Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby leiawolfe » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:16 am

eagledawg wrote:Bit of a tangent, as I see this thread is guilty of this..

Why do people make rabbits out to be such complicated pets by spreading incorrect information?

"Wire bottoms are BAD! They cause bumblefoot!"
"Rabbits need A TON of space!"
And it just goes on.

I'm not saying the conditions in which meat rabbits are kept are always optimal, but you'd think people would calm down a bit considering meat rabbits often live in smallish, purely wire cages so the waste can fall through, eat entirely pelleted diets .etc. and do perfectly fine. These people often aren't even vegetarians or anything, so they help fund the treatment of battery hens, for example, but GOD FORBID you keep your pet in a hutch outside or in a less than ideal cage.

Is it to make yourselves seem special?
I don't get it. Maybe your rabbits truly are frail since you, as pet owners, possibly don't cull heavily enough.

It depends by what you mean when you say 'a TON of space', because obviously if there are multiple rabbits/a large breed of rabbits they will need a quite a bit of space to excercise comfortably. And as the previous user mentioned, aren't all pets complicated? Rabbits do need care, food, water, a good environment to live in etc.
to live a happy life. And in my opinion wire bottoms are bad, because they dig into the rabbit's foot causing it to swell up. You said that 'this thread is guilty of giving false information'. This is not false information. It is an opinion, and there is not one right way to do things or say things, so please do not tell the thread this.
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:54 am

@
The Mean Kitty wrote:Eyyyy I ain't been here in forever. But I wanted to pop in and say I got a new breed today! Continental Giants! Honestly the sweetest rabbits out of the thousands I've encountered. I want 50 now. Okay not really but you know. ๐Ÿ˜‚

On another note. Thought I'd share a picture of one of the newest keepers from a Harlequin litter! Meet this sassy boy, known as Rootbeer Float!
cs.jpg

that rabbit is soooo cute, how did i only now did see him ....very cute:D
how do continental giants look :?:

@ eagledawg

i think you are out to make trouble...and this is not right,please educate yourself bevor you tell silly things....
it makes me really sad to read this.

the other already did say enough.
you can say it like this...:
try it out...please stay on wire all day for some weeks (free hanging a bit ver the ground), barefeet, in a shower or cupboard or whatever is small, no time out in grass or even ground to jump around or move without your paws...oops feet.... getting stuck somehow on some wire...throw in some bad food, to much heat and so on....and you have why any animal needs enough space to move around like there breed does needs too, a stury ground for easy movement and running-jumping or sitting on, a place to hide and sleep, a plae to sit on to watch ,the right food enough water and when possible some run in grass in a rabbit run or atleast free time to jump like crazy in a room. ---> wire is bad for any animal there feet and health of body and mind, the same goes for al those tiny cages you still can find !!!! battery hens are bad example as people fight since years for bether cages and care...and they atleast did win so that they got a bit bigger cages a place to sit on and so on.. and more control of this farms and animal care.

i know from someone who has meat rabbits, they are keeped outside with a big rabbit run with grass and other ground, in the yard and have different shelter and rabbit house for night or bad weather, good Food and vet care.
--> what im told they life happy till there end, get sun, fresh air, can jump around without hurting every day, get fresh food to there grain and pellets, can run in the grass and eat it like they wish for...

Keep animal like they deserve in any way, with as much space as only possible for them to move and run around, feed them and give them propper care and vet care and end with a vet and no half assed owner killing...or culling as you say.

then you may get healthy happy pets like we.
and yes i feel special that i can even be near an animal, get its love, see its happiness and fun when it runs around, how it is healthy with shiny fur, good claws and teeth and Skin, the shiny happy clear eyes...any human can feel special of a tiny bit attention o any animal.

@
SuperChihuahua ยป
I have a rabbit question : Do they really bite your fingers off, thatโ€™s why I canโ€™t get one.

they cant bite of your finger,not that i ever did read something like this :) are not really meat eater.... yes they can bit in the finger, and it can hurt...or kick when you did something wrong,...but this can any pet that is touched or taken up or hold wrong way.
but there are rabbit who are more calm and alright with being taken in the arms...most bigger rabbit when i see it right...i could be wrong....but from giant owner and breeder i did hear that they are often calm and happy.
when you give it a large space to run(rabbit run or room) a nice big cage, hold it careful, touch it gentle, then it could work.^^
Last edited by Luzien on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please klick them or they will dieยฐยฐ!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:40 am

@everyone,

eagledawgs has been banned for starting trouble on the dog owner chat as well,
I think we all agree it was very immature and inappropriate of them, and as I'd like to not draw more attention of the mods like it did the dog thread, we might change the subject. I have a question that all of you could answer if you'd like <3

Code: Select all
[b]What brand of food do you give your rabbit and how much
(For ex. two times a day, 1 cup each, 'Allen and Page'.)<- delete this[/b]

*answer here*
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:06 am

What brand of food do you give your rabbit and how much

not easy to say, it is a mix of two or three different ones right now....they are so difficult this little fluffy rabbit monster, and with mixing they need to eat the other things too(but mostly it is one who has already a nice mix of different things and are all natural), with lots of herbs and dry flowers rabbit like, also some pellets, also some wild meadow grass that is only cut once mixed into it...and i think no grain...to the normal hay and fresh fruit vegi ...also two times a day, 1 cup + the fresh food....can ask my mom what is right now^^
Please klick them or they will dieยฐยฐ!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:35 am

SuperChihuahua wrote:I have a rabbit question : Do they really bite your fingers off, thatโ€™s why I canโ€™t get one.

