Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Wolfumus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:21 am

So I have a quick question for anyone who has had experience with a kitten before. Yesterday I finally got to take home my new kitten who just turned 8 weeks today. I’ve never owned a cat before and was wondering, is it ok if I let her wander around my bedroom at night? I keep the door closed and her litter box and food and water are all in here too. I also have some toys scattered around for her. I have already taken care to put away everything I can that she could do damage to besides the necessary power cords that I have tried my best to hide and the wooden furniture in my room. My other option is to put her in my pug’s cage at night with her food, water, a pillow, some toys, and one of those training pads on the cage floor since it is not big enough to fit a litter box in. I was just wondering what would be the best option until she’s old enough/trained well enough to sleep in bed with me. Thanks!
She/Her or He/Him | Androgynous Female | Bisexual | Adult | OCD & PTSD
Things will get better, I promise. You're doing great!
Wolfumus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:32 am

Wolfumus wrote:So I have a quick question for anyone who has had experience with a kitten before. Yesterday I finally got to take home my new kitten who just turned 8 weeks today. I’ve never owned a cat before and was wondering, is it ok if I let her wander around my bedroom at night? I keep the door closed and her litter box and food and water are all in here too. I also have some toys scattered around for her. I have already taken care to put away everything I can that she could do damage to besides the necessary power cords that I have tried my best to hide and the wooden furniture in my room. My other option is to put her in my pug’s cage at night with her food, water, a pillow, some toys, and one of those training pads on the cage floor since it is not big enough to fit a litter box in. I was just wondering what would be the best option until she’s old enough/trained well enough to sleep in bed with me. Thanks!

As long as there's nothing in your room that she could eat/get hurt on, she should be fine to let roam around your room at night. I would suggest getting some kind of bitter spray to coat the cords with, just in case she decides she wants to try and chew any of them. Cats hate the taste and smell of citrus, so you could just make your own with some water and lemon/orange juice, but there are also some available in most pet stores and supermarkets.
Kittens are usually quite cuddly and want to be around their people when they're that young, so you shouldn't have too much trouble keeping her on your bed at night. When my youngest cat (who is quite the little gremlin now) was a kitten, she would always sleep on my chest or on my pillow next to my head whenever I took her to bed. My second-oldest cat was the same, but she liked to sleep under my blanket or in my shirt.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jun. » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:45 am

Wolfumus wrote:So I have a quick question for anyone who has had experience with a kitten before. Yesterday I finally got to take home my new kitten who just turned 8 weeks today. I’ve never owned a cat before and was wondering, is it ok if I let her wander around my bedroom at night? I keep the door closed and her litter box and food and water are all in here too. I also have some toys scattered around for her. I have already taken care to put away everything I can that she could do damage to besides the necessary power cords that I have tried my best to hide and the wooden furniture in my room. My other option is to put her in my pug’s cage at night with her food, water, a pillow, some toys, and one of those training pads on the cage floor since it is not big enough to fit a litter box in. I was just wondering what would be the best option until she’s old enough/trained well enough to sleep in bed with me. Thanks!

Speaking from experience from both fostering kittens, and raising my own cat, I'd put her in a crate/pen at night. She could easily get hurt, and a kitten so young shouldn't be left to their own devices. Besides safety, she might get scared with a whole room to herself. When I first got my cat (yuki), she was about 3 months old and I kept her in a pen for the first week so she was able to get comfortable around me. Then I let her out during the day (only when I was able to watch her) for the second week, and put her up at night. Especially for an 8 week old kitten, you definitely need to keep a close eye on her, and only let her roam the room when you can supervise.
Yo, I'm Jun--I'm into cats
pomeranians and kpop
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DA
Currently listening to:
DPR Ian
Jun.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gizmutt » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:44 am

Man, the last time I got a cat spayed (granted it was about 10 years ago) it was 150-200 dollars, with anesthesia and proper vet care.

I have got to get my female that have now spayed- but lord all mighty the lowest quote I have gotten (from the 5 vets I have asked) is 350, with most being 450-500.

