SAVE THE SHARKS - PLEASE READ AND SPREAD THE WORD

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: SAVE THE SHARKS - PLEASE READ AND SPREAD THE WORD

Postby quit delete » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:03 am

Love It ^^

Awesome stamp ;3

I am 1 million % against anything to do with hurting or killing sharks <3

I am a shark lover and unfortunately have witnessed 1st hand of what shark finning is about :(
quit delete

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby VESTAIS » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:23 am

I've always been against shark finning, please add me to the list!
No random trades
VESTAIS

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fizzlebee » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Please add me to the list. :3

(More people are killed each year by vending machines than sharks. :U)

I learned the following facts from my friend who is a Marine Biologist Major with specialty on sharks.

Killing sharks is only imposing a deadly and more dangerous issue: Giant Squids. Yes, it's true. Usually sharks live in the upper level of the ocean in the Gulf of Mexico, and the Giant Squids live on the level below. With sharks disappearing rapidly, the Squids are moving into the upper level of the Gulf. Before the massive shark killings, there was about one Giant Squid sighting every decade or so. Now, there's several sightings a year. D:

Let's go over why this is even worse. Squids are smarter than sharks, and can be more aggressive at times. They have tens of thousands of powerful suckers with little teeth on them. Personally, I'd rather be attacked by Shark than a Giant Squid. *Shudders*
Image Image Image
Image Image
Fizzlebee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby miraphoenix » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:05 am

~Eve~ wrote:Killing sharks is only imposing a deadly and more dangerous issue: Giant Squids. Yes, it's true. Usually sharks live in the upper level of the ocean in the Gulf of Mexico, and the Giant Squids live on the level below. With sharks disappearing rapidly, the Squids are moving into the upper level of the Gulf. Before the massive shark killings, there was about one Giant Squid sighting every decade or so. Now, there's several sightings a year. D:

Let's go over why this is even worse. Squids are smarter than sharks, and can be more aggressive at times. They have tens of thousands of powerful suckers with little teeth on them. Personally, I'd rather be attacked by Shark than a Giant Squid. *Shudders*

See, I'm worried about the same problem, but on the West Coast of North America. Smaller relatives of Giant Squid, called Humbolt Squid, (Which are more aggressive, and can live at the surface. Giant Squid are already dying if they're at the surface.) are moving up from the areas around the Baja Peninsula. Usually a warm-water species, they are taking advantage of warmer ocean waters to travel all the way up to Alaska.

Along that path lies Monterey Bay. Monterey Bay has a very deep canyon that comes almost all the way to the coast, and because of that, several kinds of rather interesting creatures that aren't seen very often are seen in the Bay. For example, the residents of Monterey have seen Blue Whales and Oarfish in the Bay, two very rare open ocean species.

However, these squid, sometimes traveling in packs numbering into the hundreds if not thousands, thrive in deep-water habitats. If they settle into Monterey Bay, there will be nothing left. The fisheries? Gone. The biodiversity? Gone. The types of rare deep-water sharks found in only one or two other places in the world? Gone.
Not to mention the fact that fishing or boating on the Bay would be an extremely dumb idea, for fear of having the squids nearby where, if you fell overboard, you might not make it out alive.
miraphoenix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fizzlebee » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:56 am

Weredrakka wrote:
~Eve~ wrote:Killing sharks is only imposing a deadly and more dangerous issue: Giant Squids. Yes, it's true. Usually sharks live in the upper level of the ocean in the Gulf of Mexico, and the Giant Squids live on the level below. With sharks disappearing rapidly, the Squids are moving into the upper level of the Gulf. Before the massive shark killings, there was about one Giant Squid sighting every decade or so. Now, there's several sightings a year. D:

See, I'm worried about the same problem, but on the West Coast of North America. Smaller relatives of Giant Squid, called Humbolt Squid, (Which are more aggressive, and can live at the surface. Giant Squid are already dying if they're at the surface.) are moving up from the areas around the Baja Peninsula. Usually a warm-water species, they are taking advantage of warmer ocean waters to travel all the way up to Alaska.

Along that path lies Monterey Bay. Monterey Bay has a very deep canyon that comes almost all the way to the coast, and because of that, several kinds of rather interesting creatures that aren't seen very often are seen in the Bay. For example, the residents of Monterey have seen Blue Whales and Oarfish in the Bay, two very rare open ocean species.

However, these squid, sometimes traveling in packs numbering into the hundreds if not thousands, thrive in deep-water habitats. If they settle into Monterey Bay, there will be nothing left. The fisheries? Gone. The biodiversity? Gone. The types of rare deep-water sharks found in only one or two other places in the world? Gone.
Not to mention the fact that fishing or boating on the Bay would be an extremely dumb idea, for fear of having the squids nearby where, if you fell overboard, you might not make it out alive.

(I don't think the Giant Squids live at the surface level, mostly just below it, but still close enough to attack. Besides, they'll start dying off and that's not good either.)It's terrifying. The main reason why sharks attack surfers and swimmers is because they think we are injured seals. >.<
Image Image Image
Image Image
Fizzlebee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GummyKarp » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:12 am

Please add me to the list :)
GummyKarp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tide. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Shark fan <333333
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

"Cas. I know you're in there. I know you can hear me. Cas, it's me. We're family. We need you. I need you."

|| my tumblr ||
tide.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SketchedMoon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:28 am

:shock: that so sad i feel like crying now :cry: :cry: :cry: how can i help?
SketchedMoon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aura » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Add my name to the list please. It's ridiculous how many people will save wolves, when they aren't even in any real danger, as compared to other animals. Sure, I like wolves, but it's stupid to say that they are in danger of extinction.

On Permanent Hiatus. Or, have quit. Pretty much. Might come back one day.
Have a nice day. I love you all.
RIP Aura 2009-2012
ImageImageImageImage
Aura

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Liru Kaulitz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:14 pm

Count me in! It's horrible that people would do something like that to a poor innocent creature. The sharks have rights too! How could you just let it die like that...I don't know how people have the heart to do that, and I'm 100% against it.
Liru Kaulitz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me