeding in enclosures is just that; a myth. Like fireflii suggested, you can put a towel down on your bed when you bring her out if you don't want to wait until she defecates before bringing her out of her cage. But the option of putting her in the tub with towels and no water would better than having her in with water. It is less stressful, and you can be sure its not the warm water prompting her to go before she's really ready
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gecko » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:22 pm

So... this just happened. Meet Smax.

Anyone able to help me ID his morph?

Rescue story; https://g-e-c-k-0.deviantart.com/art/Re ... 1510204704

𝙳𝚒𝚜𝚌𝚘𝚛𝚍 𝙸𝙳
𝚐𝚎𝚌𝚔𝟶 #𝟺𝟽𝟻𝟸
𝚂𝚒𝚖𝚊 𝙰𝚍𝚘𝚙𝚝𝚜
𝙼𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚊 𝙳𝚘𝚐𝚜
𝚃𝚒𝚗𝚢 𝚃𝚊𝚒𝚕𝘴 𝚁𝚊𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚢

gecko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:38 pm

geck0 wrote:Image

make sure to bring him into a reptile reputable vet, especially if you heard him wheezing. That could indicate RI, which would probably needs meds to combat it since (s)he has already been under high stress situations for a while. Better to do a check up (recommended for all new reptiles anyway) and find it's nothing than for it to progress
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gecko » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:08 pm

control wrote:
geck0 wrote:-snip image-

make sure to bring him into a reptile reputable vet, especially if you heard him wheezing. That could indicate RI, which would probably needs meds to combat it since (s)he has already been under high stress situations for a while. Better to do a check up (recommended for all new reptiles anyway) and find it's nothing than for it to progress

Yeah if we hear any other sounds from him (it didn't so much sound like a wheeze more like a little huff as he moved kinda fast from being scared?) we are going to take him to the vet when we get paid. He hasn't made any other sounds since the first one when we got him out of the pillowcase.

𝙳𝚒𝚜𝚌𝚘𝚛𝚍 𝙸𝙳
𝚐𝚎𝚌𝚔𝟶 #𝟺𝟽𝟻𝟸
𝚂𝚒𝚖𝚊 𝙰𝚍𝚘𝚙𝚝𝚜
𝙼𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚊 𝙳𝚘𝚐𝚜
𝚃𝚒𝚗𝚢 𝚃𝚊𝚒𝚕𝘴 𝚁𝚊𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚢

gecko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:14 am

geck0 wrote:Image

I’m not that knowledgable about milk snakes. My best (somewhat uneducated) guess would be albino bicolor. Or maybe albino tangerine bicolor. Is it in shed? Do you have a full body picture? I’m only seeing two colors which is why I say bicolor.
-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me