When did that sky rocket? Cause’ that’s ridiculous. I don’t really want to resort to one of the cheep general numbing agent rip and tear kiosk spay neuter clinics .... but I also don’t want to have to sell my soul to pay for it.
So say goodbye to the old, and hello to that rainbow road ...
Gizmutt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:08 am

Flerken. wrote:Man, the last time I got a cat spayed (granted it was about 10 years ago) it was 150-200 dollars, with anesthesia and proper vet care.

I have got to get my female that have now spayed- but lord all mighty the lowest quote I have gotten (from the 5 vets I have asked) is 350, with most being 450-500.

When did that sky rocket? Cause’ that’s ridiculous. I don’t really want to resort to one of the cheep general numbing agent rip and tear kiosk spay neuter clinics .... but I also don’t want to have to sell my soul to pay for it.

There are usually places that will help with paying for the spay, or if you're in the US there's something called Care Credit that you can sign up for that would allow you to pay it off in smaller portions over time. I know some clinics also allow payment plans. I'd suggest asking your local cat rescues if they know any places that would give you a better deal, also.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:05 pm

I now only have three animals amd they are all catsmy dog passed away today so this makes a cat owner until we get another dog when we are ready.

Vet prices are always pretty high 200 dollars 10 years ago was a lot. The demand has gone up. Also the supply of vet is small meaning theres not whole lot veterinarians due to difficulty getting into vet school.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:56 pm

Flerken. wrote:Man, the last time I got a cat spayed (granted it was about 10 years ago) it was 150-200 dollars, with anesthesia and proper vet care.

The price raise, while annoying, is normal for ten years of improvement and ten years of a raised expense of living. Though in my hometown, the SPCA shelter offers "spay days" where they will spay or neuter your pet for $80 or something. It is to help decrease the chance of accidentally pregnancies and help those owners that can't afford the expensive vet fees. Maybe check in and see if there's anything like that where you live.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pizzas and scream » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:43 pm

I got Gary a bubbling foutain, it was all good untill yesterday, now he knocks the flower part off, and now he paws at the tray.

Captain Thomas Lasky wrote:I now only have three animals amd they are all catsmy dog passed away today so this makes a cat owner until we get another dog when we are ready.

Vet prices are always pretty high 200 dollars 10 years ago was a lot. The demand has gone up. Also the supply of vet is small meaning theres not whole lot veterinarians due to difficulty getting into vet school.

I willl try to find the evidence and rerember that, when ever people say insepid things like "why do they have to kill these feral island cats, dogs,rabbits, rats, horses, camels, horses, pigs, preditory reptiles invasive species? why can't the just TNR them?"
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:36 am

we've had chip just over two years and he has never jumped into kitchen counters, at least we haven't seen him do that. Tally jumps on the counter if there is food sitting out (that cat is a vacuum and will eat anything).

We come home yesterday and walk into the kitchen and everyone finds themselves staring into the eyes of chip, and the far cat is the size of the counter part he is sitting on.

It was funny but I'm just curious as to why he thought he could get up there. The cats know when they can't do something. I wonder if it had something to do with Tally.
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"𝖎𝖘 𝖘𝖎𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖌𝖔𝖑𝖉."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:07 am

aris. wrote:we've had chip just over two years and he has never jumped into kitchen counters, at least we haven't seen him do that. Tally jumps on the counter if there is food sitting out (that cat is a vacuum and will eat anything).

We come home yesterday and walk into the kitchen and everyone finds themselves staring into the eyes of chip, and the far cat is the size of the counter part he is sitting on.

It was funny but I'm just curious as to why he thought he could get up there. The cats know when they can't do something. I wonder if it had something to do with Tally.

There's a good chance he probably jumps up there when no one is around to scold him. Cats are annoyingly clever sometimes and will intentionally do things they're not supposed to do when they know no one is home. If it is a problem for you, I (as always lol) recommend a deterrent device. Just set it on the counter when you're leaving home and whenever they jump up it'll hit them with a puff of air or water.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────