Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Resplendent » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:23 pm

charmie wrote:
      so I'm suuuper excited and am having a hard time containing it so I thought maybe posting online would be a good way to release some excitement. after 10+ years of trying to convince my parents of getting a cat/kitten they've finally agreed and I'm going to be getting one this weekend at one of the local animal shelters, I've been looking up stuff and tips all day and everyday for the past week but any help is appreciated. I plan to buy everything before we get the cat and get it set up a day before and then head on over and choose one of my furever friends. anyways, I'm just super excited and will probably post a photo of him/her when I get them on here. c: All tips are appreciated!

Hey there! I'm so happy that you're adopting a kitty! Here's a few quick tips from me:

- Your kitty might be scared when first arriving to their new home, so they may choose to hide somewhere like under the bed. If this happens then feel free to place food and water near their hiding place to help them feel more comfortable. Eventually when it feels safe they may begin to wander. Your cat may explore immediately when it gets home or it may take a few weeks. Every cat is different!

- The cat may also be scared/wary of you at first, but don't worry. In due time they will come around and start to become familiar with you. You can try to get to know them by letting them come to you and sniffing your hand, playing with them, etc.

- Watch out for any symptoms for illness in the weeks following the adoption. The shelter can be a very dirty place with a lot of sick animals, so if symptoms develop or worsen don't be afraid to take them to the vet. :>

Resplendent
xxxxxxxi(she/her)
x━━━━━━━━━━━━━
xxartist & writer • carrd
Resplendent

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pizzas and scream » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:43 pm

should i just aks the vet to test Gary or study food ingredance on his weird poop? now that he lives inside and has 3 legs, he seems to sometimes wind up stomping on his poop while covering it. I need to be there right away to wipe his feet, or else he might track tiny parts of it, or they might dry. and that is just not good. i slowly introduced blue buffalo sensitive diet. hills sensivtive was working for a while, and something like Fromm was just giving him super pudding poop.
do any of you have experance?
Last edited by Zeena on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't ask for veterinary advice here
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Cat Breed Help

Postby ĸιттιe » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:01 pm

So I'm really curious to figure out what breed(s) one of my kitties is... he just passed, so I can't get him DNA tested. I've been researching it a lot, but I don't have any clear answers yet. I knew him and his personality very, very well. If there's a website where you can enter certain criteria like, weight, length/height, colours, eye shape, head shape, etc., and it can give you some possible answers that's be amazing. my closest guess right now is a maine coon cross; he has the personality and some of the looks, but no fluffy fur. he was a pretty big kitty too.

>I know nothing like that can be super accurate, but I just want to see some possibilities.
>also if anyone knows cheap-but-reliable DNA testing that'd be cool too; I'd love to see what breeds my kitties truly are!!
((I found a geneome sequencing kit that sounds super cool!! except it's 695$ and I have five cats so like... that's a lot of money ^^'))

if you have a hard time reading coloured text, an easy trick is to highlight it all!!

>keep in mind, I don't want to discuss anything cat related here. a simple reply with a website or program will do; otherwise please take it to PM
ĸιттιe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nev » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:17 am

my fabulous baby
nev

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~ moth ~ » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:34 am

i think my cat just ate a pill off the ground, but i'm not 100% sure and if she did i don't know which one, and my mom doesn't want to take her to the vet so now i'm just freaking out

╰ ⋯ how the most dangerous thing . • ⊹ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋯ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ◂ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⋯⠀⠀⠀ ⠀ ↼╯
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀╰ is to love -

. • adrien - adult - they / he / she - aroace ⋆ ╮

╰ ⋯ how you will heal and rise above . • ⊹

───────────────────────────────────────────
x▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ▸ ╮

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⋮

. - • crowned by an overture ↼╯
bold and beyond . • ⋆

╰ ⋯ ah, it’s more courageous to ⋆
▸ — overcome ⊹ .

──────────────────────────

~ moth ~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:49 am

• adriana • wrote:
      i think my cat just ate a pill off the ground, but i'm not 100% sure and if she did i don't know which one, and my mom doesn't want to take her to the vet so now i'm just freaking out

If your not sure what type of pill it is she needs taking straight to the vets. You shouldn't with hold any kind of medical treatment if it's a pill which could potentially poison the cat and you need to explain it to your mum.
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fawn » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:38 am

i hope this doesnt fall under the category of medical advice, but -
my cat has just been,,, randomly gagging/dry heaving lately. (not sure which one it is) there's been nothing else wrong with her aside from that. does anyone know why she might be doing that? ;o;
fawn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:45 am

yukio wrote:i hope this doesnt fall under the category of medical advice, but -
my cat has just been,,, randomly gagging/dry heaving lately. (not sure which one it is) there's been nothing else wrong with her aside from that. does anyone know why she might be doing that? ;o;

Sounds like it might be a hairball issue, but I can't say for sure. If it sounds severe and you're concerned about it, a call to the vet may be a good idea. If you tell them what's going on and give them enough information, they may be able to tell you what's going on and how to fix it.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sebassyian » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:19 am

Hello,
I'm very much new to this whole form thing and well chicken smoothie itself. However, I found this thread and I just couldn't quite help myself. You see cats are my favorite animals. They're such fickle creatures I haven't been able to quite understand their moods I just absolutely adore about them. I'll be getting a cat this year which I'm extremely excited about. I haven't had a cat since my last one pasted. I'll be adopting mine from a shelter as so many are euthanized, it's quite sad in all honesty. I've been looking into a food brand called Instinct it offers freeze-dried raw which I quite love about the food brand as many know cats are obligated carnivores. I'm not quite sure on treats as I haven't been able to find any of my likings. If any of you have any recommendations please do let me know. I'm also trying to find good litter but it's proving to be harder than I initially thought once again if any have recommendations please do let me know. I'm trying to get everything in order before I adopt my feline companion. My apologies for my ramble I just adore cats so much I'm incredibly excited to be apart of this thread!
sebassyian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Brynmala » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 pm

@BlxckMilk - Congratulations on your (soon to be) new cat... I hope it doesn't need to be postponed too long because of the current situation. Regarding litter ask the shelter what they use and get something similar initially so that something at least is a constant for the cat. It is going to be hugely stressful for them having such a big change in their life (probably for the second time in a short time if you are getting an adult), so some continuity is important. That goes for food too, or you risk an upset tummy. You can change to what you want to feed slowly once the cat has settled in.

As for a 'good' litter - I find clumping litter is far easier to remove from the tray (I have 4 trays to clean on a daily basis, so easy is important to me!). Clay isn't very environmentally sound, and wood pellets are a pain to clean (also don't clump). I've found some wood based litter that looks like granules and clumps nicely, but it is German and on the assumption you are in the US it isn't going to be easy for you to get that particular brand, others may be available though. THere's also corn/plant based litters on the market. I haven't tried them on the basis that we also have house rabbits who would probably eat it, though a friend raves about it.
Brynmala

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me