I don't think a rabbit could literally bite a finger off. But any one could give you a good bite if it wanted to.

But then so could most of the animals we keep as pets.

I'd imagine...as I've been told...spaying or neutering reduces biting. But I personally like my mischievous beasties the way they are.

I'll be sitting on the floor watching the chicks in the brooder and Basil, my Flemish Giant, comes over and gives me a nip to ask for attention.

I love that he wants to be with me and enjoys being snuggled and petted.

Rabbits are not cats or dogs or and their "attitude" is part of their charm for me.
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Once a day. 1 cup. Manna Pro.
Hay is given whenever the hay rack runs dry... so usually every other day.
Peppers, lettuce, banana a couple times a week, if I have them.

I'm not much of a spoiler. I used to show rabbits and had over 50 of them. It was pellets and hay. That was it. lol Now that I don't show anymore, they get treats more often, but that's about it.

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
๐Ÿถ Ginger . Brody
๐Ÿฑ Kieran . Delaney . Ian
๐Ÿญ Dorian
๐Ÿฐ Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sir stingray. » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:08 am

I feed them 1 cup and a half everyday once a day! I feed them Forti-Diet. I also give a large handful of hay everyday!
sir stingray.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sir stingray. » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:10 am

kodiak โ™ก wrote:[size=85]

[b]@mos
;; huh, that's a tricky one, by vibrating do you mean thumping it against the ground very quickly and repetitively? If so it could mean the rabbit has seen something new and perceives it as danger,
if not; it could still mean he is terrified, as he is a prey animal and won't 'scream' unless he's actually being attacked or dying

She just like, makes it move really quick, sorta like a controller in fallout when something explodes. (using as an example) She vibrates her leg and she usually only does it when I'm holding her.
sir stingray.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby andy; » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:30 pm

SuperChihuahua wrote:I have a rabbit question : Do they really bite your fingers off, thatโ€™s why I canโ€™t get one.

That's not physically possible for a rabbit. The force exerted would have to be enough to bite clean through a carrot, and even if a rabbit had a large enough mouth, it's jaw couldn't exert that kind of force.
Worst case scenario, if it's a really nasty bite, you need stitches or it gets infected. But rabbits rarely bite hard enough for that, let alone hard enough to bite through your finger.

๐ฐ๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ'๐ซ๐ž ๐ ๐จ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐จ ๐œ๐ก๐š๐ง๐ ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ฅ๐

Image Image Image

andy - they/he - adult - psychology
โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”“
hey all! andy here! i've been an
infrequent cs user since 2013.
this site has always brought comfort,
so i'm back to see how things are going!
โ”—โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”›
๐๐จ๐ง'๐ญ ๐š๐ฌ๐ค ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐ฆ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ข๐จ๐ง
andy;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raire » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi! :3

As some might know, I'm a bit of a bunny enthusiast and this weekend I finally got real bunnies again after not owning any for a few years.

They live indoors and have a bit more than 7 mยฒ of space as of now - once they're used to their new home and are house-trained they can run through two whole rooms.

This is Miss Ria, only called a "Miss" when she has her moments again... she's quite often a little diva.
A bit overweight at the moment and about 1.5 years old.

On the right of their temporary digging box we have the buck, King Philipp. He is behaving like a stubborn, selfish king so that's how he earned that name. I just call him Flip though. He is a bit underweight now and about 2.5 years old.

And on the left is Rias and Flips daughter, Tikki. She's about 7 months old now and I nicknamed her "Tikki the destroyer", because she's on a mission. Nothing is save and she also nibbled on me once. Gently, but she did. She has to chew on everything and I'm already crying when I think about all the furniture she might destroy in the future. :'D

Tikki wasn't planned and is Rias only kit.
Their previous home was... not so nice. They were fed cereal and practically lived in a litter box before they were sold via eBay. A nice soul saw that post, bought them and brought them to a vet. They got a full check-up, all their vaccinations and Flip was also neutered.
They never had as much as space as they do now and it really shows - Tikki and Flip enjoy running around! Ria is more shy and reserved, more of a cuddle bun actually.
_________ Image

# If you have any question or problem, please send us a help ticket

:: avatar picture by Tanja Askani :: signature by Jayfrost ::
Raire
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me